PDA

View Full Version : Help with two questions my players asked.

Korivan
2009-09-12, 11:49 PM
First, I'm pretty sure then when playing gestalt, you only get ONE feat at every 3 levels and ONE attribute point at every 4 levels. Not one feat and one attribute point at the aforementioned levels for EACH character class in the gestalt. Right? Have one player trying to argue this.

Seconed, the same player from above question wants to be a druid/wizard. But instead of having a familier and animal companion, just roll both into one creature. We argued this one for a bit, my thoughts that IF, and only IF, this is allowed, he can't change up animal campanion like a druid can, but has to pick from the standard wizard familier list, then can change it with the Improved Familier feat. Also, things like natural armor and special abilities don't stack, just use the faster of the two...but I'm still iffy on that.

Any imput please.

Yukitsu
2009-09-12, 11:52 PM
For 1, yes, you only gain feats at the specific character levels. So 1 feat at 3, one stat boost at 4.

For 2, I'd argue that it cuts down on the paper work to roll it into one, making it a positive change. I'd then point out that two of them is superior to one, because he could always share spell a shape change between the three of them. You're better off letting him mix them and apply the full benefits and drawbacks of each stacked on top of eachother.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-12, 11:54 PM
He's wrong about the first part. You don't multiply your level based feats and ability score points.

As for the Animal Companion/familiar thing, there is a prestige class that does just that: Arcane Heirophant. Normally, it is not allowed during Gestalt play because it is a dual progression class much like the Mystic Theurge, but It shouldn't be too much of a problem to let it in if you only let it advance one side of the gestalt's casting.

Bandededed
2009-09-12, 11:55 PM
First, I'm pretty sure then when playing gestalt, you only get ONE feat at every 3 levels and ONE attribute point at every 4 levels. Not one feat and one attribute point at the aforementioned levels for EACH character class in the gestalt. Right? Have one player trying to argue this.

You are correct. His Character level when he is a 3//3 is 3, meaning he gets one feat. His Class level is 3//3. Same with attribute points.

Seconed, the same player from above question wants to be a druid/wizard. But instead of having a familier and animal companion, just roll both into one creature. We argued this one for a bit, my thoughts that IF, and only IF, this is allowed, he can't change up animal campanion like a druid can, but has to pick from the standard wizard familier list, then can change it with the Improved Familier feat. Also, things like natural armor and special abilities don't stack, just use the faster of the two...but I'm still iffy on that.

Any imput please.

Problem: animal companions cannot have an int above 2. If they somehow gain int, they become non-animal companions. Familiars, however, have serious business int scores. I'd say he gets both, because he's gestallting wizard//druid, the animal isn't gestaltallting animal companion//familiar

Korivan
2009-09-13, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the clarification, kinda thought I knew the first one, and he was just trying to overpower his character, but who knows, I've been wrong before.

As for the second one, thank you. I think I'll go with him combine them, but only if he picks one or the other. Though with these two cut downs, I figure he'll play something else. I just didn't want to see a super intelligent imp or something with sick natural armor, bonus hit dice, STR and DEX bonuses, small list of neat abilities...and still not have even factered in the all the familier/animal companion buffs out there.

Elfin
2009-09-13, 12:24 AM
Going by RAW, it specifically states in the Familiars Sidebar in the PHB that you can't roll both familiar and animal companion into one.
But you're of course free to do whatever works best for you. :smallsmile: