PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XI

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

sonofzeal
2009-11-19, 02:52 AM
Q 321

Assuming the spell Mending can fix paper (not explicitly mentioned in the description but assumed given the first line), what would happen if it were cast on a message that were torn so that a piece was missing? Would the paper mend leaving the spot blank or would the message mend revealing what was lost?
A 321

Unspecified. Your DM may rule either way, but it makes intuitive sense for any non-damaging changes to remain. Otherwise, you'd lose filigree and shaping on your weapons/armor when they get Mended.

Nazde Bahatur
2009-11-19, 11:15 AM
Q.322
Do multiple attribute bonuses from different items stack?
(Belt of Magnificence+Gloves of Dexterity?)

Stegyre
2009-11-19, 11:21 AM
A 322
You will need to look at the description of the bonus on each individual item. Bonuses of the same type do not stack, and bonuses from the same source (e.g., multiple Ioun Stones) do not stack. If the bonus is from a different source and of a different type, it will stack.

Most attribute bonuses are "enhancement bonuses," meaning that they will not stack with each other. You simply get the best one.

Q 323
So far, I've found exactly one PrC that progresses "existing class features" (rather than spellcasting or manifesting): Uncanny Trickster, from Complete Scoundrel. Are there any others?

Boci
2009-11-19, 11:27 AM
A 323 Legacy Champion from Weapon of Legacy

Nazde Bahatur
2009-11-19, 11:52 AM
Q.324
Monstrous Humanoids. What Knowledge skill category do they fall under?
(Knowledge: Nature? Knowledge: The Planes?)

Duke of URL
2009-11-19, 12:03 PM
A. 324

Knowledge (nature).

* Nature (animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, seasons and cycles, weather, vermin)

Stegyre
2009-11-19, 12:17 PM
A 323 Legacy Champion from Weapon of Legacy
Thanks!
(Wow, that one's so far down in the alphabet, and so far down in esteem, I probably wouldn't have reviewed it for quite some time.)

zagan
2009-11-19, 03:27 PM
Q. 325

When mount apart from moving what kind of action the mount can take ?

For example I'm a wizard mounted on a Griffon (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Griffon) can I order the griffon to charge an enemie and attack it with is natural weapon while I'm casting a spell at the same time (making a concentration check as normal.

Other example I'm a Paladin mount on the same Griffon this time I charge an enemie with my lance when I attack can the Griffon attack too ?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-19, 03:52 PM
A 325

The answer depends on what type of training the mount has. Assuming appropriate conditions

the mount has received training (six weeks and a DC 25 Handle Animal check)
you and your gear are a light load for the mount
you make a DC 10 Ride check (you cannot "take 10" in combat)
you can direct the mount to fight as a free action, while you perform other actions as it moves. Additionally, if you want to free up your hands, you will also need to make a a DC 5 Ride check to guide your mount with your knees; that's another free action.

If your mount charges both of you take the AC penalty, but both of you can make an attack at the end of the charge if you can also reach the enemy at the point where the mount's charge ends, which must be the first square at which it can attack the enemy. The mount cannot move (not even 5') after making that charge attack.

rockdeworld
2009-11-19, 04:12 PM
Q 326
What happens if Blur, Displacement, Blink, and Mirror Image are all active on a character? Specifically in regards to combat.

zagan
2009-11-19, 04:16 PM
A 325

The answer depends on what type of training the mount has. Assuming appropriate conditions

the mount has received training (six weeks and a DC 25 Handle Animal check)
you and your gear are a light load for the mount
you make a DC 10 Ride check (you cannot "take 10" in combat)
you can direct the mount to fight as a free action, while you perform other actions as it moves. Additionally, if you want to free up your hands, you will also need to make a a DC 5 Ride check to guide your mount with your knees; that's another free action.

If your mount charges both of you take the AC penalty, but both of you can make an attack at the end of the charge if you can also reach the enemy at the point where the mount's charge ends, which must be the first square at which it can attack the enemy. The mount cannot move (not even 5') after making that charge attack.

Thanks that clear thing up and open some very interesting possibility !:smallcool:

Hadessniper
2009-11-19, 05:26 PM
Q 326
What happens if Blur, Displacement, Blink, and Mirror Image are all active on a character? Specifically in regards to combat.
A 326

50% miss chance that effects enemies with blind fight and 1d4 Mirror Image doubles. If the enemy has True Seeing then you just have a 20% miss chance. If the enemy has Ghost Touch you still have a full 50% miss chance and the doubles. If the enemy has True Seeing and Ghost Touch you have no benefit at all. Blur is completely superfluous.

Shademan
2009-11-19, 05:51 PM
Q 327

where do i find the "mindrape" spell?"

GreyVulpine
2009-11-19, 05:53 PM
Q 327

where do i find the "mindrape" spell?"

A327

Book of Vile Darkness, page 99.

Douglas
2009-11-19, 06:05 PM
A 326

50% miss chance that effects enemies with blind fight and 1d4 Mirror Image doubles. If the enemy has True Seeing then you just have a 20% miss chance. If the enemy has Ghost Touch you still have a full 50% miss chance and the doubles. If the enemy has True Seeing and Ghost Touch you have no benefit at all. Blur is completely superfluous.
Ghost Touch is irrelevant. Incorporeal is not the same as ethereal.

Assuming an enemy does not have counters for any of these effects, he would first roll to determine whether he's attacking you or an image. If he gets you, roll a 50% miss chance for Displacement and a separate 20% miss chance for the etherealness part of Blink. If he gets an image, roll 50% miss chance for Blink. Blur is redundant.

If an enemy can see invisibility, do the same thing but note that Blur is now important as it makes up for not getting the invisibleness part of Blink's miss chance.

If an enemy can strike ethereal targets, roll for Displacement if he gets you and for Blur if he gets an image. Mirror Images mimic your Blurred appearance and therefore get the same benefit. Blink is redundant with Displacement and Blur in this case.

If an enemy has True Seeing, roll 20% miss chance for Blink and that's it.

If an enemy has True Seeing and can strike ethereal targets, such as with force effects or the Transdimensional metamagic feat, all four spells are defeated.

GreyVulpine
2009-11-19, 06:26 PM
Assuming an enemy does not have counters for any of these effects, he would first roll to determine whether he's attacking you or an image. If he gets you, roll a 50% miss chance for Displacement and a separate 20% miss chance for the etherealness part of Blink. If he gets an image, roll 50% miss chance for Blink. Blur is redundant.

A physical attack against a blinking/blurred/displaced person would have just a 50% miss chance. Multiple concealment conditions don’t stack, you only use the highest miss chance.

Stegyre
2009-11-19, 06:31 PM
Q 328
One must have a CL equal to 3 times the enhancement bonus for any weapon or armor creation. Somewhere, I read the same requirement for either attribute enhancement or perhaps resistance bonuses. Can anyone give me the citation? (E.g., crafting a +2 bonus requires minimum CL 6.)

GreyVulpine
2009-11-19, 06:49 PM
Q 328
One must have a CL equal to 3 times the enhancement bonus for any weapon or armor creation. Somewhere, I read the same requirement for either attribute enhancement or perhaps resistance bonuses. Can anyone give me the citation? (E.g., crafting a +2 bonus requires minimum CL 6.)

A328

Page 285 of the DMG states:

Creating magic armor has a special prerequisite: The creator’s
caster level must be at least three times the enhancement bonus of
the armor. Thus, a 6th-level creator can make a +2 breastplate, a 9th level
creator can create the same breastplate and make it +3, and a
15th-level caster can make it +5. If an item has both an enhancement
bonus and a special ability (such as cold resistance), the
higher of the two caster level requirements must be met.

Douglas
2009-11-19, 07:02 PM
A physical attack against a blinking/blurred/displaced person would have just a 50% miss chance. Multiple concealment conditions don’t stack, you only use the highest miss chance.
You are correct that multiple concealments don't stack. You are not correct that Blink's entire effect is due to concealment, however. Note that I specifically singled out the portion of Blink's miss chance that is due to being ethereal part of the time.

ericgrau
2009-11-19, 08:39 PM
A 328 b
As for enhancement bonuses, the requirements are listed under the appropriate item. Usually it's just a 2nd level spell regardless of bonus amount. The caster level given is merely the caster level of the item (for saves and dispel checks), not a requirement unless the description says so.

GreyVulpine
2009-11-19, 10:16 PM
You are correct that multiple concealments don't stack. You are not correct that Blink's entire effect is due to concealment, however. Note that I specifically singled out the portion of Blink's miss chance that is due to being ethereal part of the time.

What I meant to say was:

If he gets you, roll a 50% miss chance for Displacement and a separate 20% miss chance for the etherealness part of Blink.

is misleading, you don't roll a 50% miss chance, then roll another 20% miss chance.

Needle
2009-11-19, 11:30 PM
Q 329

I'm making a Rogue and I found Flick of the Wrist (CW) feat to be useful. It says that if I draw a light weapon and melee with it on the same round, my opponent is flat-footed for the purpose of this attack only. Does Sneak Attack activates as a part of this attack? Since it doesn't seem clear enough for me :smallredface:

Thanks in advance!

Douglas
2009-11-20, 12:13 AM
is misleading, you don't roll a 50% miss chance, then roll another 20% miss chance.
Yes, you do. There is a 50% chance that your targeting is off due to concealment and a 20% chance that your target is ethereal when you hit. These are independent and rolled separately. If either or both of them come up as a miss, the attack misses.

Stegyre
2009-11-20, 12:30 AM
A 329
From the SRD:

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target.
Most targets, when they are flat-footed, are denied their Dexterity bonus. (Characters with Uncanny Dodge are one exception; there are others.) Therefore, you would be able to apply sneak attack damage.

Q 330
The Leadership feat grants a cohort (of course). But so also does the Great Diplomat feat (OA), upon reaching 6th level, and the Mentor feat grants a cohort each time an apprentice reaches 5th level. Would all of these cohorts "stack," so a character with two or more of these feats would have two (or more) cohorts?

If so, would a feat like Close Cohort affect all of the cohorts or only the one from the Leadership feat? (Close Cohort could not affect Mentor cohorts, as the rules are specified for how they raise levels, and they will always be at least 4 levels lower than the mentor, but what about the Great Diplomat cohort? Can the Great Diplomat Leader get a double-cohort whammy?)

Ionari
2009-11-20, 12:41 AM
Q 331

Is a spell that does not require a ranged attack roll (I'm thinking specifically of Manyjaws, if it makes a difference) subject to the miss chance imposed by partial concealment (20%)?

Nazde Bahatur
2009-11-20, 09:53 AM
Q.332
What happens if a Favored Soul takes the feat Arcane Disciple?
Does he add the domain spells to his known spells, or add them to the list where he picks his known spells from? The question is, effectively, if he knows one more spell-per-level if he takes the feat, or if he simply has more choices from which to choose his known spells.
Oh, and the feat itself, does it grant the domain special abilities as well, or simply the spells?

Stegyre
2009-11-20, 10:38 AM
A 332
Nothing.
Favored Soul is a divine casting class. It does not qualify for Arcane Disciple, which requires ability to cast arcane spells and adds the chosen domain's spells to your class list of arcane spells.

Arcane Disciple does not add the domain ability. For that, you need Divine Sorcery (Dragon 343), which requires that the character be a Sorcerer.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-20, 10:47 AM
A 331 No.

Partial concealment does not break either line of sight or line of effect, which is all that's required to be able to target someone with a spell. If there is no attack roll required, there is no chance of missing with that attack roll.

chevalier
2009-11-20, 01:07 PM
Q333

I am under the impression that under RAW, every successful attack does at least 1 hp damage. So under RAW, should a Carrion Crawler's tentacle attack do 1 hp dmg + paralysis, or just paralysis?

Chevalier.

Douglas
2009-11-20, 01:12 PM
A333

Penalties to damage cannot reduce damage below 1, but for that rule to come into play the attack has to deal damage in the first place. If an attack has no damage listed at all then it does not do damage. This is different from an attack with, say, 1d4-4 damage, which will always do 1 damage despite the maximum of the expression being 0.

As a side note, damage reduction is separate from damage penalties and can reduce damage to 0.

powerdemon
2009-11-20, 01:12 PM
A 333 No
Actually no, since no damage is listed, it does none. That rule was intended for when negative strength or other things reduce damage to 0 or lower. So like Cat for instance does 1d2-4 damage which would always be a negative number. The rules change that to a minimum of 1.

EDIT: Weeninja!

Thurbane
2009-11-20, 05:30 PM
Q 334

Do the creatures summoned by the Figurines of Wondrous Power (specifically, the Golden Lions) count as Animals for spells like Animal Growth? I'm pretty sure they would, but the fact they can understand common made me wonder.

Nerocite
2009-11-20, 09:37 PM
Q 335

Can you upgrade/change specific armors and weapons?

Thurbane
2009-11-20, 09:58 PM
A 335

I asked this myself once - there is no RAW ruling on it AFAIK. By the strictest reading of RAW, then probably not...but most reasonable DMs would allow it.

UglyPanda
2009-11-20, 10:03 PM
A 335
Magic Item Compendium, page 233. You pay the difference between the old cost and the new cost to the crafter and then you get what you want.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-21, 12:35 AM
A 334 Yes.
Golden Lions

These figurines come in pairs. They become normal adult male lions. A well-trained pet will understand some simple Common, so you should assume that applies to the lions as well.

Hadessniper
2009-11-21, 02:19 AM
Q 336

Can you flank with a mirror image?

Tavar
2009-11-21, 02:36 AM
Q 337
Are their any rules for breaking items in a container? Like, say you're bashing open a chest with them in it?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-21, 03:02 AM
A 336 No.

Flanking requires threatening. Mirror Images don't threaten.
flank

To be directly on the other side of a character who is being threatened by another character. A flanking attacker gains a +2 flanking bonus on attack rolls against the defender. A rogue can sneak attack a defender that she is flanking.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-21, 03:09 AM
A 337

In its simple model of the world, D&D rules restrict effects on objects inside containers.
line of effect

Line of effect tells you whether an effect (such as an explosion) can reach a creature. Line of effect is just like line of sight, except line of effect ignores restrictions on visual ability. For instance, a fireball's explosion doesn't care if a creature is invisible or hiding in darkness. Until the container has been breached, you don't have line of effect to the contents. Thus it takes a new attack after the container has been broken open before any damage can be done to the contents.

Hadessniper
2009-11-21, 03:09 AM
A 336 No.

Flanking requires threatening. Mirror Images don't threaten.

The bonus from flanking is because the defender has to split his focus there by weakening his defense, correct? Then wouldn't the defender have to know he isn't being threatened? Presumably he would react to a mirror image as if he were being threatened.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-21, 03:16 AM
The bonus from flanking is because the defender has to split his focus there by weakening his defense, correct? Then wouldn't the defender have to know he isn't being threatened?
No, the bonus is from the opponent being threatened. Illusions can't actually make the many nondamaging glancing blows that are normal in combat, because each one would give the opponent a new save for interacting with that illusion. Thus their distraction is too minor to actually provide a combat bonus.

Logalmier
2009-11-21, 12:36 PM
Q 338:

Do items that boost your int (such as a Headband of Intellect) give you temporary skill points?

IthilanorStPete
2009-11-21, 12:42 PM
A338

No. From the SRD entry on Headband of Intellect:

This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained; use the unenhanced Intelligence bonus to determine skill points.

Ionari
2009-11-21, 05:45 PM
Q 339:

The description of the Bracers of the Entangling Blast (MIC 80) states:

"... the next spell you cast ... deals only half its normal damage; however, any creature damaged by the spell becomes entangled for 1d3 rounds."

How does this interact with spells that deal damage over a period of several successive rounds? I assume all the damage (not just the first round) gets halved. But does each round of damage cause entanglement? E.g. if you are damaged by the spell once, get entangled (1d3 --> 1) 1 round, and then get damaged by the spell the next round, do you roll 1d3 again to see how many more rounds you are entangled?

In other words, is it
(i) "any creature damaged by the spell becomes entangled for 1d3 rounds, and is thereafter immune to the entangling effect", or
(ii) "any creature damaged by the spell becomes entangled for 1d3 rounds, whether or not it is the first time the creature has taken damage from the spell"?

Icebird
2009-11-21, 07:33 PM
Q 440

Does temporary hit points stacks?
Does a Phoera (MM3) can stack temporary hit points if struck with multiple fire source?
How long does the phoera temporary hit points from his healing fire last?
Can a phoera gain hit points by bathing in lava?

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-21, 07:54 PM
Q 441:

Do you have to attack to use combat expertise?

Icebird
2009-11-21, 08:16 PM
A 441

Yes: "when he make a attack or full attack action, the player can choose a number..."
You can only declare use of expertise when you do a attack or full attack.

Rogue 7
2009-11-21, 11:25 PM
Q. 442

In the Tome of Battle, there are "Legacy Weapons" that require rituals to activate their powers. However, I can't find what powers are least, lesser, or greater. Where are they given?

Sliver
2009-11-21, 11:52 PM
Q 343 (little jump in the question # there)

Can I use Charnel Touch (dread necromancer) along with a normal attack? If so, can it be used while wielding a 2HW?

It only specifies it is "at will, once per round", does that mean it a free action? Can I use it with a full attack routine or after a charge (where I already attacked with a weapon and this is an extra)

Is there an errata for this?

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-22, 12:55 AM
A. 343

Charnel Touch is a supernatural ability, which by default is a standard action.

Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise.

Since it is similar to the touch attacks possessed by some undead, I do not believe it can be combined with a normal attack. In fact, it would probably have to explicitly say you can in the ability description for any of that to work.

powerdemon
2009-11-22, 02:03 AM
Q. 442

In the Tome of Battle, there are "Legacy Weapons" that require rituals to activate their powers. However, I can't find what powers are least, lesser, or greater. Where are they given?

A 342
That took me forever to figure out too. The least are for 5th through 10th level abilities on the weapon (or armor in some cases), Lesser are 11th through 15th, and greater is up to 20.

BobVosh
2009-11-22, 02:43 AM
Q. 344

Does haste increase the number of natural attacks?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-22, 06:18 AM
A 344 No.

Haste allows an extra attack with a held weapon. Natural weapons are part of the creature and thus not held. (A Monk's unarmed attack, though not held, is treated as if it were a manufactured weapon, and so also qualifies.)

weenie
2009-11-22, 06:38 AM
Q 345

Can you cast the spell thunderlance twice and use them as if they were two weapons?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-22, 07:08 AM
A 345 Yes.

Each effect of the Thunderlance spell is an independent creation, so there's no conflict with multiple castings.

Icebird
2009-11-22, 07:16 AM
Q 346

Does temporary hit points stacks?
Does a Phoera (MM3) can stack temporary hit points with healing fire if struck with multiple fire source?
How long does the phoera temporary hit points from his healing fire last?
Can a phoera gain hit points by bathing in lava?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-22, 10:08 AM
A 346

From the FAQ:
Do temporary hit points from two applications of the same effect stack? What about from different effects? If I have temporary hit points from multiple sources, how should I apply damage?
Temporary hit points from two applications of the same effect don’t stack; instead, the highest number of temporary hit points applies in place of all others. Temporary hit points from different sources stack, but you must keep track of them separately. The Phoera's Healing Fire ability will transform healing in excess of full normal hit points into temporary hit points, but successive applications will not add to this temporary hit point pool; instead, a larger number will replace the previous temporary hit point total.

There is no mention of these temporary hit points expiring, so they last until expended. Lava is not an effect targeted on the Phoera, so it has no effect.

Tavar
2009-11-22, 07:00 PM
Q 347
When making a full attack, you could attack with all your natural weapons and an unarmed strike, correct?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-22, 07:56 PM
A 347

You could make a full iterative attack with manufactured weapons and/or an unarmed strike, and your natural weapons as secondary attacks (all at a -5 penalty to hit).

Juhn
2009-11-22, 10:05 PM
Q 348

According to the SRD here, under Touch Spells in Combat and specifically, Holding a Charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm), if you miss with a Touch Attack made to hit a target with a touch spell, the charge is not expended until you either Touch something else or cast another spell. Do you retain a charge when you miss with a Ranged Touch Attack as well, or is this only the case with melee touch attacks?

erikun
2009-11-22, 10:08 PM
A 348

No. Missing with a ranged touch attack expends the "charge" and may not be attempted again (unless you cast the spell a second time).

Juhn
2009-11-22, 10:08 PM
Ah, thanks; could you perhaps point me toward the rule/errata that states this as well?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-22, 10:12 PM
That section specifically refers to spells with a range of Touch, not merely any spell that requires a touch attack. See the first sentence: Many spells have a range of touch. Spells with a range of Touch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#range) require physical contact, i.e. a melee touch attack.

Juhn
2009-11-22, 10:13 PM
Alright, that makes sense (as does you not suddenly getting rays back just because they missed). Thanks.

Alejandro
2009-11-23, 01:28 PM
Q 349

I have gotten my hands on 200 feet of thick (hardness 15) mithril chain. Can anyone give me a rough idea, or where to look, to determine how much this might be worth?

Stegyre
2009-11-23, 01:40 PM
A 349
From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#mithral): 500 gp/lb.

(Reading between the lines: this seems to highlight the hazard of a DM using something like this as an extraordinary obstacle for the PCs, which then turns into a substantial treasure, unless your DM factored this into the WBE calculation.)

EDIT: 10' of chain, by the way (also from the SRD), has a weight of 2 lb, as mithril weighs have as much, 200' would be 20 lb. If it's "heavy" chain, I'd maybe double or triple that weight.

Alejandro
2009-11-23, 01:56 PM
A 349
From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#mithral): 500 gp/lb.

(Reading between the lines: this seems to highlight the hazard of a DM using something like this as an extraordinary obstacle for the PCs, which then turns into a substantial treasure, unless your DM factored this into the WBE calculation.)

EDIT: 10' of chain, by the way (also from the SRD), has a weight of 2 lb, as mithril weighs have as much, 200' would be 20 lb. If it's "heavy" chain, I'd maybe double or triple that weight.

It's from a professionally published campaign. And it's really not as valuable as I thought it would be. Even if it's 40 lbs of mithril, and I sell it with Mercantile Background (which I have) it's still only 15,000 GP to split among six characters, all of whom are 9th to 12th level. Not much at all.

Thurbane
2009-11-23, 09:53 PM
Q 350

I thought there was a feat somewhere that let a two-headed creature cast two spells per round. From memory, I thought it was in Savage Species, but I can't find it. Does anyone know the feat I am talking about (P.S. it's not the Vestigial Twin trait in DMG II)?

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-23, 09:59 PM
A 350

The feat is indeed in Savage Species, on page 35.

Nazde Bahatur
2009-11-24, 08:48 AM
Q.351 I have a somewhat abstract question.
I recall seeing a template (i think, at least), possibly from Lords of Madness, that gave the creature a bunch of illithid-like abilities. The illustration depicted a lizardfolk with tentacles in place of a mouth (and it was too damn cool!).
Anyone know what the heck it was, and in what book and page i can find it?
Thanks in advance.

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-24, 08:51 AM
A. 351 Half-Illithid template, Fiend Folio p.91.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-24, 08:52 AM
A 351

There's the Half-Illithid: Underdark, pages 90-91.

EDIT: As always, follow the official update rule: newer material with the same name obsoletes prior content. The Fiend Folio template is no longer current.

SpikeFightwicky
2009-11-24, 09:28 AM
I have a few questions about the Bardic Music ability:

Q352a: Inspire courage states that you need 3 ranks in a perform skill to use songs and poetics to inspire courage. However, the description goes on to state that the effect lasts for as long as the other members of the group can hear the bard sing. So does this ability grant me the ability to sing poetically, even if I have something like Perform (Flute)? Or, should it specify that you need 3 ranks in Perform (Singing) for the ability to work?

Q352b: By RAW, if a bard gets hit for 70 damage whilst singing to inspire courage, they don't need to make any kind of concentration check (Inspire Courage does not need concentration to maintain). However, if someone's singing anything for a million $, and I run up and jab them in the kidney with a steak knife, I'm pretty sure they'd stop singing (or at least interrupt the song), even if it meant losing the million. This always bugged me (and I'm usually the one playing the bard...) Is there any rule anywhere that ever covered this (even an optional rule)? Doing so much as using a wand command word breaks the song, so it doesn't seem to take much to spoil the effect.

Incompleat
2009-11-24, 11:15 AM
Q. 353

According to the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#shieldBashAttacks), a shield bash with a heavy shield gets a -10 to-hit penalty, unless you get the "Two-weapon Fighting" feat.

Am I missing something, or does this make shield bashes (and, by extension, the "Improved Shield Bash" feat) almost entirely useless?

Is there any reasonable way to make a shield bash-focused heavy fighter who does not suck too much?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-24, 11:25 AM
A 352a

"Hear the Bard sing" is shorthand for hear the Bard perform their Bardic music to Inspire Courage. This performance can be with any musical or poetic ability in which the Bard has at least 3 ranks in the corresponding Perform skill.

A 352b

While Inspire Courage does not directly stipulate a Concentration check, it is based on use of the Bard's Perform skill.
You must make a Concentration check whenever you might potentially be distracted (by taking damage, by harsh weather, and so on) while engaged in some action that requires your full attention. Such actions include casting a spell, concentrating on an active spell, directing a spell, using a spell-like ability, or using a skill that would provoke an attack of opportunity. Using a skill that takes 1 action or longer provokes attacks of opportunity unless otherwise stated. If a Bard is injured, they must make the standard Concentration check (DC = 10 + damage dealt) to continue with their Perform skill use.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-24, 11:28 AM
A353

You can use the shield bash as the main-hand attack, and the weapon as the off-hand, which reduces two-weapon fighting penalties. Or just attack solely with the shield.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-24, 11:34 AM
A 353

Two-Weapon Fighting reduces the off-hand penalty for a 1-handed weapon to -4 and a light weapon to -2.
A heavy shield made out of mithral (instead of steel) and darkwood (instead of normal wood) is half as heavy as a regular shield, and thus counts as a light weapon instead of a 1-handed weapon for encumbrance.
For anything more complex than this, I suggest you create a new thread on the topic.

Stegyre
2009-11-24, 05:15 PM
Q 354 This is a question on the Unbound Scroll PrC from Eberron Dragonmarked:

At 2nd level in this PrC, a character gains Improved Arcane Mark, which allows him to use the Arcane Mark sla from his Least Dragonmark class-level additional times per day.

Most of the other US class abilities allow the character to spend "one use of any of your dragonmark powers" to power various other special abilities, such as raising the CL or DC for a scroll or even effectively giving a scroll extra "charges" (the capstone Ghost Writing ability).

The question: can the character expend the Improved Arcane Mark uses to power these abilities? After all, that explicitly is the dragonmark power for the character's least dragonmark.

Zavrith
2009-11-24, 11:35 PM
Q. 355

Do prestige classes give the standard xp penalty for multiclassing? If I were a dwarven wizard who took levels in the prestige class of loremaster, would I get -20% xp until wizard and loremaster were within one level of each other?

Q. 356aAlso, does the feat Precocious Apprentice (Complete Arcane pg 181) allow me to qualify for the Mystic Theurge prestige class?

Q. 356bBeing human with two feats at first, could I take the Precocious Apprentice feat twice, picking a different spell?

Essentially, I want to make a sorcerer/favoured soul mystic theurge so that I can have an obscene number of at will spells/day. I want to take my first level in sorcerer with Precocious Apprentice and then four levels in favoured soul, followed by the rest of my levels in mystic theurge. Being human, the difference between sorcerer and favoured soul should be okay as long as mystic theurge doesn't count against me.

Thanks!

Stegyre
2009-11-25, 12:15 AM
A 355
Prestige classes do not count for multi-classing xp penalties. This is explicitly stated at page 30 of the FAQ. (Otherwise, as your example implies, most characters taking a PrC would be hit with a penalty, and single-class characters more so than others.)

A 356a
This issue is sometimes debated, but the better argument seems to be no. MT requires ability to cast 2nd level spells. Precocious Apprentice does not give you that; it gives you only the chance of being able to cast a specific 2nd level spell. Moreover, the feat description itself does not appear to consider the feat as qualifying one to cast 2nd level spells, as it notes, "When you become able to cast 2nd-level spells, you lose the benefit described above but retain the extra 2nd-level spell slot, . . . ."

As noted, the issue may be (and is) debated, but if you seek a debate, you should open a separate thread.

A 356b
You may only take a feat more than once if the feat description explicitly says you may do so. (See, e.g., Toughness.) The default is that each feat may be taken only once. Precocious Apprentice does not indicate that it may be taken more than once, so it may only be taken once.

As an aside, the received technique that does qualify one for early entry into Mystic Theurge is to take Versatile Spellcaster (requires being a Sorcerer or other spontaneous caster) and Heighten Spell. Such a character is then able to cast 2nd level spells even at 1st level, because he can combine two 1st-level spell slots to create a 2nd-level slot and then heighten a known 1st-level spell to 2nd-level. (Note further, that while VS requires spontaneous casting, it is not limited to arcane spells, so these two feats may be used to satisfy the 2nd-level casting requirement for both divine and arcane spells.)

Kosjsjach
2009-11-25, 04:28 AM
Q 357

Can a Tibbit (Dragon Compendium) character use its class features while in housecat form? I ask because the ability description says it functions "similar to" the polymorph spell, and I read that polymorphed creatures lose their normal abilities, including class abilities.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-25, 06:05 AM
A 356b small correction

You may only take a feat more than once if the feat description explicitly says you may do so. (See, e.g., Toughness.) The default is that each feat may be taken only once.
That's actually not the case. The default is that you may take any feat that you qualify for. The limitation is not in how many times you may take the feat, but rather whether doing so provides any additional benefit.
If a character has the same feat more than once, its benefits do not stack unless indicated otherwise in the description. In general, having a feat twice is the same as having it once. In addition to those feats which explicitly call out new benefits for taking those feats again, there are a few other cases where you may select a feat again for additional benefit. One example is collection feats (such as Abyssal Heritor feats), where the benefits are in part determined by how many feats from that collection you have.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-25, 06:25 AM
A 357 Generally yes.

Polymorph is a difficult spell to understand, and you're a bit misinformed.
This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature.
Your class and level, hit points, alignment, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses all remain the same. You retain all supernatural and spell-like special attacks and qualities of your normal form, except for those requiring a body part that the new form does not have (such as a mouth for a breath weapon or eyes for a gaze attack).

You keep all extraordinary special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but you lose any from your normal form that are not derived from class levels. So, generally speaking, you retain your class abilities. If you were a spellcaster you would have difficulties with spells with either verbal (no speaking voice) or somatic (no hands) components. As most spells require verbal and/or somatic components, functionally you would lose much of your class capabilities in this regard. Similarly you would be unable to benefit from class abilities that required hands to hold weapons (Fighter, Ranger, & c.) or tools (Rogue), or a voice (Bardic music). Perhaps that's what prompted your question.

Fitz10019
2009-11-25, 01:39 PM
A 357 also note

As a cautionary supplement to Curmudgeon's answer: While you retain your class abilities and feats, you gain the attacks but not the feats of the form you assume. For example, turning into a wolf does not give you the Track feat, even though the wolf has it. This is especially worth noting for any creature that uses Weapon Finesse for its attack bonus, such as the tiny cat in the OP's original question.

Warclam
2009-11-25, 03:39 PM
Q358
Is it true that you can't make items of artificer infusions? If so, where is this mentioned?

IthilanorStPete
2009-11-25, 04:20 PM
Q359

What ways are there to increase my character's reach? I'm already Colossal sized and using a reach weapon. (spiked chain, specifically) However, I'm not satisfied with the 60' reach it gives me.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-25, 04:44 PM
A 358

Actually, you've got that the other way around. Artificers can't make infusions without imbuing them into items in the process.
An artificer’s infusions can only be imbued into an item or a construct (including warforged). He can not, for example, simply imbue an ally with bull’s strength. He must instead imbue that ability into an item his ally is wearing. Furthermore, all the item crafting feats an Artificer learns require spells to create.
An artificer’s infusions do not meet spell prerequisites for creating magic items. For example, an artificer must still employ the Use Magic Device skill to emulate the light spell to create a wand of light, even though light appears on his infusion list.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-25, 04:47 PM
A 359

From the Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff):

Reach
Warshaper 3, ecl 8, Complete Warrior, +5'
Atavist 5 (aggressive spirit), ecl 10, Races of Eberron, +5'
Umbral Disciple 10, ecl 15, Magic of Incarnum, +5' per essentia
Shadowblade 9, ecl 14, Tome of Magic, +10', limited use
Deformity (tall), vile feat, Heroes of Horror, +5'
Inhuman Reach, aberrant feat, Lords of Madness, +5'
Long Reach, feat, FR: Unapproachable East, +5' with short or longspears, on your turn only
Long Arm, fiendish graft, Fiend Folio, +5'
Mark of Malbolge, feat, Fiendish Codex II, +5' for 1 round, see text
Bestial Charge, feat, Complete Champion, +5' once per day, see text
Lunging Strike, feat, PHB2, +5', see text
Dancing Blade Form, stance, Tome of Battle, +5' only on your turn

IthilanorStPete
2009-11-25, 04:51 PM
Awesome, thanks. (Although everything;s listed twice.) *bookmarks List of Stuff*

Warclam
2009-11-25, 05:01 PM
Q358 Clarification

I knew that much, Curmudgeon. Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was actually asking about the possibility of creating custom items that mimic infusions rather than spells; specifically, a use-activated item of spell storing item. Would that be possible, or is it not permitted to make items that duplicate infusions?

EDIT: Though looking at the second part of your answer, I fear not....

Curmudgeon
2009-11-25, 05:35 PM
... or is it not permitted to make items that duplicate infusions?
As there's no way to store an infusion for later use, the only way would be for a spellcaster to research a spell with similar properties. This leads to a custom ruling on such things from each DM involved, which takes it outside the scope of the "Simple Q&Q" thread.

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-25, 07:05 PM
A 358

I believe Minor Schema can store Artificer Infusions, though I do not currently have access to my books, so I'd appreciate a verification or correction.

Warclam
2009-11-25, 07:10 PM
A 358

I believe Minor Schema can store Artificer Infusions, though I do not currently have access to my books, so I'd appreciate a verification or correction.

Ah! Yes, you're right; you can have a minor schema of an infusion. That's 1/day and nothing with expensive material components or XP costs, so no schema of spell storing item, but it sets a precedent for magic items of infusions. Good enough for me.

EDIT: Actually, spell storing item has no XP cost if it's mimicking a 0-level spell (the infusion's description lacks the usual "0-level spells count as 1/2" bit). I'm not sure how useful it would be to have any cantrip you want once a day with 1 minute of prep time, though. Maybe if you really need to know if something is poisoned....

Ionari
2009-11-25, 07:23 PM
Q 360:

The description of the Bracers of the Entangling Blast (MIC 80) states:

"... the next spell you cast ... deals only half its normal damage; however, any creature damaged by the spell becomes entangled for 1d3 rounds."

How does this interact with spells that deal damage over a period of several successive rounds? I assume all the damage (not just the first round) gets halved. But does each round of damage cause entanglement? E.g. if you are damaged by the spell once, get entangled (1d3 --> 1) 1 round, and then get damaged by the spell the next round, do you roll 1d3 again to see how many more rounds you are entangled?

In other words, is it
(i) "any creature damaged by the spell becomes entangled for 1d3 rounds, and is thereafter immune to the entangling effect", or
(ii) "any creature damaged by the spell becomes entangled for 1d3 rounds, whether or not it is the first time the creature has taken damage from the spell"?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-25, 07:36 PM
A 360 Neither.

It's not that any affected creature becomes immune to the entangling effect; rather it's that the entangling effect is limited to 1d3 rounds per spell or SLA, as specified in the item description; the first entanglement uses up that duration. The Bracers function three times per day.

Ionari
2009-11-25, 08:02 PM
A 360 Neither.

It's not that any affected creature becomes immune to the entangling effect; rather it's that the entangling effect is limited to 1d3 rounds per spell or SLA, as specified in the item description; the first entanglement uses up that duration. The Bracers function three times per day.

Does this reasoning apply more generally to duration-effect spells?

E.g., Fire Shield provides that "Any creature striking you with its body or a handheld weapon deals normal damage, but at the same time the attacker takes 1d6 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +15)." Does this mean that the second time a creature strikes me, it doesn't take any more damage because the first time already used up the 1d6+CL damage quota?

What concerns me here is that Fire Shield - like the bracers - does not specify "each time a creature takes damage", or "each time a creature strikes you". Rather they both use the "any creature" formulation. So if the bracers only apply the 1d3 rounds of entanglement one time to any given creature, I'm not sure how Fire Shield applies the 1d6+CL damage more than one time to any given creature - and I've always read Fire Shield to "protect" me for the entire duration, not just the first time. What am I missing - or am I in fact wrong about Fire Shield?

UglyPanda
2009-11-25, 08:57 PM
Q 361
What happens if you cast Time Stop in a time stop?

Q 362
Can an innate spell (feat, Complete Arcane) have metamagic applied?

Demons_eye
2009-11-26, 12:47 AM
Q: 363
If you play as a DVATI and pick fight does that mean you have 2 fighters not just one? IE: If fighting in melee can you use both not just one.

GreyVulpine
2009-11-26, 02:00 AM
Q 362
Can an innate spell (feat, Complete Arcane) have metamagic applied?

A362
Innate spell gives the ability to cast a spell as a spell-like ability once per round. Normal Metamagic does not apply to spell-like abilities (Complete Arcane, pg 71). Sudden Metamagic works, as well as Empower Spell-like Ability, Quicken Spell-like ability, and Maximize Spell-like Ability.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-26, 05:53 AM
Does this reasoning apply more generally to duration-effect spells?
No. It's a specific property of a magic item, and has no impact on how spells behave in general.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-26, 06:02 AM
A 361

The duration of your apparent time remaining becomes the longer of

the number of rounds left from the first casting
the number from the second casting

Curmudgeon
2009-11-26, 06:14 AM
A 363

A Dvati character has two different bodies. While these bodies share the same capabilities and initiative, and gain additional benefits from fighting together, they are two different creatures. With the limitation that one Dvati twin cannot cast a spell alone, each creature otherwise gets its own turn.

powerdemon
2009-11-26, 07:59 AM
Q 364
What is a Dvati? Sounds interesting. And what book/s is it in?

MichielHagen
2009-11-26, 08:07 AM
A 364

Dragon Magazine (and compendium).

powerdemon
2009-11-26, 08:21 AM
A 364

Dragon Magazine (and compendium).

Do you know which issue?

AngelOmnipotent
2009-11-26, 08:43 AM
Q365

If someone has a Natural Reach of 10ft, can they also attack things at a distance of 5ft if they wish, and without penalty?

MichielHagen
2009-11-26, 09:13 AM
A365

From the SRD:

Unlike when someone uses a reach weapon, a creature with greater than normal natural reach (more than 5 feet) still threatens squares adjacent to it. A creature with greater than normal natural reach usually gets an attack of opportunity against you if you approach it, because you must enter and move within the range of its reach before you can attack it. (This attack of opportunity is not provoked if you take a 5-foot step.)

Curmudgeon
2009-11-26, 10:05 AM
A 364

A Dvati is a two-bodied character: two creatures, one soul. It's in Dragon Compendium on pages 14-17, with tables (height and weight, age, & c.) on page 7. The original source is Dragon # 271 (2000 May).

Nazde Bahatur
2009-11-26, 10:10 AM
Q.366
Apart from Veil of Allure, are there any other official items that boost Enchantment and Illusion spell DCs?
Could you help me out, for I do not know how to create custom ones..
Could you tell me how much would each of these items cost?
-A pendant that gives +2 to Enchantment DCs
-A pendant that gives +2 to Enchantment and +2 to Illusion DCs
-A pendant that gives +4 to Enchantment DCs
-A pendant that gives +4 to Enchantment and +4 to Illusion DCs.
Much obliged, thanks in advance!!!

Brendan
2009-11-26, 11:09 AM
Q367
What tier is a crusader generally considered? What about a warblade?

IthilanorStPete
2009-11-26, 11:10 AM
A367

Tier 3, both of them. See here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1002.0).

Curmudgeon
2009-11-26, 11:25 AM
A 366

A Domain Draught (Magic Item Compendium, page 156) gives you the granted power of a Clerical domain for 24 hours. The Domination domain has Spell Focus (Enchantment) as its granted power. The Tyranny domain grants +1 to the DC of any enchantment (compulsion) spell you cast. The Gnome and Illusion domains grant +1 caster level to all illusion spells you cast.

A Shawl of Bewitching (Complete Adventurer, page 165) adds +1 CL when casting any enchantment (charm) spell.

I know you only asked for DC boosters (to help with saving throws), but I threw in the CL boosters (to help with spell resistance) also.

The cost of any custom magic items is something you'd need to take up with your DM. Boosts to spell DCs aren't given by a standard formula.

Agent_0042
2009-11-26, 11:49 AM
Q 368
Is there a feat which lets me wield an appropriately-sized weapon one effort category lighter (as opposed to, say, monkey grip, which lets me wield an oversized weapon as an appropriately-sized weapon of the same effort category)?

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-26, 10:46 PM
Q 369

How does Craft Contingent Spell interact with spells with variable casting times? If I were to make a Contingent Channeled Divine Shield, for example, how strong could it be? Could the crafter choose the casting time used?

Accountant
2009-11-26, 11:50 PM
Q 370

Haste. Is there any way that a cleric could get this, and domain that grants it? I want to try to DMM persist myself with it.

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-26, 11:53 PM
A. 370

The Celerity domain (found in both Complete Divine and Spell Compendium) grants haste as a 4th level domain spell.

jokey665
2009-11-26, 11:53 PM
A370
Celerity domain (CDiv p137)
Time domain (PGtF p91)

Thurbane
2009-11-27, 12:30 AM
Q 371

Does the Natural Bond feat apply to only one animal companion, or to all (if you have extras from, say, the Beastmaster PrC)? If it only applies to one, can you take it multiple times, once for each companion?

powerdemon
2009-11-27, 02:20 AM
Q 371

Does the Natural Bond feat apply to only one animal companion, or to all (if you have extras from, say, the Beastmaster PrC)? If it only applies to one, can you take it multiple times, once for each companion?

A 371

All. You add 3 to your "effective druid level". It does not say anywhere that it only applies to one creature.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-27, 02:55 AM
A 370 correction

Celerity domain (CDiv p137)
Time domain (PGtF p91)
WotC's rule is that updated material with the same name always replaces older content, and these references have been obsoleted. The updated domain source is Spell Compendium in both cases. In particular, the list of spells for the Time domain has changed (though Haste remains on both domain spell lists, at 4th and 3rd levels, respectively).

BRC
2009-11-27, 12:32 PM
Q 372: The SRD says this about helpless defenders

Regular Attack

A helpless character takes a -4 penalty to AC against melee attacks, but no penalty to AC against ranged attacks.

A helpless defender can’t use any Dexterity bonus to AC. In fact, his Dexterity score is treated as if it were 0 and his Dexterity modifier to AC as if it were -5 (and a rogue can sneak attack him).
The first part seems to say a helpless defender takes a -4 penalty against melee attacks, and no penalty against ranged.
The second party seems to say he takes a -9 penalty against melee (-4 and -5 from his dex score that is now 0) and a -5 penalty against ranged (From the low dex score). Which is it?

powerdemon
2009-11-27, 12:37 PM
Q 372: The SRD says this about helpless defenders

The first part seems to say a helpless defender takes a -4 penalty against melee attacks, and no penalty against ranged.
The second party seems to say he takes a -9 penalty against melee (-4 and -5 from his dex score that is now 0) and a -5 penalty against ranged (From the low dex score). Which is it?

A 373
Against melee attacks, they take a net -9 AC (so you have to roll anything but a 1 usually), and against ranged, a net -5 (From the DEX).

The first part is saying that there is an unnamed AC penalty against melee attacks. The second part is a Dex penalty against both.

jokey665
2009-11-27, 12:39 PM
A372
His melee AC will have a -4 penalty, and his dex to AC will become -5 instead of whatever it was before. So if a character with a dex mod of +5 and wearing a mithral chain shirt for +4 AC has an AC of 19, if he is made helpless it will drop by 4 from being helpless (AC 15) and his dex mod to AC (currently +5) will drop to -5, for a final total AC of 5.

If the same character is targeted by a ranged attack, he suffers no explicit penalty to AC from being helpless, but his dexterity modifier is still -5 instead of +5, so his AC will be 9.

tl;dr Yes, you still have a lower AC against ranged attacks, but not because being helpless gives you a penalty to AC. It's because your new dexterity score gives a penalty to AC.

drengnikrafe
2009-11-27, 01:43 PM
Q. 373
A) In which book is as class with a name like factorium, or factotum, or... something like that. Also, what is the proper spelling for that word?
B) In which book is the artificer?

IthilanorStPete
2009-11-27, 01:45 PM
A373 (make sure to number your questions right, please)

a.) It's factotum, and it's in Dungeonscape.
b.) Eberron Campaign Setting.

AngelOmnipotent
2009-11-27, 09:27 PM
A372 Continued

I'm guessing it also doesn't matter? Hitting a helpless character is an automatic hit, automatic critical unless you roll a 1.

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-27, 09:35 PM
A 372 Continued Correction

You are describing a Coup De Grace, which does automatically hit. An attacker may still make normal attacks against a helpless ceature, which do not automatically hit. This is important when, for example, the attacker does not have a full-round action to devote to the Coup De Grace.

Baelathil
2009-11-28, 12:04 PM
Various related questions about the Craft skill.

Q. 374a

Which Craft (specialization) is relevant for making arrows ? What's the DC for making arrows ?

Aside from repeatedly mis-reading Armorsmithing as Arrowsmithing, I see Bowmaking and Weaponsmithing listed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm#repairingItems), either of which is plausible, but making arrows isn't explicitly mentioned. Arrows are listed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#martialWeapons) as martial weapons, putting the DC at 15, except that's for "melee or thrown" weapons, not ammunition: they're listed there because ancillary to bows - arguably, they're simple weapons (DC 12) or even simple items (DC 5).

Suppose the DC is 15: any successful check is going to make at least 225 units (unit is cp for a day's work, sp for a week's) of progress. For a day's work, that's enough to make 45 arrows. So, obviously, I'm going to set out to make at least 45 arrows. Even with int+ranks = 0, I can potentially make 15*20 = 300 units of progress; in a day, that's enough for 60 arrows. So, if I start out with the materials for 60 arrows and do a day's work, but only just make the DC, I've made progress equivalent to 45 arrows.

Q. 374b

When the thing being crafted comes in large numbers (e.g. arrows), does partial progress mean completing a reduced number of items, or does it mean getting all the items partially complete ?

In the case above, the former means I have 45 arrows, the latter means I have 60 arrows that are 3/4 finished. If I continue on the next day and fail, the former leaves me with 45 arrows and raw materials for seven and a half more (probably rounded down to seven); the latter would leave me with 30 arrows that are 3/4 finished :smallannoyed:

Q. 374c

The description of making the check refers to paying one third of the item's market price for raw materials. However, if one has the raw materials already, or is in a position to forage for them, am I right in supposing that this payment is covered by using up the raw materials you already have ?

If the party is travelling through a forest, foraging for food and wood, I would suppose they can pick up the raw material for arrows - feathers from the bird they shot for lunch, wood from the trees - except for tips. A sharpened end of an arrow can be heated in fire (not so much as to catch fire, of course) to harden it, making an arrow adequate, at least, for shooting tomorrow's lunch, albeit perhaps less than ideal for use in battle. Flints can be broken to make sharp pointy bits that can be bound (with plant fibres or the sinews of creatures killed for food) into a cleft in the business end of the arrow to make a sharp tip, if flints can be found (or the crafter has a supply of them).

Special material (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm) descriptions mention using adamantine or cold iron for arrows, presumably as tips, with only the special material bonus effect. I have to suppose that a steel tip would give a better capacity for piercing armour (i.e. overcoming AC; so attack bonus) than even a fire-hardened wooden one, and adamantine or cold iron would gain similar benefits. So the lack of mention of an attack bonus from using adamantine or cold iron (presumably for the tips) suggests that normal arrows have a steel tip. Thus I suppose a hardened wooden tip or flint arrow-head would have an attack modifier relative to normal; albeit not as much as the penalty for an improvised weapon (since the arrow is still crafted properly, even the tip, albeit without the usual steel tip).

Q. 374d

How do variations like fire-hardened wood, flint arrow-heads and the like stack up as concerns attack bonus and damage ?

Most of the work in making an arrow, aside from actually finding suitable wood, is in whittling each down. The actual logs of suitable wood can reasonably swiftly be split and crudely trimmed to slightly longer and fatter than arrow-sized pieces when found. Packing those accessibly on one's pack animal, it should be possible to walk along, plucking each rough arrow from the pack, whittling it as one walks and swapping the result for the next rough. Tipping and feathering can happen round the camp-fire in the evening and morning, particularly if the arrow-maker is an elf who doesn't need to spend as much time resting as the humans in the party. Likewise, if the arrow-maker's speed is greater than that of some members of the party, walking at the slower companions' speed should leave some slack for arrow-making. So it seems like it'd be reasonable to be able to Craft arrows while on the march with slow companions. For example, a character with a speed of 30 ft/round travelling at only 20 ft/round for the sake of slower companions would seem to have the opportunity to make something like a third to half of a day's-worth of progress at crafting arrows.

Q. 374e

Is it possible to exercise a craft while walking at less than full speed ? If so, how much does it increase the DC of the craft check ? How does this vary with speed-divisor ? Or does it leave the DC unchanged but achieve a fraction of the normal progress ?

Equally, failing that, a fast member of a party might spend a third of a day back at last night's camp crafting, then walk at full speed to catch up with the others just as they're making camp; is it possible to do a third of a day's work crafting in this way ?

The table of DCs lists Alchemy, Trapmaking, Weaponsmithing, Bowmaking and Armoursmithing; but there are many other wares that folk make, that must be covered by other Crafts. These must be moderately broadly specified - as Armoursmithing covers all types of armour; chainmail isn't a separate craft from plate armour - but not too broadly specified - "Smithing" would embrace both Weaponsmithing and Armoursmithing, along with non-martial uses, making it too broad; so an actual smith would need ranks in several craft skills to practice his trade. Presumably it's for the DM to decide how broad a category is appropriate.

Q. 374f

What other Craft (specialization)s are mentioned elsewhere in the rule-books, if any ? What examples have players/DMs played with ? (Discussion of whether those were too broad or narrow may be outside the spirit of this thread; but comments on how well they worked out in practice would be welcome.)

Grushvak
2009-11-28, 12:19 PM
Q. 375

Regarding Draconic Aura (Swiftness), what is required for my allies to benefit from the aura?

Do they have to:

Start their movement inside my aura's radius;
Finish their movement inside my aura's radius;
Be inside my aura's radius at any point through their movement;
Spend their whole movement inside my aura's radius?

sonofzeal
2009-11-28, 12:39 PM
A. 375

Unspecified, but generally they'd have to be inside when the benefit happens. Vigor would happen either at the beginning or end of your turn (choose one and stick with it), Energy Shield would happen when they're attacked, Power when they attack. Each time, they'd check if they're within the radius at that moment and act accordingly.

sonofzeal
2009-11-28, 12:40 PM
Q 376

Is there any Aberration with wings, that makes sense for the "Starspawn" Aberrant feat?

Context: the feat gives you wings, and is based on an aberration heritage, but I can't find any specific aberrations that would fit with that.

Grushvak
2009-11-28, 12:43 PM
Q. 375 Continued

The benefit happens when they're moving, actually, so it still leaves me wondering.

Way I see it, they would take their extra movement whenever they cross my zone, be it in the beginning, middle or end of their movement. But that is still open to interpretation. I was wondering if there was a definitive ruling on this.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-28, 12:56 PM
A 374a

Craft (bowmaking) includes fletching arrows. (Source: Arms and Equipment Guide, page 62)

A 374b

As batches of arrows are priced by the bunch, and the Craft check indicates value of goods completed, partial progress means getting all items partially complete.

A 374 c

The cost of materials includes the time and skill required to select same. You would need to spend the time and make appropriate Profession (forager) checks to justify the materials you obtain for "free".

A 374 d

Fire hardening is going to cost you money, not reduce your expenses. (This was explained to me by an experimental archaeologist, who spent years learning flint knapping, fire making techniques, leather working, and the like.) "Fire hardening" is just removing moisture from a portion of wood. That makes it harder on impact, but also more brittle. Fire hardened arrows are ruined on impact nearly all the time, even if they hit the ground. So you could save some money on resources by not attaching heads, but all your shots (misses as well as hits) are non-recoverable. Plus a headless arrow is just not going to penetrate as well. The only RAW source I know of for headless arrows are the blunt arrows in AaEG (pages 5-7), which deal nonlethal damage.

A 374 e No.

All Craft skills require "dedicated work". You must do nothing else while exercising the skill, or you make no RAW progress.

A 374 f

Here's a long list of Craft skills and the trades that make use of them, from Arms and Equipment Guide.
Craft (armorsmithing): Armorer
Craft (blacksmithing): Blacksmith
Craft (bookbinding): Bookbinder
Craft (bowmaking): Bowyer, Fletcher
Craft (brassmaking): Brazier
Craft (brewing): Brewer
Craft (candlemaking): Chandler
Craft (coppersmithing): Coppersmith
Craft (dyemaking): Dyer
Craft (gemcutting): Gemcutter
Craft (goldsmithing): Goldsmith
Craft (hatmaking): Haberdasher
Craft (hornworking): Horner
Craft (jewelmaking): Jeweler
Craft (locksmithing): Locksmith
Craft (mapmaking): Cartographer
Craft (milling): Miller
Craft (painting): Limner/painter, Painter (portrait)
Craft (parchmentmaking): Parchmentmaker
Craft (pewtermaking): Pewterer
Craft (potterymaking): Potter
Craft (sculpting): Sculptor
Craft (shipmaking): Shipwright
Craft (shoemaking): Cobbler
Craft (silversmithing): Silversmith
Craft (skinning): Skinner
Craft (soapmaking): Soapmaker
Craft (tanning): Tanner
Craft (weaponsmithing): Weaponsmith
Craft (weaving): Weaver
Craft (wheelmaking): Wheelwright
Craft (winemaking): Vintner
Craft (woodworking): Carpenter, Cartwright, Coffinmaker, Cooper

Baelathil
2009-11-28, 04:47 PM
Thank you, Cumudgeon, for (as ever) nice clear answers. The very phrase "experimental archeologist" says such wonderful things :smallamused:

A 374a

Craft (bowmaking) includes fletching arrows. (Source: Arms and Equipment Guide, page 62)
I don't have the book: what's the DC ?

A 374b

As batches of arrows are priced by the bunch, and the Craft check indicates value of goods completed, partial progress means getting all items partially complete.
That's by the bunch of twenty: but their masterwork pricing is by the fifty; and magically enhanced arrows (e.g. arrow of biting, fountainhead arrow, raptor arrow) are priced per single arrow. Furthermore, the enhanced arrow item descriptions' "Cost to Create" entries mention "6 gp for masterwork arrow" among material component costs (ignoring the 5 cp / arrow of just basic arrow cost). So: does the fact that they're usually sold in bunches of 20 really imply that they can only be crafted in buches of 20 ?

The available precedents seem to allow for individual creation, hence creation in arbitrary amounts. After all, they're normally used singly. In particular, if I've got a quiver that initially held twenty, after I've used some, it would seem to make sense to be able to replenish my supplies. If my magic-using travelling companion wants to make a magically enhanced arrow, it has to be masterwork to be enhanced: but he's only going to make those singly (the enhancing is expensive) and I've no other use for masterwork arrows (of course my bow is masterwork; so having masterwork arrows grants no benefit). Buying, or spending the effort to make, a batch of 20 (market value: 121 gp, IIUC) would be insanely wasteful, just for the sake of the one or three that the magic-user is actually going to enhance. Making them singly (priced as 6 gp plus 5 cp each) is the only rational approach.

Q. 374b (revised)

In any case, supposing they're crafted only in bunches of 20: a single day's work can make me at least two and a quarter bundles. If I start the day with raw materials for three bundles and only make a minimal successful check (worth as much as 45 arrows), have I completed two bunches and quarter-completed the arrows of the third bunch ? Or do I really have sixty three-quarter-finished arrows ?

A 374 e No.

All Craft skills require "dedicated work". You must do nothing else while exercising the skill, or you make no RAW progress.
I take it you're referring to (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm)
You can practice your trade and make a decent living, earning about half your check result in gold pieces per week of dedicated work. but that doesn't actually say Craft requires dedicated work, only that "dedicated work" is the standard against which the given guidance on how much one achieves with a Craft skill is calibrated. (Or is some other rule-book more explicit ?) Less-than-dedicated work doubtless gains less-than-proportional (due to lack of focus) amounts, but I don't see that it rules out getting something out of it. The issue is how much ?

I guess, though, that the RAW, by only addressing dedicated work, leave it to DM discretion to deal with how effective less-than-dedicated effort is.

Baelathil
2009-11-28, 04:57 PM
Both Jump and Tumble can be used to eliminate the damage of ten feet of falling, but they don't stack (i.e. you can only benefit from one of them), when (deliberately) jumping down onto a solid surface. Likewise, for deliberately diving into (deep enough) water, both Swim and Tumble can help, but only one counts. In each case, Tumble could have been used as an immediate action had the fall not been deliberate; whereas the Jump or Swim check is only possible for deliberate actions.

Q. 377

Can one attempt both ?

For Jump/Tumble, this makes some sense - if you mess up trying to Jump neatly so as to avoid pain, you follow-up with a Tumble check to recover. For Tumble/Swim, it's less clear; jumping-so-as-to-dive could be read as the swim check, in which case Tumbling to recover on goof-up makes some sense; but if the swim check is construed as what you do about hitting the water, it's too late to recover by Tumbling.

Baelathil
2009-11-28, 05:17 PM
If I run most of my speed, then jump, the rules for Jump (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/jump.htm#jumpingDown) ("Action" section - sadly lacks an ID attribute for exact link) say that I can complete the jump in a subsequent move action, if necessary on my next turn. Generally, jumping takes a penalty if not preceded by a run-up of at least twenty feet.

Q. 378
Does a 20 ft run-up have to be in a straight line to count ?
If so, does the Jump have to be along a continuation of that line ?
If I end one turn with a move action and start the next with a move-and-jump, does the prior movement count towards the run-up for the jump in the new turn ?
Does this only work if, when making the prior movement, I mentioned that it was done as part of the run-up for a subsequent jump ?

Example: I spent the later stages of last turn running 30 ft along the edge of a trench; events since have made this edge seem like a bad place to be, so I want to jump across; if I do so at the start of my new turn, am I taking a doubled-DC penalty or does last turn's movement help me ?

GreyVulpine
2009-11-28, 06:01 PM
A. 377

From the D&D 3.5 FAQ (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a):

Does the benefit of jumping down (from the Jump skill)
and the falling from Tumble stack?

The Jump check and the Tumble check to avoid taking
falling damage do stack. So if a character makes both, he/she
would effectively reduce the distance fallen by 20 feet as far as
damage is concerned.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-28, 06:27 PM
A 377 additional info

You reduce the effective distance fallen further by higher Tumble checks, following the rules in Complete Adventurer on page 103.
If a character deliberately jumps instead of merely slipping or falling, the damage is the same but the first 1d6 is nonlethal damage. Tumble can be used to maintain a spread position in the air for the maximum drag, before reorienting for landing; Jump represents your ability to flex your muscles at the right time to absorb impact; and Swim lets you aim your body smoothly through the water. Or, for the RAW answer: unless the skill checks state they cannot be combined, and their actions are compatible (as, for example, Jump, Tumble, and Swim checks may be made as part of movement) the checks can all be made at the same time.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-28, 06:41 PM
A 378

Does a 20 ft run-up have to be in a straight line to count ?
Yes.
All Jump DCs given here assume that you get a running start, which requires that you move at least 20 feet in a straight line before attempting the jump.

If so, does the Jump have to be along a continuation of that line ? While that makes sense, by RAW it isn't mandated.

If I end one turn with a move action and start the next with a move-and-jump, does the prior movement count towards the run-up for the jump in the new turn ? Yes, if it's in a straight line and not interrupted (as, for example, by an enemy's attack or you taking an AoO).

Does this only work if, when making the prior movement, I mentioned that it was done as part of the run-up for a subsequent jump ? See previous answer. The Jump skill just requires 20' of movement in a straight line.

Baelathil
2009-11-28, 06:44 PM
A 377 additional info

You reduce the effective distance fallen further by higher Tumble checks, following the rules in Complete Adventurer on page 103. I saw that under epic uses (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#tumble); does Complete Adventurer make it generally available ?

... for the RAW answer: unless the skill checks state they cannot be combined, and their actions are compatible (as, for example, Jump, Tumble, and Swim checks may be made as part of movement) the checks can all be made at the same time.
Yum. What I'd read (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#falling) always spoke of "Jump or Tumble", never clarifying whether inclusive or exclusive.

Demons_eye
2009-11-28, 06:59 PM
Q: 379
Where is Dungeoncrasher found?

jokey665
2009-11-28, 07:09 PM
A379
Dungeonscape, p10

Curmudgeon
2009-11-28, 08:53 PM
I saw that under epic uses (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#tumble); does Complete Adventurer make it generally available ?
While Epic feats require the user to be an Epic character, Epic skill uses do not. They just happened to have been introduced in the Epic Level Handbook.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-28, 09:00 PM
374A Continued
Minor Creation says arrows are DC 20 (complex check). They are under Craft (bowmaking) pg 254.

Egiam
2009-11-28, 09:32 PM
Q: 375

An NPC provokes an attack of opportunity in an attempt to grapple an unarmed PC. Would the NPC get an AOO too when the PC punches him?

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-28, 09:52 PM
A 375

No. A character does not threaten (and thus can not make attacks of oppurtunity) with unarmed strikes unless he has Improved Unarmed strike. A character would not provoke an attack of opportunity for attacking with an unarmed strike if he has Improved Unarmed strike. Therefore your situation can not occur within the rules.

Ravens_cry
2009-11-28, 10:54 PM
Q376
If one is in a lit area surrounded by darkness, does darkvision extend so many go 60 feet into the surrounding darkness once the darkness becomes complete, or does it extend 60 feet from the person doing the seen?

GreyVulpine
2009-11-29, 04:40 AM
A376
Darkvision (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#darkvision)'s range extends out from where the character is. Remember that darkvision does not pierce some versions of magical darkness.

grautry
2009-11-29, 07:13 AM
Q377

I'm pretty sure I'm right on this, but I want a confirmation - by RAW, what happens when a saving throw ties with the DC of a spell?

BobVosh
2009-11-29, 07:17 AM
A377
Whoever made the save is successful.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-29, 04:22 PM
Q 378

Would a Warforged Barbarian with the Adamantine Body feat lose their Fast Movement class ability, and other abilities relying on them not wearing heavy armor?

Q 379

Can a Warforged with the Adamantine Body feat still wear armor? They won't get the armor bonus unless it's higher than +8, obviously, but could they still wear it for, say, the magical abilities?

Sorry if these are obvious with the books they're in, I lack those books and am simply going off Crystal Keep.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-29, 05:42 PM
A 378 Yes.

Other than being built into the warforged, adamantine plating is just another form of heavy armor, and it reduces their speed.

A 379 No.

The warforged's armor plating uses their armor slot. They could still benefit from armor special abilities added to Bracers of Armor, though.

rezplz
2009-11-29, 07:48 PM
Q 340: If something has damage reduction say, "15/bludgeoning AND magic", does this mean that a weapon has to be bludgeoning AND magic - such as a +1 heavy mace - or that the damage reduction is bypassed by bludgeoning AND magic weapons - a normal mace or a +1 sword?

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-29, 07:55 PM
A 380

A weapon has to be both bludgeoning and magic to overcome DR X/bludgeoning an magic. If it were DR X/bludgeoning or magic, either quality would suffice.

Gorbash
2009-11-29, 08:22 PM
Q 381

a. When calculating bonus hardness and HP of a magic weapon, do you count special abilities or only +1/2/... ?

For example, does a +2 Longsword have as many HP/hardness as a +1 Keen Longsword?

b. Does casting Greater Magic Weapon incease item's hardness and HP?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-29, 08:28 PM
A 381a

Only numerical enhancements add to the hardness and hit points of a weapon.

A 381b Yes.

(Assuming it increases the weapon's enhancement bonus, that is.)

Stegyre
2009-11-29, 10:34 PM
Q 382
This issue came up in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132583) thread, and because I'm so taken with the Diamond Mind maneuvers, I'd like to try to get a RAW ruling. This is an issue of conflicting (or potentially conflicting) text, and which statement controls:

1. The rules for initiation of maneuvers clearly state, "You cannot use an immediate action if you are currently flat-footed." (Which I think is the basic rule, anyway, I believe.) (ToB 44.)

2. The initiation line for the three DM saving roll counters identifies them as "immediate action" initiations (which they have to be, to be effective, of course).

3. But the textual description of each provides, "You can use this maneuver any time you would be required to make a _______ save," (e.g. ToB 64).

Does this mean a surprised/flat-footed/otherwise unaware character could, or could not, apply a DM boost to a saving roll?

SethFahad
2009-11-30, 12:11 AM
Q 383

A player activates a "Symbol of Pain" trap.

If the same player activates, later (soon) another "Symbol of Pain" trap, are the effects cumulative or just the duration of effects (renew)???

Stegyre
2009-11-30, 12:22 AM
A 383
Negative effects follow the same stacking rules as positive effects. In this case, that means that multiple Symbol of Pain effects do not stack. The latest one will simply replace the earlier one(s), so the last one will determine the duration.

There are exceptions to the stacking rule, but these are specifically called out. (Fear effects, for example, are an express exception and will "stack" to increase the fear level in the target.)

Q 384 (a)
A character has a source of temporary power points - such as from a use of Azure Talent + Psycarnum Infusion or from a Mindfeeder weapon - if he uses these to recharge a cognizance crystal, will they persist? (I am inclined to say no: whether in the character or in the cognizance crystal or any other storage device, these are still temporary power points that expire when they expire, but I'm wondering if this is RAW or the received wisdom.)

Q 384 (b)
Can a Manifester weapon or shield be used to recharge a cognizance crystal? (Again, I'm inclined to a "no" answer, as the description refers to powering a power, but I want to know if I'm missing something.)

Grynning
2009-11-30, 12:45 AM
A 382

You could not use the maneuvers if you were flat-footed (have not yet acted in the combat or have been subject to an ability that renders you flat-footed). You could use them if you were denied your Dex bonus to AC for another reason. Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#immediateActions) is the rules text on immediate actions for reference.

Stegyre
2009-11-30, 01:10 AM
A 382

You could not use the maneuvers if you were flat-footed (have not yet acted in the combat or have been subject to an ability that renders you flat-footed). You could use them if you were denied your Dex bonus to AC for another reason. Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#immediateActions) is the rules text on immediate actions for reference.
I'm familiar with the rule on immediate actions and cited ToB's statement of it in my post. The question is whether the manuever description ("any time" the character makes a saving roll, which will frequently include situations when flat-footed, etc.) trumps that rule.

Grynning
2009-11-30, 01:14 AM
I'm familiar with the rule on immediate actions and cited ToB's statement of it in my post. The question is whether the manuever description ("any time" the character makes a saving roll, which will frequently include situations when flat-footed, etc.) trumps that rule.

This does not create the exception you are thinking it does. "Any time you would make a saving throw" is the the trigger for the immediate action. If you cannot take an immediate action, nothing happens even if it's triggered.

This isn't about the same rules, but consider this example as an explanation: I ready an action to attack when someone enters an adjacent square. I am KO'ed, then someone enters an adjacent square. My readied action would be triggered, but I can't take it because I'm unconcious.

Same basic idea. Yes, the trigger for the maneuver happens, but since you aren't able to take the required type of action, you can't use it.

Agent_0042
2009-11-30, 03:54 PM
Q 368
Is there a feat which lets me wield an appropriately-sized weapon one effort category lighter (as opposed to, say, monkey grip, which lets me wield an oversized weapon as an appropriately-sized weapon of the same effort category)?
Still awaiting an answer on this, please.

Q 385
Are there any official weight restrictions on what you can put in a container (backpack, belt pouch) or is it simply a matter of being reasonable?

Jastermereel
2009-11-30, 07:49 PM
Q 386

Could an Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) with the Dexterous Attack ability also power attack with a two-handed weapon to get extra damage without losing any attack bonus? That is, if I, through PA, sacrificed 5 points of BAB to gain 10 points of damage, and then, through DA, sacrifice 5 points of damage and regain those 5 points of BAB?

Thurbane
2009-11-30, 08:06 PM
A 368

I've seen this asked before, and AFAIK, there is no way to do this, other than homebrew. If you're trying to wield two two-handed weapons, or a two handed weapon and a shield, you may need to look at a race like Thri-kreen or Diopsid.

Thurbane
2009-11-30, 08:17 PM
Q 387

Does the Somatic Weaponry feat overcome the ASF of spells in the same way the Still Spell feat does?

Stormthorn
2009-11-30, 10:57 PM
Q: 388
If im on a mount that leaps as part of a charge movement (assume i pass the ride check and stay on) and i have leap attack does my Leap Attack bonus count if the attack at the end of the charge was a Power Attack?

On one hand, the mount was whats leaping, rather than me, and he wont have that feat. On the other hand, i was also charging, also in the air, and am the one performing the attack at the end of the action.

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-30, 10:57 PM
A 387

All Somatic Weaponry does is allow you to perform spells with somatic components without having a free hand. It has nothing to do with Arcane Spell Failure.

Jastermereel
2009-11-30, 11:09 PM
Q 389

What is the DC for not having reduced movement when traveling through Slashing Sand? If the Spike Stones effect were from a casting, it would be 14 plus the caster's ability modifier, but as part of an item, how is that resolved?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-01, 03:07 AM
A 388

Only a character who both jumps and attacks can benefit from Leap Attack. If you have the feat but your mount does the jumping you obtain no benefit.

theterran
2009-12-01, 07:52 AM
Q390

Basically, I just want to know if the below actually works under RAW:

Assume an Anima Mage / Shadowcraft Mage with shadow illusion and vestige metamagic with the feats Heighten Spell and Earth Spell.

Assuming all this. Were I to use Vestige MetaMagic to apply Heighten Spell to a Silent Image, Heightening it up to a 9th Level Spell (which doesn't actually increase because of the Vestige MetaMagic) which would be an effective 10th level spell through Earth Spell, and this in turn lets me cast a 9th level Evo / Conj spell off of the Wiz/Sorc list.

Not using Precocious Apprentice, this can be up at level 11...assuming it works...

Book References (to help)
ShadowCraft Mage (RoS Pg. 120)
Earth Spell (RoS Pg. 138)
Anima Mage (ToM Pg. 50)

Epinephrine
2009-12-01, 11:48 AM
Q391
a) How do typed damages work with shield other? e.g., 26 incoming fire damage on character A, character B has A shielded with shield other. Both A and B have fire resistance 10.

I've been interpreting it as halving the actual wounds sustained, so A would take 16 actual damage, half of which would be transfered to B, resulting in 8 damage each.

b) How does vile damage interact with shield other? Is the transfered damage vile? Shield other says that half the amount of damage is taken by the caster - but does suffering half the amount transfer the vile effect? The flavor text suggests that the "wounds" are "transferred", which might mean that the vile effect stays.

JeenLeen
2009-12-01, 02:46 PM
Q 392

Since Divine Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinepower.htm) makes your base attack bonus equal to your character level:

A. If you are in epic levels, would your base attack bonus stack with your epic attack bonus? For example, a level 21 person (epic attack bonus of +1) have 21 base attack bonus and 1 epic attack bonus for a total of +22?

B. If yes, could you get more iterative attacks than 4 (+20/+15/+10/+5) while Divine Power is active?

MichielHagen
2009-12-01, 02:58 PM
A 392
A.
RAW i would say it would become equal to your CL+epic AB.
RAI i would say it would become 20+epic AB.

B.

Base Attack Bonus
A base attack bonus is an attack roll bonus derived from character class and level or creature type and Hit Dice (or combinations thereof). Base attack bonuses increase at different rates for different character classes and creature types. A second attack is gained when a base attack bonus reaches +6, a third with a base attack bonus of +11 or higher, and a fourth with a base attack bonus of +16 or higher.

so no

Random832
2009-12-01, 03:18 PM
A 392

Any time a feat, prestige class, or other rule refers to your base attack bonus (except for gaining additional attacks), use the sum of your base attack bonus and epic attack bonus.

So, the sum of your base attack bonus and epic attack bonus becomes equal to your character level. So, say, your base attack bonus becomes 20, and your epic attack bonus becomes the number of levels you have above 20.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-01, 08:24 PM
A 392A

A spell is not a "a feat, prestige class, or other rule" (except in a very broad interpretation of "other rule").
Your base attack bonus becomes equal to your character level.

Epic Attack Bonus

Similarly, the character’s base attack bonus does not increase after character level reaches 20th. However, the character does receive a cumulative +1 epic bonus on all attacks at every odd-numbered level beyond 20th
Divine Power attempts to set the BAB to character level (some number above 20 at Epic levels), but the basic Epic Attack Bonus rule keeps it from increasing past 20. EAB is still added after that, as usual. This would put the subject of Divine Power exactly on attack bonus par with characters who got to Epic levels with full BAB.

Thurbane
2009-12-01, 09:47 PM
Q 393

How does the Extra Spell feat work for a character with a set spell list, such as a Beguiler, Dread Necromancer or Warmage? Would it allow them to add a spell as if using their Advanced Learning class feature?

Q 394

Is there any way to get Invocations other than being a Warlock or Dragonfire Adept?

Faleldir
2009-12-01, 11:09 PM
Q 395
What happens when you apply the Heavy weapon enhancement (Magic Of Faerun) to a battlefist?

Forbiddenwar
2009-12-01, 11:49 PM
Q396

No time to read every single 3.5 book, is there a RAW ruling on sleep walking?
Can someone fight and cast spells while sleep walking?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-02, 04:25 AM
A 393

If you already know all the spells on your class list, Extra Spell does (almost) nothing for you. The tiny exception is for the case where you have multiple spell lists, such as a Cleric with their regular and domain spells. In that case Extra Spell will let them learn (as a regular spell) a spell up to one level lower from those they can already cast, which includes spells from their domain list(s). Extra Spell does not simulate any mechanism by which you can expand your spell lists.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-02, 04:32 AM
A 396 No.

Not to my knowledge.

zagan
2009-12-02, 09:58 AM
Q397

Apart from the bard, is there any class (Base or Prc) that give proficiency with the whip ? Alternatively is there a race that have it as racial proficiency ?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-02, 01:11 PM
A 397 partial

The Favored Soul gets Exotic Weapon Proficiency (whip) if that's the favored weapon of their deity. Among those deities are:

Lolth
Sharindlar
Sune
The Jester class (Dragon Compendium, pages 36-41; updated from the original in Dragon # 60) has proficiency with the whip.

Grushvak
2009-12-02, 01:13 PM
Q 398

When a warlock does a full attack with Eldritch Glaive, does he get to apply a different blast essence to every attack he gets, or is it one applied to the lot?

Basically, suppose he gets 3 attacks, and wants to make them all Hellfire Blasts, will he lose 1 or 3 con points? Can he decide to make two of them Hellfire Blasts and the last one a Vitriolic Blast?

zagan
2009-12-02, 02:00 PM
Thanks, I did think about the war domain but I manage to forget about the favored soul. It might work even better for what I palned.
I will also give a look at the Jester.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-02, 02:40 PM
Thanks, I did think about the war domain but I manage to forget about the favored soul.
I haven't found any deities with both the War domain and whip as their favored weapon.

BRC
2009-12-02, 03:57 PM
Q 399
If I have a CR 1/2 Creature, and I add a template that increases it's CR by 1, what is the final CR for the creature?

Tavar
2009-12-02, 07:51 PM
Q 400
Does stone bones allow one to damage things like swarms that don't take damage from normal melee attacks?

Douglas
2009-12-02, 07:59 PM
A400

No. Note, however, that only swarms of Fine or Diminutive size creatures are immune to weapon damage. If this is because of my Neverending Dungeon game, you described the spiders as "tiny". If my assumption that this was meant as the game term was incorrect and they are actually smaller than that, I want to change my action because it was clearly based on a misinterpretation.

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-02, 08:19 PM
A 398

Eldritch Glaive is a single invocation that allows you to take iterative attacks as part of its full-round action. All the attacks come from a single usage of Eldritch Glaive. As such, any eldritch essence you choose to apply should affect all the attacks you make that round, as well as any attacks of opportunity you make before the beginning of your next turn.

Jastermereel
2009-12-03, 01:12 PM
Q 401

Are there items that allow a rogue to make critical hits on specific types of creatures immune to them? Specifically plants? I think there are feats for some types but an item would be better if it exists.

Also, bump for 386 and 389.

Duke of URL
2009-12-03, 01:16 PM
A. 389

In the most general sense, the answer is:

Saving Throws Against Magic Item Powers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#savingThrowsAgainstMagicItemPo wers)

Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Staffs are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DC.

Most item descriptions give saving throw DCs for various effects, particularly when the effect has no exact spell equivalent (making its level otherwise difficult to determine quickly).

Douglas
2009-12-03, 01:32 PM
A386

Yes, that works. Note that both abilities are capped by your BAB, though.

A401

There are weapon augment crystals in the Magic Item Compendium that do that for undead and construct types, but I am not aware of any similar item for plants.

Tanaric
2009-12-03, 01:38 PM
A401 cont.

The Deathstrike Bracers from MIC allow you to make sneak attacks/critical hits against most things immune to them, including plants, for one round. They function 3/day.

Jastermereel
2009-12-03, 01:40 PM
Thanks! That's a great help!

Chrono22
2009-12-03, 07:21 PM
Q 402

3.5 question here.

Glyph Seals (from the Magic Item Compendium, page 161) allow a character to "convert any arcane or divine spell of up to 2nd level into a symbol similar to a Glyph of Warding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glyphofwarding.htm)".

My question is, how is "similar" defined in the context of magic items? Often, a magic item's actual function is very different from what it is based on. Such as, rings of spell storing (based on a divine spell, works on any magic).
Is the glyph created by a glyph seal limited to "harmful" spells in the same fashion as Glyph of Warding? It specifies that it works on any divine or arcane spell, but that it is also similar to the original.

Q 403 If it does work on spells that are benign, how would it work on things like illusions? Does the caster spend time concentrating to extend the duration as he casts it? Does he imagine the illusion in advance, which then comes into being on activation of the symbol? Or are they limited to 1 round durations?

SpikeFightwicky
2009-12-04, 11:06 AM
(Thanks for answering my previous questions, BTW!)

Q404

3.5 => If I'm advancing a monster with non-associated class levels, how do I adjust the CR fraction if the monster has odd numbered hit dice?

For example: A dark naga is a 'caster' type monster with 9 hit dice. Barbarian levels are thus non-associated, so the CR advancement is 0.5 CR per 2 levels until it has 9 levels of barbarian. I want to add 11 levels of Barbarian. 9 of those levels get the non-associated progression of .5 CR per level, and the 10th and 11th levels give +1 CR each. So now, the Naga's CR is now 14.5 (8 CR base + 4.5 for 9 levels at +.5 CR per level + 2 for 2 levels are +1 CR per level).

Fraction rules say I round down to CR 14, but that feels wrong (giving the monster 'free' extra levels and hit dice). Let me know if this scenario needs any other explaining.

josh13905
2009-12-04, 03:47 PM
Q.405, 3.5

Somewhere is there a initiative variant that spreads out the actions of the characters? For Example if you full attacked your first attack was on your initiative and your second on your Initiative-X and third even later etc?

Basically distorting turns, and splitting them up into pieces?

Egiam
2009-12-04, 09:02 PM
Q. 406

Does a spellcaster gain bonus spells per day from a magic item boosting abilities?

Example:
A Cleric wears a periapt of wisdom, does he/she get bonus spells per day?

Starbuck_II
2009-12-04, 09:14 PM
Q. 406

Does a spellcaster gain bonus spells per day from a magic item boosting abilities?

Example:
A Cleric wears a periapt of wisdom, does he/she get bonus spells per day?

Yes, but before you ask no bonus skill points from magic item.
Spells/day only cares what Wisdom score is: not whether it is base or total.

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-04, 11:20 PM
Q407:
Is there a way to get the Devoted Spirit martial school as a warblade or swordsage?

IthilanorStPete
2009-12-04, 11:23 PM
A407:

No. However, you can take maneuvers from it via the Martial Study and Martial Stance feats.

Shademan
2009-12-05, 07:45 AM
Q408

Where can I find (if any) rules on called shots?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-05, 09:10 AM
A 408

There are no official rules for called shots in D&D.

Baelathil
2009-12-05, 04:42 PM
A. 408

Q408

Where can I find (if any) rules on called shots?

A simple Google (http://www.google.no/search?client=opera&rls=en-GB&q=called+shot&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) for "called shot" gets this (http://www.mjyoung.net/dungeon/callshot.html). I make no representations as to its orthodoxy !

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-05, 07:15 PM
A simple Google (http://www.google.no/search?client=opera&rls=en-GB&q=called+shot&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) for "called shot" gets this (http://www.mjyoung.net/dungeon/callshot.html). I make no representations as to its orthodoxy !

Those rules are clearly for an older version of D&D and thus not applicable to this thread.

Temotei
2009-12-06, 02:21 AM
Q409: Are you allowed to make a trip attempt while holding a weapon that isn't meant to make trip attacks?

I know I asked this before, but the answer still isn't crystal clear, to use a well-known cliché.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-06, 07:37 AM
A 409

Yes, but it must be a standard unarmed trip attempt. The unarmed attack required normally provokes an attack of opportunity. Improved Trip feat, Improved Unarmed Strike, or Monk levels will keep your unarmed trip attempts from provoking AoOs. Only tripping weapons can be used to trip.

NelKor
2009-12-06, 12:44 PM
Q 410

When you advance a Artificers homunculus' Hit dice do you increase its bab, feats and skill points as if advancing a construct monster?

Stegyre
2009-12-06, 04:50 PM
Q 410

When you advance a Artificers homunculus' Hit dice do you increase its bab, feats and skill points as if advancing a construct monster?
Yes. BAB, feats, skill points, and saves all key off of hit dice, however they are acquired.

Baelathil
2009-12-06, 07:17 PM
I am confused by the description or the Balance skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/balance.htm).

You can walk on a precarious surface. A successful check lets you move at half your speed along the surface for 1 round. A failure by 4 or less means you can’t move for 1 round. A failure by 5 or more means you fall.
appears to apply to both narrow surfaces and difficult ones (even when not narrow, i.e. > 1 ft wide), but superscript 2's note, in the accompanying table, relating to difficult surfaces,

Only if running or charging. Failure by 4 or less means the character can’t run or charge, but may otherwise act normally.
appears to allow for moving at full speed (but no faster) over difficult surfaces without any check, unless "act normally" is to be construed as "act normally (except for halving speed)".

Q. 411a

In a room (i.e. not on a narrow surface) whose floor is rough-hewn (or uneven flagstones, or sloped or angled), can one move at full speed without making a Balance check ?

Q. 411b

What if several apply - i.e. a hewn stone floor that's sloped ? (or angled - what exactly does that mean aside from sloped ?) Or if a narrow structure I'm walking on has a difficult surface ? (e.g. a rough-hewn (or natural (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_arch#Gallery)) stone arch spanning a chasm, not necessarily horizontally.) Are the "difficult surface" DCs really modifiers ? (Aside from when checking for run/charge over a non-narrow surface.) The rule-book emphatically doesn't say so, but would make more sense if it did !

Q. 411c

What about simply standing ? RAW seems to say no check unless moving or when hit; or does one need to make a balance check for each round spent standing ? Can one attack from a precarious position, e.g. while standing on a beam ?

jokey665
2009-12-06, 08:37 PM
A411a
Depends on if it's actually considered difficult terrain or not. If it is, then the answer is no. If it's considered difficult terrain, you may move at half speed. No balance check is required, and you cannot attempt a balance check to move at full speed. See link below for relevant text.

A411b
From the rules on Hampered Movement: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#hamperedMovement)
If more than one condition applies, multiply together all additional costs that apply. (This is a specific exception to the normal rule for doubling) So if you're on a surface that's only a few inches wide and is of some terrain type that qualifies it to hamper movement, you would move at one-quarter speed on a successful balance check, and the DC would be higher as per the table in the Balance skill description. If you accept a -5 penalty and succeed, then you move at one-half speed.

A411c
By RAW, you need make no check for standing, or attacking, or anything else that isn't moving or being hit.

BizzaroStormy
2009-12-06, 09:50 PM
Q412

If an outsider under the effect of Dimensional Anchor dies, does it still go back to its home plane?

Temotei
2009-12-07, 12:22 AM
Q413: Does a petitioner (lawful evil soul sent to Baator) "die" if beaten long and hard enough?

Thurbane
2009-12-07, 12:28 AM
Q 394

Is there any way to get Invocations other than being a Warlock or Dragonfire Adept?
Repost for a new page...

Duke of URL
2009-12-07, 07:52 AM
A 394

No. Invocations are only granted by those two base classes, and prestige classes designed for invokers only advance existing invocation ability.

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-07, 08:00 AM
possible A 413

That depends on what you mean by being "beaten".

Generally, petitioners are the souls of mortals that have become fairly weak 1 or 2 HD outsiders (Ex: lantern archon) which can indeed be killed as normal.

Zom B
2009-12-07, 08:17 AM
Q414

Part 1: Do I, the spellcaster, decide in what order metamagic feats are applied to a spell?

For instance, my Wizard/Incantrix has Energy Admixture (Acid) and Maximize Spell. Ignoring the fact that together they are a +7 to the spell level, if both are applied to a spell when I prepare it to make, say, an Acid-Admixed Maximized Orb of Cold, do I have a spell that, at 12th level, deals:

A) 12d6 Acid and 72 Cold damage (only the original cold damage portion of the spell is maximized)
or
B) 72 Acid and 72 Cold damage (both the new added damage from Energy Admixture and the original cold damage are maximized)

Part 2: Does anything change if I apply, say, Energy Admixture on the fly with an ability like Instant Metamagic? As in, I prepare the spell as Maximized, so does later applying a new metamagic feat to the spell mean the new addition has to come second in application?

Douglas
2009-12-07, 10:00 AM
A414

Unless otherwise specified, all metamagic feats affect the entire spell, including everything granted by other metamagic feats. However you manage to do it, whether through metamagic rods, Instant Metamagic (which can't exceed what you could do without it, btw, thank errata for that), cost reducers, or Improved Spell Capacity, a Maximized Energy Admixed (Acid) Orb of Cold at caster level 12 would do 72 acid damage and 72 cold damage.

The only exception I know of is for combining Maximize and Empower, and that is explicitly spelled out in at least one of the feat descriptions.

Tavar
2009-12-07, 11:34 AM
Q415

What happens if you're in Obscuring mist and use a melee attack against an adjacent target that is not in the mist? Do they still have concealment?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-07, 06:31 PM
A 415 Usually.

Concealment

To determine whether your target has concealment from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that provides concealment, the target has concealment. So if you're in concealment but the adjacent square is not, you could pick one of the two corners that are adjoining that square, and most of the lines to the other corners of that square will not pass through concealment. However, the line connecting the two grid corners shared both by your square and the adjacent square pick up concealment because the border of your square also provides concealment. A diagonally adjacent square, however, would not pick up concealment starting from the connecting point unless either of the two squares either side of the diagonal also had concealment.

BizzaroStormy
2009-12-07, 08:04 PM
Q416

Can a character take epic feats if they fufill the prerequisite, regardless of their level?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-07, 08:29 PM
A 416 No.

At 21st level, and every three levels thereafter, the character may select an epic feat in place of a nonepic feat. Barring explicit exceptions, you need to be at least level 21.

Tyrael
2009-12-07, 09:01 PM
Q 417

Does Monkey Grip allow a Medium-sized character to wield a Medium-sized Greataxe with one hand?

Random832
2009-12-07, 09:04 PM
A 417 Clarification:

ECL 21. (Explicitly mentioned on page 25 of the Epic Level Handbook)

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-08, 12:40 AM
Q 418:
can you initiate a maneuver in rage?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-08, 12:44 AM
A 417 No.

Monkey Grip will let you wield a Large size battleaxe in one hand. That's approximately the same size as a Medium size greataxe, but they're distinctly different weapons according to the 3.5 rules.

tyckspoon
2009-12-08, 01:24 AM
A 418
Mostly yes. You can use the maneuver as long as it satisfies both the requirements for a maneuver (primarily that you must be able to move) and the restrictions of Rage- no Dex, Int, or Cha based skills, no use of the Concentration skill, and nothing that requires "patience or concentration." That last bit requires GM interpretation, but as a practical matter you won't be able to use the Concentration-based Diamond Mind maneuvers while raging. Almost everything else should be open, pending your GM deciding exactly what he wants "requires concentration" to mean.

Rasman
2009-12-08, 01:37 AM
Q 419

Are there any "Monk" weapons besides Kama, Nunchaku, Sai, Siangham, Shuriken, and Quarterstaff?

I'm especially curious about anything with reach or that can help me grapple or pin someone more easily.

OR

Are there ways to make weapons like this Monk Weapons?

Temotei
2009-12-08, 02:17 AM
A 419

The lajatang from Complete Warrior is another weapon for the monk. I don't think the class automatically grants proficiency, though.

The mancatcher, also from Complete Warrior, is a weapon specifically made for grappling.

Two-ball bolas also can be used for grappling. I'm not sure if there's a 3.5 conversion of it, though. It's from Sword and Fist.

The three-section staff, also from Sword and Fist, is another monk weapon. It requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

The butterfly sword, from Oriental Adventures.

The jitte from Oriental Adventures.

The lajatang and korobokuru lajatang are more monk weapons. Oriental Adventures.

The sodegarami is a grappling weapon from Oriental Adventures.

Tonfa, from Oriental Adventures.

That's all I can think of and find right now.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-08, 03:17 AM
A 419 additional

The rules contain some limited support for broadening the range of special Monk weapons, mostly in feats in Eberron Campaign Setting. Serpent Strike allows using the longspear as a special Monk weapon. Whirling Steel Strike does the same for the lonsword, and Double Steel Strike for the two-bladed sword. Secrets of Sarlona has the Pole Master feat, which allows use of particular hafted reach weapons. That book also introduces some new weapons; Monks who gain proficiency in their use can use them as special Monk weapons.

Rasman
2009-12-08, 05:36 AM
Q 420

Does Improved Natural Attacks stack with Enlarge Person?

If so, is there a table for unarmed damage for a Huge Monk and bigger?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-08, 02:00 PM
A 420 Yes.

Look at Table 2–2: Increasing Weapon Damage by Size (page 28 of your Dungeon Master's Guide).

Agent_0042
2009-12-08, 07:52 PM
Q 421
Can power attack be applied to a standard action martial strike? What about a channeled spell, as in the Duskblade ability?

Temotei
2009-12-08, 08:19 PM
A 421

Benefit
On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.

I'm pretty sure it can be applied to an attack with a weapon that a channeled spell has been used on, because it is a melee attack. I'm blanking on martial strike right now...

Agent_0042
2009-12-08, 08:24 PM
Q 421 Clarification
By "what about a channeled spell", I meant if you could channel a spell into a martial strike.

Studoku
2009-12-08, 08:34 PM
Q222
If I increase my intelligence when I gain a level and it increases my modifier, do I gain the extra skill point for that level?

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-08, 08:37 PM
Q222
If I increase my intelligence when I gain a level and it increases my modifier, do I gain the extra skill point for that level?

A 422 Yes.

jokey665
2009-12-08, 08:38 PM
A422

Yes. See page 58 of the Player's Handbook for the order of operations when leveling.

Zom B
2009-12-09, 12:46 PM
Two questions regarding some cheese I found out my DM is planning to pull with some of his bosses:

Q423: If a Cleric uses DMM to make a Sanctuary an Irresistible Spell, as long as they don't make aggressive actions do they basically have complete immunity to all directed attacks? I don't really want to have to AoE the boss down.

Q424: The boss is wearing two Rings of Shield Other. Two lackeys of theirs are wearing the matching rings, and they in turn have two lackeys each that are wearing another ring keyed to one on their other hand and one on a Hand of Glory. My DM is figuring that the boss will take 0% damage from attacks (50% handed to one lackey and 50% to another), the lackeys one tier down will each take 16% of the damage (they take 1/3rd of the 50% each, passing 2/3rds of the 50%, or 33% to each of their lackeys), and their lackeys each take half of that 33%, or 16% of the damage. In essence, he is expecting us to defeat the hit points of 7 people. Does this even sound remotely right?

Curmudgeon
2009-12-09, 02:22 PM
A 424 No.

(I'm assuming you're actually referring to Friend Shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#friendShield) rings, which cast Shield Other (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shieldOther.htm) on command.)

The spell doesn't stack in a linear fashion; i.e., with each spell operating in parallel on the original incoming damage, because there's no metaknowledge included in the spell description. There are only two possible valid options:

The spells don't stack at all. Only one (the most recent) casting works.
They stack, exactly as described. The first casting shunts off 50% of the incoming damage, leaving 50%. The second casting shunts off 50% of the damage that comes its way (the remaining 50% of the original incoming damage), leaving 25% of the original.
The fact that two options exist is because the stacking rules don't explicitly cover the case of a spell that affects two targets together. Is this a case of Same Effect with Differing Results, wherein a second casting replaces the first? If so, it's option 1. If not, option 2.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-09, 05:09 PM
Q425

Is there a way for a Human to get the Dragonblood subtype other than using the Draconic Heritage Feat, or the Dragonborn of Bahamut Template?

Mavian
2009-12-09, 05:19 PM
A425

Silverbrow Human (dragon magic pg. 6) are Humans with the Dragonblood subtype, although you do give up the bonus skill points.

Faleldir
2009-12-09, 06:35 PM
Q 426
Does a cardboard box grant enough cover to make a Hide check?

powerdemon
2009-12-09, 06:37 PM
Q 426

Depends on the size of the box :smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2009-12-09, 06:49 PM
Q 419

Are there ways to make weapons like this Monk Weapons?

A 419 continued:
Ki Focus weapon ability in the DMG lets you do the monk’s stunning attack, ki strike, and quivering palm, as well as the Stunning Fist feat.

But as for flurrying? Ebberon has feats for longsword, etc.

Faleldir
2009-12-09, 06:52 PM
Depends on the size of the box :smallbiggrin:
Can someone give me a useful answer? I wasn't kidding.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-09, 06:52 PM
Q 426

A426
If it blocks line of site the yes it should, as long a it is big enough to conceal your entire mass (so if you're a Half-Giant then not so much etc.)

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-09, 07:14 PM
Q 427
Does a half-fiend have the Evil subtype?