PDA

View Full Version : Shadow themed spells

MichielHagen
2009-08-22, 10:38 AM
I am looking for spells with a shadow theme. They also have to be usefull (in other words not suck completely) for a gish and be on a Wizard spell list (level 5 or lower).
The spells need not have the "Shadow" subschool.
Anything in official, non-webpublished, non-dragon magazine, non-campaign-specific books will do.

Currently i have:
Wraithstrike (obviously very good for a gish)
Shadow Binding
Shadow Spray
Shadow Well
Net of Shadows

all from Spell Compendium

Eloel
2009-08-22, 10:45 AM
Shadow Form is a 5th level spell that lets you go through walls - including Wall of Force & Forcecage at sufficient levels.

ghost_warlock
2009-08-22, 12:32 PM
If you check my sig, you'll find my homebrew class, the shadowmage. The thread contains a spell list that's primarily made up of shadowy spells. There's also a hosted .rtf file in the 'archival' section that includes sources for the spells.

peacenlove
2009-08-22, 01:26 PM
Check the Tome of Magic section about Shadow magic. The middle one :smallbiggrin:
There are 60 mysteries there that can be imported as spells (with DM fiat), as well as a class that is sturdier (thus more appealing as a gish) but more restrictive (and thus weaker) that the wizard : the shadowcaster.
This web article expands upon said material (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a)
Should that material catch your eye This insanely big thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74519) further supports (and empowers) shadow magic, and having playtested some parts of it, i heartily recommend it.

MichielHagen
2009-08-22, 05:16 PM
Thanks, i can work out what i need with this information :smallbiggrin:

AslanCross
2009-08-22, 05:30 PM
Never forget Shadow Conjuration. It's useful all around and can even be used to clone a low-level telportation spell (Dimension Step, PHB2).

MichielHagen
2009-08-23, 06:32 AM
I never really understood "Shadow Conjuration", but it does say the spell needs to have the (Summoning) or (Creation) subschool, not?

AslanCross
2009-08-23, 06:48 AM
I never really understood "Shadow Conjuration", but it does say the spell needs to have the (Summoning) or (Creation) subschool, not?

You're right. My bad.

In any case the spell is still quite useful, as it copies spells that might not normally be on your list. It's best used to clone utility spells. Phantom Steed is one. There are a lot more elsewhere (see Spell Compendium and PHB2 for starters), but it's these kinds of spells where the 20% real clause won't matter. If it's used for offensive spells, the target gets a will save to disbelieve, dropping the damage down to 20%. If you use it to clone a stinking cloud, the targets get both a Will Save and the original Fort save the spell calls for. If they succeed on a Will Save, you need to roll d%. If they get 20 or below, the spell is real and they need to make the Fort save.

As such it's kind of lame when used with offensive spells, but with utility spells it has a lot of uses for just one spell slot.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-23, 09:35 AM
No one cares if your Obscuring Mist isn't real. It's still pretty obscuring.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-23, 10:34 PM
You're right. My bad.

In any case the spell is still quite useful, as it copies spells that might not normally be on your list. It's best used to clone utility spells. Phantom Steed is one. There are a lot more elsewhere (see Spell Compendium and PHB2 for starters), but it's these kinds of spells where the 20% real clause won't matter. If it's used for offensive spells, the target gets a will save to disbelieve, dropping the damage down to 20%. If you use it to clone a stinking cloud, the targets get both a Will Save and the original Fort save the spell calls for. If they succeed on a Will Save, you need to roll d%. If they get 20 or below, the spell is real and they need to make the Fort save.

As such it's kind of lame when used with offensive spells, but with utility spells it has a lot of uses for just one spell slot.Shadowcraft Mage.
"I make the will save!"
"You take 140% of 20d6, then."
:smallconfused::smalleek:

Fizban
2009-08-24, 08:11 AM
Shadow Weapon and Shadow Phase, also from the Spell Compendium. Both 3rd level. Even assuming your enemies always make their saves, Shadow Weapon is basically wraithstrike for 1 round/level at half damage, and if they fail there's no loss. Swift action to form a scythe/heavy sickle of darkness that cuts down foes as if they weren't wearing armor? Yes please! Shadow Phase is basically displacement but with more awesome and less being negated completely by true seeing (which tons of high level monsters get for free).

Claws of Darkness at 2nd level gives you a pair of claw attacks with reach for cold damage with extra grappling effects. Not my favorite but usable, you may not have noticed it because it doesn't seem to be in the spell lists at the end of the book, but it's in there. Wall of Gloom is a 2nd level wall of shadow that blocks line of sight: Darkness won't do that normally but a fog spell would probably work better than the wall. Veil of Shadow is Blur but with darkness instead of illusion: I don't think that actually makes it any better, but again it has the darkness. Remember that at higher levels a reliable miss chance is more valuable than AC, since AC will only make them power attack for a bit less while a miss chance can negate the entire attack.

Cyclocone
2009-08-24, 08:25 AM
Legion of Sentinels from PHBII is fun, though perhaps not all that powerfull, if you can farm AoOs.