PDA

View Full Version : Soviet Death Machine

nanobot_swarm
2009-09-01, 04:05 PM
As my first attempt at creating a monster, I'm sure I've miscalculated something, so please offer some feedback on how to improve it
Soviet Death Machine
Huge Construct
HD 20 d10+40 (150)
Speed 10ft. (2 squares)
Init: -2
AC 35; touch 9; flat-footed 34
BAB +15
Attack Slam +18
(1d10+8)
Full-Attack 2 Slam +18 (1d10+8)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Trample, Knockback, Skull Crush
Special Qualities Constuct Traits, Immunity to magic, Darkvision, Low Light Vision, Weakness to Acid
Saves Fort +6.6 Ref +7.6 Will +6.6
Abilities Str 40, Dex 10, Con 0, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 0
Skills-
Feats -
Environment Any
Organization Solitary or Gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating 12
Treasure None
Alignment Always Neutral
Advancement None
Level Adjustment-
Description:
This machine has a main body that is semi egg shaped, mounted on four crab-like legs, two humanoid arms that end in wrecking balls, and a bucket shaped head with three cameras for eyes. It has the Soviet flag painted on the front and back.
Late in the life of the USSR, a small branch of the military began to experiment in developing robotic weapons. Many prototypes were built and tested in remote parts of Siberia, and were planned to be utilised as the destructors of enemy fortifications and buildings, and were given a limited intelligence to allow them to distinguish between friend and foe. However the funding was cut, and the machines left to collect dust in the lab they were built in. But after a plane-shift spell go awry, the machines were scattered all over the multiverse.
Some are now in the service of powerful wizards/warlords, some have developed programing errors, and now classify all life as foe, and others remain inactive. Soviet Death Machines do not really speak, though pre-recorded phrases are sometimes shouted (like," Death to Capitalist Pigs!" and,"All who oppose the Motherland shall die!"), they can understand commands in common. Each one weighs 1 ton.

Combat:
Upon engaging in combat, the SDM will start playing the Soviet National Anthem as sung by the Red Army Choir. Its basic attack is a right or left hook to the nearest opponent.
Knockback: Every time the SDM lands a direct hit, the target is knocked 5 feet back by the force of the blow if medium sized, 10 feet if smaller. Large creatures are unaffected by this.
Skull Crush: Ocasionally, the SDM will raise one arm, and bring it down like a hammer. The victim must make a reflex save or die.
Trample: If a SDM moves on the same space as another creature, it must make a Reflex save or be crushed to death (if smaller than a Large creature)
Construct Traits
Immunity to magic
Weakness to acid: Because the creature is made of metal, it takes twice as much damage from acid based attacks

Boci
2009-09-01, 04:21 PM
Okay, firstly, I'll address its special abilities.

Combat:
Upon engaging in combat, the SDM will start playing the Soviet National Anthem as sung by the Red Army Choir. Its basic attack is a right or left hook to the nearest opponent.
Knockback: Every time the SDM lands a direct hit, the target is knocked 5 feet back by the force of the blow if medium sized, 10 feet if smaller. Large creatures are unaffected by this.

Whilst it is annoying for PCs to be knocked back with nochance of avioding it, its not unaccetable at CR 12. however, you might want to make it an opposed roll.

Skull Crush: Ocasionally, the SDM will raise one arm, and bring it down like a hammer. The victim must make a reflex save or die.

Wait. Stop. Too vague, and way to powerful. Firstly, what do you mean by ocasionally? Once every 5 rounds? Whenever the DM feels like it. That needs to be quantified. Secondly, there is a reason no reflex saves end in death. At the very minimum, make it a fortitude save. ALso, I'd say make it 2 or 4 constitution damage instead. Finally, its nice to include the reflex save's DC. This is usually 10 + half the creatures hit die + the relevent ability modifier + any other changes, such as a racial bonus or the ability focus feat. So that 10 + 10 + if we base this off strengths + 15. This ability needs the most change.

Trample: If a SDM moves on the same space as another creature, it must make a Reflex save or be crushed to death (if smaller than a Large creature)[/QUOTE]

Take damage as if hit by a slam, not crushed to death.

Construct Traits
Immunity to magic
Weakness to acid: Because the creature is made of metal, it takes twice as much damage from acid based attacks

Firstly, this is a bit confusing. its immune to magic, but takes double damage from acid. Is that natural acid only, or magical acid as well? Also, be aware that magic immunity only affects spells that need to pass Spell Resistence.

Overall, this monster is vastly overpowered. Even if you clean up the reflex save or die abilities. You need to decide whether you want to keep it at this amount of hitdie and raise its CR, or lower its hit die to allow it to keep its CR of 12.

Kiren
2009-09-01, 08:25 PM
In soviet Russia Machines, crush you! Awesome the concept, but I am not good with balancing anything.

Calmar
2009-09-02, 03:54 AM
The SDM should inspire courage in all comrades who hear it sing. :smallwink:

Rainbownaga
2009-09-02, 04:01 AM
Secondly, there is a reason no reflex saves end in death.

Would you mind sharing this with the rest of us?

Boci
2009-09-02, 04:48 AM
Now a slightly more detailed approach.

As my first attempt at creating a monster, I'm sure I've miscalculated something, so please offer some feedback on how to improve it
Soviet Death Machine
Huge Construct
HD 20 d10+40 (150)

This is fine.

Speed 10ft. (2 squares)

Why so low? This means it can just be taken out by anyone with patience and a ranged weapon. Usually contructs have a decent speed such as 30ft or 40ft, but cannot run.

Init: -2

Why -2? Initiative is equal to your dexterity modifier, so with a dex of 10 that should be +0.

AC 35; touch 9; flat-footed 34

Its helpful to list exactly what the AC composes of, this can also help you check your own work. Assuming the SDM has no deflection bonus to AC, that leaves a base of 10, -2 size for being large and +27 natural. With a dexterity modifier of = they have nothing to loose with their flat footed AC, so it should be the same as their regular AC. And with -2 for size, touch AC should be 8.

BAB +15

You usually list the grapple bonus after that. Grapple is BAB + strength modifier + size modifier, so thats 15 + 15 + 8 for a total of +38.

Attack Slam +18
(1d10+8)

I think the damage die is too low, and the extra damage is definatly so. They gain a +15 to damage from their strength modifier. Same case with the to hit. BAB + Strength modifier + size modifier so thats 15 + 15 - 2 for a total of +28.

Full-Attack 2 Slam +18 (1d10+8)

With a BAB of +15, he should get 3 attacks on a full attack.

Space 15 ft.; Reach 10 ft.

This is fine.

Special Attacks Trample, Knockback, Skull Crush
Special Qualities Constuct Traits, Immunity to magic, Darkvision, Low Light Vision, Weakness to Acid

This is fine.

You may want to erase the decimals (rounding down) to avoid confusion. Also, for a creature with a good save and no state modfiier its 2 + half their hitdie so +12 and a third of their hitdie for a bad save, so thats +6.

Abilities Str 40, Dex 10, Con 0, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 0

Nitpick: They have a con -, not 0.

Skills-
Feats -
Environment Any
Organization Solitary or Gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating 12
Treasure None
Alignment Always Neutral
Advancement None

This is fine.

Level Adjustment-

Wait what? You mean I can't play a Soviet Death Machine?!

Would you mind sharing this with the rest of us?

Well for starters reflex save or die implies that if it touches you, you die. With I find kinda wierd.

Debihuman
2009-09-02, 06:53 AM
First what edition is this for? 3.5 or Pathfinder? I'm assuming 3.5, but you should clarify this.

Second, 2 slams is correct. Creatures don't get iterative attacks for natural weapons only for manufactured weapons.

Con 0 is dead. Con — means that the creature has no Con score i.e. it was never living to begin with. Constructs don't have a Con score and should have Con —. [It was mentioned previously but not explained]. "Anything with no Charisma score is an object, not a creature." You should change it to Cha 1.

If you make this an intelligent construct, it gains feats and skills. Only mindless constructs should have no feats or skills. With an Int of 2, you should give it feats and skills or change Int to —.

Saves are Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +6.

Constructs have no good saves. At 20 HD, the Base Save for a Construct is +6, and then you add ability modifiers (if Any). Since this creature has no Con bonus: Fort is +6. I'm not sure where you got the .6 from. With a Dex of 10, it gets no bonus to Reflex save. Reflex save should be +6 as well. Will save is also +6, because it has no bonus from Wisdom.

Debby

Jane_Smith
2009-09-02, 08:17 AM
Jane's Gate Guardian (G.G.)
Large Construct
Hit Dice: 12d10+30 (95 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
Initiative: +0
Armor class: 32 (+23 Natural, -1 Size); touch 9; flat-footed 32
Base Attack Bonus (Grapple): +9 (+23)
Attacks: Slam +18 melee (2d10+10 damage, 20/x2 critical) or 2x Repeating Crossbows +11 ranged (4d8+2 damage, 19-20/x2 critical, 120 feet)
Full-Attack: 2x Slam +18 melee (2d10+10 damage, 20/x2 critical) and/or 2x Repeating Crossbows +11/+11/+11 ranged (4d8+2 damage, 19-20/x2 critical, 120 feet)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Dual Action, Lock On, Rapid Fire, Self Destruct
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 15/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to magic, low-light vision
Saves: +4 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will.
Abilities Str 30, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: None
Feats: None
Environment: Any
Organization Solitary, Pair or Gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: None

Description:
This golems body is expertly crafted, perfectly balanced, well maintained and made of solid steel. The body frame is smooth, with its hands ending in 3 blunted digits that can easily fold to make its fists into massive battering weapons. Its legs are bent backwords to allow it to support the heavy crossbows mounted on its torso. The golem has no apparent head, only a pair of heavily reinforced and mounted repeating crossbow torrents.

Each crossbow is fed massive, two foot long bolts from a large box built into the back of the golem. A golem can carry roughly 600 such bolts at any time and is at no risk of running out quickly. Each crossbow can fire two bolts at a time, for a total of 4 bolts a second. The bolts are usually specifically crafted for armor peircing, to boot.

As of now, the only ones in known exsistance are roughly twenty that have been created and maintained by one Jane Blackstaff, a self-exiled archmagus and forgotten daughter of one of the most powerful (and insane) spellweavers in history. She guards the secret of their creation passionately, and most who come seeking how to create such powerful guardians usually end up victum to them.

Combat
Upon engaging in combat, the G.G. will immediately Lock On to the largest apparent threat, seeking to eliminate it first as instructed and move on the smaller targets.

If enemys get into melee range, it will not shy away. Usually it attempts to push enemys back to the end of its reach range and unleash a volley of bolts in them while their down.

Dual Action (Ex): The G.G. can attack with both Repeating Crossbow attacks in a single attack actions without penalty.

Lock On (Ex): As a swift action, the G.G. can focus all its attention on a single target and scan its movements and patterns. When using its range attacks against this target, it gains a +10 insight bonus on all attacks for 1 round.

Rapid Fire (Ex): When making a full attack with its Repeating Crossbows, the G.G. may make up to two additional attacks at its full attack bonus.

Self Destruct (Ex): To fully protect the secrets to creating her 'children', Jane creates a very complex and well hidden explosive substance within the body of all G.G.'s that only go off when the construct is brought to 0 or less hit points. When such an event occurs, the alchemical mixture exploads, instantly destroying the remains of the construct and sending flame and shrapnel to everything within 30 feet, doing 4d6 fire damage and 4d6 slashing damage. Everything beyond 30 feet and within 60 feet takes 1d6 slashing damage. This damage is nonmagical and can be halved with a successful Reflex saving throw (DC 16).

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A G.G. is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows a G.G. (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw.

A magical attack that deals fire damage breaks any slow effect on the G.G. and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, a G.G. hit by a fireball gains back 6 hit points if the damage total is 18 points. A G.G. gets no saving throw against fire effects.

An G.G. is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell.

Weapon and Armor Profiency: G.G.'s are profiency with Heavy and Light Repeating Crossbows. The weapons mounted on them are effectively +2 Large Heavy Repeating Crossbows with Armor Piercing Bolts*.

Armor Piercing Quality*

This weapon upgrade can be applied to any piercing melee weapon or up to 50 ammunition. Doing so increases the base cost of the objects by 50%. When making an attack with a Armor Piercing weapon against a target with an armor bonus or natural armor bonus to their armor class, your attack ignores up to 2 points of those types of armor bonuses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just something to give you an example with.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-02, 10:12 AM
Sorry to not help with feedback, but I figured I'd warn you: Discussing things which are "Soviet" or related to the "USSR" could easily fall into real-world politics, so I'd either change the name or just be careful. :smallsmile:

Calmar
2009-09-02, 12:35 PM
To me the SDM seems rather steampunk or Red Alert style than real world-related...

Zeta Kai
2009-09-02, 01:31 PM
In Soviet Russia, joke tells you! :smallsigh:

Cool monster, NS. Very novel.

Another_Poet
2009-09-02, 01:37 PM
Okay, I'm derailing this thread. Seriously, where the heck does that internet joke come from? "In Soviet Russia, noun verbs you!!" I see it everywhere and find it hilarious but do not know what originally inspired it.

Please help. :smallfrown:

Debihuman
2009-09-02, 02:12 PM
It came from comic Yakov Smirnoff, who was popular in the 1980's. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakov_Smirnoff.

I don't think the SDM has much to do with real world politics, at least not current politics. This is is perfect for an alternate history game.

In light of the comments the SDM received, I made a few corrections and editions. Its attack does more damage now. Its special attacks all have a DC rating and I changed "save or die" to a "save or take half damage". Changed weakness to vulnerability. A weakness would be to something other than an energy type like a vampire's weakness to garlic. I also made other changes as can seen here:

Soviet Death Machine
Huge Construct
Hit Dice: 20d10+40 (150)
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares)
Initiative: +0
Armor Class: 35 (-2 Size, + 27 Natural); Touch 8; Flat-footed 35
BAB/Grapple: +15/+38
Attack: Slam +28 melee (2d8+15)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +28 melee (2d8+15)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Knock Back, Skull Crush, Trample
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to magic, low light vision, vulnerability to acid
Saves: Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +6
Abilities: Str 40, Dex 10, Con —, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: —
Feats: —
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or Gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: —

A Soviet Death Machine (SDM) has an egg-shaped body mounted on four crab-like legs, with two humanoid arms that end in wrecking balls and a bucket-shaped head with three cameras for eyes. It has the Soviet flag painted on the front and back.

Late in the life of the USSR, a small branch of the military began to experiment with developing robotic weapons. Many prototypes were built and tested in remote parts of Siberia, and were planned to be utilized as the destructors of enemy fortifications and buildings. The prototypes were given a limited intelligence to allow them to distinguish between friend and foe. However, the funding was cut and the machines were left to collect dust in the lab where they were built. After a plane shift spell went awry, the machines were scattered all over the multiverse.

Some machines are now in the service of powerful wizards and warlords; some have developed programming errors, and now classify all life as foes; and others remain inactive. Soviet Death Machines do not speak although pre-recorded phrases are sometimes shouted. Favorite phrases are: “Death to Capitalist Pigs!" and, "All who oppose the Motherland shall die!" They can understand commands in Common. Each one weighs 1 ton.

Combat

Knock Back (Ex): Every time the SDM lands a direct hit, the target is knocked 5 feet back by the force of the blow if Medium sized, 10 feet if smaller. Large creatures are unaffected by this.

Skull Crush (Ex): Once every four rounds, the SDM will raise one arm, and bring it down like a hammer. The victim must make a Reflex save (DC 35) or take 2d8+15 points of bludgeoning damage. If the save is successful, the victim only takes half damage. The save is strength-based.

Trample (Ex): If a SDM moves on the same space as another creature of Medium size or smaller, the other creature must make a Fortitude save (DC 35) or take 4d8+15 points of damage. If the creature successfully saves, it takes half damage. The save is strength-based.

Vulnerability to Acid (Ex): Due to its metallic body, the SDM takes twice as much damage from acid based attacks.

Debby

drakir_nosslin
2009-09-02, 02:16 PM
Okay, I'm derailing this thread. Seriously, where the heck does that internet joke come from? "In Soviet Russia, noun verbs you!!" I see it everywhere and find it hilarious but do not know what originally inspired it.

Please help. :smallfrown:

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_soviet_russia#Russian_reversal) is your friend.

*End of thread derailing*

EDIT: Ninja'd

nanobot_swarm
2009-09-02, 04:27 PM
I was going to make the changes tonight, but thanks Debihuman.
And I was using 3.5 Edition for it, just to clarify.
@drakir:
The reason I originally made it an instant death, is that if a giant robot brought a steel wrecking-ball fist down upon one's head, their skull would probably cave in (or worse), hence the name Skull Crush.

Boci
2009-09-02, 04:33 PM
I was going to make the changes tonight, but thanks Debihuman.
And I was using 3.5 Edition for it, just to clarify.
@drakir:
The reason I originally made it an instant death, is that if a giant robot brought a steel wrecking-ball fist down upon one's head, their skull would probably cave in (or worse), hence the name Skull Crush.

I still think its a bit overpowered. 20 hit die can okay for a CR: 12 monster, but not ontop of what the SDM already gets.

Debihuman
2009-09-02, 04:55 PM
I'm not at all good at figuring out an appropriate challenge rating. While the wrecking ball may cause significant amounts of damage, I don't see it causing massive damage. See below:

Massive Damage
If you ever sustain a single attack deals 50 points of damage or more and it doesn’t kill you outright, you must make a DC 15 Fortitude save. If this saving throw fails, you die regardless of your current hit points. If you take 50 points of damage or more from multiple attacks, no one of which dealt 50 or more points of damage itself, the massive damage rule does not apply.

Debby

nanobot_swarm
2009-09-06, 04:37 PM
Would it work if the Challange Rating was 15 or 16?

Boci
2009-09-07, 04:42 AM
Would it work if the Challange Rating was 15 or 16?

15 sounds about right.

P.S. Debihuman, your skull crush dazes on a successful save, which is a bit wierd since a lot of characters would prefer to just take full damage.

Debihuman
2009-09-07, 10:06 PM
The dazing effect should be deleted. It was leftover from my tweaking with this thing. Straight damage it is.

Debby