PDA

View Full Version : Build for a Natural Attacker

Melamoto
2009-09-13, 05:57 AM
So, in an upcoming game which I may or may not be in, so far I'm set to play as a weakened avatar of Mak Thuum Ngatha. The game will be very high power (Full HP, 40 Point Buy, level 16 Gestalt), and so far my plan is to go as a Half-Farspawn character who uses his tentacles and possibly mental psionics to defeat his opponents.
The problem is that I can find no classes that will help advance my power with my tentacles, and no classes that don't suck for melee that have decent mental attacks with psionics.

In the case of the psionics, so far I have the idea of playing a Cleric and picking the appropriate domains; or a Favoured Soul. I'm also currently planning on Doppelganger, although this can be changed.

Edit: Just to clarify, I want to state that I don't want just a build which uses natural attacks. I want a build which uses the Half-Farspawn template and builds upon it's natural weaponry. Adding extra natural attacks is fine, but try to keep it reasonable.

JeminiZero
2009-09-13, 06:56 AM
Maybe take Necropolitan/Evolved Undead on one side of the Gestalt? The Strength bonus from evolved undead will advance your natural attack damage quite nicely.

The Geomancer PrC might interest you as well. It has some rather bad requirements that demand early qualification shenanigans, but it provides you with a bunch of additional natural attacks at higher levels. It also provides full advancement to 1 arcane or divine spellcasting class, but has the downside of requiring both arcane/divine lvl 2 spellcasting to qualify to start with (hence the early qualification shenanigans).

So something like 4 Half-Far-Spawn / 0 Necropolitan / 12 Evolved Undead // 1 Dread Necromancer / 3 Divine Base Class / 10 Geomancer / 2 Divine Base Class.

Grap Dread Necro Precocious Apprentice to qualify for Geomancer by level 5 (Dread Necro is picked rather than wizard because it gets rebuke undead and can qualify you for DMM cheese). For the divine base class, probably either spirit shaman or favored soul, since either can make use of Evolved Undead's Cha bonus. Although FS probably works better at turning yourself into a Buff Monster.

By ECL 14, you have 4 tentacle attacks from half far-spawn, and depending on what you pick for Geomancer, you can get another 2 talons, 1 bite, and maybe 2 gores (depending on whether your DM lets the 2 seperate Gore drift abilities qualify as 2 seperate natural weapons).

If you an FS, it might worthwhile getting Extra Spell: Superior Magic Fang that applies Greater Magic Fang bonus to all your natural weapons at once. DMM persist that along with all the other standard codzilla cheese.

Melamoto
2009-09-13, 07:03 AM
Maybe take Necropolitan/Evolved Undead on one side of the Gestalt?

Half-Farspawn makes you an Outsider, and Necropolitan makes you undead. I'm not sure that's legal, by SS Pyramid rules.

JeminiZero
2009-09-13, 07:24 AM
Half-Farspawn makes you an Outsider, and Necropolitan makes you undead. I'm not sure that's legal, by SS Pyramid rules.

Hmm... Maybe swap Half-Farspawn for another Template or Race with natural attacks? If that doesn't work out, you might consider taking a 2 hander + natural attack build. Because the Str and Cha bonus from evolved undead synergize really well with a DMM persist buff monster that can use the Cha bonus to gain extra turn attempts and bonus spells.

Also, the Illithid heritage series of feats can net you a couple more tentacle attacks, but is extremely feat hungry.

Melamoto
2009-09-13, 07:26 AM
Maybe swap Half-Farspawn for another Template or Race with natural attacks?
Just in case you didn't fully read the OP, or skimmed over the fine detail:

I'm set to play as a weakened avatar of Mak Thuum Ngatha
I had that template for a reason.

Also, currently, my plan is:

Half Farspawn Doppelganger

RHD 4/LA 8/Mindspy 4//Battle Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer) 11/Havoc Mage 5

In my Alien, non-disguised form, I would look very scary. Translucent grey creature with 6 glowing red eyes, a mouth that moves like rubber, containing huge sharp fangs; and a set of 4 tentacles growing out of my back. Seems to fit ol' Mak pretty well.

PinkysBrain
2009-09-13, 07:26 AM
There are two classical natural attack builds ...

The DPS builds, these use Claws of the Beast.

The level drain builds, these use Soul Eater and as many attacks as possible.

Any of these two interest you?

Melamoto
2009-09-13, 07:34 AM
There are two classical natural attack builds ...

The DPS builds, these use Claws of the Beast.

The level drain builds, these use Soul Eater and as many attacks as possible.

Any of these two interest you?
Soul Eater is pretty cool, and could fit well. But I'm not really sure that it's appropriate for Mak Thuum Ngatha, it would probably be better in the hands of Nerull or Orcus.

JeminiZero
2009-09-13, 07:36 AM
Just in case you didn't fully read the OP, or skimmed over the fine detail:

No I read that bit, but I had no idea who Mak is.

*one google search later*

Hmm, this is tricky. One suggestion that I can think of is to play an awakened skeleton of an aberration/outsider. That way you are alien (and retain full natural attacks), while still qualifying for evolved undead.

Melamoto
2009-09-13, 07:39 AM
No I read that bit, but I had no idea who Mak is.

*one google search later*

Hmm, this is tricky. One suggestion that I can think of is to play an awakened skeleton of an aberration/outsider. That way you are alien (and retain full natural attacks), while still qualifying for evolved undead.

Ok. Also, it would have to be Zombie; Half-Farspawn uses tentacles, which aren't skeletal. Although Zombies suck, so I guess it would have to be a Ghoul or Wight. There's probably another choice out there as well, I'll look it up.

playswithfire
2009-09-13, 07:54 AM
Started to post before seeing that Soul Eater had been rejected, so feel free to ignore:
Half-Farspawn Elan LA 4/Barbarian 1/Soul Eater 1/War Mind 10//Cloistered Cleric 16, possibly with some monk or unarmed swordsage mixed in on the cleric side would be a good natural weapon build