PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy 4e: The Red Mage

DiscipleofBob
2009-09-07, 05:04 PM
Okay, so there's a little project I'm undertaking converting the various Final Fantasy settings into 4e. Well, most of the classes can be built using existing 4e classes, but a few are kind of unique and I feel deserve their own unique build. What better place to start than Final Fantasy 1? Fighter and Thief are easy. White Mage can be done with the correct Cleric build or something similar. Black Mage can be either a wizard or a sorcerer. And we have the monk class coming out for the Black Belt. Which leaves the Red Mage.

Now, you can argue that the Red Mage could very easily be a bard, and the bard's probably the closest we have so far, but I don't feel he's quite versatile enough.

So I present to you the Red Mage. His purpose is to be a perfect fifth wheel character that can be built to support really any role, but not overshadow any other class in those roles. Please tell me what you think and of you have suggestions for powers, feats, etc let me know.

CLASS TRAITS:
“This is my magic. There is much in this world like it, but this magic is mine, and that is what makes it unique.”

Role: Any. Depending on how the Red Mage develops his magic, the Red Mage can fulfill the role of defender, striker, leader, or controller.
Power Source: Arcane. The Red Mage learns to cultivate the forces of magic independently with his own signature style, making his magic unique from other spellcasters.
Key Abilities: Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Charisma

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged, Military Ranged
Implements: Orbs, Rods, Staffs, Wands
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex, +1 Will

Hit Points at First Level: 12 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
Healing Surges per Day: 7 + Constitution modifier

Trained Skills: Arcana. From the list below, choose 4 more trained skills at first level: Acrobatics (Dex), Arcana (Int), Athletics (Str), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Dungeoneering (Wis), Heal (Wis), History (Int), Insight (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Perception (Wis), Stealth (Dex), Streetwise (Cha)

Build Options: Battleready Red Mage, Survivor Red Mage

Class Features: Red Sigil, Ritual Caster, Jack of All Trades, Multiclass Specialization

Wizards are taught magic by tomes and their masters. Warlocks get their magic from enigmatic pacts and masters. Sorcerers get their magic from any innate talent and heritage. Red Mages are not born or granted magical power, nor do they learn magic from other sources. A red mage develops their magic by independent study, finding ways to manipulate magic through practice, trial, and error, without any aides such as the studies of wizards or the pacts of greater beings.

The term Red Mage comes as a protest to the concept of magic as being strictly Black Magic or White Magic. Red Mages don't actually refer to their magic as “Red Magic”. Red Mages derrive their name because of the independence associated with the color. Few Red Mages actually refer to themselves as Red Mages, donning whatever moniker they choose to give themselves.

Despite their independence, an informal order has sprung up among Red Mages, one without any formal leadership, but one of mutual respect for creativity and style in magic. When Red Mages gather, and they do so rarely, they do so to compare magics, foster respect amongst one another, and to gain bragging rights. The life of an adventurer is perfectly suitable for a Red Mage, as the constant challenges forces the Red Mage to adapt his style to the needs of the party and become truly great.

CREATING A RED MAGE
When you create a red mage, it's important to remember that you can literally pick any role you like, but you should still pick one to focus in. Strength is important if your Red Mage is a defender-type. Dexterity is more important should you prefer a striker. For leaders, Charisma is the most important stat. If it's a controller you desire, Intelligence should be your primary focus. Probably the largest weakness of the Red Mage is their dependence on multiple attributes.

CLASS FEATURES:

Jack of All Trades: Red Mages get the Jack of All Trades feat for free.
Multiclass Versatility: Red Mages can pick one bonus feat at first level, though the feat must be a multiclass feat and the Red Mage must meet the prerequisites for it. This does not count towards the normal limit for multiclass feats.
Red sigil: The Red Mage uses an arcane signature on his magic to designate them as his own. These sigils are unique in appearance to each Red Mage. When building a Red Mage, select 2 of the following Sigils. Once per turn as a minor action, you can place one Sigil on a target. Only one Sigil can be active at a time. If there is already a Sigil on the target, the new Sigil replaces the old one. If you already have a Sigil active and you use another Sigil, the old Sigil is removed from the target.
Sigil of Protection: This Sigil may be placed on an ally within 5 squares. Enemies who attack the affected target take a -2 to attack.
Sigil of Wrath: This Sigil may be placed on an enemy within 5 squares. Your attacks against the target deal extra damage equal to your Dexterity modifier.
Sigil of Renewal: This Sigil may be placed on an ally within 5 squares. That ally gains temporary HP equal to your Charisma modifier. While the Sigil is active, the affected ally may use their second wind as a free action on their turn.
Sigil of Cunning: This Sigil may be placed on an enemy within 5 squares. Whenever you hit the target with a power with the implement keyword, you may slide the target and any other targets hit by the attack 1 square.
Ritual Caster: Red Mages get the Ritual Caster for free. In addition, a Red Mage the ritual Arcane Mark at any time without cost.

DiscipleofBob
2009-09-07, 05:05 PM
At-Will Powers

Flourishing Parry

At-Will ● Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon
Target: One Creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, plus the target is marked until the end of your next turn.

Energy Conduit

At-Will ● Arcane, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 5
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier damage and the target gains temporary hit points equal to the damage dealt.

Red Burst

At-Will ● Arcane, Implement
Standard Action Area burst 1 within 5 squares
Target: Each enemy in burst.
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier damage.

Sudden Spell

At-Will ● Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Attack: Dexterity vs AC
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.
Special: If you combat advantage against the target, you deal 1d6 extra damage.

Encounter 1

Goading the Bull

Encounter ● Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Special: You can pull the target up to 3 squares before the attack.
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage.

Red Magic Missiles

Encounter ● Arcane, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One or two creatures.
Attack: Intelligence vs Reflex
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier damage.
Special: If you choose to only target one creature instead of two with this attack, this attack deals an extra [W] damage.

Daily 1

Frost Explosion

Daily ● Arcane, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier frost damage and the target is slowed (save ends)
Special: If the target is affected by one of your Sigils, then each enemy adjacent to the target takes 2d6 frost damage and is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Daring Assault

Daily ● Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action Melee
Attack: Dexterity vs AC
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and you can shift 2 squares and make a secondary attack against the original or a different target.
Secondary Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Secondary Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and you can shift 1 square and make a tertiary attack against the original or a different target.
Tertiary Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Tertiary Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.

Mercenary Pen
2009-09-07, 06:15 PM
I was wondering whether there ought to be an increased emphasis on using conventional weapons as implements, considering that, in a number of games where the red mage has appeared, they have not been permitted the use of conventional magical implements...

Maybe you'd prefer to create a paragon path based around that concept though...

Otherwise, looks pretty cool. Might be worth looking up the Wandering Swordmage paragon path from FRPG, which has a similar 'magic from wherever I can get it' theme.

chiasaur11
2009-09-07, 09:48 PM
So, do they rewrite their character sheets in the event of an emergency?

Pramxnim
2009-09-08, 05:44 AM
Sigil of Wrath needs a significant boost if it wants to compete with other Strikers. As it is, it's way too weak.

Sorcerers get either Str or Dex to ALL their powers, without spending an action. This damage scales at higher levels, so their effective damage bonus is 3-12 from heroic to epic. They can potentially get this bonus damage more than once per round, against multiple targets.

Rogues get on average 7 (9) damage in heroic, 10.5 (13.5) in paragon, 15.5 (22.5) in epic for 1 attack per round, potentially even more with feats. They don't have to spend an action to get this bonus.

Rangers and Warlocks both get 3.5, 7, 10.5 extra damage once per round, more with feats (well, at least the Ranger can get more).

The Red Mage gets... 3-8 extra damage that requires a minor action to get, once per round, against a SINGLE target. They're in many ways worse than other strikers. I understand the feeling of not wanting to encroach upon their roles, but at least their should be a scaling mechanic and the ability to mark multiple enemies with this power, or otherwise, the supposed Jack of All Trades, Master of None turn out to be the Goof of all Trades, Decent at None. Maybe have the Sigils usable as a free action each turn, but only once per turn, and have feats that improve upon their use later on.

Just my 2 cp, take it as you will.

DiscipleofBob
2009-09-08, 11:39 PM
text

Maybe in Paragon tier, but one of the things I was considering for the Red Mage is the concept holding a sword in one hand and a wand in the other. I wouldn't want to completely invalidate the use of implements by making weapons as good as implements. (Of course, multiclassing Swordmage easily fixes that problem.)

text

And a good 2 cp it is.

There will be feats, powers, etc. which allow the Red Mage to use more than one Sigil at a time, and also keep in mind that unlike the other strikers, Sigil of Wrath's extra damage isn't limited to once per round.

My biggest concern with raising the power of Sigil of Wrath is that the raised damage combined with some of the other build options might overshadow one of the other roles at their game, but I have yet to see how that's going to work.

I'll be posting the rest of the heroic powers I have ready soon.