PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class Help: Blending the Psion with the Engineer [3.5]

Lappy9000
2009-09-01, 10:14 PM
H'okay, so recently, one of my friends suggested the rather awesome idea of mixing together psionics with a homebrew class of mine called the engineer. However, I'm running into some problems both thematically and mechanically. I can't just give the engineer Power Points; that would take away from the engineer's strict "magic is science" schick. Instead, I'm planning to make Vocations (basically pick your own class features from the engineer) that are psionic-based instead of magically.

Here are the necessary links:
Engineer Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6332557&postcount=33)
Recondite Prestige Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6669429&postcount=66) (name pending)

What I need from you guys:
*Help with vocations; I need some psuedo-sciency or sciency themed powers that are unique to the Prestige Class.
*Help with class features; I'm really stuck here, aside from the Cerebral Turbine (gives the psionic abilities) and the Improvised Psionicist (allows the Prestige Class to make psionic items).
*Help thematically; I'm not sure how well everything fits together fluff wise.

Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.

DracoDei
2009-09-02, 01:03 AM
Direct neural interface with created objects? (especially the armor) This would give a bonus to initiative, and maybe reflex saves and/or attack-rolls... for an anime feel have it double morale effects too.

Mental C.A.D. system inside their head (at least the equal of the one in Tony Stark's basement in the movie).

Come to that, let them enter the mind of an opponent with their party to do battle al-la "The Cell" or "Lawn-Mower Man".

Hack the Weave al la "The Matrix", the digital girl in "Code Lyoko" or maybe the ".//Hack:???" series (haven't seen enough of that to know).

Coordinate mindless constructs like remote drones.

Catapsi and Redopsi emulation should probably be availible somehow.

Empower inventions with mental energy to give them Ghost Touch abilities.

Lappy9000
2009-09-02, 10:30 AM
Direct neural interface with created objects? (especially the armor) This would give a bonus to initiative, and maybe reflex saves and/or attack-rolls... for an anime feel have it double morale effects too.

Mental C.A.D. system inside their head (at least the equal of the one in Tony Stark's basement in the movie).

Come to that, let them enter the mind of an opponent with their party to do battle al-la "The Cell" or "Lawn-Mower Man".

Hack the Weave al la "The Matrix", the digital girl in "Code Lyoko" or maybe the ".//Hack:???" series (haven't seen enough of that to know).

Coordinate mindless constructs like remote drones.

Catapsi and Redopsi emulation should probably be availible somehow.

Empower inventions with mental energy to give them Ghost Touch abilities.While I don't know half of those, the names are cool, and that's really half the battle, so thanks! :smalltongue:

Although I'm sure I've ticked off plenty of real engineers with my lack of knowledge of engineering jargon :smallsigh:

DracoDei
2009-09-02, 11:01 AM
Well, given that you are going to have to match the crunch to the fluff, I would actually call that a problem.

C.A.D. is Computer Aided Design... it is what engineers use these days instead of protractors and rulers and stencils. Tony Stark, better known as Iron Man, and in the movie of that title, used a holographic system (which doesn't exist yet). He could manipulate the illusionary peices of the armor with his bare hands because the computer was tracking his hands and causing the image to react accordingly.

The Weave is the D&D term for the underlying (magical?) structure of the universe... the "programming" that creates reality if you will...

Beyond that... ask me after Dragon Con if nobody else has explained it by then... maybe I will have the brain-power to explain more of this.

Lappy9000
2009-09-02, 01:41 PM
Well, given that you are going to have to match the crunch to the fluff, I would actually call that a problem.Well, that's what Google is for, although I appreciate you defining them for me.