PDA

View Full Version : Soooo. My first (real) Psionic Pc.

Zephyros
2009-09-13, 02:31 AM
Hello Dear Playground,

I am gonna take a break from IRL DMing to attend the campaign of a childhood friend with whom I had lost touch some years now but finally we are reunited :smallsmile:...

What I have to ask you guys is this (taking into account that this is gonna be an optimized campaign with everything allowed except for Dragon Magazine materialwise) how do I go about building my Kalashtar Psychic Warrior?

The Campaign will start in Eberron at the Eldeen Reaches.

Questions:
1) Plz suggest me some feats/build at level 9 (if u wanna go all the way to the top its fine with me :smallbiggrin:)
2) Is this feat that mimics Mind Blade any good for a PsyWar? Can I boost that mind blade with Ancestral Relic/Item Familiar or sth? (I imagine roleplaying it like an awakened Quori Spirit framgent that joins battle with me and becomes my weapon.)
3)Any PrC in mind? Slayer or Warmind worth it for PsyWar?

My rolled stats are 14 15 14 15 16 11 and material allowed is everything but Dragon.

Thx for your help in advance :smallcool:

Zephyros
2009-09-13, 08:13 AM
:smallfrown:

apparently BUMB!

Myou
2009-09-13, 08:41 AM
I'd love to help, but I really don't know psionics at all. ^^;

Good luck though!

Starbuck_II
2009-09-13, 08:54 AM
Hello Dear Playground,

I am gonna take a break from IRL DMing to attend the campaign of a childhood friend with whom I had lost touch some years now but finally we are reunited :smallsmile:...

What I have to ask you guys is this (taking into account that this is gonna be an optimized campaign with everything allowed except for Dragon Magazine materialwise) how do I go about building my Kalashtar Psychic Warrior?

The Campaign will start in Eberron at the Eldeen Reaches.

Questions:
1) Plz suggest me some feats/build at level 9 (if u wanna go all the way to the top its fine with me :smallbiggrin:)
2) Is this feat that mimics Mind Blade any good for a PsyWar? Can I boost that mind blade with Ancestral Relic/Item Familiar or sth? (I imagine roleplaying it like an awakened Quori Spirit framgent that joins battle with me and becomes my weapon.)
3)Any PrC in mind? Slayer or Warmind worth it for PsyWar?

My rolled stats are 14 15 14 15 16 11 and material allowed is everything but Dragon.

Thx for your help in advance :smallcool:

Psiwarrrs can make their own mindblade with Call Weapon:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a

This might give idea:
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19539114/Psychic_Warrior_Build_Guide_38_Compendium_RevisedP sychic%20

What kind of character you building?

TheLogman
2009-09-13, 09:10 AM
The thing is, psions have to chose a discipline, one of 6 of them.

But without knowing what you want to focus on, or who else is in the party, we really can't suggest what to choose.

You mentioned wanting a weapon. If you want to do that, you should put your best stat into Intelligence, for casting, and then your next best stats into Strength and Constitution for killing.

Then, focus on Psychometabolism, with Expanded Knowledge feat to get any other combat feats you want, especially Metacreativity, for making your own weapons and armor.

Is there another spellcaster in your party? Do you need Battlefield control? Charming or Divining? Damage Dealing? Creation? Does your DM do a lot of puzzles? Do you want to summon?

The 6 disciplines:
Clairsentience

A psion who chooses clairsentience is known as a seer. Seers can learn precognitive powers to aid their comrades in combat, as well as powers that permit them to gather information in many different ways.

Metacreativity

A psion specializing in metacreativity is known as a shaper. This discipline includes powers that draw ectoplasm or matter from the Astral Plane, creating semisolid and solid items such as armor, weapons, or animated constructs to do battle at the shaper’s command.

Psychokinesis

Psions who specialize in psychokinesis are known as kineticists. They are the masters of powers that manipulate and transform matter and energy. Kineticists can attack with devastating blasts of energy.

Psychometabolism

A psion who specializes in psychometabolism is known as an egoist. This discipline consists of powers that alter the psion’s psychobiology, or that of creatures near him. An egoist can both heal and transform himself into a fearsome fighter.

Psychoportation

A psion who relies on psychoportation powers is known as a nomad. Nomads can wield powers that propel or displace objects in space or time.

Telepathy

A psion who chooses the discipline of telepathy is known as a telepath. He is the master of powers that allow mental contact and control of other sentient creatures. A telepath can deceive or destroy the minds of his enemies with ease.

Psionics is complex, and you have to specialize.

Zephyros
2009-09-13, 09:41 AM
@Starbuck:

Thx for the ACF on the PsyWarrior that was what I was looking for :smallbiggrin: Now I got the rest of the feats to decide on :smallredface:

I am gonna play the beatstick in that campaign as it already features a
1)Changeling Wizard/Recaster apostate from some criminal organization of Sharn TN
2)My IG sister is a Kalashtar Cloistered Cleric of Il Yannah who was abducted by some Daelkyr crazies (more on that later ) - LG
3)A Dwarven Factotum who works for Aurum (nasty little bugger I am curious how it ll work out IG with him) LE
4)A Human Artificer from house Cainnith LN

and me... Me and the Kalashtar Cleric have worked out some family backround and how I found her in the Daelkyr-infested-swamps, after she ran away from our Inspired masters. Yep that's right I am gonna play LE (which eventually will devolve into LN or TN). Initial orders from the Inspired just had me track her down and find out if she worked for the resistance, infiltrate her network and tear it up from the inside. When the Campaign starts its gonna be about 1 year that I 've found her and adventured with her. She values my help but still doesn't trust me enough to speak to me about Kalashtar rebels and their plans. So things in-game are gonna get emotional and talky//brash and stabby depending on how we fair with each other in-game.

I wanna be the kind of PsyWarrior that isn't easy to figure, that's why I didn't choose a material two-hander reach weapon and wanna go with the mind-blade thing. But other than that I am not set on anything...

@TheLogman: Thank you man... But I know psionics a bit and I am not building a Psion :) Thanks anyway.

EDIT: One more question. Is it worth it to dabble/splash in a ToB class??? What do you suggest? Is action economy gonna work in my favor or I am going to have to decide " power or strike on this round? "

Lycanthromancer
2009-09-13, 03:34 PM
You could take a dip in any number of other classes (such as monk - with Talashtora, crusader, etc), but I do prefer straight psychic warrior...at least until a nice PrC comes into play (see illithid slayer).

I generally take Linked Power (from Complete Psionic), then a 1 pp swift action power and either Psicrystal Containment or Psionic Meditation. That way you can buff each round using your swift actions, and you don't have to spend the whole combat wasting time while you buff up.

If you want the soulbound weapon ACF, you might also consider taking the Item Familiar feat, and perhaps Ancestral Weapon, so you can push even more awesomeness into an item or three (they'll certainly increase your effective WBL). 1 melee weapon + 1 ranged weapon + 1 armor for the cost of 2 feats and an ACF will let you spend considerably less on your equipment. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I'd take powers that you can get away with using without augmenting very far. A single-pp expansion (and a reach weapon) will go a long way in both keeping you relevant and conserving your power points. Maybe nab a glaive (for reach and trip attacks) and a spiked gauntlet (for making attacks in adjacent spaces). 20 ft reach for 1 pp is NOT a bad deal. (Improved Trip FTW.)

Also, look for powers that can be used in a broad array of circumstances. Strength of my enemy, for example, is good on both ranged and melee weapons (a bow of the wintermoon - with an automatically-adjusting Str score - is good for this). Metamorphosis is the epitome of such powers - nab it with Expanded Knowledge ASAP.

I could give you lots more details, and even a build or two, if you like.