PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Speak Arabic?

afroakuma
2009-08-28, 10:20 PM
...or Farsi, by any chance?

I have a few simple sentences that I need translated, and more importantly transliterated to the Latin alphabet, with possibly one or two more en route. Trouble is, online translations invariably output in the Arabic alphabet, which is difficult to decode without experience and likes to hide the vowels.

Help would be very much appreciated :smallbiggrin:.

SurlySeraph
2009-08-28, 10:55 PM
Ooh. I could have been helpful... last August, back when I'd studied enough Arabic to decide that it was going to be too much effort for the benefit I'd get from it. But now I forget everything. I might fiddle around with translators to see if I can get you anything useful, though.

rubakhin
2009-08-28, 11:11 PM
I don't personally, but if nobody else in the playground volunteers within the next couple of days (and it's appropriate) I could take the phrases you need up to my mosque and see if somebody would help.

What kind of Arabic do you need?

afroakuma
2009-08-28, 11:13 PM
I don't personally, but if nobody else in the playground volunteers within the next couple of days (and it's appropriate) I could take the phrases you need up to my mosque and see if somebody would help.

What kind of Arabic do you need?

Meh; Arabic Arabic. I tried assembling a transliteration myself, and that's when I remembered that the vowels cost extra. Also, they added a letter I can't type, so...

Vmag
2009-08-29, 12:39 AM
درست هذه اللغة لمدة طويلة

So what can I do for you?

SDF
2009-08-29, 12:42 AM
I'm taking advanced college Arabic, so I'm not totally useless.

Vmag
2009-08-29, 12:51 AM
اعتقد ان لدي كل شي مطلوب بك
لا توجد اي لغة اسهل منها (باستثنا لغة الهب) و لقد استطيع ان اكمل مهمتك

So if you need me, PM yo.

SDF
2009-08-29, 12:53 AM
Do you use a certain program to get the characters? I find most of the conventional Word add-ons to be mostly useless, and end up copy pasting most of what I need on the computer.

Vmag
2009-08-29, 01:03 AM
Turns out that Vista comes with several language packs by default. The only tough part was figuring out which key goes where on the keyboard.

For the longest time, ب would always elude me. No matter how many times I typed Arabic, it took forever to remember where ب went :smalltongue:

I try not to use Word for anything. I'm more of a notepad kind of guy myself, and if something won't work in notepad, .لا باس. ليست مشكلتي

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-29, 04:58 AM
I do believe Randman is from/lives in Dubai and that they speak Arabic there. He might be of assitance, though I haven't seen him for some time....

Lord Herman
2009-08-29, 05:57 AM
Arabic text is pretty. No idea what it all means, though. :smalltongue:

The Demented One
2009-08-29, 08:14 AM
Arabic text is pretty. No idea what it all means, though. :smalltongue:
Seconded. Best calligraphy ever.