PDA

View Full Version : What class is Dr. Strange? [D&D 3.5]

The Witch-King
2009-08-20, 07:56 PM
http://www.geocities.com/patchlord/imagem/dr_strange.jpg

WHAT CLASS IS STEPHEN STRANGE?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Strange

If he were a part of the D&D universe (3.5 edition), what class would Dr. Strange be?

He's not a wizard because he doesn't have to prepare his spells.

He's not a sorcerer because he often calls on the power of gods and other celestial beings (such as the Eternal Vishanti).

He's not a cleric because when he turned his back on his divine patrons and renounced their power--he was only weakened.

He has far more versatility than any Warlock but his fluff matches the Warlock the closest in that it's said he's made many pacts with various gods and celestial beings for power--which eventually came around to bite him in his backside when his celestial patrons, the Vishanti, asked him to leave the Earth to go fight in one of their wars for five thousand years (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/War_of_the_Seven_Spheres).

Strange can make use of psychic abilities developed from training his own mind (such as telepathy, hypnosis and astral travel), use of ambient elemental and universal cosmic energies as well as divine sources and has even learned to steal the powers of celestial entities (although this last is considered the worst form of 'black magic'). See: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Stephen_Strange_%28Earth-616%29

So--given all that--is he just a Mystic Theurge with some Warlock levels thrown in or something we haven't seen before?

If you had to put your finger on, what class (or classes) would you say Dr. Strange is?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-20, 08:03 PM
Dr. Strange gains his powers from making pacts, and it is canon that if the science of man can do it, he cannot.

To me, that sounds a lot like binders and vestiges.

Certain vestiges provide all the benefits you've described: at-will abilities, divine and arcane spell effects, telepathy, and teleportation all "stolen" from vestiges.

Deth Muncher
2009-08-20, 08:06 PM
Dr. Strange gains his powers from making pacts, and it is canon that if the science of man can do it, he cannot.

To me, that sounds a lot like binders and vestiges.

Certain vestiges provide all the benefits you've described: at-will abilities, divine and arcane spell effects, telepathy, and teleportation all "stolen" from vestiges.

Seconded. Although perhaps he's a Sorceror/Binder mix, since he still had power when he did the aforementioned renouncing of the gods.

Tiki Snakes
2009-08-20, 09:26 PM
He's a Doctor Strange. Obviously.

You're asking the wrong question. It isn't 'What class is he' but 'what class would best enable me to play a Doctor-Strange style character?'

In which case basically any arcane would be fine, but Binder, Warlock, Sorcerer all work fine. (Just because he calls on gods and spirits doesn't rule out Sorcerer, it's just a re-fluffing, and really, he is the Sorcerer Supreme after all!)

[edit]Really, probably some kind of Binder//Sorcerer Gestalt? That'd about do it, I'd guess.

Gralamin
2009-08-20, 09:32 PM
[edit]Really, probably some kind of Binder//Sorcerer Gestalt? That'd about do it, I'd guess.

This sounds good. I might say he has some levels of Urpriest though.

Godskook
2009-08-20, 09:36 PM
Sounds like a mystic theurge(sorcerer entry) to me, honestly.

MisterSaturnine
2009-08-20, 09:48 PM
Maybe Anima Mage? Binder/Sorcerer sounds like a good compromise, after all. Removing the fluff where he torments the vestiges he binds.

Emy
2009-08-20, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a mystic theurge(sorcerer entry) to me, honestly.

A Sorcerer/Ur-Priest/Mystic Theurge.

Strawman
2009-08-20, 09:58 PM
Since he's from marvel, he'll have to have an ability that lets him come back to life randomly. And then die six encounters later.

What about Dr. Strangelove?

9mm
2009-08-20, 09:59 PM
... honestly he's probably an archivist/wizard who's finagled in some spontaneous, see not all of what he does is binding, he has a few spells he's cast so many times he can do them from memory, but he also has to research up spells used less often.

dragonfan6490
2009-08-20, 11:22 PM
Honestly? I would say that he is a Sorcerer blessed by the gods to know every spell in existence, or a Wizard blessed with Spontaneous Magic. Basically, divine intervention.

Xyk
2009-08-20, 11:30 PM
Seconded. Although perhaps he's a Sorceror/Binder mix, since he still had power when he did the aforementioned renouncing of the gods.

I just wanted you to know that I'm honored to have you snag my quote for your signature. That was a particularly hilarious one that I did not remember. I don't think mine have ever been sig-ified. :smallbiggrin:

[/offtopic]

I would say that Dr. Strange is closest to a warlock in most of his abilities and fluff, but many things he does resemble a Mystic Theurge. I'd say Gestalt. One side is Warlock and the other is mystic theurge.

AstralFire
2009-08-20, 11:31 PM
Epic Psion//Binder.

Vancian casting and anything with Spell Slots doesn't really work for comics.

PId6
2009-08-20, 11:35 PM
Warlock/Ur Priest/Eldritch Disciple?

Tallis
2009-08-21, 12:08 AM
Monk

Don't forget he's a highly trained martial artist. He's beaten Dormammu in hand to hand combat.

Of course he's a demi-god of magic on top of his monk levels.

Deth Muncher
2009-08-21, 12:13 AM
I just wanted you to know that I'm honored to have you snag my quote for your signature. That was a particularly hilarious one that I did not remember. I don't think mine have ever been sig-ified. :smallbiggrin:

[/offtopic]

^_^ Hehe. Don'tcha just love it?

Kurald Galain
2009-08-21, 03:26 AM
If you had to put your finger on, what class (or classes) would you say Dr. Strange is?

Omnicaster. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3945177)

Coidzor
2009-08-21, 04:12 AM
Well, he may or may not have retrained those ~3 levels of expert from when he was a surgeon...