PDA

View Full Version : Another question about powerful build.

DUSUCK
2009-08-25, 10:13 AM
Ok so I know goliaths powerful build and monkey grip don't stack.

My character is a half ogre Goliath so he is large and has powerful build, my question is if I could use enlarge person to become huge and use a gargantuan weapon?

Also I had someone tell me that a half giants powerful build was different from a goliaths because their ability stacks with monkey grip. Is this true?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-25, 10:16 AM

My character is a half ogre Goliath so he is large and has powerful build, my question is if I could use enlarge person to become huge and use a gargantuan weapon?You can't, but only because you're not a valid target for enlarge person since you're no longer a Humanoid.

Also I had someone tell me that a half giants powerful build was different from a goliaths because their ability stacks with monkey grip. Is this true?

It's not.

Yuki Akuma
2009-08-25, 10:18 AM
All versions of Powerful Build say that they let you wield a weapon one size category larger than yourself without penalty.

Monkey Grip says you can wield a weapon one size category larger than you in your main or both hands at a -2 penalty.

This is why they don't stack.

Both stack with spells and powers that change your actual size - but if you're a giant you can't be the target of enlarge person. You need enlarge monster.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-25, 10:40 AM

My character is a half ogre Goliath so he is large and has powerful build, my question is if I could use enlarge person to become huge and use a gargantuan weapon?

If you absolutely, positively must wield such a weapon, you could take Monkey Grip and then the Goliath Barbarian substitution level, which causes you to grow a size category when you rage (RAW, it might say large, but that's only due to the fact that Goliath's are normally medium sized). Of course, even if RAW supports this, you've got the issue of lugging around a weapon too big for you to wield if you can't rage.

Alternatively, find some way to get Giant Size thrown on you, so you can wield a Colossal+ sized weapon.

Cyclocone
2009-08-25, 10:48 AM
There's always the Titan Bloodline. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#titan):smalltongue:

FMArthur
2009-08-25, 10:52 AM
Well, a normal medium character can wield a Huge light weapon as a two-hander at a -4 penalty. Powerful Build improves that to a Gargantuan weapon at -4, Enlarge Monster improves that to colossal at -4 or augmented Expansion instead of Enlarge Monster lets you wield a 1-handed colossal weapon in two hands with only a -2 penalty.

Yuki Akuma
2009-08-25, 02:34 PM
Well, a normal medium character can wield a Huge light weapon as a two-hander at a -4 penalty. Powerful Build improves that to a Gargantuan weapon at -4, Enlarge Monster improves that to colossal at -4 or augmented Expansion instead of Enlarge Monster lets you wield a 1-handed colossal weapon in two hands with only a -2 penalty.

No, that's not how it works. You can only wield weapons one size category larger than you are, as they're meant to be wielded. It does nothing for larger weapons.

DUSUCK
2009-08-26, 07:51 AM
Ok guys thanks for all the help!

Grumman
2009-08-26, 08:31 AM
Of course, even if RAW supports this, you've got the issue of lugging around a weapon too big for you to wield if you can't rage.
The Sizing weapon property from the Magic Item Compendium might be appropriate, and it only costs 5,000 gp.

paddyfool
2009-08-26, 09:02 AM
Spells/enhancements that increase the size of your weapon, such as Shillelagh or Greater magic wallop stack nicely with size increases to your person, incidentally. The only problem is that these tend to consume an extra round for buffing.

FMArthur
2009-08-27, 01:54 AM
No, that's not how it works. You can only wield weapons one size category larger than you are, as they're meant to be wielded. It does nothing for larger weapons.

From the PHB:
Inappropriately Sized Weapons: A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative –2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. Thus, a human wielding a Small dagger takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls (one size category different), and an ogre wielding a Small longsword takes a –4 penalty (two size categories different). If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon (a wizard attempting to wield a Small battleaxe, for instance), a –4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or twohanded weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. For instance, a Small greatsword (a two-handed weapon for a Small creature) is considered a one-handed weapon for a Medium creature, or a light weapon for a Large creature. Conversely, a Large dagger (a light weapon for a Large creature) is considered a one-handed weapon for a Medium creature, or a two-handed weapon for a Small creature. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.