PDA

View Full Version : Internetting halp plzkthx

Serpentine
2009-09-12, 06:59 AM
My household just signed up to a plan for fancy-pants, fastest-in-Australia internet. It's fine on the other two's computers, but on mine, some websites are really slow, and many keep just not loading pages. The forums, for example: I might have 4 tabs open on different pages. One will be fine, one will have an issue with the images, one will come up with "could not access webpage" but then be fine upon a refresh, and the fourth will just steadfastly refuse to load, no matter what I do, despite working fine just a moment ago. Right now, it seems to be having extra issues with images - lots and lots of x.

What's going on, and how can I fix it? :smallfrown: Before you ask: Yes, I did clear my cookies. If "clearing my cache" involves something else, you'll have to explain it to me.

We're using a Belking Wireless Router Modem, if that means anything.

V'icternus
2009-09-12, 07:21 AM
Hmm, this is serious...

It sounds like a computer issue, but maybe the net just doesn't like your computer... try a switch-on switch-off of your net modem, and then try a problematic site that works fine on the other computers.

Maybe your computer just can't handle the speed of the internet... (Not likely. I'm running on this old laptop and can still mantain a 100Mbps connection.

That's the extent of my advice, though, and my real advice is to talk to whoever manages your network.

We can't have tGitP forums without you, so this is urgent.

lesser_minion
2009-09-12, 07:52 AM
Which web browser do you use?

On the software side of things, it's possible that your web browser or antivirus software might be doing something like spending an inordinate amount of time checking every website to make sure that it isn't going to attack your computer.

A lot of browsers now refer to the cache as something like 'saved web pages' or 'offline web pages'. If you've used a command like "Clear Private Data", it should be checked by default.

I'm afraid I can't really offer much more than that.