PDA

View Full Version : False accusations suck

Winter_Wolf
2009-08-24, 04:15 AM
Speaking as the victim this time. Basically, a certain large internet based auction/marketplace (who shall remain nameless) has suspended my account pending a fraud investigation. :smallannoyed:

It started as a "routine identity verification" according to the CSR I spoke with the first time. Then it became, "based on the responses to our arbitrary method of determining your identity from things that you don't remember from 6-8 years ago, we'll need you to send in some physical documents." :smallmad:

Now it's escalated to "well, we're just gonna come out and accuse you of trying to defraud customers, even though we don't have any complaints and all customers have apparently received the items they've paid for so far.":smallfurious:

Oh, also I got double billed and they've stated "we're not going to refund your money, it's your own fault for paying us twice." This, despite being sent the freaking invoice and clearly having documentation that they have about $40 US more of my money than they ought. :furious:

I just had to vent. The situation's been brewing for a while, though at this point it might do to say the pot's boiled over and the stew has become a congealed blackened mess. Okay so I'm no good with metaphors.

daggaz
2009-08-24, 04:22 AM
Get a lawyer. Even a law student from the local university.

Jalor
2009-08-24, 04:47 AM
What, they couldn't just ask a former customer of yours? What happened to all the competent businesses?

Coidzor
2009-08-24, 04:51 AM
Bizarre out of ten...

That double-billing thing is dubious alone...

Aotrs Commander
2009-08-24, 05:11 AM
This doesn't surprise me. Said organisation and it's associated money-transferrance organisation have a bit or a reputation for shenanigans. I lost a lot of money (£100) thanks to the two of them; when taken in by a scam on their site, they didn't cover me like both websites claimed they did. I ended up finding out that this sort of thing is not, sadly, uncommon. I have heard tales about people who have had their accounts suspended for years, despite their best efforts. I sincerely hope that it's not that bad for you.

Vmag
2009-08-24, 11:13 AM
What on earth sort of service are you using? Sure, online buying and selling is great for the uber convenience and price involved, but you gotta keep track on some of those guys; they can be just as conniving as the insurance industry.

arguskos
2009-08-24, 11:18 AM
What on earth sort of service are you using? Sure, online buying and selling is great for the uber convenience and price involved, but you gotta keep track on some of those guys; they can be just as conniving as the insurance industry.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they are speaking of eBay and Paypal, though why we aren't using the names is beyond me. It's not like it's a crime to say they frauded you, especially if it's true!

On this note, my condolences sirs, it's pretty sucky. I personally have never had any issues with their service, but I know others who have, and it is a shame that these two giants are dishonest with their customers. You'd figure they'd be a bit fairer in their actions, no? :smallsigh:

Mushroom Ninja
2009-08-24, 11:18 AM
Get a lawyer. Even a law student from the local university.

This. Also, make sure to keep all documents your accusers send you as well as all emails.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-24, 12:53 PM
Dude that sucks. If arguskos is right, the only time I've had to deal abnormally with them was getting my money back from some ass who lied in his ad, and they worked really well then.

All I can say is make sure you don't back down over it, if you let them put it on the back burner they'll use time to confuse facts. That I learned from the electric company.

This. Also, make sure to keep all documents your accusers send you as well as all emails.

Very important. If you can show them an actual duplicate of what they've said (especially if it outright proves them wrong) they will be far more likely to admit fault. Lists scare people, especially companies like them.

Thajocoth
2009-08-24, 01:21 PM
They owe you money. This completely changes the nature of what you're talking to in most cases. I was once owed $5 from CapitalOne. Suddenly, it was like the entire concept of customer service vanished. Though, canceling my account with them did get them to send me a check...

Good luck

thubby
2009-08-24, 01:37 PM
if they get away with it once in a while they make money. threatening to take action is often enough to get them to yield.

Winter_Wolf
2009-08-25, 01:16 AM
It is indeed eBay. They were remaining nameless because I can't find any combination of GitP smilies that properly convey the sheer disgust and rage over the whole thing when I even think of them, let alone words. I haven't had problems with PayPal yet, but then again I haven't tried to get my cash from them. Also, they keep harping on wanting a bank account to link to, but I'll move my business to a more friendly venue and just disallow people to pay by that service if they want to be crappy about it.

As far as anything else, I'm in China for the foreseeable future working on my wife's immigration stuff, so my hands are kind of tied about getting anything productive done regarding the eBay mafia. I have no qualms calling them that on the grounds of being victim of their organized theft and extortion. I have a hard time believing it can be anything else, considering how suspicious it is that they shut down my account after the automatic billing cycle (don't sign up for that!) but "before our [eBay's] accounts are reconciled for the month".

Anyway I'm gonna try to work within their corrupt little system for a little longer and see if they just get tired to being asses (though I suspect it's unlikely), and worst case scenario I'm out about $100 US (the money eBay scammed from me plus what's left in PayPal if they pull a **** move.) At this point threat without follow-through won't work, and I don't fancy trying to wrangle with them using a Chinese lawyer.

At least the scope of my little experiment in eBay selling was not really big, so I can always wholesale the surplus inventory to some of the local shops when I get back to the states.

Thanks for the advice all, I do read even if I don't reply right away.