PDA

View Full Version : Weapons of Choice?

Kurien
2009-09-03, 07:59 PM
The question is simple: What would be your preferred weapon (and perhaps secondary weapon) in a fantasy setting? Possible choices exclude firearms, explosive devices, and energy weapons. I'm looking for melee weapons such as a glaive, halberd, shortsword or ranged weapons such as bolas or javelins.

Currently I would favour a recurve bow and arrows, but I'm indecisive about what kinds of backup weapons I would use. I'd like a fairly small weapon that can fit on a belt, so no greatsword for me.

Say a khukuri or two? Trench knife? Tomahawk? Falcata? Gladius. Medieval weapons experts welcome.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-09-03, 08:03 PM
I would take a bastard sword at the first opportunity. Not a katana, but a good old-fashioned hand-and-a-half sword.

EleventhHour
2009-09-03, 08:03 PM
Crossbow. I could never carry one myself, but hey, your best off hitting them hard with armour piercing heads. Even knights consider avoiding a block of Crossbowmen.

I have a personal preference for the Gladius, even though it's mostly a glorified small sword. (Okay, okay. The real historical buffs probably know the exact differences, but they look to have the same technical use to me.)

Froogleyboy
2009-09-03, 08:05 PM
A parrying dagger. I love them. I love them hard.

tribble
2009-09-03, 08:05 PM
I would take a bastard sword at the first opportunity. Not a katana, but a good old-fashioned hand-and-a-half sword.
You set yourself up for this.

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bull**** that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon) 1d12 Damage 19-20 x4 Crit +2 to hit and damage Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon) 2d10 Damage 17-20 x4 Crit +5 to hit and damage Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 08:06 PM
The only "weapons" I'm actually any good with are my machetes. I like them. Useful tools, too.

Were I in a medieval/fantasy setting, I'd probably get my hands on lots of tools that make good improvised weapons, if I could.

That said, I'd prefer a nice metal rod of some sort. Something I wouldn't have to worry so much about it getting stuck in the other guy, you know?

Ranged weapons are right out. My accuracy is horrendous.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-09-03, 08:07 PM
...I just prefer cruciform swords to katanas because I think they look cooler. It has nothing to do with quality or damage. I just prefer knights to samurai because I grew up reading King Arthur and The Song of Roland rather than The Book of Five Rings.:smallconfused:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 08:08 PM
I'm curious, how did you get the katana out of Japan? Last I remember, they weren't allowed to leave the country...

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-03, 08:10 PM
Don't be shocked by the tone of my voice. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Ky5R-vxns)

Milskidasith
2009-09-03, 08:11 PM
I'd take a good 'old fashioned semi-automatic pistol with custom bullets that can pierce multiple layers of Kevlar.

Granted, I'm out of practice with firearms besides airsoft and paintball guns, but hey, pistols are easy to conceal, and not bad self defense weapons.

Another interesting weapon: A big scalpel. Nothing quite like impromptu surgery.

Blue Ghost
2009-09-03, 08:11 PM
A dueling rapier would be pretty nice, though a scimitar would be cool too.
Is magic allowed?

tribble
2009-09-03, 08:13 PM
...I just prefer cruciform swords to katanas because I think they look cooler. It has nothing to do with quality or damage. I just prefer knights to samurai because I grew up reading King Arthur and The Song of Roland rather than The Book of Five Rings.:smallconfused:

i'm sorry, I couldnt resist. Here (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Katanas_are_Underpowered_in_d20) is an article explaining the +4meme I Sneak Attacked you with.

shadowxknight
Why, a masamune of course. :smallamused:

Nah, I would actually go for a sword and shield.
Having a big metal board protect you is always useful.

EleventhHour
I'd take a good 'old fashioned semi-automatic pistol with custom bullets that can pierce multiple layers of Kevlar.

Granted, I'm out of practice with firearms besides airsoft and paintball guns, but hey, pistols are easy to conceal, and not bad self defense weapons.

Another interesting weapon: A big scalpel. Nothing quite like impromptu surgery.

I think the OP said he was excluding firearms. :smalltongue:

Destro_Yersul
2009-09-03, 08:14 PM
Lots of Words

To be fair, the reason they needed to fold the things so many times is because they were compensating for inferior metal ores used in the construction. That said, you're right. They're incredibly well made, and will shear a bullet in half if it happens to hit them on the sharp edge. And since modern ones will have access to better ores thanks to being able to import them, modern katanas are even better than ancient ones would have been.

As for my personal preference, I'd probably go with the saber and short sword combo I have sitting beside my desk. For a ranged weapon, maybe a hand crossbow.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 08:14 PM
Don't be shocked by the tone of my voice. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Ky5R-vxns)

Your weapon of choice is Christopher Walken? Well, that's hardly fair! D=

Milskidasith
2009-09-03, 08:15 PM
I thought it said include... my mistake.

TheThan
2009-09-03, 08:16 PM
Christopher Walken (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Ky5R-vxns)

that is all.

Milskidasith
2009-09-03, 08:17 PM
To be fair, the reason they needed to fold the things so many times is because they were compensating for inferior metal ores used in the construction. That said, you're right. They're incredibly well made, and will shear a bullet in half if it happens to hit them on the sharp edge. And since modern ones will have access to better ores thanks to being able to import them, modern katanas are even better than ancient ones would have been.

By the same token as this, there were actually European swords (generally of... Germanic make, IIRC), that used all the advanced techniques Japan used to compensate for their inferior metal while using the high grade steel they had access to. They never became popular because, despite a noticeable increase in quality, they were too expensive for the common knight to afford, and buying other necessities was prioritized over a really good sword.

Archpaladin Zousha

I still don't believe they can cut through a tank. All you'd do there is make a fool of yourself. A tank's a lot harder to cut than a bullet.

Cobra_Ikari
Christopher Walken (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Ky5R-vxns)

that is all.

6 minutes too late there, friend. =\

UncleWolf
2009-09-03, 08:18 PM

But I was going to link that. :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

Mauve, you get a cookie for that.

But yeah, Christopher Walken would be mine. :smalltongue:

As for actual weapons, first choice would be a flanged mace/buckler combo

Backup would be a hatchet, I like their feel.

Yes, I can actually use these weapons.

tribble
2009-09-03, 08:18 PM

As for my personal preference, I'd probably go with the saber and short sword combo I have sitting beside my desk. For a ranged weapon, maybe a hand crossbow.

aaah what kind of D&D board is this I post a D20 meme with links to the origin and I get intelligent response.

TheThan
2009-09-03, 08:19 PM
6 minutes too late there, friend. =\

*sigh* that's what I get for not clicking on every link in the thread.

*shuffles off*

KnightDisciple
2009-09-03, 08:20 PM

Walk without rhythm, and it won't attract the worm.

For me, unless I got some kind of magical skill download, I'd go for something like a flanged mace. Swing away, and all that.

Then a nice sturdy knife of some sort.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 08:20 PM
aaah what kind of D&D board is this I post a D20 meme with links to the origin and I get intelligent response.

To be fair, this section includes far too many people who don't actually play D&D. I know. Shocker. >.>

*huggles TheThan* Aww!

The Dark Fiddler
2009-09-03, 08:21 PM
A Katana would be great. I've heard great things about their sharpness (including stuff said in this very thread) and they would likely be very useful for killing the zombie uprising.

Or a Crowbar. You never know. :smalltongue:

Although I've always wanted to learn fencing... and scimitars are just awesome.

And I'm rambling, aren't I?

Perhaps I'll just go with my trusty baseball bat. Bonk!

Milskidasith
2009-09-03, 08:21 PM
As for actual melee weapons... a baseball bat. Honestly, I have no weapons training, so no matter what I'd be inefficient, and a baseball bat is such an iconic American thing it would be easy to sneak around.

And scalpels. Those things are sharp and easy to conceal.

tribble
2009-09-03, 08:23 PM
Anyway, I already knew about all that stuff with inferior metal Etc.

It's really just a stupid statement someone made on 4chan for which he was justly labeled "Weeabo."

and then was made into Copypasta.

Eon
2009-09-03, 08:25 PM
well... for my main weapon i would probably want a longsword and a dagger. It works pretty well i would think.

and for secondary i always thought two knives would be awesome but the short range might hurt. but i'll go with them anyways.

Destro_Yersul
2009-09-03, 08:26 PM
I still don't believe they can cut through a tank. All you'd do there is make a fool of yourself. A tank's a lot harder to cut than a bullet.

I don't think they would either, partly because tanks are really really durable. They've been constructed to withstand hits from high explosives, I don't think any sword, no matter how well made, is going to do much to one.

Milskidasith
2009-09-03, 08:27 PM
Here's a question: Not having access to scalpels, just how sharp are they? I've heard simply touching the sharp end is enough to get your finger to bleed (and pressing on it is apparently a good way to cut to the bone), but I'm not entirely sure about that.

If they are really that sharp, they'd make lovely assassination tools. >_>

EDIT: Another weapon I'd choose would be the Rods from Gods. It technically isn't a firearm, explosive, or energy weapon... it just involves dropping a giant tungsten bar from orbit to achieve nuke level destruction with no fallout, and the project isn't even close to being ready yet.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-03, 08:28 PM
greatsword and longspear. Nuff said.

Erloas
Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?

Sure, if you have the resources to purchase a 20k katana. Most of the ones you run across are crap, and even a lot of the decent ones aren't anywhere near that either. Even your military issue katanas aren't going to be anywhere near that quality.

Of course a good quality european sword is also a lot better then what you generally run across too.

Of course if we want to talk about what is possible now in melee weapons it would be just as possible to make a european sword design (well many of them at least, not all of them) using the same techniques as they used on the katanas.

I know there have been some tests done, but I would have to look them up, as to what a Japan/China military issue (not some one off weapon only the wealthies of nobles could afford) katana was capable of compared to european armor in the 13-15th ish centuries. They were very effective against other Chinese and Japanese soldiers because iron was too rare to use it to make things like shields and armor.

As for the weapon I would choose, it would probably be a longsword and a shield, with a secondary weapon being a crossbow. A longbow would probably be more practical in terms of carring around, but they take a lot more practice to be good with and it takes a tremendious amount of strength to fire one with much power for very many shots. If a modern compound bow was available I would take one of them instead.

Cobra_Ikari
Here's a question: Not having access to scalpels, just how sharp are they? I've heard simply touching the sharp end is enough to get your finger to bleed (and pressing on it is apparently a good way to cut to the bone), but I'm not entirely sure about that.

If I remember correctly, it's said that a scapel is the only thing that can cut skin. Everything else (including things like razor blades) rips skin. >.>

So, yes, they are very sharp. =P

tribble
2009-09-03, 08:29 PM
now for an actual contribution from me.:smalltongue:

Crossbow. for an explanation of why, check the fourth link on this page. (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Katanas_are_Underpowered_in_d20)

EDIT:

If I remember correctly, it's said that a scapel is the only thing that can cut skin. Everything else (including things like razor blades) rips skin. >.>

Razor Blades and scalpels are made the exact same way, according to my father, who works in the OR on a daily basis.

Trog
2009-09-03, 08:31 PM

Threadwin.

Milskidasith
2009-09-03, 08:31 PM

Slightly oversized scalpels it is! And maybe Rods from God or a baseball bat, though the Rods from God kind of violate the spirit of this.

EDIT: Apparently scalpels mainly get their cutting ability from how thin they are, and their edge isn't particularly amazing. Getting a regular knife with an absurdly sharp blade is also apparently possible.

Kurien
2009-09-03, 08:32 PM
A dueling rapier would be pretty nice, though a scimitar would be cool too.
Is magic allowed?

At first I wanted to see what mundane weapons you would choose, but I think go ahead and post magical properties. My only experience with DnD is playing Neverwinter Nights and my knowledge of settings comes from reading forgotten realms novels, but it would be interesting to empower my arrows with lightning and/or hurricane force winds.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.
Now I realize that you were referring to a meme, but I would still like to point out that i've heard that katanas are only folded like, 40 something times. Any more and the benefit of layers is negated due to them being so thin.
Ninja'ed. Kinda.

Also, since I've never actually handled any of the weapons I posted, I'm pretty much going by the rule of cool here. Please don't hurt me.

Jack Squat
2009-09-03, 08:33 PM

*snip katana fanboy-ism*

Actually, you're wrong. Katanas are horrible weaponry against any sort of decent armor, as they were designed to cut flesh and soft armor. A $6 machete from Wal-Mart can cut through sheet metal much better than a katana.

Europe never even conquered the rest of the East, why would they go after Japan (Sure, the west got parts of it, but most wasn't under their control)? The Mongols couldn't capture Japan, but that's because they weren't too good at sailing and lost a great many ships to a storm.

In WWII, Soldiers shot as they saw, and Japanese snipers were much more deadly than the boys with the katanas...however, any Japanese soldier would die fighting before being surrendering, so maybe it's a moot point.

I don't want to doubt you on your training, but I've heard that claim a lot and it turns out that people bought a $150 wall-hanger from the mall and slashed a couple trees with it. I'm not calling you a liar about it, but it is something to consider when saying that, especially while making the ridiculous claims you did.

As far as what weapons I'd choose? I don't know. My first choice would have been firearms, since they're what I've had the most training with. I guess beyond that, I'd choose a saber or cane and a dagger, depending on circumstances.

Jesse Drake
2009-09-03, 08:35 PM
Clawed Bracers! They are the best weapons, in my opinion. Snick snick, sha!

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 08:40 PM
Actually, you're wrong. Katanas are horrible weaponry against any sort of decent armor, as they were designed to cut flesh and soft armor. A $6 machete from Wal-Mart can cut through sheet metal much better than a katana.

Europe never even conquered the rest of the East, why would they go after Japan (Sure, the west got parts of it, but most wasn't under their control)? The Mongols couldn't capture Japan, but that's because they weren't too good at sailing and lost a great many ships to a storm.

In WWII, Soldiers shot as they saw, and Japanese snipers were much more deadly than the boys with the katanas...however, any Japanese soldier would die fighting before being surrendering, so maybe it's a moot point.

I don't want to doubt you on your training, but I've heard that claim a lot and it turns out that people bought a $150 wall-hanger from the mall and slashed a couple trees with it. I'm not calling you a liar about it, but it is something to consider when saying that, especially while making the ridiculous claims you did.

As far as what weapons I'd choose? I don't know. My first choice would have been firearms, since they're what I've had the most training with. I guess beyond that, I'd choose a saber or cane and a dagger, depending on circumstances.

It was, apparently, a joke. I know. It's so common, none of us realized it was sarcasm. =P

I'm almost certain most scalpels are sharper than most razors, Trib. My dad's a doc, too.

Also, insert interesting scalpel article here. (http://www.ur.umich.edu/9798/Sep10_97/surgery.htm)

Anuan
2009-09-03, 08:41 PM
Longish cut-and-thrust and a shield, or a Glaive-style weapon. Probably a lighter style, like a kwan dao, or naginata.

As backups; a kukri and a katar.

"I AM A SPINNING HACKING STABBING WHIRLWIND OF STEEL AAAAAAAAH"
"Hohgeez that guy's crazy OH GOD MY ARM IT'S GO-*pierce to the face*"

tribble

I KNOW! I KNOW! CHRISSAKE IT'S JUST A JOKE I DIDNT EVEN WRITE THAT WHY DOESNT ANYBODY UNDERSTAND ME.

seriously, It's a bleeding meme. I don't have a katana, or training with it. some anonymus (F*** I can't spell that word) guy from FOUR-CHAN wrote that. somebody mentioned bastard swords and Katanas in the same breath, I can't NOT post the copypasta.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Halna LeGavilk
I would use the POWER OF ROCK(TM)! I would destroy entire countries with just my voice and a guitar! I would level cities by singing solo, conquer nations with just a riff, and woo entire continents' worth of women just by my sheer manliness!

Jack Squat
2009-09-03, 08:44 PM
I KNOW! I KNOW! CHRISSAKE IT'S JUST A JOKE I DIDNT EVEN WRITE THAT WHY DOESNT ANYBODY UNDERSTAND ME.

seriously, It's a bleeding meme. I don't have a katana, or training with it. some anonymus (F*** I can't spell that word) guy from FOUR-CHAN wrote that. somebody mentioned bastard swords and Katanas in the same breath, I can't NOT post the copypasta.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

I've just heard the actual argument far too often...also when I started there were no posts after yours, I just got distracted for a bit.

Timberwolf
2009-09-03, 08:47 PM
If i was running round a fantasy setting, I'm no good with anything much. I'd go with what I have most experience with...

no, not a large block of wood.

Before I ruined my knee, I did some fencing, so I guess I'd have to have something from there but the swords don't really light my fire.

Cheesy as it doubtless sounds, I like the sound of a Ninja - to, they're reasonably short in the blade but have the 2 handed hilt to give options.

That or a pair of reasonably sized daggers since, although I am completely right handed, bizarrely enough, I've always fought in martial arts left handed, well enough that i will at least think to use my left hand and not waste it.

TheThan
2009-09-03, 08:47 PM
Aww… I’ve been huggled (hey does that provoke an AOO?)

Anyway to answer the question,

Melee Weapons:
I think I’ll go with a classic great-sword. I’m big enough that wielding one won’t cause size issues, especially if it comes with proper training.
But then again I am partial to the Bowie knife/tomahawk pairing, mainly because I love the whole mountain man/expansion era of the America frontier. That and this movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPVy1drAr8Y&feature=related)
(Warning: violence and tragedy) yeah I know, regardless of what you think of Mel, he usually does pretty good movies

now guns are going to require a bit more though.

Moff Chumley
2009-09-03, 08:49 PM
I'd go with a small, sharp, sturdy knife. Against anything but a gun, or someone who really knows what they're doing, it's all you need. Land one hit on the underside of the arm, and you win. :smallamused:

tribble
2009-09-03, 08:52 PM
I've just heard the actual argument far too often...also when I started there were no posts after yours, I just got distracted for a bit.

the "ninja'd" was referring to me.:smallwink:

skywalker
2009-09-03, 08:52 PM
By the same token as this, there were actually European swords (generally of... Germanic make, IIRC), that used all the advanced techniques Japan used to compensate for their inferior metal while using the high grade steel they had access to. They never became popular because, despite a noticeable increase in quality, they were too expensive for the common knight to afford, and buying other necessities was prioritized over a really good sword.

When you are too expensive for the common knight, you are too freaking expensive.

EDIT: Another weapon I'd choose would be the Rods from Gods. It technically isn't a firearm, explosive, or energy weapon... it just involves dropping a giant tungsten bar from orbit to achieve nuke level destruction with no fallout, and the project isn't even close to being ready yet.

Every explanation I've ever heard of the damned things provokes a massive "physics says no!" explosion from my head.

EDIT: Apparently scalpels mainly get their cutting ability from how thin they are, and their edge isn't particularly amazing. Getting a regular knife with an absurdly sharp blade is also apparently possible.

As far as I know, sharpness is simply a measure of the thinness of your edge. So yes, scalpels do have a particularly amazing edge, especially those made of obsidian, etc. The goal is to get a scalpel whose edge is a molecule thick to do very, very precise surgery.

I actually think there is some relevance to the "soldiers shot guys with katanas first" claim. That's because Japanese officers were the ones carrying katanas. If an officer is stupid enough to wave his katana around (like they taught him to) trying to lead people, then no wonder he got shot.

Personally, I would go with a ranged weapon. Any will do. Just something to keep me far away from the guys with pointy things. I'm pretty sure your survival rate with a ranged weapon (even one you can only use poorly) is much higher. In all situations, I think it works out better. In mass combat, I can move around better since I don't have as much armor on, I can attack from farther away, and I'm farther from the melee so I can easily flee if a retreat is called (or deemed necessary by me). In one-on-one, the only way to approach me is via a headlong charge, and I can hopefully move to avoid that. Also, my opponent will again theoretically be wearing heavier armor, and thusly tire out faster as he tries to close with me and fails.

Anuan
2009-09-03, 08:54 PM
Remember you're in a fantasy setting her, Moff.
Most people with knives, swords, axes etc will know what they're doing, and in a lot of cases, have longer reach than a dagger.

Not to discount your choice, just...only being able to go for the artery in the arm because your opponent is armoured elsewhere is a real liability when they're wielding a five foot pole with a blade on the end. Bit of a reach issue there.

Talwar
2009-09-03, 08:55 PM
Without glasses, my eye-sight is lousy, so no bows or crossbows. Maybe a throwing axe.

I'm fascinated by those gi-normous wavy-shaped two-handed swords, but I'd put my back out while swinging it.

Most likely, improvised farm tools - flail and axe. Sickle's an option, but the shape seems awkward for a weapon. Plus shield, of course.

tribble
2009-09-03, 08:56 PM
When you are too expensive for the common knight, you are too freaking expensive.

I actually think there is some relevance to the "soldiers shot guys with katanas first" claim. That's because Japanese officers were the ones carrying katanas. If an officer is stupid enough to wave his katana around (like they taught him to) trying to lead people, then no wonder he got shot.

You got your serious discussion in my copypasta!:smallannoyed:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 09:00 PM
I'm fascinated by those gi-normous wavy-shaped two-handed swords, but I'd put my back out while swinging it.

The word you are looking for, it is "flamberge". >.>

Also, I am disappointed that you wouldn't use the weapon you named yourself after. v.v

Moff Chumley
2009-09-03, 09:01 PM
Remember you're in a fantasy setting her, Moff.
Most people with knives, swords, axes etc will know what they're doing, and in a lot of cases, have longer reach than a dagger.

Not to discount your choice, just...only being able to go for the artery in the arm because your opponent is armoured elsewhere is a real liability when they're wielding a five foot pole with a blade on the end. Bit of a reach issue there.

Okay. Say you're fighting a huge guy with an ax.
1) Stay just out of range, backing up and evading 'till you're ready.
2) Move in at the same time as he does.
3) Immediately duck, dodge, or otherwise evade the inevitable strike.
4) Rush within as close a range as possible, and slit an artery or two.
5) Use the distraction to retreat out of range.
6) Repeat.

Recaiden
2009-09-03, 09:02 PM
I'll go with my sword. A small bow after that.

littlebottom
2009-09-03, 09:03 PM
Why, a masamune of course. :smallamused:

Nah, I would actually go for a sword and shield.
Having a big metal board protect you is always useful.

i agree with the first statement... no really... i would!

the masamune, is an almightly weapon, if it was a fantasy world i would of trained with it from youth, (IE: weightlifting to be able to weild the thing with any speed) untill finally, i could take it into battle, and i would be a god amongst men! MWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAA!

secondary weapon? well, im a swords man at heart, but having a sword like that, you wouldnt need another, i would proberbly have an equivilent to a sniper rifle if thats allowed? (theres no point in taking a shot gun or another sword, i need something with range to complement my short melee range weapon! )....... ive never put any thought into this before, honest :smallamused:

skywalker
2009-09-03, 09:06 PM
3) Immediately duck, dodge, or otherwise evade the inevitable strike.

You forgot dip, dive, and dodge.

:biggrin:

Kurien
2009-09-03, 09:10 PM

:smallannoyed: This video is not available in my country- "copyright restrictions."
What's it about and how does it pertain to the topic?

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 09:10 PM
i agree with the first statement... no really... i would!

the masamune, is an almightly weapon, if it was a fantasy world i would of trained with it from youth, (IE: weightlifting to be able to weild the thing with any speed) untill finally, i could take it into battle, and i would be a god amongst men! MWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAA!

secondary weapon? well, im a swords man at heart, but having a sword like that, you wouldnt need another, i would proberbly have an equivilent to a sniper rifle if thats allowed? (theres no point in taking a shot gun or another sword, i need something with range to complement my short melee range weapon! )....... ive never put any thought into this before, honest :smallamused:

Ah, see, but WHAT is a Masamune? Hmm?

Other than a NAME.

The word you're looking for is most likely "nodachi". >.>

KnightDisciple
2009-09-03, 09:12 PM
Masamune was a swordmaker.

So maybe it's like saying "I'll take a Colt"?

Jesse Drake
2009-09-03, 09:12 PM
:smallannoyed: This video is not available in my country- "copyright restrictions."
What's it about and how does it pertain to the topic?

Fatboy Slim, Weapon of Choice, IE the title. Incidentally, Christopher Walken dancing is awesome.

That's the weapon of choice (the sound of his voice)

SurlySeraph
2009-09-03, 09:13 PM
Either a machete or a short sword. Both of them are straightforward and easy to use, relatively concealable, and (more so for the machete) can be used a bit in everyday life. If you're stabbing, it doesn't matter if you have a short sword or a nodachi, your target is not likely to survive.

As Kurien said magic is allowed, I'd go with either flaming or some kind of negative energy property. Flaming has so much everyday utility. And I'm a sucker for the direct approach, so just channeling liquid death or whatever negative energy's supposed to be right into someone appeals to me.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 09:13 PM
Masamune was a swordmaker.

So maybe it's like saying "I'll take a Colt"?

Mmm. Like a Colt revolver? Or the semiauto pistol? Or the line of assault rifles?

Now do you see how meaningless that word is?

EDIT: Do you really stab somebody once your sword reaches overcompensating lengths? That would be...heinously difficult. >.<

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-09-03, 09:19 PM
Hmmm... It all depends, really. A crossbow is ideal, as it can take out just about any target, except I'm short-sighted, so good luck hitting. I'd think I'd have to go with a sword of some kind. I would go with an axe, but the problem with an axe is that it's slow, and requires more brute strength than a sword, and more recovery time between blows. To a lesser degree, same with a mace. With most polearms, the advantage is lessened if your not with a bunch of friendlies with more polearms, so I'd have to go with the good old versatile sword in the end.

Helinon
2009-09-03, 09:20 PM
Throwing daggers. Lots and lots of throwing daggers. Maybe a short sword and shield too.

littlebottom
2009-09-03, 09:32 PM
ok, well the particular sword i meant was the one most proberbly thought of, the one wielded by sephiroth, but if i had just a katana, a masamune made one would be awesome... he made good katanas... (no i do not know the names of all different types of japanese swords or weapons)

@cobra: you can stab when it gets to silly lengths, but the main idea is to slash with a sword like that, stabbing is slow, obvious and easily blocked with a heavy and long sword. although, sometimes, stabbing is perfectly viable option. ill stop babbling on about nothing now...

NemoUtopia
2009-09-03, 09:32 PM
Naginata. Not just because I'm a D&D power gamer who wants access to all three physical damage types, but because I can actually use one and it is one versatile piece of equipment in the right hands...which are not mine, quite yet, I still have to avoid hitting my own head *cough*:smallredface: Anyway, if you see one of these in real action (not Dynasty Warriors nonsense), it's got reach, can be used close, thrust, slash, block, sweep, trip, disarm, stun (slap someone's head with the flat of the blade)...if you make sure the shaft/staff is crafted for your height and the blade is well-made/attached, I will take on any other real-world/fantasy setting weapon and at least not make a fool of myself. Of course, my fighting style is all about flow and economy...

Recurved longbow (after I work out some more). Because in world without guns and tanks, a good yeoman is one scary *insert adjective-cussing*.

SilentDragoon
2009-09-03, 09:47 PM
If I had corrected vision, probably a crossbow for range as well as relative ease of use. Without, I couldn't really tell friend from foe beyond about ten feet, so some type of halberd or poleaxe to try to maximize distance fighting while still being able to choke up on it a bit for very close quarters.

Elfin
2009-09-03, 09:49 PM
A light, swift blade. If this were specifically a D&D setting I'd go Elven Thinblade, but in medieval/generic fantasy a longsword is the next best thing.

chiasaur11
2009-09-03, 09:52 PM
Powerloader.

As the obvious choice is to bring a gun to a knifefight, I figure, I go a step beyond and bring a giant robot to a gunfight.

And that way, anything tough enough to drop me is awesome enough to deserve it.

KnightDisciple
2009-09-03, 09:55 PM
Mmm. Like a Colt revolver? Or the semiauto pistol? Or the line of assault rifles?

Now do you see how meaningless that word is?

EDIT: Do you really stab somebody once your sword reaches overcompensating lengths? That would be...heinously difficult. >.<

Colt, as in the brand.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-09-03, 09:56 PM
One of two things:

The "longsword" which is really the one and the same with the hand-and-half "bastard sword." Mostly because scholars of western martial arts, and most documents related to such, seem to agree that it is the core basis from which all other weapons are learned.

From there: Anything that's unconventional compared to anything anybody else is using. Assassin Creed's hidden blade? Chain and sickle? Crossbow? Really depends on the circumstances I suppose.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 09:58 PM
Colt, as in the brand.

Yes, I understand.

Colt is famous for its extensive line of revolvers. And the semiauto pistol, the M1911. And the M16 rifle series. And they make various other weapons, too.

All of these are distinctly different weapons.

Durp
2009-09-03, 09:59 PM
Metal baseball bat. I'd invent it, then use it. Secondary: Katar.

KnightDisciple
2009-09-03, 10:00 PM
Yes, I understand.

Colt is famous for its extensive line of revolvers. And the semiauto pistol, the M1911. And the M16 rifle series. And they make various other weapons, too.

All of these are distinctly different weapons.

That was my point.:smallconfused:

Partof1
2009-09-03, 10:03 PM
One-handed dueling sabre, and a shortsword, for parrying. And a crossbow for range. And a lighter, for the arrows.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 10:04 PM
That was my point.:smallconfused:

But...that was MY point. When you defended his saying "I'll take a Masamune" as being like saying "I'll take a Colt."

It doesn't mean anything. It's not a weapon. It's...pointless. >.<

And for the record, Little, as someone who found FFVII to be overhyped trash, I would not immediately think of Sephiroth's sword. I don't even remember them naming his sword in that game...

SurlySeraph
2009-09-03, 10:15 PM
Cobra, I think what he means is that it both comes down to saying "I'll take a powerful, ill-defined weapon that could refer to anything."

KnightDisciple
2009-09-03, 10:16 PM
But...that was MY point. When you defended his saying "I'll take a Masamune" as being like saying "I'll take a Colt."

It doesn't mean anything. It's not a weapon. It's...pointless. >.<

And for the record, Little, as someone who found FFVII to be overhyped trash, I would not immediately think of Sephiroth's sword. I don't even remember them naming his sword in that game...

:smallsigh: I wasn't defending it. I was actually twisting it from being "I'll take Sephy's sword" to be "I'll take a popular brand".

I think we talked past each other.:smallwink:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 10:18 PM
:smallsigh: I wasn't defending it. I was actually twisting it from being "I'll take Sephy's sword" to be "I'll take a popular brand".

I think we talked past each other.:smallwink:

I agree. My bad. >.<

*huggles*

SDF
2009-09-03, 10:19 PM
If looks could really kill

My profession would be staring

skywalker
2009-09-03, 10:19 PM
If I had corrected vision, probably a crossbow for range as well as relative ease of use. Without, I couldn't really tell friend from foe beyond about ten feet, so some type of halberd or poleaxe to try to maximize distance fighting while still being able to choke up on it a bit for very close quarters.

This is partially why those armies wore bright, contrasting colors.

The "longsword" which is really the one and the same with the hand-and-half "bastard sword." Mostly because scholars of western martial arts, and most documents related to such, seem to agree that it is the core basis from which all other weapons are learned.

So most people on here, you argue, have actually been talking about an "arming sword?"

Kallisti
2009-09-03, 10:24 PM
One of these. Seriously. They rock. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KatanasAreJustBetter)

For the backup? A recurve bow and plenty of arrows to lauch into people's squishy bits.
Katana trope joke aside, I'd take the bow, then a rapier as my backup. Because a weakling like me probably couldn't even swing a katana.

SilentDragoon
2009-09-03, 10:38 PM
This is partially why those armies wore bright, contrasting colors.

Even though that means I'd be pointing in the right direction, doesn't mean I'd be able to hit anyone. :smallwink:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 10:42 PM
Even though that means I'd be pointing in the right direction, doesn't mean I'd be able to hit anyone. :smallwink:

Which is why we back you up with enough people to make the other person statistically mostly dead. *nodnod*

tribble
2009-09-03, 10:54 PM
One of these. Seriously. They rock. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KatanasAreJustBetter)

For the backup? A recurve bow and plenty of arrows to lauch into people's squishy bits.
Katana trope joke aside, I'd take the bow, then a rapier as my backup. Because a weakling like me probably couldn't even swing a katana.

I already did the katana meme and nobody understood me. *sob*

I would actually want this guy's weaponry. (http://goblins.keenspot.com/d/20050910.html)

Icewalker
2009-09-03, 10:57 PM
Going from my experience slaughtering numerous folks with one at Wayfinder, I'm going to have to go with the Bo-Sword:
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs174.snc1/6560_123053329725_720214725_2202437_4860058_n.jpg

Erloas
2009-09-03, 10:59 PM
Apparently the Katana meme wasn't a very good meme since no one seemed to know it. And if most people don't know it that means it isn't really a meme.

If we can take memes though, I'll have myself a Chuck Norris. That way I can kill anything and everything with little effort and no real danger to myself.

And I guess earlier I was thinking more of an arming sword. I couldn't think of a correct name and didn't take the time to look it up, so I just went with common usage (ie games) which it turns out is just wrong.

Dracomorph
2009-09-03, 11:01 PM
My weapon of choice would be a gladius, large shield, and the rest of a Roman legion.

Alternatively, Hank's Bow.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 11:02 PM
Apparently the Katana meme wasn't a very good meme since no one seemed to know it. And if most people don't know it that means it isn't really a meme.

If we can take memes though, I'll have myself a Chuck Norris. That way I can kill anything and everything with little effort and no real danger to myself.

And I guess earlier I was thinking more of an arming sword. I couldn't think of a correct name and didn't take the time to look it up, so I just went with common usage (ie games) which it turns out is just wrong.

The Katana meme is an excellent meme. It's the Ironic Use of Katana Meme in Serious Discussion that hasn't quite caught on yet. >.>

Yulian
2009-09-03, 11:02 PM

I was a mortician for a number of years. A new scalpel, out of the package?

Scary sharp. You can test it by running a digit crosswise across the blade. You run a digit down it with any real pressure and it will cut at least the first layer of epidermis.

But they are short and can break if they get lodged in something. They are not made for durability. They do blunt out fairly quickly with use though, and we did re-use them. After all, I can apply as much pressure as I wanted to remains.

Oh, and glass cuts skin as well. In fact, obsidian has been tested by surgeons (with patient consent) and they said it worked quite well.

Forced not to use firearms, which I'm very comfy with, let's see.

I guess a few choices stand out to me.

Hammer backed with a pick with a spike on top. They are ridiculously light for the damage they can do and I am of above-average strength. Seriously, a 3-6 lb object is nothing to swing. I'm pretty sure that or a flanged mace and I'd be cleaning sizable chunks of caked hair and flesh out of it after a fight. They can also crush armour, which is always useful. Even mail won't reduce the damage all that much on a solid hit. Then again, you do have a pick.

I guess I could also go with a falchion as backup. The falchion concentrates weight at the end like an axe, making for very powerful chopping blows. I have seen them with the back 1/4 of the top sharpened too. That would be even better and allow for thrusts.

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/images/VA-Falchion-Blade.jpg

Tell me that's not intimidating.

Oh, and I do have some real-world experience with, well...inserting a long, sharp object very deeply into a person. You see, when someone isn't autopsied and is then embalmed, the embalming fluid is pushed through the circulatory system from the injection point, through a cannula that is clamped to an artery. The fluid pushes the settled and coagulating blood ahead of it, replacing it and eventually being (with luck) reaching everywhere blood reaches.

Skipping a bit, when you are done (remember, this is non-autopsied remains only) you must then aspirate any organ that has hollow spaces within it to get anything that remains inside, out. That means you have to somehow get your suction tube (hooked up to a hydroaspirator - a specialized spigot that creates a vacuum as water rushes out) to those organs.

Enter your friend and mine, the trocar.

http://www.pimpinmajesty.com/images/trocarcavityinstruments.jpg

For our purposes, we used ones like the top example. You go two and two. Two inches to the left and two up from the navel. Then, you insert it, making sure to puncture each organ in turn and aspirating any fluid or semisolids. I myself liked to get the heart first, then lungs, stomach, gall bladder, and so on, working my way down to the intestines and getting the bladder last.

One would be very surprised to learn how very easy it is once you puncture all the layers of skin. The underlying muscle and pleura offer little resistance so long as your initial motion is smooth.

I am full of interesting facts. ;)

- Yulian

Kallisti
2009-09-03, 11:03 PM

TV tropes are always good. Always.*

*Not because they're actually that good. Because the idea that at leat three people just lost a half an hour of their lifetimes to that websites wiki-walk links amuses me. Bwahahahahahaha!

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 11:06 PM
I've changed my mind. My weapon of choice is Yulian. >.>

tribble
2009-09-03, 11:09 PM
TV tropes are always good. Always.*

*Not because they're actually that good. Because the idea that at leat three people just lost a half an hour of their lifetimes to that websites wiki-walk links amuses me. Bwahahahahahaha!

You-You MONSTER!!

Peaches!
2009-09-03, 11:38 PM
Can Improvised Weapons be a choice?
If so.
That.

Corathan
2009-09-04, 12:29 AM
*grins*

I only need a few weapons.

A staff (bladed or not, I love them both) And two daggers.

Gives me reach, and short range attacks.

skywalker
2009-09-04, 01:05 AM
Going from my experience slaughtering numerous folks with one at Wayfinder, I'm going to have to go with the Bo-Sword:

I prefer your facepaint.

Can his facepaint job be my weapon?

I'm sorry, I just had no idea how to respond. I don't particularly enjoy arguing with an unconquerable meme, and you guys seemed to have the "pro" side well covered.

+1

That was a bit frightening (more disturbing and interesting, tho).

UnChosenOne
2009-09-04, 01:23 AM
I would took a Crossbow for main weapon. For backup weapon I motslikely would took a shortsword or dagger.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-09-04, 01:46 AM
I've re-written this post three times; I can't decide! Depends which flavor of character I want to be that day. Also it would depend on my abilities being much better than they are today, or I'd just get myself into trouble. I see nobody has mentioned quarterstaff yet. Whatever the case, I would at least have some sort of small blade for portability/concealability/use in tight quarters.

As an aside, does D&D ever address the concept of fighting in quarters that are too cramped for using a longsword, where a dagger would actually be a better choice?

Innis Cabal
2009-09-04, 01:59 AM
Music. Of course. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Ky5R-vxns)

V'icternus
2009-09-04, 02:00 AM
Depends what live I lived, but I'd probably go with Katana, Broadsword or Rapier...

Cruved blades just work for me, Broadswords are just nice to swing around, and Rapiers have that nice *swish* to them

thubby
2009-09-04, 02:31 AM
dual pata (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pata_(sword)), or on a more thematically appealing answer, clawed gauntlets. i prefer light weapons for the greater control, and what better than a surrogate hand?

Bouregard
2009-09-04, 02:33 AM

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bull**** that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon) 1d12 Damage 19-20 x4 Crit +2 to hit and damage Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon) 2d10 Damage 17-20 x4 Crit +5 to hit and damage Counts as Masterwork

tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.

That is quite right, but for $20.000 it's quite possible to equip a few dozen troops with Bastard Swords. It's economical vs. elitist. And I'm usually more the minion type...
"Fine, you're an expert in one on one combat. Have fun fighting my 200 minions."

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan?

You're sure that 4000 km of hostile territory between them are not the reason? I mean today thats not a big problem... but if you have to order your reinforcements and they will arrive in a year... that usually spoils a good war.

I will go for the humble crossbow. And add in a halbert and a trusty dagger for good measure.

V'icternus
2009-09-04, 02:46 AM
Yeah, it's all relative...

One awesome guy vs. five lousy mooks?

...Actually, in D&D, the one awesome guy could probably kill over fifty lousy mooks without being knocked out...

raitalin
2009-09-04, 03:56 AM
First of all, a couple points:

If you are not heavily, and I mean heavily trained in the use of dual weapons you will always be outclassed by someone with a single weapon, even more so if you aren't ambidextrous.

The sharper a weapon is, the more likely it is that it will quickly dull or break. And things like scalpels or razors will only administer flesh wounds unless, again, you are highly skilled in their use.

With that in mind I'd certainly take a shortbow as a ranged weapon. The longbow's range is frequently unnecessary and its size makes it more cumbersome for quick drawing and firing.

For a melee weapon I'm partial to the Chinese longsword. Similar to the European longsword it is thinner, lighter and flexible, more intended to divert blows instead of blocking them entirely and capable of some unexpected movement.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-04, 04:41 AM
Probably a naginata or glaive, to be honest.
As well as having some pretty heavy training with a dagger.

Crossblade
2009-09-04, 04:47 AM
I'm a little disappointed that everyone jumped on the katana band wagon. Lack of originality imo. I'm also surprised my choice was also picked.

I'd choose a katar; though I must say, I was always disappointed that it only ever got 1d4 damage in 3.5. (Punching Dagger)

Especially when it can be made to be like this:

http://www.trueswords.com/images/prod/c/cmaz_540.jpg
Piercing Damage? I'd say Slashing is better suited for this thing!

raitalin
2009-09-04, 04:55 AM
I'd choose a katar; though I must say, I was always disappointed that it only ever got 1d4 damage in 3.5. (Punching Dagger)

Especially when it can be made to be like this:

http://www.trueswords.com/images/prod/c/cmaz_540.jpg
Piercing Damage? I'd say Slashing is better suited for this thing!

As far as practicality goes, that looks awful.

Nevermind the all-metal construction digging into your forearm.

Nevermind the difficulty in training to get use from all those extraneous blades.

Nevermind that it looks damn heavy to be swinging around in one hand.

If someone slashes down the middle, you're out a couple of fingers.

The punching dagger in itself is a fine weapon, however.

onasuma
2009-09-04, 04:57 AM
Personally, I always use bastard hammers when larping. Ok, I occasionally swap out for a mace or short sword, but hammers are the way to go. Especially if they have a pick side for sharp damage on those damn oozes.

Crossblade
2009-09-04, 05:16 AM
As far as practicality goes, that looks awful.
Nevermind the all-metal construction digging into your forearm.
Nevermind the difficulty in training to get use from all those extraneous blades.
Nevermind that it looks damn heavy to be swinging around in one hand.
If someone slashes down the middle, you're out a couple of fingers.
The punching dagger in itself is a fine weapon, however.

Ok, granted, that katar is purely for intimidation purposes, not practicality.
I would have suggested looking at Voldo's katars:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/soulcalibur/images/f/fb/Manas_and_Ayus_.jpg
But the angles the blades stick out of, always bugged me.

Maybe I've just played too much Ragnarok Online and became too much of a fan of their katars:
http://ro.gameflier.com.my/Action/200933/RO_reload_clip_image006_0001.jpg http://www.roempire.com/database/images/items/big/Katar_of__Raging_Blaze.gif http://images.rocards.de/item/1262.jpg

Is it too much to ask for some sort of Martial Weapon Katar with higher damage than 1d4?:smalltongue:

Athaniar
2009-09-04, 05:18 AM
The katana is something extraordinary, that's for sure. The glaive is also cool. I also like the warglaives from Warcraft (one-handed two-bladed swords), even if they're probably not very effective in real life. The katar is nice, too.

OverdrivePrime
2009-09-04, 05:49 AM
Give me something between the bastard sword and a classic two-hander. I've got years of practice with large blades, and I love a sword that can deliver a devastating 2-handed bow, but is still light and balanced enough to use with one hand if I'm say... climbing a tree or carrying an injured friend.

40" of blade, 49-50" overall length, 4 pounds with the balance about 10 inches down from the crossguard. Make the crossguard curve slightly toward the tip of the blade, and give the blade a good thrusting point. I'm embarrassed to say it, but the design of Glamdring (http://dcl16.nl/dvd/ambiance/lotr/glamdring.jpg) from the LotR movies is just about exactly what I've been looking for.

As a ranged weapon, give me a nice recurved bow with a 75 pound draw. I'll do alright. :smallamused:

Bellepheron
2009-09-04, 06:03 AM
It really depends on my mood. If I feel like being a hero AND a charmer, I'll go with the rapier and speak posh english. If not, mace/longsword and shield works for me!

Chrono22
2009-09-04, 06:25 AM
Spiked full plate armor. That counts as one weapon, right?
Afterward, I'll jack some other person's weapon.

Bellepheron
2009-09-04, 06:28 AM
Spiked full plate armor. That counts as one weapon, right?
Afterward, I'll jack some other person's weapon.

I suppose it would if you charged somebody...

Hoyty
2009-09-04, 09:13 AM
My weapon of choice is.... other people. Why would I want to risk getting hurt? :smallamused:

Xsesiv
2009-09-04, 09:34 AM
Battleaxe. Heavy weight on the end of a long moment to break bones just as well as it chops flesh, and a nice long handle to parry.

Fredthefighter
2009-09-04, 09:53 AM
Battleaxe. Heavy weight on the end of a long moment to break bones just as well as it chops flesh, and a nice long handle to parry.

This. Axes are my favourite weapons. But, considering my physical build, I would probably end up using daggers or going unarmed.

Trog
2009-09-04, 09:57 AM
My weapon of choice is.... other people. Why would I want to risk getting hurt? :smallamused:
Nice. Reminds me of this:

Conan: The riddle... of steel.
Thulsa Doom: Yes! You know what it is, don't you boy? Shall I tell you? It's the least I can do. Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! Look around you. There, on the rocks; a beautiful girl. Come to me, my child... [coaxes the girl to jump to her death]
Thulsa Doom: That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?

UncleWolf
2009-09-04, 09:59 AM
Nice. Reminds me of this:

Conan: The riddle... of steel.
Thulsa Doom: Yes! You know what it is, don't you boy? Shall I tell you? It's the least I can do. Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! Look around you. There, on the rocks; a beautiful girl. Come to me, my child... [coaxes the girl to jump to her death]
Thulsa Doom: That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?

Trog, you just earned all kinds of awesome. Great movie. :smallbiggrin:

Bouregard
2009-09-04, 10:03 AM
Battle Axe is tempting. But I stay true to my little Bastard Sword. Or shortsword or dagger. I'm more the slashy, stabby type.

And Katanas? Pah, that are toys.If you have 20.000€ for a piece of metal, buy a bodyguard or a siegeengine. Economical beats quality every time.

Linkavitch
2009-09-04, 12:17 PM
I would duel-wield one handed shortswords. Maybe scimitars. Just because at the few Dagorhir... whatever they call its I've been to, that's what I used and I kicked butt.

Tharivol123
2009-09-04, 01:16 PM
For range, I would use a crossbow. I'm accurate with a longbow, but without it being a compound bow I would have no real damage potential.

As for close in, I would either take a rapier and fencing dagger, or a battle ready copy of my longsword.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2420/1541700084_af1759ede7.jpg

EleventhHour
2009-09-04, 01:45 PM
And Katanas? Pah, that are toys.If you have 20.000€ for a piece of metal, buy a bodyguard or a siegeengine. Economical beats quality every time.

Katana versus Ballista, round one! FIGHT! *thunk* *air-hiss noise* *Splutch*

BRUTALITY
...round 2!

Hey... man, are you okay? You have a spear-sized bolt sticking out of your chest... alright, I guess your not fighting again today... and niether is this guy that was standing behind you.

:smallbiggrin:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-04, 01:54 PM
Katana versus Ballista, round one! FIGHT! *thunk* *air-hiss noise* *Splutch*

BRUTALITY
...round 2!

Hey... man, are you okay? You have a spear-sized bolt sticking out of your chest... alright, I guess your not fighting again today... and niether is this guy that was standing behind you.

:smallbiggrin:

Eww! You got your intestines on me! D=

*runs away from battle*

Kcalehc
2009-09-04, 02:25 PM
Harsh language count?

Otherwise I'd probably go with an arbalest and a pavise, with a handy knife/dagger as backup.

Jinura
2009-09-04, 02:35 PM
I would use me deception to get other people to kill for me.. That or a longsword and maybe a shield.

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-04, 03:11 PM
Greatsword, as you would call it in D&D. With a firearm side weapon(arm).

Lerky
2009-09-04, 03:36 PM
the dagger would be my choice. Small and agile to make well placed blows, and is perhaps one of the few weapons that can be used as melee or ranged weapon and it's most likely the easiest to conceal.

tribble
2009-09-04, 05:17 PM
Harsh language count?

Otherwise I'd probably go with an arbalest and a pavise, with a handy knife/dagger as backup.

why an arbalest? other models of crossbow are lighter and therefore easier to aim, and quicker to load, too, but not because they're lighter. and you wouldn't be sacrificing much penetration capacity either.

Trodon
2009-09-04, 05:43 PM
My weapons of choice are two swords, scimitars to be exact but not quit as curved as most not sure why but I love two swords.

Edit: Kind of like this http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Scimitar or maybe this one http://media.photobucket.com/image/scimitar/phyreblade_blog/Weapons/Persian%20Warrior%20Scimitar/Persian_Warrior_Scimitar.jpg.

J.Gellert
2009-09-04, 05:57 PM
Long sword and a large shield.

And a warhorse, does it count? :smalltongue:

Shadow_Elf
2009-09-04, 06:00 PM
Double Sword! Woo!

I would totally figure out how it works. And then I would be shanking people with one end while deflecting arrows with the other.

If the general consensus is that its impossible to use, then I've heard good things about rapiers. I would go with a rapier and an empty hand (gloved, though), so I could do some crazy stuff. A buckler is nice, but being able to push blade flats away and guard your neck area more accurately is probab-

Wait! Flash or brilliance!

Weapon of choice: Dual-Wielding Tonfas. There is little more badass than spinning blades/batons of cutting/concussive doom that also make great shields and impromptu two-handed weapons.

Seffbasilisk
2009-09-04, 06:44 PM
With my IRL training and experiance:

Recurved longbow (150lb draw)
Spanish Rapier (Slashing as well as piercing!)

Dashed upon the horrible rocks of combat experiance:

Having lost my glasses, my impeccable aim would devolve into simply "It moves, it dies".
Rapier would still allow me to slaughter those who came at me en masse...though I would have trouble identifying friend from foe...

In a perfect world:
Atal, or simply just hurl the javalins
Longspear to counter charges a la Braveheart
Lucerne Hammer would handle any mounted/armored/not armored/inanimate object targets.

Talwar
2009-09-04, 07:44 PM
The word you are looking for, it is "flamberge". >.>

Also, I am disappointed that you wouldn't use the weapon you named yourself after. v.v

Thankee.

A talwar would be slick, but I assume I'm starting the campaign fresh off the farm (minus the shield, of course). Maybe later, when I've levelled up some and made some coin.

Yulian
2009-09-04, 09:08 PM

I've done some...interesting things for being under 35.

- Yulian

Corathan
2009-09-04, 10:33 PM
Changed my mind. I want these bad boys.
These would work perfectly with my body type. Elegant enough that my dexterity could factor in, and even with my only average strength I could do -ALOT- of damage.

http://www.gungfu.com/pics-general/pics-weapons/weapons-chinese-weapons-wushu-t-wushu-tiger-head-hook-swords.jpg

Anuan
2009-09-04, 10:42 PM
Snap! I didn't even think of hookswords! Stupid Anuan! >_<

Corathan! Join my party, and we shall both be spinning whirlwinds of dooooooom!

Corathan
2009-09-04, 11:30 PM
Agreed! Whats better than someone dual wielding hook swords?

TWO people dual wielding hook swords!

Especially if each sword hooks into a limb, then you get to...

1.Make a wish.
2.Both people pull -REALLY- hard and try to rip the person in half whose unlucky enough to have been caught in that situation in the first place.

And if ripping fails, just hack and slash.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-09-05, 12:14 AM
On Japan:
1. Why would someone from, say, France, march for a decade to Japan if a perfectly acceptable target (say, Corduba or Baghdad) is so much closer?
2. What exactly would Europeans get out of conquering Japan other than conquering Japan? There is absolutely nothing there of interest to anyone who's out to conquer for a reason other than to take all over the world.
3. I'd like to see a samurai try his best to slash through even as much as a reinforced chainmail... Not to mention a plate cuirass. He'd probably have more success swinging a 2x4.
4. Samurai were first and foremost horse archers. Then they used spears... A katana was more of a ceremonial/self defense weapon than anything else.
5. A line of heavy sword infantry supported by light cavalry will kill anything the Japanese can throw at it barring a massive numerical advantage. A sword with which you can stab while hiding behind a big shield is just that good. And a katana is pretty much useless against someone who has a shield. So is pretty much anything that's not heavy cavalry or firearms.

Corathan
2009-09-05, 12:24 AM
Yumi's dont make sense....

Peaches!
2009-09-05, 12:28 AM
Long sword and a large shield.

And a warhorse, does it count? :smalltongue:

Mounts ALWAYS count for weapons.
Thats why at the beginning of a campaign, spend all your money on a Donkey and a Club.

chiasaur11
2009-09-05, 12:29 AM
Wait.

Remembered the best weapon in a DnD world, filled with monsters.

A fireplace poker. It's perfect, really. Add a blanket, and you're golden.

Yarram
2009-09-05, 12:29 AM
I've always liked the idea of heavy spears and glaives, mainly because of the reach...
As a backup weapon I'd go with a simple dirk.

The_JJ
2009-09-05, 12:49 AM
Raipier/dagger. Screw armor plating and mud, I'm high tailing to the nearest city-states and wooing high born ladies.

Failing that option, a gillysuit and a well built crossbow would be nice.

ondonaflash
2009-09-05, 01:06 AM
Gotta have me a rapier, preferably with a viscante grip, and maybe a parrying dagger, but I don't like to bring my left side forwards. Or hell, maybe just a nice spear, it takes about three times the amount of skill for a swordsman to beat a spearman.

Hell Puppi
2009-09-05, 01:33 AM
Recurve bow...because I actually know how to use one, with a dagger for backup.

Anything else and I'd probably end up hurting myself more than the other guy.

skywalker
2009-09-05, 02:08 AM
First of all, a couple points:

If you are not heavily, and I mean heavily trained in the use of dual weapons you will always be outclassed by someone with a single weapon, even more so if you aren't ambidextrous.

I'm unconvinced. Musashi was adamant that everyone should carry and use two weapons, and of course, Kali starts by training you to use two weapons. The logic is that it's incredibly stupid to go into battle with two empty hands, and it's only marginally less stupid to go into battle with one empty hand.

For a melee weapon I'm partial to the Chinese longsword. Similar to the European longsword it is thinner, lighter and flexible, more intended to divert blows instead of blocking them entirely and capable of some unexpected movement.

The problem with that sword, in my opinion, is that it isn't going to be doing much diverting of something heavy like a hammer. The blade is too thin and you can only get one hand on the damned thing.

Give me something between the bastard sword and a classic two-hander. I've got years of practice with large blades, and I love a sword that can deliver a devastating 2-handed bow, but is still light and balanced enough to use with one hand if I'm say... climbing a tree or carrying an injured friend.

So, uh... A bastard sword?

Anuan
2009-09-05, 02:50 AM
Yumi's dont make sense....

Sure they do. They're just another style of long bow.
I've seen a japanese archer using a yumi hit a target in both eyes in two shots from...I think it was 30 feet out?

Corathan
2009-09-05, 03:25 AM
Iim just talking about how they look :P

Deadliest Warrior with the samurai vs Viking was pretty good imho.

Felixaar
2009-09-05, 03:48 AM
For me it would be something simple. Probably a simple shortsword to start with, but I wouldn't say no to something a bit bigger, either. I'd also be interested in trying out a two-handed combo of a rapier and something with a little less finesse - you know, distract with one arm, strike with the other.

thubby
2009-09-05, 03:53 AM
I'm unconvinced. Musashi was adamant that everyone should carry and use two weapons, and of course, Kali starts by training you to use two weapons. The logic is that it's incredibly stupid to go into battle with two empty hands, and it's only marginally less stupid to go into battle with one empty hand.

someone with a single weapon is using it with a shield or in both hands, both of which are easier to do and usually more effective than 2 weapons.

Ceric
2009-09-05, 04:06 AM
I'd love to use a guandao. Secondary weapon would be with a crossbow. Or throwing axes, those are cool too. Or a chain whip (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_whip)!

IRL, I'd probably end up with a spear for its range. Secondary weapon, crossbow.

Darius Midnite
2009-09-05, 06:37 AM
Dual wielded daggers has always been a favorite of mine, though I've always fancied spears too.

OverdrivePrime
2009-09-05, 07:19 AM
So, uh... A bastard sword?

Well yeah. :smalltongue:
I just included a little more detail because it's hard to find them sized up for me. There are plenty of two-handers out there that I'd be comfortable using as a bastard sword if the point of balance was shifted a bit more toward the crossguard... and didn't have 14 freakin' inches of grip.
Sword: it's not a hercules club.

Hyozo
2009-09-05, 07:29 AM
For some reason I am slightly obsessed with the macuahuitl. Probably has something to do with that decapitation thing.

Raz_Fox
2009-09-05, 07:42 AM
A schianova. Moves like the beautiful child of a rapier and a broadsword, with a nasty tip yet still has sharpened sides. Assuming that I'd learn how to swordfight with it.

Erloas
2009-09-05, 08:43 AM

It sounds like a Chineese or Japanese name, and things were different there for a lot of reasons. For one, metal was too rare to make things like shields and armor out of so the function and development of weapons was a lot different.

A lot of the weapons from those areas would only be marginally useful against well armored opponents, and not just full plate armor, but a lot of various types of armor. It wasn't that Europeans couldn't make a sharp blade like the Asians did, it was that they realized fairly quickly that it wasn't a weapon design direction that would be effective. Especially since even a short battle would completely destroy a fine edged blade when you are hitting against armor.

So to bypass armor in most cases what you need is excessive force, because while it is true that almost all practical armor will have holes in it, those holes are in places that are incrediably difficult to get places if your opponent has any idea of what they are doing.

An offhand weapon is a lot more fineese and it would be very hard to generate enough power to bypass much armor. Even the primary weapon is going to be at a disadvantage because you don't have a free hand to add extra strength to the blow and because the method of fighting is more complex to begin with.
Also anyone with a shield can easily block one or both weapons with minimal effort, where as it takes a lot more speed and effort to block shots with a weapon, especially a lighter weapon.
Against a polearm or spear of various types, they are much easier to block then they are to parry, and the ones swung with force rather then stabbed generally have way too much force to stop with a one handed blade. Same goes for most other large 2-handed weapons. Those weapons also have defensive issues, but being 2-handed and generally with a long handle, they can be used to block much more effectively because you can get leverage behind the block.

As for practical experience, I have been doing SCA for ~10 years (though not as much as I would like). While its true the way the SCA fights isn't historically accurate, it is a lot more accurate then many other things. It is very rare for people to fight with two swords in the SCA just because it isn't effective. Some people can do decent with it, especially if the opponent isn't used to fighting against it, but in most situations the dual weilder is at a disadvantage. A lot of people try it but few stick with it as more then a fun gimmick every once in a while. A shield is more useful tool in so many situations.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-05, 08:54 AM
First choice:

The Hammer of Infinite Head-Smacking

Second choice:

The Mallet of Unending Face-Whacking

Third choice:

The Crowbar of "You ain't seen nothin', got it? Now move along"

KnightDisciple
2009-09-05, 10:10 AM
It sounds like a Chineese or Japanese name, and things were different there for a lot of reasons. For one, metal was too rare to make things like shields and armor out of so the function and development of weapons was a lot different.

A lot of the weapons from those areas would only be marginally useful against well armored opponents, and not just full plate armor, but a lot of various types of armor. It wasn't that Europeans couldn't make a sharp blade like the Asians did, it was that they realized fairly quickly that it wasn't a weapon design direction that would be effective. Especially since even a short battle would completely destroy a fine edged blade when you are hitting against armor.

So to bypass armor in most cases what you need is excessive force, because while it is true that almost all practical armor will have holes in it, those holes are in places that are incrediably difficult to get places if your opponent has any idea of what they are doing.

An offhand weapon is a lot more fineese and it would be very hard to generate enough power to bypass much armor. Even the primary weapon is going to be at a disadvantage because you don't have a free hand to add extra strength to the blow and because the method of fighting is more complex to begin with.
Also anyone with a shield can easily block one or both weapons with minimal effort, where as it takes a lot more speed and effort to block shots with a weapon, especially a lighter weapon.
Against a polearm or spear of various types, they are much easier to block then they are to parry, and the ones swung with force rather then stabbed generally have way too much force to stop with a one handed blade. Same goes for most other large 2-handed weapons. Those weapons also have defensive issues, but being 2-handed and generally with a long handle, they can be used to block much more effectively because you can get leverage behind the block.

As for practical experience, I have been doing SCA for ~10 years (though not as much as I would like). While its true the way the SCA fights isn't historically accurate, it is a lot more accurate then many other things. It is very rare for people to fight with two swords in the SCA just because it isn't effective. Some people can do decent with it, especially if the opponent isn't used to fighting against it, but in most situations the dual weilder is at a disadvantage. A lot of people try it but few stick with it as more then a fun gimmick every once in a while. A shield is more useful tool in so many situations.

skywalker is speaking of Miyamoto Musashi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi), author of The Book of Five Rings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Five_Rings).

He was one of the top swordsmen ever. He was also and advocate of "do what works, not what's fancy". While he emphasizes using 2 swords simultaneously, he does say more than once that whether someone is using 1 sword, 2 swords, a spear, a bow, whatever, the principles of his teaching apply. It's really a fascinating read.

He's certainly beaten enough people in his life that we shouldn't just dismiss him.

DarkLightDragon
2009-09-05, 10:58 AM
I always see myself wielding a greatsword. Not one of those outrageously huge ones (yes, Cloud, I am looking at you!), but something more in proportion to my size.

Swinging around a big two-handed sword is a freakin' awesome mental image in my opinion.

I like swords.

OverdrivePrime
2009-09-05, 11:00 AM
skywalker is speaking of Miyamoto Musashi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi), author of The Book of Five Rings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Five_Rings).

He was one of the top swordsmen ever. He was also and advocate of "do what works, not what's fancy". While he emphasizes using 2 swords simultaneously, he does say more than once that whether someone is using 1 sword, 2 swords, a spear, a bow, whatever, the principles of his teaching apply. It's really a fascinating read.

He's certainly beaten enough people in his life that we shouldn't just dismiss him.Musashi is certainly worthy of respect, and his advice carries a lot of weight. However, Musashi was also something of a paragon and seemed to be instinctively capable of techniques and tactics that were light years beyond his peers. To me, some of Musashi's teachings are like Wolverine trying to impart advice on how to heal faster. The basics might be useful ideas, but most people simply can't take advantage of more than that.

That said, I'm about as far from ambidextrous as possible, and yet with some practice, was still able to become halfway compete with paired escrima sticks after a few weeks of rigorous training. I'll never be Jeff Speakman, but with more practice I could at least benefit from his teaching.

/just sayin'

mikej
2009-09-05, 11:01 AM
Katana, simply elegant and a symbol of martial warfare. I also like the spear for some reason.

KnightDisciple
2009-09-05, 11:09 AM
Musashi is certainly worthy of respect, and his advice carries a lot of weight. However, Musashi was also something of a paragon and seemed to be instinctively capable of techniques and tactics that were light years beyond his peers. To me, some of Musashi's teachings are like Wolverine trying to impart advice on how to heal faster. The basics might be useful ideas, but most people simply can't take advantage of more than that.

That said, I'm about as far from ambidextrous as possible, and yet with some practice, was still able to become halfway compete with paired escrima sticks after a few weeks of rigorous training. I'll never be Jeff Speakman, but with more practice I could at least benefit from his teaching.

/just satin'

I'm not saying he's the be-all, end-all myself. Just that he does know a bit about what he's speaking of. Maybe his exact level of skill is hard to attain, but certainly some level of it can't be impossible. *shrugs*

And again, in his book, he's a big advocate of "use the weapon set that works best for you".

Swordguy
2009-09-05, 11:17 AM
Detail the armor I'm likely to face in said fantasy world please. That's going to be the deciding factor - a katana or arming sword is not going to be cutting through plate armor, wielded 2-handed or no.

If you need to use D&D armor types, I can extrapolate from there, so that's fine.

tribble
2009-09-05, 11:20 AM
On Japan:
1. Why would someone from, say, France, march for a decade to Japan if a perfectly acceptable target (say, Corduba or Baghdad) is so much closer?
2. What exactly would Europeans get out of conquering Japan other than conquering Japan? There is absolutely nothing there of interest to anyone who's out to conquer for a reason other than to take all over the world.
3. I'd like to see a samurai try his best to slash through even as much as a reinforced chainmail... Not to mention a plate cuirass. He'd probably have more success swinging a 2x4.
4. Samurai were first and foremost horse archers. Then they used spears... A katana was more of a ceremonial/self defense weapon than anything else.
5. A line of heavy sword infantry supported by light cavalry will kill anything the Japanese can throw at it barring a massive numerical advantage. A sword with which you can stab while hiding behind a big shield is just that good. And a katana is pretty much useless against someone who has a shield. So is pretty much anything that's not heavy cavalry or firearms.

This (http://chiyonotpleased.ytmnd.com/) is all I have to say to people who keep making serious responses to what I have repeatedly explained to be a joke. (warning foul language)

Spiryt
2009-09-05, 11:36 AM
Detail the armor I'm likely to face in said fantasy world please. That's going to be the deciding factor - a katana or arming sword is not going to be cutting through plate armor, wielded 2-handed or no.

If you need to use D&D armor types, I can extrapolate from there, so that's fine.

Come on, serious analysis in such threads are quite a waste IMHO. And I've seen quite a bit of them - even if you get some points, someone will enter and say "I would want hussars helm and katana and pillum and whip as secondary weapon". :smallwink:

Anyway I think I would want big roman style shield, and of course, roman style gladius.

To bash, hook, charge, and most importantly cover behind to get close for brutal very short range.
It is very effective in any mass battle, and would be also quite effective in standard fantasy quest for Yeti's Husk or whatever. Shield is a bit bitchy to carry, but Romans shown that carrying it around for big distances isn't at all undoable.

And lastly, even complete wimp like me, can, with some chance of succes cover behind mass of the shield, and try to stab from close.

Which cannot be said about wielding say, any two handed sword be it longsword or landsknecht bihander.

Erloas
2009-09-05, 12:11 PM

He's certainly beaten enough people in his life that we shouldn't just dismiss him.

Well a big part of my point was that it depends what you are facing. Dual wielding may have been a great idea dueling other people in asia with similiar armor and weapons. Chances are it simply wouldn't have been an effective technique, even by him, if he was facing an opponent in good armor with decent skill.

How it would work in a melee is another question too. Because fighting one on one or just a few on a few is completely different then fighting with large groups of people and what works best in one situation will seldom be nearly as effective in another.

ondonaflash
2009-09-05, 12:15 PM
I want my Day-Glo (TM) Orange Sword of Smackin' Bitches.

Spiryt
2009-09-05, 12:21 PM
Well a big part of my point was that it depends what you are facing. Dual wielding may have been a great idea dueling other people in asia with similiar armor and weapons. Chances are it simply wouldn't have been an effective technique, even by him, if he was facing an opponent in good armor with decent skill.

How it would work in a melee is another question too. Because fighting one on one or just a few on a few is completely different then fighting with large groups of people and what works best in one situation will seldom be nearly as effective in another.

Sir, but they had some really good armor (and covering a lot, too) in Asia. At some many points they were more heavily "ironed" than similar combatants in Europe. Article for example (http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_jpn_armour.html).

They really weren't running around in white pyjamas like Samurai Jack, pardon the joke.

I really don't think that european swords were really less sharp on average, especially cutting ones.

I of course agree on your main point, though. AFAIK if you have some other choice, running around with two blades is rather bad idea.

Especially if around many people are swinging various polearms, trampling each other, charging with shield or lance, firing missiles and so on.

Kurien
2009-09-07, 12:56 PM

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about armour and weapons or their history. Honestly, many of you guys sound like you know more about what you're talking about than me. However, I will attempt to loosely describe the type of armours I imagine.

I'm thinking that metal is not abundant. It's not scarce, but there's little enough of it that people use it primarily for tools (knives, plows, machetes, hammers, chisels etc.) and weapons. (I'm thinking there is a nation where sources of ore are easier to find and extraction techniques are more advanced. This nation ((perhaps found on a group of islands)) is thus the metal capital of the world.)

Because of a lack of metal, many armours are made from toughened hide and leather, and maybe plates of hardwood. I'm thinking that a few armourers do make metal plate armour and mail, but at an exorbitant cost. Only very few individuals can afford these armours, (or somehow steal them) so the average warrior isn't going to encounter many wearing this armour often.

I also think that silk from silk worms may be coming into use, having recently been discovered by some humans as a strong material both for everyday clothes and padded armour. I've heard that some real world countries use silk in bullet proof vests, but I do doubt its effectiveness in stopping edged weapons. it may be able to stop high velocity blunt objects (bullets) with small mass, but what about low speed sharp objects with a person's bodyweight put into the blow?

I am also thinking that in this fantasy world there so happens to exist a species of spider that lives in colonies and produces enough silk to weave a garment. I'm not sure, but I think spider silk is stronger than worm silk.

littlequietguy
2009-09-07, 01:39 PM
I have a foam swashbuckler sword that I get no end of enjoyment from so I would say swashbuckler to maximize my ability to buckle swash.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-09-07, 02:47 PM
1) Kusari-Gama (Oriental Adventures DND 3.5). Just for the coolness.

2) Ripper Chain (the Quintessential Drow). This is effectively a spiked chain, only it does more damage (2d6) and is slashing (instead of piercing). Evil, evil weapon. Sooo much fun though.

3) Earthbreaker (Pathfinder "Rise of the Runelords" campaign). 2 handed hammer the size of Schwartzenegger's (sp?) chest.

4) Spear of Bitter Mercy from Morrowind (specifically). Possibly the most beautifully designed spear in any game, ANY that I have ever played. Plus it summons Storm Atronauchs (Air elementals in DND terms). Anyone who has played Morrowind and received this weapon from Shegorath has not come away... changed...

Hannes
2009-09-07, 03:07 PM
Um. How many can I have?

Probably a polearm or spear, a halberd or a glaive I guess, a flail, a shield and a sword. Oh, and the shield must be such that I could strap it on my back.

Faulty
2009-09-07, 03:55 PM
Maybe a rapier or a longsword. I'd like something that is finesseable and sizeable, but slashes, not pokes.

Navi_halfbeast
2009-09-07, 04:09 PM
My favorite type of melee weapon would have to be a Jian (The jian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jian) is a double-edged straight sword used during the last 2,500 years in China). As for ranged weapons I'd have to go with a simple longbow.

I have one of each weapon at my house and I love practicing with them, especially my bamboo longbow.

Flickerdart
2009-09-07, 04:17 PM
A rapier, sadly, is retarded in a D&D-style fantasy setting where plate mail is a real concern. Which is a shame because it's got so much style.

I'd probably either go with a short sword (so it's light enough to hack at stuff for a while) or a spear (to keep the dudes with pointy sticks away from me). Maybe a sabre, those things are cool too.

DrakebloodIV
2009-09-07, 04:40 PM
If I could I would probably go with double Sabres. Just because they're vicious. But I suppose a safer method would be a halberd or other polearm.

KilltheToy
2009-09-07, 05:00 PM
I'd go with a spear. It's all the fun of a staff, but with a nice pointy bit on the end for extra stabbing action.

Anuan
2009-09-07, 08:12 PM
A rapier, sadly, is retarded in a D&D-style fantasy setting where plate mail is a real concern. Which is a shame because it's got so much style.

D&D style fantasy world. Remember that in D&D style fantasy worlds this armour can easy fail against a rapier, because, y'know...it's the hero's rapier.
also, savingthrows.
Also, it's said earlier that in this fantasy world you're unlikely to meet platemail.

Kurien
2009-09-07, 09:04 PM
I came across a picture of the spear used by a character in the film Hellboy II: The Golden Army. Picture of the spear on this webpage (http://www.alteregocomics.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=5156). What I like about this weapon is that it can extend the to the length of a regular spear, making it much more portable in its compact form. Although it looks cool, my concern with it is that, being a double edged weapon, its utility seems limited to fighting. I like a weapon that could be used to chop wood or do other tasks. Hence an axe or tomahawk. A small knife is a must.

Um. How many can I have?

Probably a polearm or spear, a halberd or a glaive I guess, a flail, a shield and a sword. Oh, and the shield must be such that I could strap it on my back.

Are you going to hire a squire of some sort to carry your extra weapons? 'Cause I can't see someone carrying all that everywhere in their travels.

Lupy
2009-09-07, 09:25 PM
One that I can pick up and use for some length of time.

So we're looking at a dagger, maybe a spatha.

Thrawn183
2009-09-07, 10:00 PM
Machete and a hatchet. Not necessarily at the same time, mind you. But I'm good with hatchets, clubs and machetes. I'll stay away from the long blades because I just don't know how to use them efficiently.

Hannes
2009-09-08, 12:06 AM
Are you going to hire a squire of some sort to carry your extra weapons? 'Cause I can't see someone carrying all that everywhere in their travels.
So. Strap flail on belt, strap sword on belt, strap shield on back, carry polearm. Tada!

Spooky
2009-09-08, 09:37 PM
Probably a naginata. It's got range, which is good, plus you can wield it more like a staff if you want, which for me is also good.

Possibly something along the lines of this. (http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn187/spooky316/glaive.jpg)

*In a fantasy setting, this would preferably include all noted abilities. :smallsmile:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-08, 09:39 PM
Every time I see this thread, I am reminded of something thought up by my best friend's cousin.

A suit of armor made of outward-facing chainsaws...and rocket skates.

"It doesn't have to be subtle...as long as it's unstoppable!"

Shevarash's_Son
2009-09-08, 09:42 PM
yay katana, i dont see how you could weild a katana in one hand two handed.
and belly bow basically a crossbow that you need a crank for

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-08, 09:44 PM
yay katana, i dont see how you could weild a katana in one hand two handed.
and belly bow basically a crossbow that you need a crank for

...you lost me here.

Katanas are intended for two hand use, but you can definitely use one one-handed. How WELL you can do that depends on you. I know I sure can't (but then, my swordsmanship skills have always been questionable at best).

...don't ALL crossbows require a crank to reload/wind back the arms?

zeratul
2009-09-08, 09:47 PM
I'll go with weapons I'm already good with. Shield and broadsword as my primary combination. with a pair of kabars (I don't care if it's fantasy and the kabar is a modern knife, they kick ass so I'm using 'em :smalltongue:) as my side arms.

Yulian
2009-09-08, 10:39 PM
For some reason I am slightly obsessed with the macuahuitl. Probably has something to do with that decapitation thing.

I did mention obsidian being surgically sharp, as I recall.

Freaking obsidian cutting surfaces on a big ol' cricket bat.

That hurts just thinking about. The lacerations would be nightmarish. However, almost useless against armour. The glass will shatter and snap off against metal, mail, or even strong wood. It worked so well for the South Americans cultures that used it because they couldn't really make much in the way of armour.

Isn't half-handing a single, long sword a way to cope with that? Not an ideal way, but something usable at least? Get your offhand halfway up that sucker and jab at the joints and openings, as I recall.

But yeah, force and reach win it. There's a reason armies were composed of archers and guys with spears, with cavalry being a special-purpose attachment. Heck, I can't think of very many ancient military formations that don't involve infantry with spears.

But as for katanas, they were developed in a metal-poor region of the world. For armour, they started with bronze, then moved to brass...lamellar, I think? You could get lacquered iron, if you were rich, but iron is heavy, so only parts of armour was made from it. Some of it alternated iron and leather. Arms were often mostly unarmoured to allow movement.

The only mail I can find didn't happen until the 16th century, called a "Haramaki". It covered the belly in the front only.

So a katana pretty much never had to go up against a mailed hauberk or the thicker, steel helmets even footsoldiers could get. People do not design weapons that do a lot more than they would have to, because that costs time, money, and raw materials you don't have to use. If the toughest armour you're ever going to see on a battlefield is partial iron, you don't need a weapon like a halberd to damage the person wearing it.

...don't ALL crossbows require a crank to reload/wind back the arms?

Many are built to allow for manual cocking, they have a stirrup on the front you stand in to hold it down. But they're weaker compared to crankable ones.

- Yulian

badam104172
2009-09-08, 10:42 PM
50 caliber barret sniper rifle and a katana. also, a wazikashi bayonet for the rifle.

Grim ranger
2009-09-09, 01:34 AM
Two-handed katana. My other favourite is two longswords

OverdrivePrime
2009-09-09, 05:55 AM
Two-handed katana.
:smallconfused: A nodachi?

druid91
2009-09-09, 07:00 AM
I would want bottles of Greek-fire.

Anuan
2009-09-09, 07:37 AM
All katana are two-handed, though sometimes used in more of a bastard-esque way. Mayhap he means a nodachi, sure.

Also woooo greek fire.

Gamerlord
2009-09-09, 01:56 PM
Great axe with a hint of chainsaw.

Xefas
2009-09-09, 06:11 PM
This is a fantasy setting right? And not a historical one?

That's easy.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/bluejanus/2410.jpg

Completely unfeasible, ridiculously gigantic and heavy two-handed hammer.

I'll survive simply by virtue of looking like a main character, and thus subject to plot immunity. I wield this hammer not with my non-existent upper body strength, but with genre savviness. And also possibly divine magic.

lord of kobolds
2009-09-09, 07:14 PM
I'm thinking probably a spiked chain or a quarterstaff. Anything with a lot of whirling motions where you need to keep up the momentum.

Zain
2009-09-09, 07:53 PM
i would go with the Romain army set-up, large shield, gladiolus, pilum (large heavy javelins that are 1/2 iron 1/2 wood and keep that other shield/other sword down) and my trusty legion, :smallwink: (and balistas:smallbiggrin:)

GallóglachMaxim
2009-09-09, 08:47 PM
Two short, single-edged swords, (bolo or similar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bolo_ni_Max.JPG) not necessarily to be used at the same time, but so that I have one avaliable for whichever hand is most appropriate at the time (yes, I've trained with each hand and both hands, although I still favour my right). Plus a dagger with a narrow blade, and a shield in case of ranged attackers. I'd consider a recurve bow of some sort but it'd take a lot of practice before I was using it effectively, need to get my right shoulder muscles built up.

druid91
2009-09-09, 09:28 PM
All katana are two-handed, though sometimes used in more of a bastard-esque way. Mayhap he means a nodachi, sure.

Also woooo greek fire.

Is that woo greek fire is shiny and cool, or woo greek fire thats going to work<sarcasm>?

RandomNPC
2009-09-09, 09:52 PM
I'm in for a five and a half foot long bladed spear. I'm decent with a quarterstaf, and its got a blade on it, yeay for knives!. Also a powerfull heavy crossbow for when i get the drop on people who deserve it.

skywalker
2009-09-09, 10:27 PM

That's easy.

I'll survive simply by virtue of looking like a main character, and thus subject to plot immunity. I wield this hammer not with my non-existent upper body strength, but with genre savviness. And also possibly divine magic.

I've always thought the 4e Bard's power source should've been "genre savvy."

Yulian
2009-09-10, 02:13 AM

That's easy.

Oh fine, if we're going to be unrealistic about it.

Hmm...ah-ha.

ALL HAIL THE RULER OF THE DEMENSE OF DUSK!

With his hungry, demonic blade, Malhavoc:
http://www.nightmarefactory.com/DG14594.jpg

And his necromantic axe, Widderslainte.

http://www.nightmarefactory.com/DG14435.jpg

If I'm a stylish enough warrior of darkness and not the Dark Lord proper I can make it to the end of the series and maybe even escape to be the vague "future threat" to the heroes.

Or, depending on the type of story, the forces of darkness are capable of winning the day, especially if I can have great conversations with the heroes about moral relativism and how their actions are actually perpetuating a harmful status quo and their naivete' cannot save them from the inevitable consequences of their poorly thought-out quest. Might even convert a few.

I can carry the look too. 6'3", long black hair, broad shoulders and chest.

Oh yes, all items available this season from The Nightmare Factory: http://www.nightmarefactory.com/shop/ Go to "Props" then "Weapon Props".

- Yulian

Anuan
2009-09-10, 07:25 AM
Is that woo greek fire is shiny and cool, or woo greek fire thats going to work<sarcasm>?

Greek fire is awesome.
Then again, how many bottles? Or perhaps magical bottles that never run out?

druid91
2009-09-10, 07:58 AM
That would be awesome, A decanter of endless Greek fire.:smallbiggrin:

Thatguyoverther
2009-09-10, 07:59 AM
A 12lb sledgehammer, with a fiberglass handle to avoid splintering. As a matter of fact I have one in my trunk. You know, in case of zombies.

TheBibliophile
2009-09-10, 09:17 AM
A longsword and a wakizashi. Nice culture clash there, I know.

Gullara
2009-09-10, 12:15 PM
Weapon of choice, eh? First picture me, a 8 foot tall half orc barbarian:smallfurious: (this doesn't actually reflect my physical appearance, I'd probably make a better half elf ranger but what the heck), now picture my greataxe, massive, heavy, and wicked sharp. That is my weapon of choice.

DarkLightDragon
2009-09-10, 11:22 PM
Or, for the truly badass:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/kingdomhearts/images/thumb/4/41/Zexion_Days.png/200px-Zexion_Days.png

Fear the almighty power of the book!

TheBibliophile
2009-09-11, 07:13 AM
Actually, you know what? I've changed my mind. I want a longsword, and twin revolver-crossbows in leg holsters.

I think I probably made up the crossbows, but you gotta admit it would be cool!

Moonshadow
2009-09-11, 07:35 AM
2 shortswords, I reckon. Dual weapon fighting has always intrigued me.

Eloel
2009-09-11, 07:53 AM
Weapons you say?
Shortbow.
I've always loved mounted archery :)
And a scimitar, everyone loves scimitars.

Ecalsneerg
2009-09-11, 08:47 AM
Four flintlock pistols and a pair of daggers. Failing the pistols, give me a couple of hand crossbows. Repeating if possible. I want light, smallish and practical dammit! Wait... I could have a skean dhu in each sock, and some daggers weighted for throwing.

This is what a Scotsman has under his kilt. Enough weapons to kick your butt!

pendell
2009-09-11, 10:06 AM
What am I facing?

Let's start with basic Greek hoplite kit: Bronze armor, shield, spear, and dagger. The great thing about a spear is that things happen at the other end i.e. a long way away. I'll wager the additional reach will give me an advantage against people armed with swords. The dagger is for if the spear breaks or the bad guy gets in under the spear's reach.

If the opposition has gunpowder weapons, eschew armor in favor of a brace of flintlock pistols and a cutlass. The pistol will defeat anyone in armor, while the cutlass will work just fine on unarmored opponents when I run out of ammunition.

Another possibility might be an old-fashioned grenade (from which we get the name 'grenadier' ) -- a cast iron hollow sphere filled with gunpowder. When it goes KA-BOOM, expect a lot of nasty iron bits flying around.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

H. Zee
2009-09-11, 10:29 AM
A single rusty kitchen knife.

Because doing badass things with it is automatically made more badass by how relatively useless the weapon is.

Erloas
2009-09-11, 11:06 AM
Let's start with basic Greek hoplite kit: Bronze armor, shield, spear, and dagger. The great thing about a spear is that things happen at the other end i.e. a long way away. I'll wager the additional reach will give me an advantage against people armed with swords. The dagger is for if the spear breaks or the bad guy gets in under the spear's reach.

Why go with bronze though, the only reason they used it was because that was the best they had. As for a spear, they work great in formations with a lot of people, one on one they loose a lot of their effectiveness. Basically you have 1 stab at someone one on one before they get past the dangerous end of your weapon and kill you. Rarely will you have the time to take advantage of a back-up weapon. Back-up weapons work great in big melees where your opponent can't focus on any single person.

Megatron46
2009-09-11, 02:19 PM
A massive herd of elephants and enough sticky buns to keep them happy for ever!

RandomNPC
2009-09-11, 02:59 PM
i stick by my previous choice but would like to add a thought about spears.

In a group spears are usefull, but one on one they give you the distance advantage and if you've practiced at all you're already going to have that shorter weapon ready for the guy that slips by. I fight with a foam weapons group weekly, i know its not "live steel" and the weights are different, yadda yadda, but if the spear guy doesn't have a side arm ready he deserves the welt he's gonna get from an over ambitious charge.

pendell
2009-09-11, 03:32 PM
Why go with bronze though, the only reason they used it was because that was the best they had.

My understanding is that modern research has demonstrated that bronze is actually superior to iron. The world transitioned to iron from bronze not because iron is superior, but because accessible copper in the ancient world was becoming rare, while mining and other techniques made iron much more common. So the advantage of iron weapons is mass production, not quality.

For a personal weapon, of course, I can afford to pay for the best.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Spiryt
2009-09-11, 03:46 PM
My understanding is that modern research has demonstrated that bronze is actually superior to iron. The world transitioned to iron from bronze not because iron is superior, but because accessible copper in the ancient world was becoming rare, while mining and other techniques made iron much more common. So the advantage of iron weapons is mass production, not quality.

For a personal weapon, of course, I can afford to pay for the best.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

It may be superior to iron, in some aplications, but it's certainly worse armor than steel, and is also slightly heavier for the same thickness.

It's resistant to corrosion though, so it maybe not bad for adventurer in some dump godforgotten places.

JinAsias
2009-09-11, 04:01 PM
its my favorite question and still easily one of the most compelling because as soon as I commit to one weapon I start thinking how i'd rather have this one. So I guess it really all depends on a few things.

In terms of just pick up and use sort of weapons, short sword and longbow, something conventional that doesnt take an epic amount of skill to be better than the other guy.

However if I had years to learn a skill or could place about 10 skill points in any preferred weapon its a toss between Tonfa or just good old fashioned hand to hand. Although I'd like to keep my ranged option open so I guess no matter what main skill I were to have I'd always like to keep a proficiency in longbow skills.

Erloas
2009-09-11, 04:43 PM
i stick by my previous choice but would like to add a thought about spears.

In a group spears are usefull, but one on one they give you the distance advantage and if you've practiced at all you're already going to have that shorter weapon ready for the guy that slips by. I fight with a foam weapons group weekly, i know its not "live steel" and the weights are different, yadda yadda, but if the spear guy doesn't have a side arm ready he deserves the welt he's gonna get from an over ambitious charge.

Well tried to wield a spear correctly means you can't keep a sidearm in hand at the same time. Of course this example was implied a short spear, which can be wielded one handed, but he also specifically mentioned using a shield, which means you can't have your secondary weapon in that hand either, especially not with the shield types used by the hoplites.

I've also fought SCA a long time against a lot of very good spearmen, although with full 8-9ft spears and glaives rather then the 4-6ft spear, and they have to be really good to stand a chance against any sword and shield person in 1-on-1. I haven't seen too many 4-6ft spears, mostly because it looses a lot of its practicality outside of large groups, thought I've seen a few people do pretty well with it, only being marginally worse off then they were with sword and shield.

Bronze vs steel. Bronze has some advantages to steel in some applications, but armor isn't one of them. Bronze is heavier and it is a lot softer. Being softer means it is going to bend a lot more without breaking, but its almost a non-issue in combat. It would actually be much more susceptible to mass weapons like maces and hammers and two handed swords then iron would be. I would imagine it would also be weaker to piercing weapons too, but I'm not totally sure on that. Being mostly copper based makes it really soft, and anyone who has used copper much knows it doesn't take much force to smash and deform it.

Anuan
2009-09-11, 07:19 PM
If the opposition has gunpowder weapons, eschew armor in favor of a brace of flintlock pistols and a cutlass. The pistol will defeat anyone in armor, while the cutlass will work just fine on unarmored opponents when I run out of ammunition.

Another possibility might be an old-fashioned grenade (from which we get the name 'grenadier'

Flintlock pistols only have one shot. If you miss, it's gonna get nasty. They've also proven (along with Grenados) to be pretty (read: completely) useless against plate armour.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-09-11, 07:26 PM

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/kingdomhearts/images/thumb/4/41/Zexion_Days.png/200px-Zexion_Days.png

Umm. Emo wizards?

No thanks.

Calmness
2009-09-11, 07:34 PM
Tauren totem. Wouldn't last long in a fight but damn would I look awesome. :smallcool:

JinAsias
2009-09-11, 10:06 PM

Aw man how did I miss this on my first look on this page... Organization XIII for the WIN! ok... Appreciation = shown.

druid91
2009-09-11, 10:14 PM
Well tried to wield a spear correctly means you can't keep a sidearm in hand at the same time. Of course this example was implied a short spear, which can be wielded one handed, but he also specifically mentioned using a shield, which means you can't have your secondary weapon in that hand either, especially not with the shield types used by the hoplites.

Isn't the shield used by hoplites a weapon by itself?:smallconfused:

Erloas
2009-09-11, 11:28 PM
Isn't the shield used by hoplites a weapon by itself?:smallconfused:

All shields can be used fairly aggressively/offensively, but I don't know if the hoplite ones where more so. I know some shields had spikes on them, but I don't really think the hoplite shields did. Even so they aren't highly dangerous, at least compared to most weapons, they aren't going to be killing many people even if they can be used to knock someone to the ground. They can also be used to tie up the opponents shield and/or weapon making it easier to kill them with your weapon.

Anuan
2009-09-11, 11:39 PM
The Hoplite's shield actually worked very effectively as a weapon. They were able to lock the shield back and bring it over their shoulder in a strike that could actually do more damage than a spear-thrust, hitting in the skull or throat area. I good lunge with the shield used by Hoplites could also break ribs. Three broken ribs = flail-chest, a situation that can allow your own broken ribs to pierce your lungs and similar.Yes, I do study these things in my free time and yes I do have a decent knowledge of the human body. Yes, I'm a wierdo.

Vizzerdrix
2009-09-11, 11:45 PM
Hmm... A good spear (long or short is fine, but I want it barbed) and a large knife, and a blowgun with poison for range or a crossbow with barbed heads.

Delwugor
2009-09-14, 08:43 AM
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii30/Delwugor/Motivational/DelwugorMotivation.jpg

The battle axe if for close combat. :smallbiggrin:

Hardcore
2009-09-14, 06:00 PM
My latest character, a warrior priestess, has a long-sword blessed by the Godess. With high value for initiative, and being hasted, she will always strike first which should be enough for a disembovelment or something.
No shield. This is the manly way to fight:smallsmile:

PS. using teleport to quickly get into a fight of course:smallbiggrin:
(The famous +30 elven bow is for lazier days)

Lorn
2009-09-15, 04:15 AM
Keeping this fairly realistic...

Depends on what kind of engagement I'd be in as to what would see use, but:

Single-handed spear
Axe
Knife (scramseax) as backup weapon
Round shield
Chainmail byrnie if possible, helm if possible

Axe and knife worn on the belt until needed.

Come to think of it, that's pretty similar to my standard re-enactment arsenal... :smallamused:

Lvl45DM!
2009-09-15, 04:28 AM
Full plate with spiked gauntlets in comb with my black belt training :D
best offense is an awesome defense

horngeek
2009-09-15, 05:00 AM
Spear.

Not the hoplite type, however, but the type you see in wuxia movies.

Because I am far too interested in Exalted at the moment.

Anuan
2009-09-15, 05:12 AM
You mean a Qiang?
http://www.warriorgearonline.com/images/Weapons/Spear,%20Qiang.jpg

horngeek
2009-09-15, 06:33 AM
You mean a Qiang?
http://www.warriorgearonline.com/images/Weapons/Spear,%20Qiang.jpg

Yes.

Yes, I do.

Dieoxide
2009-09-15, 07:58 AM
I'm sure someone has said this, but I don't care,

I would use a +9 to Ogres Ogre Slaying Blade!

Gullara
2009-09-15, 11:59 AM
I've changed my mind. I saw a tv show and in talked about the Huns and how they were the most amazing horse archers of all time because they were pretty much rapid fire archers, so I'd have the bow they use, the amount of training they have, and a fast warhorse.

pendell
2009-09-15, 12:49 PM
Flintlock pistols only have one shot. If you miss, it's gonna get nasty.

That's why you carry more than one. I'm assuming repeating weapons aren't allowed.
Of course the AK-47 is a better choice than any of the above if it's available.

They've also proven (along with Grenados) to be pretty (read: completely) useless against plate armour.

I'm not sure that's true. While armor was demonstrated as being 'proof' against earlier gunpowder weapons in the middle ages, by the 1700-1800s pretty much everyone had eschewed armor on the battlefield, even kings. I can only assume this is because
projectile technology had reached the point where defending against muskets with
metal was no longer feasible in terms of cost or practicality. That is why I specified a 'flintlock' pistol as opposed to a matchlock or wheel lock.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-09-15, 02:13 PM
Vial o'vitriol.

Anuan
2009-09-16, 03:51 AM
I'm not sure that's true. While armor was demonstrated as being 'proof' against earlier gunpowder weapons in the middle ages, by the 1700-1800s pretty much everyone had eschewed armor on the battlefield, even kings. I can only assume this is because
projectile technology had reached the point where defending against muskets with metal was no longer feasible in terms of cost or practicality. That is why I specified a 'flintlock' pistol as opposed to a matchlock or wheel lock.

There isn't enough powder in a flintlock to puncture plate. A blunderbuss will get a few pellets through fatally, but a flintlock bullet bounces off. It's been video recorded.
They're also pretty inaccurate.

pendell
2009-09-16, 09:47 AM
Okay, Anuan, I'll take your word for it. Follow up question, then: Why did plate armor disappear from the battlefields of Europe? IIRC by the 1800s not even the kings of Europe wore armor on the battlefield, and king's protection was usually Spare No Expense Cost Be Dammned.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Spiryt
2009-09-16, 10:02 AM
There had been books written (I suppose) about dissapearing of armor as it's complicated issue (like most things).

Firearms are just one of reasons other are social, logistic, economic, and stuff.

Firstly, pistol in not musket. I would agree that after 1700 most sensible brestplates weren't really good against shots from distance of 100 meters and less.

Against pistols though certainly plate could be good defense, even from close distance.

Secondly, breastplate, helmet and sometimes a bit more of armor was standard equipment of heavy cavalary (http://www.miniart-models.com/HQ_IMAGES/BOX/1_16/16015.jpg) in Napoleonic Wars.

Protection against bullets could be their secondary role, but was certainly possible at greater distances.

thorgrim29
2009-09-16, 03:28 PM
Weapons of choice? A big crossbow with sharp and well balanced quarrels, with a kite sheild and a shortsword for melee, along with a backup german zweihander for when I have too many axes stuck in my sheild for it to be effective. Possibly armor and a war trained horse (and a horse trained me)