PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Base Class] Coroban Elite Infantry P.E.A.C.H

Veeda Vidlak
2009-09-13, 12:39 PM
Base Class: Coroban Elite Infantry

A Coroban Elite Infantry is the embodiment of the skilled, disciplined, and highly trained Coroban Army. These career soldiers are the best of the best and know that teamwork is the best way to crush opposition on the battlefield. They are masters of the tower shield and polearm and are the anchors of the famous Coroban testudo which allows the Coroban army to advance under heavy fire without fear. Coroban Elite Infantry gain benefits while fighting in formation with allied soldiers as well as bonuses with the tower shield. They also receive special training against cavalry that allows them to destroy mounted chargers with astoundingly little effort. There is little more fearsome than watching a perfectly lined formation of Coroban Elite Infantry marching slowly forward, spears and shields at the ready.

Requirements
Alignment: any nonchaotic
Special: Must be a trained soldier in the Coroban Army, must be medium sized

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
1st +1 +2 +0 +0 Discipline, Shieldmate, Polearm Expertise
2nd +2 +3 +0 +0 Unbreakable resolve, Tower Shield Mastery +1
3rd +3 +3 +1 +1 Loyalty
4th +4 +4 +1 +1 Charge Breaker
5th +5 +4 +1 +1 Testudo March, Bonus Feat
6th +6 +5 +2 +2 Improved Shieldmate, Tower Shield Mastery +2
7th +7 +5 +2 +2 Unfettered Loyalty
8th +8 +6 +2 +2 Balanced, Polearm Specialization
9th +9 +6 +3 +3 Improved Chargebreaker
10th +10 +7 +3 +3 Tower Shield Mastery +3, Improved Testudo Formation, Bonus Feat
11th +11 +7 +3 +3 Blast Shield
12th +12 +8 +4 +4 Heavy Thrust
13th +13 +8 +4 +4
14th +14 +9 +4 +4 Tower Shield Mastery +4
15th +15 +9 +5 +5 Ultimate Chargebreaker, Bonus Feat
16th +16 +10 +5 +5 Perfect Formation
17th +17 +10 +5 +5 Incorruptible
18th +18 +11 +6 +6 Tower Shield Mastery +5
19th +19 +11 +6 +6 Horseman’s Bane
20th +20 +12 +6 +6 Tower Shield Supremacy, Bonus Feat

Abilities

Hit Die: d12
BAB: As Fighter
Good Saves: Fortitude
Skills: 2 points/level (Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim)

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Coroban Elite Infantry is proficient with simple and martial weapons, all armor and all shields.

Discipline (Ex): A Coroban Elite Infantry adds his class level to all morale checks, constitution checks, and checks to resist trip, disarm, grapple, overrun, bull rush, and feint attempts.

Polearm Expertise (Ex): At 1st level, a Coroban Elite Infantry may wield any polearm they are proficient with in 1 hand without penalty.

Shieldmate: A Coroban Elite Infantry gains the Shieldmate feat at 1st level.

Unbreakable Resolve (Ex): At 2nd level a Coroban Elite Infantry is immune to all fear effects.

Tower Shield Mastery (Ex): At 2nd level, and again at 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level, a Coroban Elite Infantry gains a +1 bonus to AC when using a tower shield.

Loyalty (Ex): At 3rd level a Coroban Elite Infantry gains a +2 bonus on saves against charm and compulsion effects.

Chargebreaker (Ex): At 4th level a Coroban Elite Infantry learns advanced techniques against charging cavalry. If he is wielding a tower shield and polearm and readies an action against a charging, mounted enemy, he increases the damage multiplier against the charger by 1 (i.e. 2x becomes 3x and so on).

Testudo March (Ex): At 5rd level a Coroban Elite Infantry becomes extremely adept at marching in a testudo formation. If he is in a formation of soldiers using tower shields at least 4 wide and 3 deep and everyone moves at half-speed, he and all adjacent allies may apply their deflect arrows feat (if they have it) a number of times per round equal to their shield bonus to AC. Standard and full-round actions may not be made in a testudo.

Bonus Feat: At 5th level and again at 10th, 15th, and 20th level a Coroban Elite Infantry gains a bonus feat chosen from the bonus fighter feat list.

Improved Shieldmate: At 6th level a Coroban Elite Infantry gains the Improved Shieldmate feat.

Unfettered Loyalty (Ex): At 7th level a Coroban Elite Infantry gains another +2 bonus on saves against charm and compulsion effects.

Balanced (Ex): At 8th level a Coroban Elite Infantry no longer has a -2 penalty on attacks while using a tower shield.

Polearm Specialization (Ex): At 8th level a Coroban Elite Infantry gains a +4 bonus on damage rolls with a polearm.

Improved Chargebreaker (Ex): At 9th level a Coroban Elite Infantry that is wielding a polearm and readies an action against a charging, mounted foe negates any bonus damage or damage multiplier his enemy has when charging (the attack bonus still applies).

Improved Testudo March (Ex): At 10th level a Coroban Elite Infantry marching in a testudo formation may move at his normal speed (provided all other members also have improved testudo march).

Blast Shield (Ex): At 11th level a Coroban Elite Infantry becomes adept at using his shield to protect himself from area of effect attacks. If he is in a formation of soldiers at least 4 wide and 3 deep that are all using tower shields he and adjacent allies are treated as having evasion and may use their fortitude save in place of a reflex save.

Heavy Thrust (Ex): At 12th level if a Coroban Elite Infantry is using a polearm he may use the polearm in one hand and treat it as though it were being used in both hands.

Ultimate Chargebreaker (Ex): At 15th level a Coroban Elite Infantry becomes so adept at countering cavalry that he can literally turn the force of his enemies charge against them. If he is wielding a polearm and readies an action against a charging, mounted enemy, the bonus damage multiplier or bonus damage from the enemy’s charge is instead added to the Coroban Elite Infantry’s readied counterattack and stacks with any anti-charge bonus he might already have.

Perfect Formation (Ex): At 16th level, a Coroban Elite Infantry may take standard and full-round actions in a testudo without penalty.

Incorruptible (Ex): At 17th level a Coroban Elite Infantry becomes immune to all charm and compulsion effects.

Horseman’s Bane (Ex): At 19th level a Coroban Elite Infantry is treated as having readied an action against a charging, mounted enemy once per round even if he has not done so. This ability does not work if the Coroban Elite Infantry is caught flat-footed.

Tower Shield Supremacy (Ex): At 20th level, A Coroban Elite Infantry becomes one with his tower shield and can wield it in almost supernatural ways. He is considered to have total concealment against any enemy of his choice and all other enemies in the same hemisphere (relative to the Coroban Elite Infantry) as that enemy. (wording here might need work)

Note: The name of the class comes from a nation from my own campaign world I use when DMing. The class is meant to be powerful (for a melee class at least) because The Coroban Empire is the strongest military force in this campaign world. I tried to spread the better features out over the 20 levels to discourage dipping and the capstone ability needs to be very strong to ensure taking all 20 levels is worthwhile.

*Sorry about the lack of a table, I don't know how to put one in.*

The Blackbird
2009-09-13, 03:16 PM
The abilities, while not over-powered, seem pretty strong compared to other melee classes. That being said does it really need a d12 hit dice? Why not d10?

Dragon Elite
2009-09-13, 03:21 PM
put {table = head] w/o spaces, and [/ table] at the end. I agree, d10 is better.

Veeda Vidlak
2009-09-13, 03:25 PM
Thank you for telling me how to put a table in.

The class has d12 HD because the knight (Players Handbook 2) has d12 HD and this class is similar.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-13, 03:33 PM
BAB: As Fighter
Good Saves: Fortitude

Redundant. This information is provided in the table.

Skills: 2 points/level (Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, Use Rope)

Why Sense Motive? I'm not complaining, but it's unusual for fighter-types. Same goes for Use Rope. Additionally, armies are often on the move, so Survival might not be a bad skill to include.

Overall, looks good though.

Veeda Vidlak
2009-09-13, 03:43 PM
Redundant. This information is provided in the table.

Why Sense Motive? I'm not complaining, but it's unusual for fighter-types. Same goes for Use Rope. Additionally, armies are often on the move, so Survival might not be a bad skill to include.

Overall, looks good though.

I agree with you on use rope and survival.

Sense motive is in here for two reasons:
1. I've never liked how fighter types are vulnerable to feints (which makes no sense) due to the lack of sense motive as a class skill. Admittedly the inclusion of discipline makes this fairly meaningless.
2. These guys are supposed to be hard to trick. Because of this, I need to include bluff's counter as a class skill.

The Nightwalker
2009-09-13, 03:58 PM
so I'm guessing you use this class as a somewhat ranged/defensive fighter?

The Blackbird
2009-09-13, 08:46 PM
Your going to update the first post to include the corrections right?

Ah, good.

Veeda Vidlak
2009-09-15, 11:08 AM
so I'm guessing you use this class as a somewhat ranged/defensive fighter?

Ranged? :smallconfused:

This class has no abilities whatsoever that help it fight in ranged combat unless you count the testudo. It is definitely a defensive class though.

Silverraptor
2009-09-24, 06:54 PM
Oooooo. I like this class. Atleast, if I have other's around me with the same class. I'm the type that likes to be an impenatrable, advancing fortress.