PDA

View Full Version : The Scarecrow (Batman) in DnD-Ideas For Adventures Involving Him Please?

Leliel
2009-08-29, 08:26 PM
Well, after watching Arkham Asylum on YouTube-not playing it, as I only own a Wii-I have become smitten with the idea of him as he appears in that game as a Fantasy Noir villain.

He fits the personality-if they're not sympathetic, they're the most gleefully twisted bastards imaginable-the "dreamlike" theme-he doesn't need to be dreamlike, he has the genuine article-and the mood-for all of his power and intelligence, he's just a big bully with something to prove.

So, all I really have to do before feeding him into the Monster Builder is make it so that his "hallucinations" are a real supernatural ability of his that he uses the chemical in his syringes as a vector for. If I decide to use him in Eberron, he might be a Chosen who is never actually possessed by Quori (because the instant one looks into his mind, it runs screaming to the borders of the Dreaming Dark to hide in some less horrifying dreams). Outside of the dream world, he's weaker then a level 1 minion, but inside...

Of course, I am a bit clueless as to what stories-beyond him gassing the PCs and mind raping them-I have no idea of what kind of crimes he would commit that would warrant investigations. And no, I don't read comics, so I can't swipe the stories.

So...Ideas?

And if you're wondering:

Somewhat Wiser Quori: "...And he kept jabbing them again and again...He's a Chosen, he's not supposed to be as sadistic as we can be...Why isn't he sane? WHY ISN'T HE SANE???"

And yes, I lifted it.

Catch
2009-08-29, 08:36 PM
The Scarecrow != The Sandman, but you did say you don't read comics.

You'd probably be better off making him some sort of illusionist, which opens up whatever possibilities you can imagine. Being petty, crazed and bitter, Scarecrow's plots are generally based on revenge, so all you need is a target (the PC's, local nobility, etc) and a little time.

For a campaign, you could introduce him early on as small-time villain that, once foiled, comes back to - quite literally - haunt the PCs. Try not to overuse the "it was all an illusion" plotline, because after one or two encounters, it loses credibility. Generally, good Scarecrow plots involve some sort of supervillain team-up, as his skills usually compliment those of another villain.

He's usually best as a diversion to distract the heroes while something greater unfolds.

DementedFellow
2009-08-29, 08:51 PM
You might want to look at a Hat of Disguise to go for the Scarecrow look. Otherwise, you're going to be working with some kind of construct creature.

In hand to hand combat, you might want to look at some sort of weird monk class since he does a crane style of martial arts. Drunken Master might work if you're not looking for a terribly optimized build.

Some ideas that are Scarecrow-ish:

Enemies of a duke are one by one being hunted down and either killed or driven mad by a horrific figure.
A municipal depository has been ransacked and everything of value is taken. Those alive only remember a walking man made of straw. They openly weep at the mere thought of him.
A village lives in terror of a menace that stalks them at midnight. They are unable to sleep for fear of dreaming wicked dreams. They are exhausted and their crops are ravaged by birds. For some reason they are reluctant to put up a single scarecrow.
The heroes are plagued with ghost sounds, prestidigitation, minor images and all sorts of illusions. It becomes harder to get rest and paranoia sets in.

With a few levels in wizard, you can have plenty of spells available to do a good mindscrew.

Done right and you can have a villain that the players will love to hate.

Wings of Peace
2009-08-29, 10:24 PM
Cancer Mage could fit well if you want to keep the disease theme he has going from some of his incarnations

*.*.*.*
2009-08-29, 10:25 PM
Beguiler =]

Teron
2009-08-29, 10:40 PM
So, all I really have to do before feeding him into the Monster Builder is make it so that his "hallucinations" are a real supernatural ability of his that he uses the chemical in his syringes as a vector for. If I decide to use him in Eberron, he might be a Chosen who is never actually possessed by Quori (because the instant one looks into his mind, it runs screaming to the borders of the Dreaming Dark to hide in some less horrifying dreams). Outside of the dream world, he's weaker then a level 1 minion, but inside...
4E? If so, I've got nothing. If you're talking 3.5, the Dread Witch is the go-to prestige class for making fear effects useful at mid to high levels. If you specifically want (al)chemically induced fear, it will take some homebrewing, but it shouldn't be too hard to slap an appropriate save DC on the effects you want.

PLUN
2009-08-30, 01:38 PM
For augmented reality i'd treat it like 'reskinning' the dungeon, imo. The dungeon is the same traps, kobolds, dire llamas as ever, but the visuals are more disturbing, less revealing, and potentially deceptive. A group of goblins or goons might become something more terrifying.

I wouldn't make the effect avoidable. It'd be pervasive, maybe with initial Fortitude saves to get a look around the first room before succumbing to the shared hallucination, get a firmer grip on the 'rules'. The occasional illusion would seperate fiction from reality, but standard will saves should be allowed to overcome this obstacle. Something deeply deceptive, like a ogre breathing fire or innocents disguised as enemies should also allow a will save for a 'snapshot' of reality. Perhaps allow these will saves to be taken as a half action in less risky situations, or a spell like Dispel Magic to provide a few hints about the room. Keep descriptions useful, but sharp and vague, to get the feel it's only a few seconds view.

Some traps may be treasures, treasures themselves may be disguised or frightening. A chest full of beetles may contain coins, the vicious snake a +1 shortsword. The player should 'conquer' the hallucination after a while, or else you're going to have to constantly describe how the clever ones been waving a snake around. Of course, when they conquer it they may realsie they've had entirely the wrong idea about an item...

A 10ft visible pit with some sp in it might look like a vicious 20ft barbed deathtrap, festooned with platimum coins - you may choose to describe the 'descent' without dealing damage, or perhaps subdual damage for these fake 'trials'. For extra suspense, take the control of player hitpoints AWAY from the players. Roll damage for fake obstacles and abilities normally. Allow players to ask 'how they're doing'. Have a scale set up they have reference to in the name of fairness.

The real aim here is to have the adventures delve into this mysterious dungeon, with few concievable 'rules', and emerge at the end with the exciting opportunity to 'see' what they 'actually' did, and collect any treasure that was previously a lantrine.