PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Siege Spells

Lysander
2009-08-28, 04:01 PM
Fairly often on the roleplaying board I see this request:

"In X days/hours/minutes X number of X enemy are going to attack the city/town/building/ice cream shop our DM has tasked us to protect. How can we prepare for the assault?"

Obviously the answer varies by situation but there are always useful preparations like Guards & Wards, Alarm, Arcane Lock, Glyph of Warding, etc. Let's think of some more spells that a caster helping defend a town will beg their DM to let them use.

For example:

Regenerating Door
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One portal, up to 20 sq. ft./level
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

A door under this spell repairs itself as long as it has any hitpoints remaining. If it is broken rather than sundered, the the door will spring back into its frame, close, and become whole after twelve seconds of being broken with no loss of hitpoints. A previously locked door relocks itself. Any spells cast before the door was broken such as Arcane Lock or Hold Portal still persist.

Material
25gp of gold dust sprinkled upon the door

Myou
2009-08-28, 04:25 PM
Minefield
Conjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Casting Time: 1 hour
Target: 1 250ft. square/level.
Duration: Instantanious
Saving Throw: See text

This spell creates a minefield under the earth, centred on the location you touch. Whenever any creature enters any square within or directly below the minefield roll a d20. A result of 10 or higher means they avoid the mines in that square. A result of 6-9 means that they set off one mine, taking 2d6 fire damage, 2d6 piercing damage and 2d6 and bludgeoning damage (reflex half). A result of 4-5 means they set of two mies, doubling the quantity of each type of damage. A result of 2-3 means that they set off three mines, tripling the damage. A result of 1 means that they set off every mine in the square, and every mine in every adjacent square, taking 10d6 of each damage type with no save, and creatures in the adjacent squares taking the same damage, but being allowed a save (reflex half).

Each square holds a total of nine mines.

How's that? :3

Croverus
2009-08-28, 04:34 PM
Minefield
Conjuration
Target: One square mile of land per caster level.

This spell creates a minefield under the earth, centred on the location you touch. Whenever any creature enters any square within or directly below the minefield roll a d20. A result of 10 or higher means they avoid the mines in that square. A result of 6-9 means that they set off one mine, taking 2d6 fire damage, 2d6 piercing damage and 2d6 and bludgeoning damage (reflex half). A result of 4-5 means they set of two mies, doubling the quantity of each type of damage. A result of 2-3 means that they set off three mines, tripling the damage, while a result of 1 means that they set off every mine in the square, and every mine in every adjacent square, taking 10d6 of each damage type with no save.

Not sure about the 1 mile radius per caster level. Maybe radius 200ft/caster level centered on the square you're standing in...

Edit: Reason for saying this is that you say its a 7 level spell, meaning the player is in their mid teens and thus will be covering over 3000 square feet with 1 casting of this spell. Also, duriation instantaneous would mean that the spell ends after being cast. I think you want to change it to being Duration: Time the mines stay before vanishing.

Myou
2009-08-28, 04:43 PM
Not sure about the 1 mile radius per caster level. Maybe radius 200ft/caster level centered on the square you're standing in...

Edit: Reason for saying this is that you say its a 7 level spell, meaning the player is in their mid teens and thus will be covering over 3000 square feet with 1 casting of this spell. Also, duriation instantaneous would mean that the spell ends after being cast. I think you want to change it to being Duration: Time the mines stay before vanishing.

Actually, instantanious conjurations are permanent. :smallconfused:

I think I will cut the size a bit though.

Johel
2009-08-28, 04:54 PM
Oil Shower

Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Range: see Area
Area: one 10-ft. square / level, centered on the caster.
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Spell Resistance: Yes

Anything inside the area while the spell last is damped in highly flamable oil.
Said oil is of magical nature and will dissipate itself after 1 hour.
Any flame can lit the oil. If lit, the oil burns for 2 rounds and deals 1d3 points of fire damage per round.

Lysander
2009-08-28, 08:50 PM
This one is useful if you're inside a fortress and want you and your allies to see the enemy (or I suppose just to glance inside any room before you enter):

Window
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, F
Target: 5x5 area of wall up to 10ft thick
Duration: 10 min./level

A touched square of a wall becomes transparent and allows anyone to view through to the other side. Only the touched side becomes transparent, the other side of the wall appears entirely normal. The spell will not function through a lead barrier one inch thick. True Seeing or Detect Magic will not let you see through from the other side, but will reveal a square shaped magically charged area.

Focus
A tiny glass square

Cyrano
2009-08-28, 08:59 PM
This one is useful if you're inside a fortress and want you and your allies to see the enemy (or I suppose just to glance inside any room before you enter):

Window
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Target: 5x5 area of wall up to 10ft thick
Duration: 10 min./level

A touched square of a wall becomes transparent and allows anyone to view through to the other side. Only the touched side becomes transparent, the other side of the wall appears entirely normal. The spell will not function through a lead barrier one inch thick. True Seeing or Detect Magic will not let you see through from the other side, but will reveal a square shaped magically charged area.

Focus
A tiny glass square

Wording should be changed to something akin to "Only the caster can see through the window" or something, since your current wording allows someone to see through precisely half a wall.

Lysander
2009-08-28, 10:22 PM
Wording should be changed to something akin to "Only the caster can see through the window" or something, since your current wording allows someone to see through precisely half a wall.

It's not that half the wall becomes transparent. It's that it becomes a one way window. The enchanted side is transparent and anyone can see through. On the other side it doesn't look different. That way you can see your enemies and they can't see you.

Very useful for anyone inside a building wondering what monster is trying to bash its way inside. And a caster can set it up for their allies to use, then go elsewhere.

DracoDei
2009-08-29, 06:42 PM
The mines need to explicitly state how they run out in my book, as it is, they can have the "all go off" result happen multiple times in the same square. And really I would make it a huge version of Glyph of Warding, just with each square being seperate for purposes of Dispelling, a perminant duration, no option to do anything other than damage (but perhaps of a mixed type), and an explicit height limit.

I would allow a think layer of lead to block Window rather than requiring it to be 1 inch thick.

GallóglachMaxim
2009-08-29, 07:26 PM
Actually, instantanious conjurations are permanent. :smallconfused:

I think I will cut the size a bit though.

It needs some way of being voluntarily ended by the caster, or a heavy restriction to the bad end of the moral spectrum. Otherwise you've potentially got a good caster leaving a large area of land filled with (the way it sounds from the description) imperceptible explosive death, which only ends when every single one goes off. The potential killing or maiming of hundreds of unsuspecting people even after they are no longer needed should be stressed, they are after all, landmines.

Lysander
2009-08-29, 11:27 PM
The mines need to explicitly state how they run out in my book, as it is, they can have the "all go off" result happen multiple times in the same square. And really I would make it a huge version of Glyph of Warding, just with each square being seperate for purposes of Dispelling, a perminant duration, no option to do anything other than damage (but perhaps of a mixed type), and an explicit height limit.

I would allow a think layer of lead to block Window rather than requiring it to be 1 inch thick.

But how many buildings actually have a solid layer of lead in their walls? You'd have to deliberately shield the wall.

As for the mine spell, should it be permanent? I might make it 1 hour/level.

DracoDei
2009-08-29, 11:44 PM
But how many buildings actually have a solid layer of lead in their walls? You'd have to deliberately shield the wall.

Lead foil is still MUCH easier to work with than 1 inch lead plating...

Myou
2009-08-30, 03:23 AM
It needs some way of being voluntarily ended by the caster, or a heavy restriction to the bad end of the moral spectrum. Otherwise you've potentially got a good caster leaving a large area of land filled with (the way it sounds from the description) imperceptible explosive death, which only ends when every single one goes off. The potential killing or maiming of hundreds of unsuspecting people even after they are no longer needed should be stressed, they are after all, landmines.

Nah, I like that it's hard to get rid of, it's a limitation on it's use. The caster has plenty of spells that can detoate the mines anyway, stuff like eathquake will set them all off.

Lysander
2009-08-30, 11:08 AM
Blind your enemies while letting your own side see clearly. This spell would be great for chokepoints, or to cast on battlements to hide your archers.

Fog of War
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Casting Time: 30 minutes
Target: one 10-ft. square / level
Duration: 24 hours

A thick white mist fills the affected area, obscuring vision and providing total concealment to all within. The fog however is magical, and can be keyed to allow certain individuals to see through it without any difficulty. To them the fog is still visible but appears as a transparent haze instead of an opaque field. You may designate whether vision is allowed for all creatures of one race, creatures of a single military faction or alliance, or up to thirty specific people. Fog of War is not affected by wind but True Seeing can view through it.

DracoDei
2009-08-30, 03:41 PM
An area expressed in squares that is centered on the caster is... highly unusual and might slow the game down.

Mindflayer
2009-08-30, 04:27 PM
You should look at war spells from Dragon 309

Myou
2009-08-30, 06:09 PM
You should look at war spells from Dragon 309

Most people don't actually have old copies of Dragon. :smalltongue:

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-30, 06:16 PM
How fast does the Regenerating Door regenerate?

vampire2948
2009-08-30, 06:24 PM
Regenerating Door
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Duration: Permanent

A door under this spell repairs itself as long as it has any hitpoints remaining. If it is broken rather than sundered, the the door will spring back into its frame, close, and become whole after twelve seconds of being broken with no loss of hitpoints. A previously locked door relocks itself. Any spells cast before the door was broken such as Arcane Lock or Hold Portal still persist.

Material
25gp of gold dust sprinkled upon the door

Twelve seconds.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-30, 06:29 PM
So it regenerates half of its hit points each round? That's brutal on something thick and metal. It wouldn't be the first time I considered just drilling through the wall next to the door.

vampire2948
2009-08-30, 06:30 PM
So it regenerates half of its hit points each round? That's brutal on something thick and metal. It wouldn't be the first time I considered just drilling through the wall next to the door.

Doesn't say anything about 1/2 HP after one round. Its full hp after two rounds. And nothing inbetween.

But I agree, put a few adamantium doors all over the shop, and watch the invaders fail.

Maybe change it so that the amount of HP regenerated is equal to (1/n)*MaxHP, where n is the number of times broken previously within 24 hrs?

Dragon Elite
2009-08-30, 07:44 PM
:eek:
Let's pretend it hasn't been broken in the last 24 hours. (1/0)*MaxHP=... infinity. Oops...:smalltongue:

TheLogman
2009-08-30, 07:46 PM
I made a superior version of Guards and Wards for like the 7th level, but I don't remember when/if I saved it. If I find it, I'll try to post it up.

DracoDei
2009-08-30, 07:56 PM
:eek:
Let's pretend it hasn't been broken in the last 24 hours. (1/0)*MaxHP=... infinity. Oops...:smalltongue:

I THINK the idea is that when it ISN'T broken it doesn't regenerate.

(1/(n+1))*MaxHP might work better.

But really I would just go with a static number of hp per round, perhaps based on caster level.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-30, 08:02 PM
Oops... Good idea, Dracodei.

Lysander
2009-08-30, 08:58 PM
I THINK the idea is that when it ISN'T broken it doesn't regenerate.

(1/(n+1))*MaxHP might work better.

But really I would just go with a static number of hp per round, perhaps based on caster level.

Basically, the regenerating door can repair damaged caused by a sudden large force. So it can spring back into it's frame if kicked out, or repair a big fracture caused by a shove. So if you break the door with a strength check, it will repair. But it can't fix hp loss. So you have to attack the door and reduce its hp to 0 to keep it destroyed.

DracoDei
2009-08-30, 09:27 PM
Ah yes, forgot about Break DCs in the times between reading this thread. HP damage only actually don't help against most seige engines in D&D, since they all do hp damage... still a pretty useful spell.

Lysander
2009-08-30, 09:53 PM
Ah yes, forgot about Break DCs in the times between reading this thread. HP damage only actually don't help against most seige engines in D&D, since they all do hp damage... still a pretty useful spell.

It wouldn't help against a big siege engine. But it'd force a soldier to actually hack apart a door with their swords instead of just kicking their way through, or their allies might not get through before it springs back into place. And that forces them to get past a door's hardness to actually reduce its hp.

Lysander
2009-08-31, 10:34 PM
Reverse Momentum
Abjuration
Casting Time: One immediate action
Target: Moving object or creature weighing up to 500lbs + 50lb/caster level
Duration: Instantaneous

A moving target has its momentum reversed, and travels in the opposite direction at the same speed. An object moving in a straight line will move directly backwards, an object traveling in an arc will arc back to its point of origin. A falling object will move upwards then fall down again.

This allows a caster to send projectiles back at whoever fired them, using that attacker's own attack roll. Arrows can only deal 1/4th damage when reversed and lack any magical or special material bonuses because the fletching of the arrow is what connects with the archer rather than the point. Catapult projectiles will almost always strike the machine that fired them with full force.

Reverse Momentum can knock a charging person prone unless they succeed on a DC20 Tumble check to stumble backwards and maintain upright. A DC30 Tumble check allows them to continue the charge. A person walking or standing still has too little momentum to be significantly affected by the spell.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-01, 10:57 AM
Anything inside the area while the spell last is damped in highly flamable oil.

Don't you mean "doused"?

I like the theme of this thread. More spells soon I hope? :smallbiggrin: Perhaps one which makes sides of a building absolutely/almost un-climb-able (I doubt that's a real word...) for days per caster level? Or perhaps anyone who tries to climb them gets dissolving acid upon them? Or perhaps they're sticky like flypaper? Just an idea...

Lysander
2009-09-01, 12:48 PM
Don't you mean "doused"?

I like the theme of this thread. More spells soon I hope? :smallbiggrin: Perhaps one which makes sides of a building absolutely/almost un-climb-able (I doubt that's a real word...) for days per caster level? Or perhaps anyone who tries to climb them gets dissolving acid upon them? Or perhaps they're sticky like flypaper? Just an idea...

Ask and ye shall receive:

Nightmarish Climb
Transformation
Components: V, S, M/DF
Target: One ten foot square of wall/level
Duration: 1 day/level

Nightmarish Climb enchants a wall so that it is almost impossible to climb. The entire area feels slippery to the touch, adding +5 DC to any climb checks. It also randomly magically traps random hand and footholds. One trap is triggered for each 10 feet climbed. A successful reflex save can avoid these traps but requires pushing off the wall. Even magical climbing can trigger these traps. Roll 1d6 to determine the effect:

1: A plume of acid bursts from the wall, dealing 1d6 damage.
2: A plume of fire bursts from the wall, dealing 1d6 damage.
3: That section of the wall bulges and shakes elastically for a moment, requiring a DC20 strength check to avoid being flung off.
4:Beads of yellow goo form under the climber's hands and feet and instantly harden and hold them fast to the wall in place. Breaking free requires a DC20 strength check, or one standard action chipping at it with a bladed weapon.
5: A plume of noxious goo spills onto the climber, requiring them to make a DC25 fortitude save or be sickened for five minutes.
6: Roll twice and apply both traps. Ignore any sixes and roll again.

A square's magic is not used up once discharged, and each time a trap is activated the effect remains random.

Silverscale
2009-09-01, 01:16 PM
Generally I like it although I would take out the part about ignoring subsequent 6's. That way it is possible, with a bit of lucky rolling, to get a truly hideous trap every once in a while.

Just imagine rolling several 6's and also rolling 1's, 2's, 4, and/or 5. Then you're stuck to the wall and/or sickened for five minutes as well as having a flaming ball of acid in your face. :belkar:

Dragon Elite
2009-09-01, 06:09 PM
Then you're stuck to the wall and/or sickened for five minutes as well as having a flaming ball of acid in your face.

That would be cool. Someone, please make a trap spell.

Stormthorn
2009-09-01, 06:37 PM
Minefield
Conjuration
Target: 1 250ft. square/level.

This spell creates a minefield under the earth, centred on the location you touch. Whenever any creature enters any square within or directly below the minefield roll a d20. A result of 10 or higher means they avoid the mines in that square. A result of 6-9 means that they set off one mine, taking 2d6 fire damage, 2d6 piercing damage and 2d6 and bludgeoning damage (reflex half). A result of 4-5 means they set of two mies, doubling the quantity of each type of damage. A result of 2-3 means that they set off three mines, tripling the damage. A result of 1 means that they set off every mine in the square, and every mine in every adjacent square, taking 10d6 of each damage type with no save, and creatures in the adjacent squares taking the same damage, but being allowed a save (reflex half).

Each square holds a total of nine mines.

So at level 20 this spell does...
a square 5000 feet to a side...
5 feet into a square of the board...
30d6 (max) per square of ground...
Lets say each square has a 100% chance of going off with a 2d6 result since its an army marchign over them with thousands of dice rolls but actualy rolling those dice would be difficult. So im just going to see how much damage these would afflict on average to the army.
The spells total area has an average damage of 21,000,000 And at level 20 a sorcerer with this spell could re-cast it in the same spot six times a day.
So if you had a week to propare you could fill your courtyard with mines so that each square their is 42 d20's to roll to see how many mines go off. The absolute max damage per square would be 7560 (in one week).

Now lets do that again but assume each square only has one soldier march over it and roll only one die, but actualy roll it.
45% chance of going off then...
4 in 9 for 6d6
2 in 9 for 12d6
2 in 9 for 18d6
1 in 9 for 30d6
On a 1000 by 1000 grid...
25,200,000 on average to the army.
Hmm.

For these calculations (the se tint he middle with the maximum damage per square per week) i assumed that you couldnt put mines mines into a square more than once per casting. If you could stack those 250ft squares on top of each other you could get as few as 62,500 squares with 180 mines each per casting.

It should be noted i didnt take into account the chain damage of the adjacent mines detonating.

If i ever play a game where my wizard gets a tower, this is going to be on his spell list.

Lysander
2009-09-02, 09:54 AM
That would be cool. Someone, please make a trap spell.

Okay, how about this:

Door's Revenge
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Duration: 1 hour/level

You imbue a door, gate, or window with kinetic energy that is unleashed on whoever breaks it. If the door is broken it explodes into shards, slashing and piercing everyone within 10 feet for 5d6 damage (reflex save halves). This blast is entirely one way however, and someone standing on the other side of the door experiences no harm whatsoever. The caster selects one side of the door to enchant and only a person on that side will trigger or be harmed by the spell.