PDA

View Full Version : Life Paths (Destiny at Work) [3.5]

EdroGrimshell
2009-08-30, 03:32 PM
Alright, i got a random idea recently that a person may have a destiny that influences some of his abilities and i would like to impliment this into the D&D world. My idea is to create life paths that a player chooses one of at 1st level. They gain benefits at certain levels based on the path itself (blade would offer melee options, magi would offer magical abilities, ect.)

What i need is how this would work and ideas for the paths themselves, it would increase the power of the PCs a bit but since it would apply to all characters it would balance out.

So far i am thinking of the following; at first level, the character gains a minor benefit as well as a more significant benefit and every few levels (not sure on the intervals) they would gain additional benefits. I am only asking for ideas, i am working on my own currently and will update this regularly.

I do not know if someone came up with a similar idea so dont say i stole the idea, it just popped into my head a few days ago.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-30, 03:42 PM
Star Wars Sagas has a destiny thingie. Look it up, and see if it's similar to yours.

Eldan
2009-08-30, 04:53 PM
So, a stupid question, perhaps, but: when it just gives benefits, that seem similar to those gained in different ways, why not just make them feats, or integrate them in what classes already get? I mean, the "Blade" destiny sounds like something only fighters would take anyway, so, why not include it in your worlds fluff?

EdroGrimshell
2009-08-30, 07:06 PM
I'll take a look at the Star Wars version when i go to borders this weekend. It may spark some ideas.

It is meant to be a natural talent or minor destiny, a wizard could have the path of the blade if so desired. the effect is to add abilities that are well balanced and offer specialization or versatility based on the choice of class, path, feats, and other options.

As for turning them into feats, it essentially is a number of abilities over the course of twenty levels from a single option. Essentially it is a bonus feat to every character that offers more benefits as you advance.

DracoDei
2009-08-30, 07:27 PM
Sounds like Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies. Those are part of :smallyuk: 4E :smallyuk: but have also been reverse engineered for 3.X (including by Wizard of the Coast).

alchemyprime
2009-08-31, 12:33 AM
One way to set up the abilities: create them like bloodlines in Unearthed Arcana. Perhaps make a series of 2 feats (Improved Destiny and Greater Destiny) that unlocks the higher versions.

Just my 2 cp.

Cieyrin
2009-08-31, 01:20 PM
One way to set up the abilities: create them like bloodlines in Unearthed Arcana. Perhaps make a series of 2 feats (Improved Destiny and Greater Destiny) that unlocks the higher versions.

Just my 2 cp.

The Midnight Campaign Setting does this with their bloodlines, granting abilities on top of normal classes and races. You should definitely have a look at it, if you can find a copy of 2nd edition, as that's the 3.5 version. 1st edition, which still fun, is still very 3.0-esque.