PDA

View Full Version : Werewolf storylines

tcrudisi
2009-08-28, 07:10 PM
I haven't run a Werewolf game in about 6 years and I have some friends that want me to run one. I've got a couple of ideas, but when it comes to WoD, I like having several storylines as back-ups for when the players throw me a curveball... which lets me quickly and seamlessly jump into a new story.

But, with me having to just re-read the book again (as I've forgotten so much of it), I admit to drawing more blanks than usual. What Werewolf games have you guys played in that were a lot of fun? (Yeah, I'll likely steal an idea or two, but if you had fun with it, my players should as well! I'm good with filling in most of the details, but I'd just really like to know the stories that you guys have really enjoyed playing. Thanks in advance!)

LibraryOgre
2009-08-28, 08:20 PM
Old or new Werewolf?

I haven't played any new WW, but a few options for old WW include:

1) Reclaiming/proving a caern. Instead of joining an established Sept, you go out and try to start a new one, or refound an old one. The NYC caern in WW is an example of this.

2) War against the Wyrm. Essentially, you play eco-terrorists, trying to mess up Pentex-like corporations.

3) Tribal Warfare. Either modern or ancient, playing through two tribes engaged in a war over resources (a caern, simple existence in the "pure lands", etc).

4) Intra-sept conflict. Mixed sept. Cub A got Cub B pregnant (before they knew they were Garou). Or two Ahroun have been walking around each other, hackles up and peeing on everything in sight. Can't be solved with direct violence for some reason.

5) Lost cub. Someone's kin-fetch got a little messed up, and you've got a lost cub... garou, but knowing nothing about it. Or maybe it stepped into the Umbra and wandered off before it knew too much.

6) Spirit negotiation. Maybe your pack is looking for a totem. Maybe a spirit has gone a bit nuts and needs to be dealt with. Or a big spirit just awoke and is a little grumpy at modern garou.

That's off the top of my head.

tcrudisi
2009-08-28, 09:50 PM
Old or new Werewolf?

Did they actually change it that much? I'm talking about old, though.

1) Reclaiming/proving a caern. Instead of joining an established Sept, you go out and try to start a new one, or refound an old one. The NYC caern in WW is an example of this.

2) War against the Wyrm. Essentially, you play eco-terrorists, trying to mess up Pentex-like corporations.

3) Tribal Warfare. Either modern or ancient, playing through two tribes engaged in a war over resources (a caern, simple existence in the "pure lands", etc).

4) Intra-sept conflict. Mixed sept. Cub A got Cub B pregnant (before they knew they were Garou). Or two Ahroun have been walking around each other, hackles up and peeing on everything in sight. Can't be solved with direct violence for some reason.

5) Lost cub. Someone's kin-fetch got a little messed up, and you've got a lost cub... garou, but knowing nothing about it. Or maybe it stepped into the Umbra and wandered off before it knew too much.

6) Spirit negotiation. Maybe your pack is looking for a totem. Maybe a spirit has gone a bit nuts and needs to be dealt with. Or a big spirit just awoke and is a little grumpy at modern garou.

In the first session (we've only done one session so far), I actually opened with them being a newly formed pack who was looking for a caern/sept to join. During their challenge, they stumbled upon a mid-rank Shadow Lord breaking the Litany. They dealt with him as best they knew how, then let him go. Why is this important? Well, they just made a very powerful enemy. And sometime very soon that caern is going to be attacked. The current ranking werewolves are going to be taken out, and their enemy? Yeah, he's going to be the big guy around, suddenly. Now the question becomes: was he behind it? The only other thing that I have left in terms of a storyline is that they'll need a pack totem. They still have a player or two who haven't created characters, so this might end up waiting until they have enough Totem background points (right now they only have 3, so it'll be decided by what those couple of people do).

So in the mean-time, I really need a "quickish" storyline, something for them to work on now, until the caern gets attacked. They'll -hopefully- be busy trying to figure out whether that Shadow Lord is a good guy or bad guy afterwards. Then beyond that? Well, I have no idea.

LibraryOgre
2009-08-28, 10:21 PM
In that case, I'd suggest something that takes them into the Umbra... tracking down and dealing with a specific spirit, perhaps one with oracular powers. They're then out of the picture when the caern is attacked.

ScreamingDoom
2009-08-29, 05:40 AM
I've really only played in one Werewolf game, and that one only had one of the titular werewolves in it (a Glasswalker). Everyone else was a different Changing Breed. It included a crocodile (Momokle? Something like that) and a Anansi web developer (HAR HAR HAR).

Naturally, it was very Weaver-centric.

There was weird goings-on in the Umbra, with older, powerful pattern spiders actually fighting younger ones. Our job was to figure out why the Pattern was breaking down so horribly and why it seemed to be a young-vs-old thing. It turned out to be a symptom of the Weaver's psychosis... her mind was so fractured that she couldn't decide which rules to enforce, so she just had her minions fight it out to see which would be better; the older, more established and powerful or the younger, more numerous ones, each one representing different rules.

There was also a side-plot involving agents of the Wyrm trying to smother and choke the Weaver by attacking the Wyld -- since it is the Wyld's dynamicism that provides fuel (so to speak) for the Weaver's constructs, in the same way that you burn coal to make a steam engine work.

Not sure if this helps, but hopefully it would spark some ideas.

LibraryOgre
2009-08-29, 10:52 AM
I've really only played in one Werewolf game, and that one only had one of the titular werewolves in it (a Glasswalker). Everyone else was a different Changing Breed. It included a crocodile (Momokle? Something like that) and a Anansi web developer (HAR HAR HAR).

Moloke. Here there be dragons.