PDA

View Full Version : Build help damage-ish build

RagnaroksChosen
2009-08-26, 03:51 PM
so I've always wanted to play a scout/Sonokineticist seems like it would be alot of fun especialy with imrpoved skirmish and greater psionic shot.

I was thinking of mabye something like scout5/ninja2/Sonokineticist 8
With swift hunter as my scout feat and taking imrpoved skirmish at 6 and the psi shots some where in there as well

I would be doing 8d4 sonic + 4d6 skirmish + 4d6 psionic + 1d6 (sudden if i go invis).

I figure as a ranged touch that isn't that bad. I Think its terribly un-optimised?

So i guess im asking the playground if they can help me improve it. The goal of this build is to include scout and any one of the kineticist classes (prolly gonna go the sonic or acid one) and do as many dice of dmg as possible (mainly cuz i think its fun).

So any help?
Any WOTC book + dragon compendium is pritty much fair game

Darrin
2009-08-26, 04:39 PM
I was thinking of mabye something like scout5/ninja2/Sonokineticist 8
With swift hunter as my scout feat and taking imrpoved skirmish at 6 and the psi shots some where in there as well

Do you really need the ninja? Scout 4/Ranger 3 would probably be more effective, and save you +2 BAB. If you want more damage, Scout 4/Rogue 3 would be more damage in the long run.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-08-26, 05:43 PM
Do you really need the ninja? Scout 4/Ranger 3 would probably be more effective, and save you +2 BAB. If you want more damage, Scout 4/Rogue 3 would be more damage in the long run.

The problem is the rogue 3 adds 2d6 dmg yes... but triggering the 2d6 is harder the ninja is only there for the swift invis so i can move without AOE and shoot a bolt.

5 in scout is needed for improved skirmish i belive

Fax Celestis
2009-08-26, 06:16 PM
The problem is the rogue 3 adds 2d6 dmg yes... but triggering the 2d6 is harder the ninja is only there for the swift invis so i can move without AOE and shoot a bolt.

Scout 3/Ranger 3 + Swift Hunter qualifies you for Improved Skirmish and gives better BAB.

Eldariel
2009-08-26, 07:40 PM
Scout 3/Ranger 3 + Swift Hunter qualifies you for Improved Skirmish and gives better BAB.

I suggest Scout 4/Ranger 4 for the bonus feat.

ericgrau
2009-08-26, 08:27 PM
The bonus damage from psi-based weapons is there to make up for the lack of an enchanted weapon. But it's weaker b/c you get it for "free". A normal weapon can go up to +9d6 bonus damage, is usable even on full attacks without denying dex, and can be combined with a full BAB so more of that damage actually lands. Also look into special enchantments like spell storing and wounding. If you want skirmish or sneak attack damage on top of that, you can.

If you want pure damage, then the proper way is to either get ~90% reliable sneak attack (or other bonus damage) and stack that with weapon enchantments. You'll also need a way to protect yourself thanks to d6 HD. Or if you can't do both those things then just play a full BAB class and stack strength/feat damage with weapon enchantments. You'll land more hits than a mid BAB class, and you can full attack, so damage output is still good. Survivability is also better this way, so you deal damage for more rounds. In either case boots of speed (or another source of haste) are invaluable for the extra attack.

Darrin
2009-08-26, 09:16 PM

Triggering Sudden Strike is harder than triggering Sneak Attack. Particularly as you get into the higher levels, everything and their dog can either see invis, blindsense, tremorsense, etc. If you need to get invisible, a dip into Swordsage for Cloak of Deception would get you a lot more invisibility than 1/day. Not to mention Island of Blades and Assassin's Stance.

Also... not sure what you mean by AOE, I think you mean AoO? You've got a weapon you can attack people with from 15' away, I don't think AoOs will be that much of an issue.

And you only need 3 levels of Scout to qualify for Improved Skirmish (1d6 Skirmish and +1 AC).

RagnaroksChosen
2009-08-26, 09:27 PM
Triggering Sudden Strike is harder than triggering Sneak Attack. Particularly as you get into the higher levels, everything and their dog can either see invis, blindsense, tremorsense, etc. If you need to get invisible, a dip into Swordsage for Cloak of Deception would get you a lot more invisibility than 1/day. Not to mention Island of Blades and Assassin's Stance.

Also... not sure what you mean by AOE, I think you mean AoO? You've got a weapon you can attack people with from 15' away, I don't think AoOs will be that much of an issue.

And you only need 3 levels of Scout to qualify for Improved Skirmish (1d6 Skirmish and +1 AC).

I was thinking this build was more built off of bolt of fire.
so its more like 60 wich i agree with its just harder to get SA on the range touch.