PDA

View Full Version : Save v. Falling: RAW or HR?

LibraryOgre
2009-09-12, 01:20 PM
In our 4e games, there's a tendency to use forced movement powers to force people into objects, off cliffs, and otherwise annoy them. Our DM has usually given people as a save against that. While I rather like the rule, I'm just not remembering if its RAW or HR.

Lord Herman
2009-09-12, 01:24 PM
It's RAW. I believe it's somewhere in the DMG chapter on terrain and hazards.

The rule is, whenever you would be forced into hazardous terrain (terrain that deals damage, such as a pit), you get to roll a save. If you make the save, you're prone at the edge of the hazardous terrain. If you fail, you fall in.

The New Bruceski
2009-09-12, 01:26 PM
RAW, though I can't pull up a page atm.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-12, 01:33 PM
In our 4e games, there's a tendency to use forced movement powers to force people into objects, off cliffs, and otherwise annoy them. Our DM has usually given people as a save against that. While I rather like the rule, I'm just not remembering if its RAW or HR.
It's RAW all right. The PHB mentions that you get a save whenever pushed off a cliff and the like, which represents grabbing the edge. The DMG mentions that you get a save whenever forcefully moved into Hazardous Terrain, which represents game balance.

Note that neither applies with regard to zones put up by spells or other powers unless the power explicitly says it's making Hazardous Terrain (as most recently stated by the developers in Dragon magazine), and note that the rules are unclear what should happen if you're teleported off a cliff or into lava, but that should be less common at least.

Gralamin
2009-09-12, 01:57 PM
Note that neither applies with regard to zones put up by spells or other powers unless the power explicitly says it's making Hazardous Terrain (as most recently stated by the developers in Dragon magazine), and note that the rules are unclear what should happen if you're teleported off a cliff or into lava, but that should be less common at least.

Teleporting isn't a type of forced movement (Forced Movement is defined as Pulling, Pushing or sliding), so by RAW you would not get the save. Which, on its own, makes sense. If your being teleported into lava, you don't have the ability to grab the edge.