PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew PrC - The Weaveblade

02youeng
2009-09-01, 10:10 PM
The Weaveblade

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/02youeng/FireSorceress.jpg

With flaming sword in hand, these mystical warriors reave the battlefield, cutting down foes with lightning blows and blasts of magic, all directed from their personal, hand-forged weapons, an asset any Weaveblade could not function without. Their soul goes into making the blade, which then serves as the catalyst to fuel their powers.

Requirements:
Ability to prepare and cast 3rd level arcane spells
+6 Base Attack Bonus
Must have created a Masterwork Martial or Exotic weapon with which they are proficient, which thus serves as a Focus for all the Weaveblade's abilities.

Hit Die: d6

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|+1 level of arcane spell casting class, Spell Storing Weapon 1/day

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3|Fighter Bonus Feat

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3|+1 level of arcane spell casting class, Spell Storing Weapon 2/day

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4|Insightful/Spontaneous Strike

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+4|+1 level of arcane spell casting class, Spell Storing Weapon 3/day, Flurry of Rays[/table]

Class Skills:
The Weaveblade's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points/level: 2 + Int Modifier

Weapon Proficiencies: The Weaveblade gains no proficiencies with weapons or armour

Class Abilities:

Spellcasting
At 1st, 3rd, and 5th level, you gain new spells per day and spells known as if you had gained a level in a previous arcane casting class. You do not, however, gain any other benifits as if you'd gained a level in that class.

Spell Storing Weapon
Once a day, when you successfully strike an enemy in melee, as a free action you may cast a touch-range spell on the struck enemy [needing no roll to hit.] You must be wielding a Masterwork [or better] quality weapon, that you're profiecient with, that you created to channel a spell thusly. Every two levels you gain in Weaveblade, you may use this ability once more per day [2/day at level 3, 3/day at level 5]

Fighter Bonus Feat
At 2nd level, you may pick a feat from the Fighter Bonus Feat list for your character

Insightful/Spontaneous Strike
At 4th level, you may add your Int/Cha bonus to your attack roll

[b]Flurry of Rays
At 5th level, you may use Flurry of Rays once per day. As a full-round action, you may make a full attack, but using ray spells instead Scorching Rays, with a +11 to hit with the first, +6 with the second, and +1 to hit with the third, before all other modifiers.]

The spells need not be the same ones, and may be cast on different targets [though all targets must be in range.] You must be wielding a Masterwork [or better] quality weapon, that you're profiecient with, that you created to channel a spell thusly. The maximum level of spell that can be used is equal to half the BAB of the character, rounding down [if you have a BAB of +11, you may use 5th lvl or lower spells.]

02youeng
2009-09-01, 10:11 PM
Post finished!

I'll save this post for listing feedback, and how I've addressed it.

So...feedback please?

Person_Man
2009-09-02, 09:40 AM
I personally dislike full BAB classes that progress casting on the first level, especially classes that provide special abilities. I would progress casting on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th levels.

Also, this class seems to encroach on the niche of the Duskblade and Arcane Fist. Are you familiar with those classes?

Cieyrin
2009-09-02, 10:56 AM
Your class seems to be a conglomeration of class features you thought were cool and stuck together.

Spell Storing Weapon seems to be lifted directly from Spellsword or Duskblade, though perhaps at a more rapid pace of uses per day.

I see no specific reason to give the class Insight Strike, as that's multiple stats to attacking. It's unnecessarily overpowering and should either be a ability replacement or only used on specific attacks, like with spells only.

Flurry of Rays just comes out of nowhere. Why are Weaveblades suddenly awesome with rays? Also, it's not really all that awesome, considering in your example you make a spell worse than it is. When you normally cast Scorching Ray, you get all your rays at your full BAB, not at iteratives. They also do it as a standard action, not as a full round action. Is it that he casts multiple ray spells, based on his Iterative attack rate, which is quite a different beast, a potentially broken one at that.

Finally, what is up with the entry requirements? 3rd level casting AND BAB +6?!? You've even pidgeonholed it to Wizards, as well, since you have to prepare, not spontaneous, so why you mention spontaneous casting at all, I'll never know. So, to get in, you have to be Wizard 5, which nets you BAB +2 and then either grab another level of Wizard to fill out the BAB to 3 and 4 levels of some full BAB class or just go 5 full BAB class, so you force the character to gimp their gishness even more than necessary. I think I'd rather go Eldritch Knight, b/c I can at least get in at a decent level and not totally gimp myself doing so in both fighting ability and spellcasting.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.