PDA

View Full Version : Items for a warlock

oxinabox
2009-08-19, 03:21 AM
Anyone have suggestions for Items for a warlock?
Starting at lvl 8.
stats:
STR 8
CON 14
DEX 16
CHA 18
WIS 10
INT 12

I have DR4/cold iron (partly from Fey Skin feat)

I have:
a diguise kit.
a Keeled Mithal Full Plate (+2 to swim, I have the feats so i can cast in it and another so I'm proficnent (max dex to AC +3))
a Longspear

I have 15444 gp left

I'm proably going to get a wand of presigitation.
considering a +2 clock of resistance.
Maybe an iron stone to dex one or the alertness one.
maybe some natural armour (though it may be inpolite to get more AC than the fighter)

Surgestions on my stats would also be aprieciated.
I'm not sure on how important DEX is vs chaisma for warlocks.

Suggestion of feats, invocations, wether or not i should be wearing armour are unnescisairy.

BTW I'm joining, a party containing:
a fighter, a sorcerer, a wild mage (sorcerer), a psion, an rogue, a cleric.
I'm going to be a Tankish / Ranged attack

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-19, 03:30 AM
Chasuble of Fell Power: +2d6 on your EB. From MIC

Rod of Magical Precision: Precise Shot feat + Improved Precise Shot 3/day. So you don't hit your friends when they're in melee with your foes.

Being able to cast in it does not mean proficient in it. You still need proficiency or it will screw with your attack rolls.

Also, DR 4 sucks. Hard. Don't rely on it. Heck, Adamantine Full Plate gives DR 3/Adamantine. And doesn't eat feats.

My suggestion on DEX vs CHA: Go with Mithral Chain Shirt, save yourself the feat to cast in Medium armor, and grab Gloves of Dex +6. That gives you an effective Dex of 22, which is a +6, which is the max a Mithral Chain Shirt allows. Only you'll have higher AC vs touch attacks.

oxinabox
2009-08-19, 03:47 AM
Also, DR 4 sucks. Hard. Don't rely on it. Heck, Adamantine Full Plate gives DR 3/Adamantine. And doesn't eat feats.
I explicty said not to comment on my feats. or my armour.
It's a stylistic choice, and the DR improves when ever i take a fey feat (with i will next lvl prob. to get dimention door,and another couple of spells once oper day)
also I ment that I also had the medium armour proficency feat. (i've editied to make clear)

I thank you for your contributions though, they look good.

Ok, I'll make dex 18, maybe, and cha 16. maybe an enchantemnt or armour mod to increase the dex to AC.

MichielHagen
2009-08-19, 04:07 AM
Chasuble of Fell Power: +2d6 on your EB. From MIC

The Chasuble of Fell Power adds 1d6 for 8000 gp
The Greater Chasuble of Fell Power adds 2d6 for 18000 gp

There is also Warlock's Scepter 8305 gp
For a +1 light mace, +1 on ranged touch attacks and 5/day add 1d6 damage (or 1/day 4d6 or ....)

<edit> oh, and the Gloves of Eldritch Admixture also from MIC, only 2500 gp and 3/day +2d6 damage

And another from MIC Piercer Cloak, only 900 gp and you can add 1d6 extra damage 3/day

Finally from Complete Mage the Least or Lesser Rod of Eldritch Power lets you add blast invocations to your blast

oxinabox
2009-08-19, 06:01 AM
Pincer Cloaks decend.
Esp since i plan to always be flying.
(it has a requirment you must be on "highter ground")

But same slot as cloak of resistance.

My saves are like ref 5, fort 4, will 6.
When i shift my dex, ref will go up 1.
ov not bad.
I like the sound of the cloak.

Then again i need more utility stuff.
Maybe i'll save my money some wands.
and a scroll of Heal.

I got the Crucible +1d6

MichielHagen
2009-08-19, 06:30 AM
Pincer Cloaks decend.
Esp since i plan to always be flying.
(it has a requirment you must be on "highter ground")

But same slot as cloak of resistance.

My saves are like ref 5, fort 4, will 6.
When i shift my dex, ref will go up 1.
ov not bad.
I like the sound of the cloak.

Then again i need more utility stuff.
Maybe i'll save my money some wands.
and a scroll of Heal.

I got the Crucible +1d6

I am assuming english is not your native language, which is not a problem, but to avoid confusion with your DM it is Piercer Cloak and Chasuble.

oxinabox
2009-08-19, 06:38 AM
English is my native language, but i have a disability that affects my spelling.
Think Dislexsia, i have something similar.

I like that I auto succed (just, damn warlock 2 skill points /lvl) on use wand use magic device check, since i can take 10 (even when threatened)
For all wands.

So suggestions for wands?

Glimbur
2009-08-19, 08:43 AM
Instead of a Cloak of Resistance, consider a Vest of Resistance. Same cost, same effect, different body slot.

lsfreak
2009-08-19, 10:48 AM
Or do what they do in MIC (pg 233/234). Get a cloak, add resistance too it for no additional cost.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-19, 05:12 PM
Or get a Rod of Greater Resistance, which has a duration of 24 hours, and gives a +6 to all resistances... or just get Devil's Own Luck to increase your saves.

Rod of Magical Precision is still probably your best bet if you intend to be blasting frequently.

sofawall
2009-08-19, 05:41 PM
Dark One's Own Luck.

A phrase I am convinced a D&D writer took from Wheel of Time.

oxinabox
2009-08-19, 06:13 PM
Rod of Magical Precision is still probably your best bet if you intend to be blasting frequently.
I really don't. it's not an incredibly combat heavy game. (isn't it only grappleing i have to worry about?) ) I'm thinking i'll save, get money some wands.

Anyone knbow a cursed weapon that constantly deals <4 damage to the weilder?
For the lols I have DR. no one else in the party can pickup my weapon

I'm currently looking at making my longspear rimfire Ice (For Lols) but 750 gp, and it has the nasty sideeffect of providing 20ft illumination.

thegurullamen
2009-08-19, 06:19 PM
Cursed items tend to be nasty enough to bypass DR. They're jerks like that.

I say just homebrew something akin to Vicious. Deals an extra 1d6 to both you and the opponent. At the worst, you're looking at 1 or 2 damage from a weapon you'll hardly use as it is.

Also, all magical weapons have a 35% chance to shed light as per the spell from the innate magic. You needn't pay extra for it.

deuxhero
2009-08-19, 07:51 PM
Skip the wand and get a ring (infinate uses) of presigitation for 2000 something gold, not only cheeper in the long run, but the spell has an infinite duration as a ring so the effects presist forever.

oxinabox
2009-08-20, 12:16 AM
Skip the wand and get a ring (infinate uses) of presigitation for 2000 something gold, not only cheeper in the long run, but the spell has an infinite duration as a ring so the effects presist forever.

I think the party has one. but there is fighting over it.
the dm put it in when he was mentioning small nicknacs.
And Who cares about the long run, this is 50 hours worth for 375 gp.
why would i ever need more than that? assuming i do it twice a day thats almost a in game month.
with the money i save i can get a wand of cure light woulds a wand of mending, a wand of bull strength. ( think that goes over a little)
also wand fit the style of caster i'm aiming for.
cos he don't know magic (arcana 1, spell craft 1, ()i dopn't want to take the shine away from the sorcerers), but: "I shake it, and stuff happens"

Considering Wand of Magic missile for when things are oup of range of E. blast, but think it would be better to get something that impoves my Fly speed.

Cursed items tend to be nasty enough to bypass DR. They're jerks like that.

I say just homebrew something akin to Vicious. Deals an extra 1d6 to both you and the opponent. At the worst, you're looking at 1 or 2 damage from a weapon you'll hardly use as it is.

Also, all magical weapons have a 35% chance to shed light as per the spell from the innate magic. You needn't pay extra for it
Rimfire ice isn't a curse, it's a special mundane material.
I would play extra not to have it shine, i have dark vison, and bulk disuges (a glowing spear would give me away)
I'm going to talk to the DM about getting my shaft of my longspear (no the point) made form poisonous wood.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-20, 12:27 AM
Poison would still affect you, regardless of DR. See if you can get something like Blade's sword which cuts off the hand of anyone who doesn't know the trick.

oxinabox
2009-08-20, 01:27 AM
Poison would still affect you, regardless of DR. See if you can get something like Blade's sword which cuts off the hand of anyone who doesn't know the trick.

Yeah i know (in 4e poison is a damage type, in 3.5 it's something to save against so you don't take damage (most often to an attibute))
THe idea is that the damage is negated by my DR not that noone else can use the weapon.
anyone coukld use a trick like that without DR.

Seffbasilisk
2009-08-20, 01:38 AM
Have the poison be 'Injury' type, and have a barb or two in the handle (maybe a reflex save to avoid?) Even if the barbs are 1d3 or 1d4 (unlikely, as that's dagger sized) your DR will ignore it, and if can't get past your DR, it can't damage you.

oxinabox
2009-08-20, 01:45 AM
Have the poison be 'Injury' type, and have a barb or two in the handle (maybe a reflex save to avoid?) Even if the barbs are 1d3 or 1d4 (unlikely, as that's dagger sized) your DR will ignore it, and if can't get past your DR, it can't damage you.

Exactly! only maybe instead of a barb it might secrete a liquid (maybe acidic?). so gloves and gauntlets don't get around it

So far on the wand front:
prestigitation (spelling?)
cure light wounds
disguise self

will get Longstride if the DM will let me apply the bonus land speed to my fell flight speed (which is equal to your land speed)
on that note: can you sleep while flying (the invocation lasts 24 hours, and the dm is giving everyone rings of sustenance free)

What are the RAW/RAI rules for the Caster lvl of the wands?

Currently my plan to introduce my character (He's the nephew of my character who died), is to disguise my self as my old dead character:
Disguise check, using Disuguise self and my disguis kit:
d20+14+10+2=d20+26
I roll a one and I can probably pull it off for half the party.
I roll a 20, and it's considered a practically impossible check.
I think the best spot in the party is the fighter.
though we're gain a rogue next session

Tokiko Mima
2009-08-20, 05:13 AM
From Complete Mage:

Horizon Goggles. +50% range on all your ranged attacks, including ranged touch attacks.

Rod of Eldritch Power. Buy these and place all the Eldritch Essense and Blast Shape Invocations you might use a couple times a day (which should be most of them.) The only ones I wouldn't do this with is Eldritch Glaive, and Eldritch Chain, because I use those way too much. This is good way to get access to Utterdark Blast early.

Basic Protection items:

Ring of Freedom of Movement. As an arcane caster your foes are going to want to grapple you, a lot. Don't let them. Also provides immunity to a vast swath of spell, including the Hold X line. Great underwater! DMG

Third Eye: Conceal. Expensive, but worth it for a Mind Blank that is almost impossible to remove. Protects you not only from mind affecting spells, but also all forms of scrying. MIC

Scout Headband. A cheap item that gives you brief 1/day access to True Seeing. Illusions can be a pain, but with True Seeing, they're suddenly no threat at all. MIC

Belt of Battle. One of the most OP items in existance from a cost/benefit perspective. Gain an extra full round of actions 1/day. This will save your tail in a crisis. MIC

Wands! Make yourself a Wand of Divine Power when you can afford it. It's very handy, especially if you're using Eldritch Glaive. Wands of CLW are also handy. If the DM starts throwing Warlocks at you to counter your tactics, consider a Wand of Ray Deflection. Be careful though, because this spell is just as good at making you suck as well.

Jack_Banzai
2009-08-20, 05:21 AM
I have often found it useful, with my Fey Skin warlock, to carry around a normal nonmagical dagger. With a DR of 5/cold iron, it is occasionally funny to make Intimidate rolls while slowly pushing the dagger into my own eye. Check out Vampire Hunter D (the original anime, not that horrible sequel) for an amusing sequence illustrating this point.

oxinabox
2009-08-20, 05:46 AM
I have often found it useful, with my Fey Skin warlock, to carry around a normal nonmagical dagger. With a DR of 5/cold iron, it is occasionally funny to make Intimidate rolls while slowly pushing the dagger into my own eye. Check out Vampire Hunter D (the original anime, not that horrible sequel) for an amusing sequence illustrating this point.
I like!
Just for lols is nothing else.

Rod of even least eldritch might is expensive 4000gop,
I only have one essance (Shaking) and on Blast shape Chain.
I'll suggest that to the DM as somehting he might like to consider as treasure.
I'll retrain out of the old essence when i get a better one availble. retaining the old slot in to some least utitly invocation.
Rod of many wand also looks hand but VERY expensive 27,000 gpI'll suggest the horizon goggles to the DM also.

On another topic:
My saves are looking good now.
FORT +5 (extra +5 against poison (this DM loves poison))
REF +7
WILL +7 (extra +3 against enchantment)

If the DM starts throwing Warlocks at you to counter your tactics,
I had noticed that i was most vunerable to myself even with skills:
Awesome Bluff and Disguise, 0 spot, no ranks in sense motive

kamikasei
2009-08-20, 05:53 AM
In place of a wand of prestidigitation, consider an eternal wand of prestidigitation. 460gp, casts 2/day forever.

oxinabox
2009-08-20, 06:11 AM
In place of a wand of prestidigitation, consider an eternal wand of prestidigitation. 460gp, casts 2/day forever.
Tempting, very tempting.

oxinabox
2009-08-20, 09:38 PM
DM's says (i guess it could be ocnsidered a houes rule) that with wands your caster lvl=you character lvl

I'm looking at getting
Ray on enfeblement wand
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (45 ft.)
Effect: Ray
Duration: 1 min./level=8 minutes
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

A coruscating ray springs from your hand. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike a target. The subject takes a penalty to Strength equal to 1d6+1 per two caster levels (maximum 1d6+5). The subject’s Strength score cannot drop below 1.

So I'ld make a touch ranged attack (which as a warlock i'm good at)
No Save.
take 1d6+4 str damage for the next 80 rounds.
2, 3 hits of that and almost anything is neutraised.
EDIT: doesn't stack with itself. on well, one hit and suddenly the orc barbain is at leat 20% less dangerous, the commoner, is proable crushed beneath his cloths, and about 30% chance full plate wearing fighter can't move.

It's my one combat worthy wand

Cost: 750 gp

OK i have ~500 gp left.
Maybe a wand holder (+100 gp) to my dagger? so i can opertunity attack when i have a wand out?
I've already got one for my longspear.

I might convert the last of it in to 100 gp gems.
or maybe Mithrel? how much is 1 pound of mythral worth?

Oh, does anyone have a source for the cost of Glass Diamonds?
I have enough bluff to pull that off.
The DM says i can, he also says there should be a source book somewhere with a price for them.