PDA

View Full Version : One-Shot Homo-Erotic Ad by Snickers

Tequila Sunrise
2009-08-26, 11:48 AM
As far as I know this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjuXbYW6KmE&feature=player_embedded) ad was only run for a very short time, which is a shame. Who says homophobia isn't alive and well?

Rutskarn
2009-08-26, 11:52 AM
It would probably help if it were funny, or made me want to eat Snickers.

Totally Guy
2009-08-26, 12:09 PM
I'm sure I'd seen a gay couple sharing a moment on a maltesers advert. But google shows nothing.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-08-26, 02:30 PM
Glug, what is maltesers?

It would probably help if it were funny, or made me want to eat Snickers.
Really, I think it's hilarious. But then again I already love Snickers.

Icewalker
2009-08-26, 02:35 PM
While it certainly doesn't make me want to eat snickers any more than before, I do remember the ad. Quite hilarious.

OverdrivePrime
2009-08-26, 02:40 PM
Ripped out chest hair is unappetizing. I prefer the hilariously self-parodying Mr. T snickers ads (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NySN_plfiNI). At least I hope Mr. T is consciously self-parodying. >__>

Mordokai
2009-08-26, 02:42 PM
I find it amusing enough.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-08-26, 04:33 PM
Mr. T is pretty funny whether he's being paid by Snickers or WoW.

Totally Guy
2009-08-26, 05:25 PM
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnaLG9CMWWc) is what I believe to be the remake of this advert featuring a straight couple. I remember hearing controversy around it which would normally make it easy to find but I don't see it. Maybe the one I thought I'd seen was shelved before they made it and I remember the controversy around that.

Maltesers are little honeycomb balls covered in chocolate.

skywalker
2009-08-26, 05:35 PM
As far as I know this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjuXbYW6KmE&feature=player_embedded) ad was only run for a very short time, which is a shame. Who says homophobia isn't alive and well?

Do you mean the ad is homophobic or that the ad's removal was an example of homophobia?

Because I personally think the former is more likely...

Don Julio Anejo
2009-08-26, 11:56 PM
Oh man, that ad is the best thing I've seen all week :amused:

PS: I think it pokes more fun at homophobic men than anything else. I don't think it's homophobic in any way...

Rutskarn
2009-08-26, 11:58 PM
Huh. Guess I'm in the minority.

Then yeah, I guess it's a bit odd that they took it down. It's not even that bad, really--enough to start some controversy certainly, but not terribly objectionable.

Quincunx
2009-08-27, 06:47 AM
Malteasers are known as Whoppers in the U.S.

Most advertising passes me by, but I noticed Microsoft was under scrutiny for its poor (in several senses) Photoshopping in ads for different markets.

Totally Guy
2009-08-27, 11:14 AM
But how can they be a lighter way to enjoy chocolate if they're called whoppers?:smallfrown:

We've not had a sweets rebranding in a long time. Marathon became Snickers and Opal Fruits bacame Starburst... I don't think they've enforced any recent name changes because everyone blames America every time it happens.

Mando Knight
2009-08-27, 11:24 AM
Ripped out chest hair is unappetizing. I prefer the hilariously self-parodying Mr. T snickers ads (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NySN_plfiNI). At least I hope Mr. T is consciously self-parodying. >__>

I pity da foo' who don't like Mr. T ads!

Faulty
2009-08-27, 11:26 AM

That was hilarious. He hit the guy in the face with the Snickers, haha.

The feast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PazN7y-jofk) ones are the best.

Trog
2009-08-27, 02:40 PM
I've had Snickers... they are probably my favorite candy bar... but they sure ain't good enough to make me bite one hanging out of someone's mouth. Get real, Snickers. :smalltongue:

The Mr. T commercial, however, was awesome! :smallbiggrin:

TRM
2009-08-27, 03:10 PM
I've had Snickers... they are probably my favorite candy bar... but they sure ain't good enough to make me bite one hanging out of someone's mouth. Get real, Snickers. :smalltongue:

The Mr. T commercial, however, was awesome! :smallbiggrin:
What the hell, Snickers. I hope that their next advertisement more accurately reflects consumption of their product. I think it should feature me plucking a Snickers bar from the mouth of Megan Fox.

On the ad: I saw it in 2007. I laughed. It is kind of funny, but not really sexually charged enough to lend weight to the "homophobia influenced this decision" hypothesis, or humorous enough to bear a repeat watching.

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-27, 03:15 PM
On the ad: I saw it in 2007. I laughed. It is kind of funny, but not really sexually charged enough to lend weight to the "homophobia influenced this decision" hypothesis, or humorous enough to bear a repeat watching.

Yeah, it really just falls under the "stupid joke" category.

Stormthorn
2009-08-27, 10:25 PM
PS: I think it pokes more fun at homophobic men than anything else. I don't think it's homophobic in any way...

I agree. And i found it funny.

Also 1 Interwebz to whoever brought up the Feast coms. Those was great stuff.

Strawman
2009-08-27, 11:22 PM
I guess some people still find two men kissing more offensive than all the curse words, violence, and hetero sex that is allowed in primetime tv.

Linkavitch
2009-08-29, 08:57 PM
Mr. T is pretty funny whether he's being paid by Snickers or WoW.

I thought Ozzy Osbourne was really funny when he was being paid by WoW. And that cell phone company.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-29, 09:32 PM
This ad was funny.

It made me laugh out loud.

Yarram
2009-08-29, 09:36 PM
That turns me off snickers... So hard.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-08-29, 09:43 PM
What the hell, Snickers. I hope that their next advertisement more accurately reflects consumption of their product. I think it should feature me plucking a Snickers bar from the mouth of Megan Fox.
I think I may be the only hetero male in the world who is turned OFF by Megan Fox. All I wanna do is smack her, and not in a good way.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-08-29, 10:22 PM
I thought Ozzy Osbourne was really funny when he was being paid by WoW. And that cell phone company.
I'm pretty apathetic about Ozzy, but maybe that's because I got sick of his so called "reality" show.

I think I may be the only hetero male in the world who is turned OFF by Megan Fox. All I wanna do is smack her, and not in a good way.
Really? I had to google her, but I wouldn't smack her off my mouth. Now if Snickers ever paid Uma Thurman to be in their ad, I wouldn't be able to eat a snickers for a while. There's one whose appeal I don't get.

Raistlin1040
2009-08-29, 10:29 PM

Well, I'm bisexual, but I agree.

orchitect
2009-08-29, 10:35 PM
That was funny. Does it make me want to eat a Snicker's bar? No, but I won't ever forget that commercial!

Haha, Megan Fox. You're not the only guy in the world who wouldn't miss her.

She hogs all of the screen time from Shaia Lebouf. :smallsmile:

Don Julio Anejo
2009-08-29, 11:52 PM
She hogs all of the screen time from Shaia Lebouf. :smallsmile:
Isn't that a good thing? :smallamused:

averagejoe
2009-08-30, 03:45 AM
Who says homophobia isn't alive and well?

That's a good question. No one as far as I know.

Faulty
2009-08-30, 09:45 AM

Megan Fox makes me think of STDs.

TRM
2009-08-30, 03:30 PM
No, I wouldn't say you are. There are certainly more attractive women out there, she was just what came to mind.

Hecktar
2009-08-31, 01:22 AM

Ugh. How many Super Bowl Commercials are run for long times? Not even that lots of commercials in general get pulled, some of them I find to be funny/effective some I don't. I find it so counter-productive when people jump to the conclusion that it is because of homophobia, race, gender etc. as a reason for something with really NO PROOF of it at all.

I'll be honest and say if I see two guys kissing and really going at it I find it pretty gross, it disgusts me even, I would never try to stop them or tell them they didn't have the right to do it or even do anything other than look away. I had ZERO problem with this commercial however and thought it was pretty funny when I first saw it. You're jumping to conclusions and not helping by bringing up a fairly trivial matter as this as homophobic without having some sort of proof or indication of that as a factor in it being pulled.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-08-31, 11:25 AM
I find it so counter-productive when people jump to the conclusion that it is because of homophobia, race, gender etc. as a reason for something with really NO PROOF of it at all.

I'll be honest and say if I see two guys kissing and really going at it I find it pretty gross, it disgusts me even, I would never try to stop them or tell them they didn't have the right to do it or even do anything other than look away. I had ZERO problem with this commercial however and thought it was pretty funny when I first saw it. You're jumping to conclusions and not helping by bringing up a fairly trivial matter as this as homophobic without having some sort of proof or indication of that as a factor in it being pulled.
Dang... you just put everything I never got around to saying into just the right format.

*thumb's up*