PDA

View Full Version : Tools to create awesome

Otodetu
2009-09-03, 06:25 AM
Hi forum

I am planning to create a over-complicated wound system for fun.

First a roll determines what part of the body is hit, then a second roll decides what subsystem in the hit location is hit, now this is of course to bothersome for any sane gamer.

So I am asking what sort of tools I should use to create\program a sort of simple calculator\application that can handle all the rolling and just give a result.

Anything open-source is welcome, I have no plans to spend any actual money on this, just time.

I have been thinking about using a openoffice spreadsheet, but I don't know if it is able to perform this sort of action.

didub
2009-09-03, 04:03 PM
I believe if that's all you really needed, Qbasic could do it. I might work on it and upload the code. Can you give me the stats? Something like:

Roll 1d4
1. Head
2. Torso
3. Arms
4. Legs

Legs: Roll 1d8......

You get it. Also, do you want it to tell you the mechanic effect on the poor character, or did you just want to wing it?

Lord of Syntax
2009-09-03, 04:07 PM
Going F.A.T.A.L, are we?

didub
2009-09-03, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I tested Qbasic and that'll do it fine. Made a first rough draft. Post the code soon.

Otodetu
2009-09-04, 04:43 AM
This is the basic idea, inspired by this: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Wound

d10
head
neck
upper body
lower body
upper arms
upper legs
lower arms
lower legs

d8
head
brain
left eye
right eye
nose
left ear
right ear
teeth
jaw

d3
neck
throat
spine
thyroid

d6
upper body
lungs
hearth
liver
kidneys
spleen
stomach

d4
lower body
groin
intestines
pancreas
spine

d2
upper leg
tight
knee

d2
upper arm
shoulder
elbow

d3
lower leg
calf
ankle
foot

d3
lower arm
forearm
wrist
hand

This is just my mindstorm, i added it to give you a idea
The new wounding system, a character that runs out of hit points will suffer a random hit to his or her body

The hits are resolved as (constitution score + armour value) – (strength score + average damage value)
For every 5 points the attacker overcomes the defense value of the defender the body part takes 1 damage (minimum 1, but see below)
a result of -10 or more for the attacker result in no damage to the defender

Notes:
Use dexterity to resolve ranged attacks
use the average damage value for the current attack

states
bruised\cut
sprained\mangled
broken\cut off\run entirely through

Body parts that take damage induce the owner with stuff
dc fort dex will
bleeding\vomiting, stunned(slowed), pain,

ps, how do I use "spoilers"?

drakir_nosslin
2009-09-04, 05:31 AM
This shouldn't be too hard to code in c++ or any equivalent programming language either. Just have the program ramdomize a number between 1-10 and make an if/or part that rolls again depending on the body part (random number). Repeat for as many subsections as necessary and have the program write out the rolls + the affected body part in the end.
It's easy but it takes a lot of ugly code, I'm sure there is a better way to do it.

And to spoiler things, write {spoiler}text{/spoiler} but replace {} with []

Otodetu
2009-09-04, 10:03 AM
I have found out that I might use python: I found this little thing http://news.e-scribe.com/193 that includes some random numbers
as far as I know you need to buy expensive software to use c++, and python is free (and i am on a linux system)

import random

numbers = random.sample(range(1,10), 9)
steps = 0

while numbers != sorted(numbers):
print " ".join(map(str, numbers))
flipcount = int(raw_input("Reverse how many? "))
numbers[:flipcount] = reversed(numbers[:flipcount])
steps += 1

print "Done! That took you %d steps." % steps

I will just be cannibalizing code I find here and there, as I know next to nothing about programming...