PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Need help. How would you balance normal races into Dawnforge?

Pika...
2009-08-25, 10:39 PM
Pika,

So I just picked up Dawnforge. I love it, and want to try and merge it into my world's fluff as one of the ages I had written up (but it will need some MAJOR reworking...).

Anyway, I am only by page 15, but I have already found a problem concerning the races adjusted in Dawnforge (the Gnome, Halfling, Light Elf/High Elf, Night Elf/ Drow, Lizardfolk, etc). In my setting's history I had all the elf races, dwarven races, and the orcs and goblinoids hanging around the time I want to insert this in, plus at the time the other "younger races" were coming in, so I would encourage players to play them if they wanted. But the races in Dawnforge are artificially adjusted in power.

Has anyone who has run Dawnforge dealt with this? Would you have any advice on how to balance this issue?

Temet Nosce
2009-08-25, 11:11 PM
First off, I wouldn't. Why? Because while if you're only fifteen pages in you may not realize yet but there are major differences. Racial feats, bonuses that increase as you level, etc (from what I recall each race has a chart detailing at what level they get types of feats and stat increases in addition to their set ones).

If you really had to though, and wanted to do it well you'd need to write up similar things for all the races which aren't covered. Although some +1/+2 LA races might function fine in Dawnforge, but they'd be heavy towards the beginning and not get the ongoing bonuses Dawnforge races do.

So basically, you'd want to examine all the bonuses gotten by Dawnforge races and write up similar charts for the races you intend to bring in, along with feats and the like to go with them. It'd be pretty annoying, but doable if you have the spare time. Alternatively you could just destroy what (in my opinion) is one of the most awesome things in Dawnforge and nix all the extra racial bonuses. It'd be a serious pity though, the Dawnforge races are great both flavor and crunch wise. The racial feats are rather interesting as well.