PDA

View Full Version : Webcomic Idea - Tell me if this sucks

Tira-chan
2009-09-01, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure if this should go in the subforum, but that seems to be all comics, so it's going here. Move it if you want to.

Okay, so I have an idea for a webcomic, and I decided to actually follow through with it, since that's just the sort of person I am. The premise is fairly simplistic, and it's similar to Oots - DnD characters on an adventure, making jokes about the rules and so forth. The plot is still under development, but the beginning at least will be heavy on character interaction, with the rise of PLOT! when an encounter as part of a cliched quest quickly becomes level-inappropriate and much, much more complex.

To make up for the fairly under-developed plot summary, I do have sketches of the main characters. Spoilered for size.
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/Tirajm/webcomicidea.jpg

From left to right, top to bottom we have:

Spavestes "Spav," Eladrin Wizard, whose player has shamelessly robbed a certain iconic science fiction series. Is the main source of common sense on the team, and has a tendency to play the straight man.
Thom the Bold, Human Paladin of Kord. Your classic adventurer type - chaotic, found of battle, not too bright to not touch stuff, but a good guy in the end.
V'aardin, Drow Sorcerer. A funny, flirtatious type of guy who uses good humor to cover up some of his secrets, which do not all relate to his former life underground. Intended to be a sort of anti-Drizz't-clone drow.
Marith, Gnome Bard, whose facing the cut, since Vaardin stole his personality. His main role so far has been as a romantic interest for...
Amie Riverden, Halfling Rogue. Is sort of the anti-stereotype of the typical Halfling Rogue - she's quiet, stealthy, and very serious. However, she does have a tendency to be curious about things, and almost the only one who will play along with plot hooks.
Isa, Deva Shaman. She's a very cheerful person, almost eerily so. She is also a fierce defender of nature. Can be a little out of touch with human culture.

So far, the main villains have only names and basic build ideas. Hopefully, these will give you an idea of their personality.

Varl the Wanderer, Human Warlord
Joey the Intern, Half-elf Warlock
Xandira the Really, Really Evil, Elf Druid
Sir Dwork the Drunk, Dwarf Paladin

EDIT: Oh, and they're running on 4E, since that's what I play. Make of that what you will.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-09-01, 08:25 PM
[LIST]
Spavestes "Spav," Eladrin Wizard, whose player has shamelessly robbed a certain iconic science fiction series. Is the main source of common sense on the team, and has a tendency to play the straight man.
Thom the Bold, Human Paladin of Kord. Your classic adventurer type - chaotic, found of battle, not too bright to not touch stuff, but a good guy in the end.
V'aardin, Drow Sorcerer. A funny, flirtatious type of guy who uses good humor to cover up some of his secrets, which do not all relate to his former life underground. Intended to be a sort of anti-Drizz't-clone drow.
Marith, Gnome Bard, whose facing the cut, since Vaardin stole his personality. His main role so far has been as a romantic interest for...
Amie Riverden, Halfling Rogue. Is sort of the anti-stereotype of the typical Halfling Rogue - she's quiet, stealthy, and very serious. However, she does have a tendency to be curious about things, and almost the only one who will play along with plot hooks.
Isa, Deva Shaman. She's a very cheerful person, almost eerily so. She is also a fierce defender of nature. Can be a little out of touch with human culture.

FALL!

Nah, kidding.

I'd read it though.

Tira-chan
2009-09-01, 08:28 PM
I probably should have specified better - I'm basing it on 4E. (Thus, the "Eladrin" character.) I'll edit the first post to include that.

Dark Fiddler - Thanks for the recommendation!

MethosH
2009-09-01, 09:09 PM
I'm sorry to say... But you don't have a webcomic idea... you just have a bunch of characters.

Tira-chan
2009-09-01, 09:19 PM
Well, I have plot. I have a specific idea of some plot, actually; I just haven't figured out how to explain it in a paragraph yet. Plus, if it goes up here, I don't want to tell you it all in advance, do I? Currently, I'm working on a way to introduce the characters (I'm thinking a tavern...), but I do have scripts written out for some later episodes.

MethosH
2009-09-01, 09:23 PM
Do you have a setting or are you just going with basic D&D and figuring out while you go?

Tira-chan
2009-09-01, 09:50 PM
The setting will be the generic one, but probably get more detailed as we see more of it. I've never been one to follow setting particularly while playing or DMing - my tendency has always been take it and run, and my writing seems to be the same way. I want it to be the sort of thing where you can go to the first strip and immediately figure out what's going on. Basic 4e's pretty detailed, fits the story, and, best of all, is easily available in the books I have on me.

What I'd really love is some art criticism. The style is a bit of a new one, particularly around the eyes. Do the characters look like the kind of people you'd stick around to read about? What do they immediately say to you, that sort of thing. Or, alternatively, that they're dead ugly, and it's not going to be worth it? That sort of a thing.

MethosH
2009-09-01, 10:03 PM
Well.. Honestly the only character that doesn't scream "BORING!" to me is Isa.

But that is maybe cuz you just threw some random character at us without saying not anything that is actually new to us... It is pretty hard to give you any construtive feedback like this...

Anyway... I really don't like this art style, but that is pure personal..

Taking my own mind out of it.. its a good drawing. But only Isa would make me stick around without knowing more about the comic.