PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather live, or take all your worst enemies with you?

Pika...
2009-09-08, 08:35 PM
Hypothetical Situations:

A) You are in an action movie, and have managed to take the cockpit of a plane in rough whether with all your worst nemeses in the back trying to get in, or fighting among themselves. You can either land in a clearing, or "take them all with you" into a mountain directly in front of you.

Or if you're like Trog and I:
B) You managed to take the driver's seat of the short bus, while all your nemeses are grappling and stabbing each other in the backseats, and there is a big cliff drop to the right of the road as you head to the "institute" for the "special" people (and I do not mean the Xavier Institute).

What would you prefer?

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-08, 08:39 PM
I don't really HAVE any enemies. That I know of. I think?

So I think I'd want to live.

That said...if someone has to do it, I've no problem being the guy who dies taking out all the bad guys. Especially if I know it'll save a friend's life. *nods*

Seffbasilisk
2009-09-08, 08:40 PM
I have no enemies that I am aware of.

That said, it would depend on the situation, whether or not I could handle them on the ground, can I eject before we hit the mountain, etc.

Dracomorph
2009-09-08, 08:41 PM
In an action movie, right? Then I'd plunge off the cliff/ into the mountain. Because, in an action movie, I'd somehow turn up alive at the end with only a few scratches to show for it.

In real life, or something like it, I'd do everything I could to survive. Because if I'm dead, then I've lost. And you can't win when you lose. [/Bushism]

Vmag
2009-09-08, 08:48 PM
Seeing as this is an action movie scenario, yeah, I'd live and let live.

If I made the bold sacrifice to end myself while taking them all down, yeah, sure, I'll end up killing some of the fluff villains, but the major ones will somehow survive to plot another sequel.

At least, should I live, sure, they all do, too, but at least I'll have the chance to fight them and end things properly at a later date, after many a montage, chase, and romance.

Crimmy
2009-09-08, 09:18 PM
action movie = Secret hidden button.

Push it.

Then, the plane crashes, and I live.
I LIVE, DUCKHEADS!!!!

FoE
2009-09-08, 09:24 PM
Since my "nemeses" consist of a guy named Steve who steals my carrot sticks out of the work fridge, I would say that the fiery explosion of death is a tad overkill.

Couldn't I just hit him with a sock full of pennies on his way to the parking garage and dump his body in the river? :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2009-09-08, 09:24 PM
I let everybody live and we all celebrate Christmas together.

yes. I'd turn the action movie into a cheesy Christmas special.:smalltongue:

Knaight
2009-09-08, 09:25 PM
Live. My enemies are perfectly capable of getting themselves in trouble. Heck, two of my enemies in elementary school managed to get felony charges in either Junior High or High School. Two cases of Assault With A Deadly Weapon in one case, the other was Burglary or similar.

I seriously need to stop ticking off the psychopaths. Said people were the only enemies I had in elementary school.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-08, 09:28 PM
I let everybody live and we all celebrate Christmas together.

yes. I'd turn the action movie into a cheesy Christmas special.:smalltongue:

...I have an enemy now.

WHY MUST YOU TAINT THE ACTION MOVIES WITH YOUR LOVE! D=<

Milskidasith
2009-09-08, 09:29 PM
I'd let them live. I don't have any particularly strong enemies, and I'd rather live.

Perenelle
2009-09-08, 09:30 PM
I'd live with my enemies. I think that's wayy better than dying.

Talwar
2009-09-08, 09:37 PM
I land the plane in the clearing.

This will have taken place after I have cranked the cabin heat up all the way, had my flight attendent ally feed the nemeses under-cooked airplane food, and put the aircraft through a series of hyperbolic ascents and descents.

Therefore, I would postulate that I can then enter the cabin and subdue the hapless rogues one by one, in slow motion, with rock music playing.

Dracomorph
2009-09-08, 09:43 PM
...I have an enemy now.

WHY MUST YOU TAINT THE ACTION MOVIES WITH YOUR LOVE! D=<

That is pretty weird to see, coming from the Cobra Commander of Hugging.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-08, 09:46 PM
That is pretty weird to see, coming from the Cobra Commander of Hugging.

Well...I really love action movies. Heartwarming family movies, not so much. >.>

I feel kinda lonely in my willingness-to-die-to-kill-the-bad-guys-ness, too. Does no one else love heroic sacrifices? >.>

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-08, 09:49 PM
Well...I really love action movies. Heartwarming family movies, not so much. >.>

I feel kinda lonely in my willingness-to-die-to-kill-the-bad-guys-ness, too. Does no one else love heroic sacrifices? >.>

They're alright. Except when, you know, you're the one being sacrificed.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-08, 09:51 PM
They're alright. Except when, you know, you're the one being sacrificed.

Meh. If I was in an action movie, there's no way my friends would let me fight alone. If that was the case, and SOMEONE had to make the heroic sacrifice...I would insist that it would be me.

...of course, knowing some of my friends, we'd be fighting each other for the privelege to die for each other's sake. I find that kinda heartwarming, in a weird way. >.>

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-08, 09:53 PM
Meh. If I was in an action movie, there's no way my friends would let me fight alone. If that was the case, and SOMEONE had to make the heroic sacrifice...I would insist that it would be me.

...of course, knowing some of my friends, we'd be fighting each other for the privelege to die for each other's sake. I find that kinda heartwarming, in a weird way. >.>

Psh, screw my friends. I! CHOOSE! LIFE!

zeratul
2009-09-08, 09:54 PM
I could easily kill any of the people I consider enemies in my current state with the tools at my disposal. I would not need these advantages. Therefor, I choose life.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-08, 09:54 PM
Hmm . . . would have to be a big plane to carry all my enemies, but yeah, I would crash into the mountain

Blue Ghost
2009-09-08, 09:55 PM
I don't have any real enemies. There are some jerks whose presence I disdain, but I would not want to hurt them under any circumstances.
If I did have enemies, I would not kill them, no matter how badly they have wronged me. Especially not if I had to kill myself doing so. I may not be strong enough to die for people yet, but I am definitely strong enough not to die to kill others.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-08, 09:56 PM
Psh, screw my friends. I! CHOOSE! LIFE!

Haha...well, my group of friends tends towards one of these (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Nakama), so maybe that's why. =P

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-09-08, 09:59 PM
Well, if I was in an action movie, I'd be on the evil side of it, anyway, being the Fullbladder, after all. So I'd have some sort of back-up plan or warming clone with all my memories or a perfect world if only these freaking heroes/other villains would only shut up and die.

So I'd totally take them out with me. Because in an action movie, I'd be the bad guy. And when I'm a bad guy, I'm a jerk. And really, aiming the plane at the mountain just to kill everyone on it is kind of a **** move.

Trog
2009-09-08, 10:52 PM
A) *INTERCOM:* Uh... Trog has just turn... um... I mean... The uh Captain has turned on the... um... "No Dying" sign as is now going to attempt to land the plane in the clearing but wants it to be known that he A) Has never flown a plane much less landed one before. B) He's been partaking vigorously from the alcohol in the little cart and wonders if anyone has a spare Coffin Nail™ on them since the brand name has just all sorts of layered meanings in this particular case. And C) Final chance for mile high club? Anyone? Any takers? It's called a cockpit for a reason, you kno-oh my is that the clearing there? It's um.... getting awfully big and rather quickly at that. :smalleek: Oh dear. Um... Captain out. *KRRSH*

B) Oi! No fighting on the bus! :smallannoyed: Don't MAKE me turn this thing around!! :smallmad: HEY! I -said- NO fighti- okay, you know what? Screw this. You know what I'm gonna do? You what we're gonna do instead? This is now da prison bus! :smallfurious: That's right! We're going to prison! *turns the crank that changes the destination sign on the top of the bus to "PRISON"* Yeah! Yeah who's the smart one now? You'll be serving 8 to 10 for annoying the bus driver. *turns up his headphones* ROOOOOOOOOOOOOXAAANNE!!

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-08, 10:57 PM
A) *INTERCOM:* Uh... Trog has just turn... um... I mean... The uh Captain has turned on the... um... "No Dying" sign as is now going to attempt to land the plane in the clearing but wants it to be known that he A) Has never flown a plane much less landed one before. B) He's been partaking vigorously from the alcohol in the little cart and wonders if anyone has a spare Coffin Nail™ on them since the brand name has just all sorts of layered meanings in this particular case. And C) Final chance for mile high club? Anyone? Any takers? It's called a cockpit for a reason, you kno-oh my is that the clearing there? It's um.... getting awfully big and rather quickly at that. :smalleek: Oh dear. Um... Captain out. *KRRSH*

B) Oi! No fighting on the bus! :smallannoyed: Don't MAKE me turn this thing around!! :smallmad: HEY! I -said- NO fighti- okay, you know what? Screw this. You know what I'm gonna do? You what we're gonna do instead? This is now da prison bus! :smallfurious: That's right! We're going to prison! *turns the crank that changes the destination sign on the top of the bus to "PRISON"* Yeah! Yeah who's the smart one now? You'll be serving 8 to 10 for annoying the bus driver. *turns up his headphones* ROOOOOOOOOOOOOXAAANNE!!

...I love you. So much.

*giggles* =3

Pika...
2009-09-08, 11:02 PM

You never disappoint Trog. You had me in tears.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-09, 02:32 AM
A> Well, seeing as I've never flown a plane before and have had no training, I'd probably crash into the clearing. But - hey, this is an action movie, right?
I'd somehow magickally set the autopilot so it does little circles in the sky, brutally incapacitate, disarm and tie up all the bad guys (Or just - y'know, shoot them in the forehead), and then find the hot blonde flight attendant everyone though died in he first scene and find out shes been taking flying lessons and get her to land it for me in a harrowing, nail-biting scene.

B> Why do I have to drive off the cliff with my bus full of (Non-existant enemies). I'm not exactly a murderer, you see, so I'd probably drive it to the prison, but if said bus was full of low-lifes and murdering scum (And, you know, the other kinds of people who deserve the death penalty), I'm aim for the cliff, gun the engine and let the bus fly.

After I put a rock or tied down the pedal and flung myself out the door before the speed got up to "Lethal if you fling yourself out of a moving vehicle", of course.

Thajocoth
2009-09-09, 02:56 AM
Plane scenario. Aim the plane at the mountains. This is an action movie, so there is no other choice... But being an action movie, staying on board is not a choice either! Once the plane is heading towards the mountain, I shut down the engines and take the key or whatever they use. Then, I leap out of the plane! Diving straight down!

I'd land with knees slightly bent. As my legs shatter, I roll onto my side and keep rolling, shattering most of my bones. The audience here's the crunching louder and more clearly than they should. Start crawling to the hospital using just the strength of my over-muscled action-movie arms. But, of course, having won the day, the female lead comes running out and calls for an ambulance and we all laugh. Maybe a recovery scene... But probably not. Roll credits.

You DID say the scenario occurred in an action movie... IRL? Screw that. Live. Also, the landing thing is actually plausible. A few people have done it. (One of them on purpose.)

Jalor
2009-09-09, 05:02 AM
Well, it depends. I have many sworn enemies, including:

-Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers, and all of their fans.
-People with "ironic" tattoos.
-People with non-ironic tattoos.
-People who own any Ed Hardy brand items.
-Fans of the book Twilight (people who think it's So Bad It's Good don't count).
-Anyone who claims a "fringe" religion while ignorant of its actual beliefs or practices, just because it's the new style.
-Anyone who does the same for politics.
-Women who lie about using birth control to get pregnant and take advantage of alimony from the eventual divorce, in which they are guaranteed custody.
-Men who manipulate naive women into sex with them
-Anyone practicing a religion that encourages persecution of others for reasons other than causing clear, observable harm or suffering.
-Anyone who immediately sides with a professed "good guy" without hearing both sides of the story.
-Child molesters.
-People who talk at the theater.
-Hypocrites of any kind.

So, I kill all of these people for the low, low price of dying myself? I will do it, for the Greater Good.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-09, 05:10 AM
-Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers, and all of their fans.
After you kill all of these, who will survive to populate future generations?
As soon as we have enough non-fans amongst the youngsters for genetic diversity, you have my green light.

loopy
2009-09-09, 05:38 AM
As soon as we have enough non-fans amongst the youngsters for genetic diversity, you have my green light.

Oh. They exist. The rest all like emo music.

Your choice as to whether that is worth it, I'm personally fine with it.

OverdrivePrime
2009-09-09, 05:47 AM
Oh. They exist. The rest all like emo music.

Your choice as to whether that is worth it, I'm personally fine with it.

It truly is a world of darkness we are ushering in. :smalleek:

Anyway, killing my enemies in such a detached an impersonal means as a plan (or bus) crash is lame. If I'm truly the action movie hero that I fancy myself to be, I'll land that plan on the side of a mountain and then kill my enemies to death with an ironic assortment of items from the AirMall cart.

Pika...
2009-09-09, 08:50 AM

Eh. Screw genetic diversity. Sometimes a genetic bottleneck is exactly what a species need.

Fiery Justice
2009-09-09, 09:18 AM

-Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers, and all of their fans. That's.. a sketchy choice of enemies. Have you ever listened to their music?
-People with "ironic" tattoos. What if I told you that I have a tatoo that says, "I got this tattoo when I was young and stupid and thought it would be funny forever,"
-People with non-ironic tattoos.
-People who own any Ed Hardy brand items. Don't even know what that is.
-Fans of the book Twilight (people who think it's So Bad It's Good don't count). Honestly. That's just low man.
-Anyone who claims a "fringe" religion while ignorant of its actual beliefs or practices, just because it's the new style. I sympathize with you.
-Anyone who does the same for politics. Gosh yes.
-Women who lie about using birth control to get pregnant and take advantage of alimony from the eventual divorce, in which they are guaranteed custody. That's oddly specific...
-Men who manipulate naive women into sex with them I agree.
-Anyone practicing a religion that encourages persecution of others for reasons other than causing clear, observable harm or suffering. Define persecution... I've found that it can get rather confusing when people fail to do so. But assuming you mean act to cause observable harm or suffering, I agree.
-Anyone who immediately sides with a professed "good guy" without hearing both sides of the story.
-Child molesters.
-People who talk at the theater. Look, a Firefly reference
-Hypocrites of any kind. Aren't we all a little hypocritical?

So, I kill all of these people for the low, low price of dying myself? I will do it, for the Greater Good.
The bold are my comments. By the way, I choose life.

V'icternus
2009-09-09, 09:27 AM
I want to live!

That way I can get rid of my enemies personally and not have to die. :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2009-09-09, 10:23 AM
I live.

Sure, living well is the crappiest of all revenges, but I, unlike most in this thread, actually had the person who was #1 on my enemies list be crippled for months from the neck down in an accident.

It wasn't satisfying in the slightest. So...

I'm trying to get over the whole revenge thing. Seldom satisfying on large scales.

Petty revenge is still sometimes amusing.

Talwar
2009-09-09, 05:52 PM
(A great deal of people)

Your cause is noble, but the capacity of modern airliners is lacking. Maybe you should try for a ship instead?

Blue Ghost
2009-09-09, 06:10 PM
Um. I see a lot of bitterness here. Loving your enemy is a big part of my philosophy, so no killing of my enemies for me.
Unless it's some sort of embodiment of utter evil that has no human value whatsoever, but I don't think those exist in the real world.

Dracomorph
2009-09-09, 06:27 PM
Jalor, what do you have against tattoos?

I mean, I understand the people with ironic tattoos. Or even if you picked people with tattoos of chinese characters/ kanji who don't know what they mean. But why unironic, non-ridiculous tattoos?

You crazy.

Jalor
2009-09-09, 07:17 PM
Jalor, what do you have against tattoos?

I mean, I understand the people with ironic tattoos. Or even if you picked people with tattoos of chinese characters/ kanji who don't know what they mean. But why unironic, non-ridiculous tattoos?

You crazy.
It's just as annoying when people have, say, kanji that they do know the meaning of.

Future Cadaver: "Look at my new tattoo! It's a Chinese character!"
Me: *facepalm* "...what's it say?"
FC: "Spirit! Everyone always says I have a lot of spirit and so I got a tattoo to represent it and it's really pretty..."
Me: *facewall*

People are sometimes usually always just as bad with other types of tattoos.

Then again, I should probably make an exception for awesome tattoos. Say, a giant Superman logo on one's chest, which I've seen someone with. Anyone dedicated enough to the Man of Steel to place his logo underneath their own skin deserves a medal, not an ignoble death alongside Twilight fans.

What if I told you that I have a tatoo that says, "I got this tattoo when I was young and stupid and thought it would be funny forever,"
See, I said "ironic" with quotes. That one made me laugh, so it is ironic without quotes. Big difference. Life-or-death, in this case.

UnChosenOne
2009-09-10, 02:35 AM
Well. I don't know how to fly a plane, so mostlikely I would jump off from that plane with parachute and keys. Though I wont think that my enemies would be more that waitters in the SEGC (Stereotypical Evil Guy Club).

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-09-10, 02:55 AM
Even a Boeing 787 couldn't hold all the people I consider my worst enemies, but if a plane COULD... I'd fly that bad boy as high as it would go before guiding it into a nose dive into the deepest hole within range so as to prolong the experience. Given that I consider those that are a danger to those I care about as my worst enemies, the chart showing global population would end up seeing a huge downward spike.

pendell
2009-09-10, 06:46 AM
I personally believe that it's better to convert enemies than to kill them. Crashing the plane means we're all dead to no benefit. Therefore I would spare the lives of my enemies, and in so doing spare my own.

What would change this is if said enemies posed a dire threat to something greater than myself. Tomorrow -- yes, tomorrow -- is the anniversary of the day some brave unarmed men and women took control of an airplane from hijackers in Pennsylvania, forcing them to crash the plane rather than complete whatever nefarious scheme they had in mind.

In a situation like that ... where the bad guys are on their way to kill thousands of innocent lives ... I hope I'd have the guts to crash the plane and take them all into the afterlife with me. One dies that the many may live.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Johel
2009-09-10, 07:09 AM
Hypothetical Situations:
A) You are in an action movie, and have managed to take the cockpit of a plane in rough whether with all your worst nemeses in the back trying to get in, or fighting among themselves. You can either land in a clearing, or "take them all with you" into a mountain directly in front of you.
Or if you're like Trog and I:
B) You managed to take the driver's seat of the short bus, while all your nemeses are grappling and stabbing each other in the backseats, and there is a big cliff drop to the right of the road as you head to the "institute" for the "special" people (and I do not mean the Xavier Institute).
What would you prefer?

A) If I think I can get out of the plane alive once I've landed (20-so archnemesis are right behind the door so...), I'll go for the landing. You can always get a better opportunity to take them one after another.

B) Since I'm not sure that the crash will kill them all, better drive safe and let the good doctors handle them.

Totally Guy
2009-09-10, 08:34 AM
Tomorrow -- yes, tomorrow -- is the anniversary of the day some brave unarmed men and women took control of an airplane from hijackers in Pennsylvania, forcing them to crash the plane rather than complete whatever nefarious scheme they had in mind.

This thread has made me uncomfortable.

All you have to do is declare "the west" your enemy and then say you'd do it. Then you've not got the mindset of the guys that stopped the terrorists but the mindset of the terrorists themselves.

Quincunx
2009-09-21, 05:07 AM
I forwarded this question to my husband. His reply, paraphrased:

Take the short-bus option and do a handbrake turn so the bus was teetering on the edge of the cliff, and as the driver's end was still on terra firma, simply step out of the vehicle.

Everyone else retroactively loses style points for not thinking of this.

Green Bean
2009-09-21, 05:37 AM
Munchkin answer: I declare DEATH to be my Nemesis, and make sure it dies first. If I go down, I'm taking causality with me! :smalltongue:

J.Gellert
2009-09-21, 07:04 AM
Land the plane, grab my machinegun, and gun down everyone.

If that won't work, then...

Grab my machinegun, gun down everyone, and land the plane.

Weimann
2009-09-21, 08:19 AM
In that situation? Life. Always life.

bosssmiley
2009-09-21, 09:56 AM
I would choose to live.

What is the point in having enemies if you can't be around to tap-dance on their graves? :smallconfused:

I'm still hoping for zoodoo powers so I can revive Karl Marx, shout "WRONG!" in his face, and kill him again.

KataraAltinaII
2009-09-21, 10:50 AM
I'd take them all with me.

crashing is a hell of a lot easier than landing. :smallbiggrin:

snoopy13a
2009-09-21, 09:29 PM
I don't have any enemies.

KataraAltinaII
2009-09-23, 09:53 PM
I don't have any enemies.

come to think of it, I don't either.

there are a bunch of people though that I would CALL my enemies just so I could do the world a favor and get rid of them, though... :smallamused:

Uber_Drow
2009-09-24, 03:48 PM
Don't have enough enemies to be worth being dead. So live.