PDA

View Full Version : Iron Slaver [PrC]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-09-03, 03:45 PM
Iron Slaver
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/5.jpg
Maliance Thestral, an iron slaver and her enslaved iron golem

Many artificers and other master craftsmen learn how to create constructs from the ground up, or from instructions passed down from creator to creator. In the case of the iron slavers, they have surpassed mere creation and learn all the subtle hints and tricks for manipulating the spirit of mindless creations to become their slaves. They also learn how to puncture the barriers between construct and man by seeing through their senses, imbuing them with magic from afar and even at the highest tiers of power, possess one of your controlled constructs.

HD: d6

Requirements
Skills: Craft (armorsmithing) 10 ranks, Craft (metalworking) 10 ranks, Use Magic Device 10 ranks
Feats: Craft Construct, three other craft feats
Infusions: Ability to use 4th level infusions.
Special: Craft reserve class feature, item creation class feature. Must have created at least one construct with at least 5 HD, and fought one with a CR of at least your character level.

Class Skills: Appraise, Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Knowledge (the planes), Open Lock, Profression, Search, Spellcraft and Use Magic Device.
Skill-points per level: 4+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Infusions
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Seize construct, read construct, craft reserve|--
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Bonus feat|+1 of existing infusion-using class
3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Construct sight|+1 of existing infusion-using class
4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Ranged imbue|+1 of existing infusion-using class
5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Bonus feat|+1 of existing infusion-using class
6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Reanimate construct|+1 of existing infusion-using class
7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Empower Construct|+1 of existing infusion-using class
8th|+6|+2|+2|+6|Bonus feat|+1 of existing infusion-using class
9th|+6|+3|+3|+6|Master of repair|+1 of existing infusing-using class
10th|+7|+3|+3|+7|Possess construct|+1 of existing infusion-using class
[/table]

Weapon and armor proficiencies: Iron Slavers gain no additional weapon proficiencies, but become proficient with all types of armor, though not with shields.

Infusions: At each level except 1st, a iron slaver gains an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in a infusion-using class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained(except Craft Reserve, see below). If you had more than one infusion-using class before becoming a iron slaver, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining caster level.

Craft Reserve: Your ability to create and ensnare constructs continue to advance at an equal rate. Your artificer and iron slaver levels stack for determining your craft reserve.

Seize Construct (Su): Upon entering this class, you gain the unique ability to usurp control of non-intelligent constructs from their original masters. Once per round as a standard action, you can make a touch attack against a construct without an Intelligence score and immediately force them to make a Will saving throw (DC 10+iron slaver level+Cha modifier) using either their own Will save modifier or that of the creator of the construct. You cannot control a construct with more HD than your character level, and you cannot control more HD in constructs through this ability than 4 times your character level. This control lasts a number of days equal to your iron slaver level. At 10th level this control becomes indefinite. Once this ability has been used it cannot be used for another 5 rounds. At 5th level you can use it every 3 rounds and at 9th level it is usable every rounds. If you die with constructs under your control through this class feature, they are freed from the ability and may act on their previous order.
At 4th level you can do it as a ranged touch attack as long as you are within 30 ft. of the construct. At 7th level you can do it without making an attack from 30 ft. away. At 10th level you can affect all constructs within 30 feet of you at once.

Read Construct (Su): As you have access to the body of a construct, you also have access to what little information can be imprinted on their spirit. Any construct you control, you automatically know the rightful controller of it and the last order it was given by that controller. You can continue to know that information even as you control and give orders to your seized construct.

Bonus Feats: At 2nd, 5th and 8th levels, a iron slaver receives bonus item creation feats for which you qualify as bonus feats. If you gain a feat that you would later gain as a bonus feat from a core class(such as artificer), you can instead gain a bonus feat that uses the gained feat as a prerequisite, and you must still qualify for it.

Construct Sight (Su): At 3rd level, you are capable of focusing on a single construct that you control and seeing through its eyes as if they were your own. By concentration on a construct you control, you can see what they see, and give them commands telepathically(if you weren't able to before). This ability robs you of your own sight as long as you concentrate, as you focus through their eyes.

Ranged Imbue (Su): At 4th level, you gain a better grasp on the inner workings of your own artificer magic. Any infusion you are capable of using that is restricted to touch can be used on any construct you control from line of sight instead, as long as they are within medium range(100 ft.+10 ft./caster level). At 9th level, you are capable of using it on them at medium range, whether or not you can see them.

Reanimate Construct (Sp): At 6th level, you gain the ability to reanimate any construct you control that's been destroyed. This ability acts just like the true resurrection spell, except it works only on constructs you control or had under your control using the seize construct class feature. Constructs originally under your control, such as ones you created, return to your control as normal, but constructs you only controlled through your seize construct ability(or similar ability) come back out of your control, but you are capable of using the ability again once they return to 'life'. Using this ability has no material component cost, but you must spend 100 XP for every HD of the construct brought back thought this ability.

Empower Construct (Su): At 7th level, you may select a number of feats equal to 3+Int modifier. These feats can be distributed among any constructs you control, and the construct with the feat must meet the prerequisites of it, despite being nonintelligent. If a construct you control dies while they have access to what feats you granted them, you lose the ability to grant those feats to any other construct for 24 hours or until the construct returns to 'life'. Once these feats are taken, they cannot be changed, and you lose or gain feats from this ability if your Intelligence modifier is lowered or raised for any reason.

Master of Repair (Sp): At 9th level, you gain the ability to channel your artificer magic into something more frequently usable, but limited to repairing your constructs. You are capable of using total repair as a spell-like ability as a standard action with a caster level equal to your own, and cast as if it were a normal infusion. Once this ability is used, you must wait 5 rounds to do it again.

Possess Construct (Su): At 10th level, you become fully capable of merging yourself with a single controlled construct. Once per encounter as a standard action, you can make yourself fully invisible and incorporeal along with all of your held or carried gear and sharing a space with a construct that you control be the seize construct ability or any other that lets you control a mindless construct. After entering it's square, controlling a construct this way is a swift action. Possessed constructs act on your will, as if they were you, use your mental ability scores, skill ranks, feats, class features and all abilities you possess that don't rely on your own physical body(such as poison or natural weapons). Constructs possessed this way also take all damage, dealing none to you if attacked. You possess any of the abilities the construct does, such as immunities, senses, traits and other extraordinary and supernatural abilities the construct does. Constructs you possess in this way only have access to three feats from your empower construct class feature.
This ability lasts a number of rounds equal to your character level, you are capable of leaving the construct's body as a free action and possess another construct under your control. If the construct is destroyed while you possess it, you are forced from the construct's destroyed body and are dazed for one round.

Agrippa
2009-09-03, 07:00 PM
I've been looking over this prestige class on and off and it looks rather good. That said I don't have much experience with the artificer class though. If only I could get my hands on an Ebberon rulebook or two.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-09-03, 07:08 PM
I've been looking over this prestige class on and off and it looks rather good. That said I don't have much experience with the artificer class though. If only I could get my hands on an Ebberon rulebook or two.

Thanks. I'm also putting more work into the Black Dove, but making a healer/shadow hand staff-girl is hard.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-09-03, 07:16 PM
I took the advice of one of my distinguished colleagues and changed the name from Mechanism Controller to Iron Slaver.

Agrippa
2009-09-03, 08:03 PM
Thanks. I'm also putting more work into the Black Dove, but making a healer/shadow hand staff-girl is hard.

You can pull it off. I have faith in you.

Cieyrin
2009-09-03, 09:18 PM
Can you both Empower and Possess a construct, so that it has both your feats and the ones you grant to it through Empower?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-09-04, 12:56 AM
Can you both Empower and Possess a construct, so that it has both your feats and the ones you grant to it through Empower?

Added clarification.