PDA

View Full Version : Rebirth of Footsteps, the Homebrew 'zine

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-09-09, 07:42 PM
Greetings all. Last year a handful of posters got together and started upon a project. A sort of 'zine by forum goers for the forum goers. We are reviving it and are now taking submissions.

What exactly are we looking for and what are we doing with it?

Our purpose is to provide you with the best gaming content this board has to offer. In Footsteps you will find monsters, feats, prestige classes, articles, adventures, and stories, just to name a few. In the future, we hope to incorporate content for games besides Dungeons and Dragons.

You may ask how we differ from the regular posting in the Gaming, Homebrew and Artwork forums. There is one advantage to our pages. Editorial oversight. There are some wonderful creations on these boards, but it can be difficult to find them among the sea of posts. We choose only the best content we receive, and then work to make it even better. When you read Footsteps, you will know even before clicking the link that it's been judged for balance, utility, and originality.

We also hope to bring different creators together to work on projects, putting together different talents to make a greater whole, for projects that might not exist otherwise.

And we promise to make sure that the features in every issue are primarily done by posters here on the boards. While we may occasionally have guest contributors, most of our content will come from you, our readers and friends.

We hope that you will find this feature useful, and that many of you will make your own contributions. Remember, this is your 'zine.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Common Questions and Answers

Where do I send my submissions?
Submissions can be sent here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=47043)

What edition are we looking for?
We are taking both 3.5 and 4th edition submissions. If you are well versed in either feel free to send both editions.

Where can I find the original Footsteps 'zine?
Right here. With each edition we hope to improve and expand on the look and content. Suggestions are not only welcome but encouraged.

Do they have to be new creations?
We prefer all submissions to be new so that we can bring the readers the freshest content. If you have a particularly worthy submission however that has already been posted we will look over those to.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Interested Parties

Artwork

Editing
Afroakuma
Lappy9000

Submission
Afroakuma
Lappy9000
Surgo

afroakuma
2009-09-09, 07:49 PM
Writing and editing, certainly. Drawing, likely not.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-09-09, 07:55 PM
Great! As for art, going to find someone for the cover, but for in-between might could just make it OOTSified. Have plenty of stick-figure making geniuses on here.

Lappy9000
2009-09-09, 08:20 PM
I'll certainly help with the editing. I can also stop being stingy and submit a few of my creations.

EDIT: I'll definitely help with the writing as well, and I *may* be able to group a couple of artists.

Surgo
2009-09-09, 08:26 PM
I'll be more than happy to submit quality homebrew, I enjoy getting stuff that is both mine and others of quality out to a wider audience. I happened to have two very high-quality items that fit the Halloween theme.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-09, 08:36 PM
I'm down for some submissions. Between my existing homebrew & the stuff that I haven't published yet, I should have some interesting stuff. Count me in. Just tell me what you want from me.

Also, I should note, I am a cartographer. For what it's worth.

Lappy9000
2009-09-09, 08:47 PM
Also, what system(s) are we looking at? 3.5, 4e, Pathfinder, or whatever fits your fancy?

Just keep me updated on when you need me to help with anything as well as when we need our submissions in by.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-09, 10:55 PM
Well, my submitting art would be counterproductive because it would probably cause readers to gouge out their eyes in terror...but I'd be willing to do editing work, as well as submissions for 3.5.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-09-09, 11:11 PM
Consider me down if you have any homebrewing you want done/critiqued/reviewed. :smallbiggrin:

The Neoclassic
2009-09-09, 11:15 PM
I can do homebrew! Wish I could help with art, but OotS-style is all I can manage.

DracoDei
2009-09-10, 11:49 AM
Well since many of my creations have a macabre feel to them if you get into the details (star-crossed lovers dropping dead with smiles on their faces to live in a pocket paradise inside a tree...) and some of them are overtly creepy or horrifying (the undead organ line), so if recycled material works, then I have some to offer.

Cieyrin
2009-09-10, 03:02 PM
I'm finally getting my library back this weekend, so I'd be down for editing, homebrewing and critiquing. I also have connections to a couple of artists that may be interested in doing artwork. The only thing holding me back at this point is my interwebs are getting far more infrequent, so my ability to do timely work may vary. Let me know what I can do and we can go from there.:smallbiggrin:

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Surgo
2009-09-10, 03:03 PM
Just let me know when you want my two submissions...

Xallace
2009-09-10, 03:21 PM
I can help out! I think I've got a few old thing-a-ma-jigs laying around somewhere. If more submissions are alright, I'm not that good of an artist.

lesser_minion
2009-09-11, 03:28 AM
I might be able to lend a hand with the editing and possibly the writing.

I haven't tried making any sort of artwork for a while, and I don't have a scanner handy, so I don't think I'd be too useful on the art front, unfortunately.

If Pair'O'Dice Lost's artwork is the eldritch abomination he believes it to be, then I believe we may have a candidate for artist, however. :smallsmile:

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-09-12, 08:31 AM
Great! Sounds good, guys and gals. I'm going to register a new user for Footsteps so everyone can send their submissions there.

Footsteps
2009-09-12, 08:40 AM
Ok, if you have a submission to Footsteps message it to me here.

Debihuman
2009-09-12, 09:38 AM
I can help out with editing and proofreading as well. I'm familiar with 3.5 and I'm just learning Pathfinder. Unfortunately, I have no interest in 4e so I'd have to leave that to others.

Debby

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-09-12, 09:40 AM
I can help out with editing and proofreading as well. I'm familiar with 3.5 and I'm just learning Pathfinder. Unfortunately, I have no interest in 4e so I'd have to leave that to others.

Debby
Debi... I think I can firmly say I've never met someone with the same level of dedication you have to the editing of homebrew.

Glad to have you :smallwink:

Yora
2009-09-12, 10:13 AM
I think it might be a good idea for you to keep an eye on all the homebrew threads that are in the forum, and contact the creators of stuff you think is really good.
I think that would work better than having people commisioned to do work for the mag.

Lord_Gareth
2009-09-12, 11:18 AM
I can definitely submit a few things - heck, once I've finished the Witch Doctor, that might fit great. THEY TURN THEIR ENEMIES INSIDE OUT. And said enemies are still alive.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-12, 12:40 PM
If Pair'O'Dice Lost's artwork is the eldritch abomination he believes it to be, then I believe we may have a candidate for artist, however. :smallsmile:

Well, if they gouge their eyes out, how will people read the homebrew? I suppose I could contribute something for the last page, so the homebrew is the last material they ever see....

Oh, and my first submission is sent.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-12, 12:58 PM
Do you want all-new material, or is previously-posted material allowed?

Kallisti
2009-09-12, 01:08 PM
Writing and editing? I could help with that.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-09-12, 01:08 PM
Do you want all-new material, or is previously-posted material allowed?
Prefer new if at all possible, but will also take old if its good and fits.

Debihuman
2009-09-12, 01:32 PM
Debi... I think I can firmly say I've never met someone with the same level of dedication you have to the editing of homebrew.

Glad to have you :smallwink:

Oh, that's such a nice way of saying it. LOL! I've got a red pen and I'm not afraid to use it.

Debby

Doc Roc
2009-09-12, 01:48 PM
I've taken the liberty of submitting the war-marked and the 3.51 fix list. We'll be rolling out a fixed barbarian, ranger, and monk soon, as part of the 3.52. Only the barbarian will be ToS legal, however. So..

Zeta Kai
2009-09-12, 04:32 PM
Prefer new if at all possible, but will also take old if its good and fits.

You can put me down as an Interested Party, under Artwork & Submission.

Cespenar
2009-09-12, 07:16 PM
A little question. Sorry if I missed it somewhere but with 'submission', do you mean that any kind of homebrew is okay? Items, creatures, classes, etc.

Well, if I didn't misunderstand that, I'm officially interested.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-12, 07:20 PM
I can look over submitted material for balance/refinement, if you like. Email's a better medium, though: my PM box is woefully packed.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-14, 08:31 AM
Any updates on this?

Also, are there any particular sorts of homebrew you'd prefer (spells, special materials, magic items, prestige classes, base classes, feats, races, monsters, articles on fluff, random treasure tables...)?

Finally, am I correct in assuming if I submit something to Footsteps I am still free to post/use it elsewhere (such as on my own website) should I so choose?

Thanks!

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-09-14, 08:43 AM
A little question. Sorry if I missed it somewhere but with 'submission', do you mean that any kind of homebrew is okay? Items, creatures, classes, etc.
Anything, yup.

I can look over submitted material for balance/refinement, if you like. Email's a better medium, though: my PM box is woefully packed.
Even if you delete what you sent from your sent folder right after?

Also, are there any particular sorts of homebrew you'd prefer (spells, special materials, magic items, prestige classes, base classes, feats, races, monsters, articles on fluff, random treasure tables...)?
A little of everything would be great. Can't really say what we'll be needing at the moment. Only had 2-3 submissions so far, which is why we haven't really given an update.

Finally, am I correct in assuming if I submit something to Footsteps I am still free to post/use it elsewhere (such as on my own website) should I so choose?
Sure. We're just collecting and putting it out for all to see.

Debihuman
2009-09-14, 08:53 PM
Writer's guidelines are usually a good idea. VT, I suggest that you set them.

Debby

afroakuma
2009-09-14, 09:05 PM
Writer's guidelines are usually a good idea. VT, I suggest that you set them.

Set some lines, I'll follow them.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-09-14, 09:10 PM
See first page

lesser_minion
2009-09-16, 08:39 AM
Well, if they gouge their eyes out, how will people read the homebrew? I suppose I could contribute something for the last page, so the homebrew is the last material they ever see....

Well, it is the Halloween issue, so "brown note" artwork will fit right in...

I have a couple of things in mind for submissions - I'm not sure how quickly I can put some material on paper, however.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-16, 11:53 AM
Is there a deadline for the first (or I suppose technically second) issue of this? Will we be informed if our submissions are accepted? When will the editing/revising process start and how will that work?

Harley
2009-09-16, 12:00 PM
I might be able to throw something together for Halloween. I'd prefer 4E, but I'm also open to 3.5 homebrewing, if you want that.

Lord_Gareth
2009-09-16, 12:30 PM
Would it be possible to submit a mostly-finished project and request help in finishing it out?

Gourtox
2009-09-24, 02:38 PM
What edition are we looking for?
We are taking both 3.5 and 4th edition submissions. If you are well versed in either feel free to send both editions.

Are you only accepting homebrew from those games are you open to other systems as well? If you allow SAGA edition Homebrew(I hear it's close to 4E) I'll be open to creating submissions and editing.

Sudduth
2009-09-24, 03:20 PM
Are you only accepting homebrew from those games are you open to other systems as well? If you allow SAGA edition Homebrew(I hear it's close to 4E) I'll be open to creating submissions and editing.

Yeah SAGA is very close to 4E.

Bhu
2009-10-05, 05:43 AM
Did you ever do the jungle issue you mentioned a while back?