PDA

View Full Version : Girl Thread IV

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

SMEE
2009-09-14, 08:14 AM
For the discussion of all things girly.
Guys be warned that we may unleash da gross stuff from time to time, so be ware all who tread here.

Also, please keep the spamming of "Oo I like girls, Pay attention to me girls!" down.

Thank you please drive through.

The old one was at page 50 and was almost one month old, so let us start a new one.

And to start the discussion...

Menstrual Cycle Woes!

My cycles are of 20 days. Funny, given that I shouldn't have them in the first place... I'm even considering to take the morning after pill after this period to see if it can regulate my cycle to the normal 28 days...

And I'm yet to find a painkiller that works for my cramps, which happen to be getting stronger with each cycle.

So girls... suggestions? :smallfrown:

Groundhog
2009-09-14, 08:31 AM
My cycle is pretty erratic too... Sometimes it's too long, sometimes it's too short. I usually just guess based on when I start to PMS.

As for the cramps, I usually take two extra-strength acetaminophen or ibuprofen (Tylenol or Advil) which take about an hour to work, but once they kick in, I can barely feel anything. If you've already tried that, then you probably need some sort of prescription painkiller.

Serpentine
2009-09-14, 08:37 AM
Smee, hope you don't mind my asking, but what is it, exactly, that's cramping? Isn't it normally the womb itself or something like that? Just curious.

I don't have cramps :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue: And I have pretty pathetic periods, what with Implanon and all...

dish
2009-09-14, 08:40 AM
And I'm yet to find a painkiller that works for my cramps, which happen to be getting stronger with each cycle.

So girls... suggestions? :smallfrown:

Ibuprofen sustained release capsules. Take them as soon as you feel the slightest twinge and then keep taking them at regular intervals so that the drug remains in your blood stream for the whole 48 hours (or however long your cramps usually last). Don't let it wear off. (If it does, I've found retiring to bed with a hot-water bottle, some chocolate, and a good book might not ease the pain, but does at least make it surviveable.)

My worry: My cycle is normally 28 days. This month it was 23. That's really nothing to worry about in the great scheme of things, but I've decided to worry about it anyway.

I'm worried that this is a sign that the peri-menopause is on its way, and I'll have to spend loads of money on IVF in order to get pregnant. Also, I don't want to be peri-menopausal. Also, I'm now out of phase with Phase. :smallfrown: Husband is telling me that I'm being silly and always worrying about things that aren't going to happen. Husband is right. So, there you go, this is me being silly.

Anuan
2009-09-14, 08:41 AM
Creams made from the oil of that...plant...the green one...that quacamole is made of...anyway. That, massaged into the sort of general ovarial region is supposedly -really- good for cramps of that type.

*will probably frequent this thread for educational purposes. Is thoroughly immune to being grossed out; after a discussion about menstrual blood-clots and having to scratch off dried blood, has lost all sense of grossness towards women's health.*

Groundhog
2009-09-14, 08:44 AM
I don't have cramps :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue: And I have pretty pathetic periods, what with Implanon and all...

You don't have cramps? Pardon me while I faint with jealousy.

Hormonal contraceptives scare me, mostly because I'm afraid of ending up with morning sickness. Certain smells already make me want to vomit, and I don't want to make it worse.

SMEE
2009-09-14, 08:45 AM
Smee, hope you don't mind my asking, but what is it, exactly, that's cramping? Isn't it normally the womb itself or something like that? Just curious.

Exactly. It's weird because I don't have a womb, but I get cramps.
The muscles where the womb should be get strong contractions during 3 to 4 days every 20 or so days... My body seems to think I have a womb and that I should be menstruating those days. :smallannoyed:

Today I am running on 1200 mg paracetamol. I'm slight dizzy due to it, but the pain reduced a bit...

Edit:

Ibuprofen sustained release capsules. Take them as soon as you feel the slightest twinge and then keep taking them at regular intervals so that the drug remains in your blood stream for the whole 48 hours (or however long your cramps usually last). Don't let it wear off. (If it does, I've found retiring to bed with a hot-water bottle, some chocolate, and a good book might not ease the pain, but does at least make it surviveable.)

My worry: My cycle is normally 28 days. This month it was 23. That's really nothing to worry about in the great scheme of things, but I've decided to worry about it anyway.

I'm worried that this is a sign that the peri-menopause is on its way, and I'll have to spend loads of money on IVF in order to get pregnant. Also, I don't want to be peri-menopausal. Also, I'm now out of phase with Phase. :smallfrown: Husband is telling me that I'm being silly and always worrying about things that aren't going to happen. Husband is right. So, there you go, this is me being silly.

Variations of up to 8 days in the cycle is considered normal, but your should talk to your gynecologist if that worries you. Sometimes some medicine you had to take during the month might have caused it to come earlier.
I saw it happen many times with my ex-fiancée, when I was still trying to pretend to be male.

Regarding Ibuprofen, it never worked for me... but the hot water bag and chocolate is something I tend to do to survive those days... :smallredface:

dish
2009-09-14, 08:51 AM
SMEE: Your body is obviously very clear about which gender it wants to be. So, umm, congratulations? (Have you mentioned this to the doctor?) Also, don't go for the paracetamol; go for the ibuprofen. It's much better. Edit: If ibuprofen doesn't work, then it's definintely time to talk about prescription painkillers.

Anuan: Do you mean avocado? And the cramps usually aren't in the ovaries (though I sometimes feel a pain there when I ovulate), it's more like being kicked in the gut.

Edit@SMEE^: I'm going to wait and see how long it goes next month, but there could certainly be a doctor's appointment in my near future.

Syka
2009-09-14, 08:56 AM
I have excrutiating cramps. Like, miss school/work cramps if I'm not on hormonal contraception. I've tried OTC, prescription- you name it, I've done it. Other than the Pill, it only takes an edge off and won't make me functional.

If you are still functional, ibuprofen is what has worked best for me. Caffine is also something that helps, surprisingly (it's why it's an ingrediant in Midol). Heating pads are lovely, although you tend to not be able to be mobile with them. Exercise, if you're able to get up and do it, helps tremendously as well.

If you are like me, try prescription pain killers. Ponstel is one I just had recommended to me, but it's...expensive and there was another one my pharmacist recommended. Best thing is to talk with your gyno about it. Unfortunately, I've not found an RX that worked on my cramps. The supposedly awesome RX I had when I was in high school was less effective then ibuprofen. *sigh* Haven't tried the ponstel yet.

But seriously- hormonal contraception is cramp win. You just have to find the right one. I'm on my fifth try (but I'm back on the second one I'd tried). The first one wore off, the second one wore off. On both my cramps got progressively worse after being awesome. So I tried a third, this time a regular dose (the others were low-doses) and tried it continously, only doing a break when my body was insisting on bleeding. Problem: it made me psycho and the cramps were no better than on the one I'd switched from.

So we moved me on to the second one, except it was an even lower dosage than before (I didn't know). I had one period on that and was honest to god ready to rip my uterus and ovaries out. It was the first time in SIX years I'd had cramps like pre-Pill, and I wanted to die. Literally die. But I wasn't psycho, thankfully.

I'm now on the REAL second one, non-psycho, and I haven't had a period since July. I won't be having one until October, thank God. (And if it doesn't come...I'll be very concerned :smalleek:.)

We also think I have endometriosis. Ultrasounds have found nothing, though, and I don't feel like doing a laproscopy. So I deal, but I've been having more and more between-period ovary-located pain...it's disconcerting and I may need another US despite having had one in January. Like, I'm getting the pain even as I type this. *headdesk*

....I seriously hate my uterus and ovaries sometimes. :smallfrown: And other than a hysterectomy (which I'm not considering...yet), there is no foolproof way to stop a period indefinitely.

Sorry for the novel. Can you tell I'm bitter about my reproductive system? We have a bit of a love-hate relationship.

ETA: And try not to OD on the meds. I nearly did that back in July on the hell period. I had...19 ibuprofen in 24 hours. That's right at the edge of the limit for a 'high dose' of ibuprofen that they'd prescribe- as in no prescription will call for more than that dosage in 24 hours. I was taking 3-4 every 4 or so hours. It was hell and I'm skittish about ibuprofen now. I asked the pharmacist at my job about it and they were...nervous about how many I'd taken. >>

Anuan
2009-09-14, 09:01 AM
Dish: Yes. Avacado. Alligator pear. Testical-fruit. Those things. Yes.Can you tell it's past midnight here?

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-14, 09:03 AM
I sometimes get horrible cramps, but they don't come with every period, and they're not awful enough to make me puke or anything, just hugely uncomfortable and painful.
It was rather funny, I was in the other room of my suite with the other 2 ladies, and my roommate pops her head in and says "My period just started, brace yourselves." Synchronization for the fail!

@V That's true, my cramps can be helped by walking around. I usually end up pacing anyway, since I'm too uncomfortable to sit and wait for the ibuprofen to work.

Raewyn
2009-09-14, 09:03 AM
I've heard it said that (light) exercise can also help menstrual cramps, assuming you're not in too much pain to do so.

*offers hugs... gently*

SMEE
2009-09-14, 09:09 AM
But seriously- hormonal contraception is cramp win. You just have to find the right one. I'm on my fifth try (but I'm back on the second one I'd tried). The first one wore off, the second one wore off. On both my cramps got progressively worse after being awesome. So I tried a third, this time a regular dose (the others were low-doses) and tried it continously, only doing a break when my body was insisting on bleeding. Problem: it made me psycho and the cramps were no better than on the one I'd switched from.

And there's where things get funny in my case. My cramps only happen because I take hormonal contraception pills.
The hormones have to come from somewhere, since I don't have the proper bits to produce the right hormones. >.>

I bike everyday, even when in so much pain. It helps a bit, but then I get to the office, sit down and things go awry yet again.

Agamid
2009-09-14, 09:15 AM
my cycle is horrific. often can't move for three days of every month. the only thing that i've found properly works is a good acupuncturist. my last one got me down from maximum painkillers and still unable to function to maybe 2 tablets for the whole week and able to go about life as normal.
Have also been told about a procedure where they severe some certain nerves and thus reduce the pain.
My old doctor told me i need to get pregnant... and while yes, after your first pregnancy pain is reduced, that's not the best thing to say to a teenaged girl...

this month has been an interesting cycle. i swear i ovulated twice and while period pain began right on time the actual period was over a week late. waiting to hear from doctors if it's anything they can explain.

usually i start bleeding bang on full moon and ovulate at new moon. But full moon was the weekend of the 4th and i only just started bleeding today, and the pain has just increased 10-fold.
i really need to find an acupuncturist here in canberra... and be able to afford one too...

Groundhog
2009-09-14, 09:16 AM
Exactly. It's weird because I don't have a womb, but I get cramps.
The muscles where the womb should be get strong contractions during 3 to 4 days every 20 or so days... My body seems to think I have a womb and that I should be menstruating those days. :smallannoyed:

Today I am running on 1200 mg paracetamol. I'm slight dizzy due to it, but the pain reduced a bit...

I'm guessing that it's because you've been taking hormones. My mom is going through menopause right now, and is therefore taking hormones, and her cramps have been getting really bad.

Syka
2009-09-14, 09:40 AM
You may want to see if they can back off the dosage or change it. I know estrogen can make endo worse (I think that's what happened in my case with the regular dosage I'd been on), so I'd guess it can also encourage cramping in general if your body chemistry doesn't like it (and trust me, my body generally hates changes, it really didn't like the regular dose at all).

Barring hormonal contraception, exercise, ibuprofen, caffeine, and heating pads are awesome. There are also some herbal things but I'm not familiar with them. I did hear eating more veggies and less salt can help.

Agamid, I got the same thing from my doctor! When I went in July to switch Pills (again), we were discussing options: the shot, implant, etc. She mentioned that sometimes getting pregnant can really help. There was a pause, quickly followed by, "But I wouldn't recommend that unless you already planned on a kid."

Me: "Yeah...I'm guessing telling your kids 'I had you so my cramps would get better' isn't the best reason. ;)"

The sad part is...it really CAN help. Too bad I don't want kids. :/

Dragonrider
2009-09-14, 09:43 AM
I'm on a 24-day cycle, and so is my mum, and so was my grandmother. That means that I spent about one-quarter of my life with my period, which SUCKS, but the same genes are the ones that mean I will probably have no trouble getting pregnant. :smalltongue: Curse or blessing?

The cramps I could do without, though.

My mum's doctor told her that most women who get them bad prepregnancy won't have them as much after, and vice versa. However, that's not always true.

Edit: Wow! Ninja'd!

Agamid
2009-09-14, 09:50 AM
really, caffeine? 'cause that's one of the things that makes my pain even worse. Caffeine, large meals, alcohol and cold consumables (like ice cream or iced drinks) if partaken of in the week before my period make it SO much worse.

unfortunately i can't be on any hormonal contraceptives except implanon all but implanon and the one (that i can never remember the name of) that you have in your uterus, thicken your blood and i can't be on blood thickeners. and my uterus is too small for the one that's name i can't remember.
And to be honest i just want something to lessen the pain, not otherwise upset my cycle. Don't like upsetting the natural order of my body unless it's inhibiting my ability to function.

Syka
2009-09-14, 09:58 AM
Mirena. I talked with my doc about that, but it doesn't stop periods and she doesn't like putting them in someone whose not had a child because it's harder to get it to fit the uterus. I've heard lovely things about Implanon, though.

Caffeine helps most people, definitely not all. Kinda like how I'm sure the painkiller they'd prescribed works for most people but it did absolutely nothing for me. As I said, so much depends on an individuals body chemistry.

Do you know if the mini-Pill thickens the blood? (It's a progestrone only Pill, not a combined contraceptive like the regular Pill is.)

SMEE
2009-09-14, 10:05 AM
You may want to see if they can back off the dosage or change it. I know estrogen can make endo worse (I think that's what happened in my case with the regular dosage I'd been on), so I'd guess it can also encourage cramping in general if your body chemistry doesn't like it (and trust me, my body generally hates changes, it really didn't like the regular dose at all).

Backing off the dosage isn't exactly an option until one or two years after the surgery. :smallredface:
The current dosage is finally working properly, with my hips getting wider, breasts growing steadly and all that stuff. :smallredface:

We tried changing brands, but to no avail. She says that I'll have to live with it until surgery, then it might stop.

Agamid
2009-09-14, 10:10 AM
Do you know if the mini-Pill thickens the blood? (It's a progestrone only Pill, not a combined contraceptive like the regular Pill is.)

i'm not sure... the quick searches i've done on the topic tell me that the mini-pill is especially for women with a history of blood clots, so one would assume that it wouldn't be a blood thickener, but i distinctly remember being told my my doctor that it wasn't an option for me... but maybe that's because of my low blood pressure not my stroke risk... i don't know, it's been a while since i spoke about contraceptives with a doctor.
(Having no sex drive what-so-ever means i don't really have much use for it except if it can stop the period pain).

Syka
2009-09-14, 10:20 AM
Eh, but it can be worth it to stop the pain. I was on the Pill six years before it started getting any sort of work out as a pregnancy deterrent because I couldn't function 2-3 days out of the month. As I said, I have heard good things about Implanon so it may be worth taking a looksee.

Good luck.

Here's to ridding one's self of cramps.

SMEE, good luck with surgery and all. I know how bad it sucks when different brands don't change anything. I'd probably invest in some of those heating pads like IcyHot and all that you can just stick on you. I know some people don't like them, but at least you won't be tied to a wall socket to use a heating pad. ;)

Perenelle
2009-09-14, 10:55 AM
I feel lucky now, considering the fact that I don't get cramps. In fact, I rarely have pain at all. I mean my back will hurt sometimes but if I take Ibuprofen its gone. Running also helps.

Do a lot of people tend to have painful menstrual cycles?

Even if I don't have pain its still the most annoying week of the month. :smallannoyed:

Raewyn
2009-09-14, 11:09 AM
Do a lot of people tend to have painful menstrual cycles?

Oh, very yes (even after the birth control, which at least keeps things short[er]). I also have a hell of a time dealing with pads, and bleeding through my underwear/pants when said pad is just a titch out of position. To pre-emptively respond to the "Use tampons!" crowd, I'm horribly behymenated, so my attempts at tampon wearing have led to a lot of pain and a whole lot more leaking. I have in all seriousness considered buying Depends or something.

Sorry for the TMI, I'm a bit cranky this morning (not due to PMS, FYI :smallwink:).

Lord Blace
2009-09-14, 11:11 AM
I believe I recall my ex had her period start every full moon. I know it wasn't the moon or some-such, but really, she did.
She told me she had some bad cramps towards the middle of her cycle, but they didn't last too long.

dish
2009-09-14, 11:13 AM
Oh, very yes (even after the birth control, which at least keeps things short[er]). I also have a hell of a time dealing with pads, and bleeding through my underwear/pants when said pad is just a titch out of position. To pre-emptively respond to the "Use tampons!" crowd, I'm horribly behymenated, so my attempts at tampon wearing have led to a lot of pain and a whole lot more leaking. I have in all seriousness considered buying Depends or something.

Sorry for the TMI, I'm a bit cranky this morning (not due to PMS, FYI :smallwink:).

Have you tried a menstrual cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_cup)? The more I use my Moon cup, the more I like it.

Edit: I just re-read your post. Sorry, I'd missed the bit about the hymen. In that case I suspect a menstrual cup would cause the same problems as tampons. (I couldn't use tampons until my hymen was gone.)

Perenelle
2009-09-14, 11:15 AM

I dont use tampons unless I'm going swimming or something. I generally try to avoid using them since freak me out a bit. :smallredface:

Pika...
2009-09-14, 11:27 AM
Creams made from the oil of that...plant...the green one...that quacamole is made of...anyway. That, massaged into the sort of general ovarial region is supposedly -really- good for cramps of that type.

*will probably frequent this thread for educational purposes. Is thoroughly immune to being grossed out; after a discussion about menstrual blood-clots and having to scratch off dried blood, has lost all sense of grossness towards women's health.*

Eh. I never really found it gross to begin with. It's perfectly natural and normal.

I go couponing, so I get my little sister those pad things free at the store. Then sell the others to my female relatives dirt cheap to help them out.

It's when you get into unnatural things like needles that I start freaking out a bit.

p.s. I am so happy to not have to go through this issue myself, though I hope I can learn to be helpful if I ever get a wife. What can a guy do to help/be supportive during that time period?

dish
2009-09-14, 11:45 AM
@Pika: Well, while I have never had any problems with PMS, strangely enough, my husband chooses exactly those days to become incredibly annoying. :smallwink:

So, be aware that it might be you find some days you are just going to be wrong no matter what you've actually done. Don't worry about it. It'll pass.

SMEE
2009-09-14, 11:48 AM
I have to admit that I'm jealous of the bleeding cis-girls get during that time of the month. :smallfrown:

The fact that I'll never have to wear tampons or pads also means that I'll never get pregnant... v.v

dish
2009-09-14, 12:01 PM
I'm sorry SMEE. I guess maybe one day medical science will be able to do it, but ...

thorgrim29
2009-09-14, 12:05 PM
Just a little pop to tell you girls to be carefull with the ibuprofen, these thing can play hell with your liver if you take too much. My mom had to have her ...."small organ that holds surplus bile that I have no idea what is called in english but goes by the charming name of "vesicule biliaire" in french" mostly because of her overconsumption of advil. And the doctor said it had been a close call on her liver and that she had to be carefull about it. So, you know, while I'm sure being in horrible pain is not fun at all, try not to take too much, the liver is relatively easy to transplant but still.

Oh and quick question, out of curiosity, how would you describe the cramps? Hunger pangs, bad hangover, punched in the gut, a bit of each, something else?

Keld Denar
2009-09-14, 12:11 PM
What can a guy do to help/be supportive during that time period?

Wear a hardhat and athletic protector and keep knives out of easy reach. Oh, you mean be supportive of HER. Right...different women react differently. I dated a girl for a while who wanted absolutely nothing to do with me, or people in general, during that time. Another always got frisky around when her PMS would start, citing that the hormones and chemicals produced during orgasm alleviated a lot of her cramping/symptoms. Regardless, you can seldom go wrong with a good back massage and a bit of pampering, which also score you brownie points during the rest of the month as well. As with everything else in a relationship, talk to your partner. If she doesn't know, try just being generally helpful and ask for feedback.

My friend Betsy was on the Nuva ring for a while, and I've seen advertisement on TV for it. She said it was great, and she'd only ever been with one guy who had "size issues" with leaving it in during intercourse. Other than that, she could never feel it when it was in, and it didn't make her crazy. Anyone else have experience with it?

Also, you don't see commercials for the BC patches anymore. Do those still exist?

EDIT:
^^ you mean gall bladder? Or appendix?

And yea, ibuprofin is pretty hard on your liver. I think the maximum dosage is around 600 mg (3 200 mg tablets) per 8 hours, which means more than 9 in a day is rough. *Bad things usually only happen from extended usage, through, so 9 tablets a day for 3 days once a month generally won't cause any problems. Livers are pretty resiliant.

*Keld is not a doctor or pharmascist. Please consult your doctor about regular use of OTC meds and dosages. <3

The Neoclassic
2009-09-14, 12:13 PM
Just a little pop to tell you girls to be carefull with the ibuprofen, these thing can play hell with your liver if you take too much. My mom had to have her ...."small organ that holds surplus bile that I have no idea what is called in english but goes by the charming name of "vesicule biliaire" in french" mostly because of her overconsumption of advil. And the doctor said it had been a close call on her liver and that she had to be carefull about it. So, you know, while I'm sure being in horrible pain is not fun at all, try not to take too much, the liver is relatively easy to transplant but still.

Thanks for the warning but isn't that like... If you take six ibuprofen pills a day, every day, for years? I doubt taking 2-6/month for cramps would do that to someone. All painkillers come with risks if overused, but if it's "Take a few today, like I do every fourth week of the month" or "I cannot get out of bed," you understand why most people pick the former.

Oh and quick question, out of curiosity, how would you describe the cramps? Hunger pangs, bad hangover, punched in the gut, a bit of each, something else?

I always describe it as feeling like I have an unpleasantly tender sack of goo in my lower abdomen. :smallannoyed: I despise cramps, even though I know mine aren't that terrible compared wih those of many women.

Perenelle
2009-09-14, 12:36 PM

Well with the very few times I've had cramps it feels like someone is stabbing me. Short bursts of sharp pain kind of thing. :smallannoyed:
you might get a better answer out of those who get cramps a lot.

dish
2009-09-14, 12:41 PM
Overdosing on any medication is obviously a really bad idea and something to be avoided at all costs. Over the counter painkillers should only be used when needed and should never be used every day.

However,

While generally safe for human use at recommended doses, acute overdoses (above 1000 mg per single dose and above 4000 mg per day for adults, above 2000 mg per day if drinking alcohol) of paracetamol can cause potentially fatal liver damage and, in rare individuals, a normal dose can do the same; the risk is heightened by alcohol consumption. Paracetamol toxicity is the foremost cause of acute liver failure in the Western world, and accounts for most drug overdoses in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand.

Ibuprofen overdose has become common since it was licensed for over-the-counter use. There are many overdose experiences reported in the medical literature, although the frequency of life-threatening complications from ibuprofen overdose is low. Human response in cases of overdose ranges from absence of symptoms to fatal outcome in spite of intensive care treatment. [...]Rarely more severe symptoms such as [...] hepatic dysfunction, acute renal failure, [...] have been reported.
Thus, it is actually quite easy to overdose on paracetamol (especially if alcohol is involved). Paracetamol overdose is the leading cause of acute liver failure in the Western world.
It is harder to overdose on ibuprofen (even when drinking alcohol). Ibuprofen overdose sometimes causes liver dysfunction or kidney failure, but only rarely causes death.

SMEE
2009-09-14, 12:44 PM
Mine feels like a punch to the gut... several times a day.

There are bursts of pain, then some time of peace, where pain is very bearable followed by a huge burst of pain...
Not fun times.

Trog
2009-09-14, 12:45 PM
p.s. I am so happy to not have to go through this issue myself, though I hope I can learn to be helpful if I ever get a wife. What can a guy do to help/be supportive during that time period?
If she is whiney and miserable (both quite understandable given the circumstances) I have found doting on her or taking on chores she normally does (or both) works well enough. Don't expect cartwheels out of her for you doing so though. If she is grumpy instead take on the chores, skip the doting and give her some room.

All of this varies depending on your spouse but generally this seemed to be the pattern that had worked out the best during my marriage. Your mileage may vary, etc., etc.

Syka
2009-09-14, 12:48 PM
What guys can do: listen 'cause each girl will be distinctly different. With me I just want cuddles and maybe some 'fun' time. It is likely I will complain about cramps and depending on which Pill I'm on PMS for two-three days is a possibility. You will get warning, so either stick around and accept it or leave- either one is OK. Also, don't blame something on PMS unless you've already had the girl say it's PMS.

SMEE, I think the two of us need to talk to our doctors and see if there is a way to do a uterus transplant. I would gladly donate mine to you, as you'd likely use it. :smallwink: I really do wish they'd do uterus transplants...

On cramps: it's different than any other cramp I've had. When I had gastroenteritis, they were nearly as bad as my period cramps but it felt different. Stomach cramps, hunger pangs, getting hit with stuff- all give a different feeling. The closest I can get to describing them is feeling like my lower abdomen is in a vice. It's being compressed at the same time something is stabbing it. It tends to be an achy 'dull' pain, but dull not in regards to how bad it hurts but more in the fact that it's not sharply defined by being in one area. It kinda...melds. EDIT: As others have said, there do tend to be 'bursts' of more pain, but before the Pill all I knew was that my entire lower abdomen was in excruciating pain and if that pain varied, God if I know. The description here is what I get post-Pill. Some periods are worse than others, but it's bearable most of the time at least.

When I'm getting the pain at my ovaries it tends to be a bit sharper, more focused, but not 'hot'. It's still the achy sort of thing sometimes with stabbing.

It's just really hard to describe. I've experienced several types of abdominal cramping, but none of them are the same feeling as menstrual cramps.

Coidzor
2009-09-14, 12:53 PM

So if putting in the tampon won't break it... what will? And how frowned upon is it to suggest considering just biting the bullet and breaking it yourself?

...I'm just suddenly having flashbacks to when one of my ex's said that she thought that I hadn't broken her hymen but was just bruising it and that was why she was experiencing such pain if we did... certain things.

thorgrim29
2009-09-14, 01:08 PM
Well of course half a dozen a month is alright, but someone was talking about 25 a day or so.... And while it may be true that only a massive overdose can cause instant liver failure, taking a lot regularely (as in, dozen or so each week) can, from what I've been told, cause long term problems. So, you know, if you need to take some, go for it, but if they don't work at a normal dose, try something else, everyone's different, that's why they have lots of pills (well, that and $)

and that sounds very painfull.... So kind of like a very bad back spasm, only all day, in your gut.... How do you even sleep?

I gotta say, I'm sure being a woman has all sorts of advantages, but our hardware (see what I did there, there are not enough lame puns in this thread) requires a lot less maintenance.

Dragonrider
2009-09-14, 01:11 PM
Mine usually are worst somewhere in the 3-7 PM range, so sleeping isn't an issue...on the other hand, I lose all appetite during that time and then am ravenous around bedtime because I didn't eat much dinner.

Perenelle
2009-09-14, 01:17 PM
How do you even sleep?

We find ways.

and lower back pain is very annoying. It hurt a lot when I used to sit or lay down, so I had to stand up and pace around while waiting for ibuprofen to kick in. Luckily I haven't had that problem in a couple months now.

Pika...
2009-09-14, 02:12 PM
I see. Thanks for the information ladies, and Trog.

I hope I get one who wants the doting. That would be a nice bonus out of the whole issue.

Castaras
2009-09-14, 02:37 PM
My periods are weird. I sometimes get immense pain that makes me curl up on the floor for a few hours. But sometimes nothing happens, and it's just a normal day. Really weird.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-14, 03:27 PM
My periods have become entirely painless now that my sisters don't live with me. >.>

...what? They're crazy, I'm telling you! *hides*

Raewyn
2009-09-14, 04:01 PM
So if putting in the tampon won't break it... what will? And how frowned upon is it to suggest considering just biting the bullet and breaking it yourself?

For the first question, I'm due for my annual gynecological exam in a month or two... and since I'm 21, it's gonna be pap smear time, so I think I'll get it done for me (unless of course, they refuse to do it, in which case, I'm boned *badumtisch*).

As for the second... I'm not, how you say, terribly comfortable with myself. I've tried to commission Boyfriend's help in the matter, but the whole plan falls apart when I start screaming and crying. I've got a 'get really drunk and try again' plan in the works, but I've yet to implement it (in part because of the health risks and in part because I'm afraid it won't work).

It's like the sucker's made of iron or something... :smallannoyed:

The Neoclassic
2009-09-14, 04:10 PM
For the first question, I'm due for my annual gynecological exam in a month or two... and since I'm 21, it's gonna be pap smear time, so I think I'll get it done for me (unless of course, they refuse to do it, in which case, I'm boned *badumtisch*).

As for the second... I'm not, how you say, terribly comfortable with myself. I've tried to commission Boyfriend's help in the matter, but the whole plan falls apart when I start screaming and crying. I've got a 'get really drunk and try again' plan in the works, but I've yet to implement it (in part because of the health risks and in part because I'm afraid it won't work).

It's like the sucker's made of iron or something... :smallannoyed:

As to the second, if it's that painful, you might try talking to your gynecologist about that. She might be able to help (or at least figure out why it's that painful).

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-14, 04:12 PM
I'm sorry, Rae. That sounds like it sucks. A lot. *hugs*

...I'd be pretty freaked out about forcing someone to hurt me there. O_o

Coidzor
2009-09-14, 04:24 PM
Well, it's not usually very traumatic unless it lingers on like hers has.

And, uh, if you're relying on the boyfriend's knowledge... you really, really need to get to know yourself then, as you really shouldn't have put him in the position of having to either chicken out of breaking it or transgressing into the whole partner rape haze...:smalleek:

But it's good you're finally going to see the gynecologist about it... But, make sure you bring it up and are willing to talk about it rather than wimping out and shutting down about it.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-14, 04:26 PM
Well, it's not usually very traumatic unless it lingers on like hers has.

And, uh, if you're relying on the boyfriend's knowledge... you really, really need to get to know yourself then, as you really shouldn't have put him in the position of having to either chicken out of breaking it or transgressing into the whole partner rape haze...

Right. I mean, it sounds like it'd be safer to do it yourself than rely on him. Doesn't sound pleasant at all, though...

*hugs*...good luck, hun. Hope the docs can help you.

Raewyn
2009-09-14, 04:39 PM
Bah, I shouldn't have said anything... *feels like a giant failure*

But nobody's being forced into anything... by the way. :smallredface:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-14, 04:43 PM
Bah, I shouldn't have said anything... *feels like a giant failure*

But nobody's being forced into anything... by the way. :smallredface:

I think we're talking about force in the physical sense. Not...you know. *snuggles*

And don't feel like a failure. Everyon'e built differently. I just worry about you, cause...you know, you're my friend. *hugs*

And friends don't like friends hurting. Even if it is something that I really can't offer any advice or help on. *ruffles hair*

Pyrian
2009-09-14, 04:48 PM
Raewyn, I'm going to have to echo the advice to see a Gynecologist. The problem you've described and variants thereof are far more common than most people realize. These sorts of things are almost invariably treatable by a professional, and usually very difficult otherwise.

Raewyn
2009-09-14, 05:05 PM
Raewyn, I'm going to have to echo the advice to see a Gynecologist. The problem you've described and variants thereof are far more common than most people realize. These sorts of things are almost invariably treatable by a professional, and usually very difficult otherwise.

Thanks Pyr. I sorta inherited my dad's tendency to not ask people for help, so it's really hard for me to do these sorts of things. Also I explained myself badly. Sorry for the bother and freaking everybody out. :smallfrown:

EDIT: Oh, and I can't take my anti-depressants because they're making me throw up (again), so don't feel bad that I'm a giant miscommunicating spazz, okay guys?

Coidzor
2009-09-14, 05:54 PM
Nah, I just reacted badly due to memories of something similar with a girlfriend in the past who wouldn't ask for help or even bring it up with her doctor but would blame me for all of it by getting her sexually active.

Pyrian's words are as wise as his hat is wide. *nod nod*

I must say though, that's a pretty weird side effect from anti-depressants.

Raewyn
2009-09-14, 06:30 PM
I must say though, that's a pretty weird side effect from anti-depressants.

My theory is that it's actually the capsules they come in versus the medication. My previous medication was the same way, with the same terrible side effects. My stomach just doesn't react with them well (and it seems like alcohol aggravates the problem). The medication does come in a tablet instead, and I'll talk to my shrink tomorrow.

I'm sorry that you had problems with your girlfriend. *hug*

Anyway, I'm turning to this into a clone of the Depression Thread...

Makeup! Discuss! :smallbiggrin:

Anuan
2009-09-14, 06:40 PM
I'm voting Gyno as well, tbh.

Wierd, I've always imagined the period cramps as being somewhat similar to a kick to the testicles, only, like...Internal.

I had some, uh...problems there, involving a blunt impact...which for a long time causes spontaneous pain in the lower-stomach region and...below...because the nerves there are connected.
*Feels a strange sort of sympathetic connection with girls with period-pain.*

Edit: on makeup, girls look best with -maybe- some foundation, some mascara, and a little bit of eyeshadow in an interesting colour. Eyeliner isn't nice.

Perenelle
2009-09-14, 07:00 PM
I dont wear much makeup. just a little bit of foundation and thats about it. I dont want to go plastering it onto my face or anything.

SMEE
2009-09-14, 07:07 PM
On make up, all I wear is some lipstick.

I'm still trying to learn how to use shadow properly.

Groundhog
2009-09-14, 07:37 PM
I generally don't wear makeup, mostly because the makeup I own is only good for really fancy occasions. Also because I'm too lazy to put it on in the morning.

Dragonrider
2009-09-14, 07:38 PM
I've been wearing makeup a lot more recently (about half the time), but not a lot of it. I mean, foundation, eye shadow, yeah, but the colors are really subtle and it's not even POSSIBLE to overdo it. I know, because I tried once when I was bored. :smallwink:

Thatguyoverther
2009-09-14, 07:46 PM
I always thought that makeup was cheating. Along with high heels and wonder bras. I'm glad there's no contemporary male equivalent, I'd look terrible in a codpiece.

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-14, 07:59 PM
I'll wear makeup for formal events, but not daily. And when I do it's usually nothing more than concealer, mascara and lipstick in very small quantities.

Anuan
2009-09-14, 09:00 PM
See, this is part of the reason all the girls on the playground are so lovable. They're natural :smallwink:

Agamid
2009-09-14, 09:08 PM
i wear make up on occasion. more than i used to but still not every day. if i'm going out at night i'll definitely throw on some eyeliner and usually a bit of lipstick, but beyond that i don't often expand - though you wouldn't think it to look at my extensive range of make-ups.
Eyeliner. My favourite make-up tool. can do so much with it.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-14, 09:09 PM

I wish I could use it. :smallfrown: I've tried to use eyeliner, but it requires a steady hand which I entirely lack. Lipstick, eye shadow, and mascara is all I can manage (and only on a day I feel particularly inspired).

Perenelle
2009-09-14, 09:10 PM

I've never used eyeliner. I always thought i'd poke my eyes out or something. :smalltongue:

THAC0
2009-09-14, 09:13 PM
I'm allergic to make-up. So only on special occasions (like Thursday hurray!) and then only a certain talc-free brand.

Jacklu
2009-09-14, 09:53 PM
Make-up.... Dear me... Okay, I will save everyone here by simply stating that I dun understand the most basic principles of make-up and have never felt it was necessary in any case outside of stage production and Halloween.

Dragonrider
2009-09-14, 10:28 PM
No different than wearing clothes because you know they flatter you particularly.

For what it's worth...I used to be staunchly anti-makeup. However, when I have self-esteem issues I find that it makes me feel better. Also it covers up acne. That's good. :smallbiggrin:

Pika...
2009-09-14, 10:48 PM
As a guy I personally feel a girl who looks nice without makeup is much better than a girl who needs makeup to look good.

Hell Puppi
2009-09-14, 10:51 PM
I wear make-up pretty much every day, unless I know I'm going to be doing something where it would be pointless to wear it. Eyeliner, too, most of the time. No lipstick though. It's just such a pain. You have to constantly put it on, then it rubs off after one soda-sip and you have to worry about it getting rubbed off on your teeth. Lip gloss/chapstick is where it's at for me.

And push-up bras. My girls are not losing the battle against gravity early. :smalltongue:

Pika...
2009-09-14, 10:59 PM
And push-up bras. My girls are not losing the battle against gravity early. :smalltongue:

I have wondered, are they really worth the hassle, price, and I imagine discomfort? Or are they simply a left over cultural phenomenon from the corset then girdle ages?

Dragonrider
2009-09-14, 11:00 PM
As a guy I personally feel a girl who looks nice without makeup is much better than a girl who needs makeup to look good.

Makeup usually just enhances someone who's already pretty. Or, in some cases, makes them look worse, but that's usually the Clods of Black Eyeliner look.

Hell Puppi
2009-09-14, 11:03 PM
I have wondered, are they really worth the hassle, price, and I imagine discomfort? Or are they simply a left over cultural phenomenon from the corset then girdle ages?

Actually I just shop when they're on sale and make sure to buy ones that actually fit me. In reality they're more comfortable than similar un-padded cotton bras for me as long as, again, I pick one that actually fits. The real hassle is going to the fitting rooms and sifting through them. After that they're no problem and are very comfortable.

Dragonrider
2009-09-14, 11:05 PM
I need new bras. :smallyuk: They are, unfortunately, expensive (good ones), and the ones I have aren't that old. It's just that I only have two.

Coidzor
2009-09-14, 11:08 PM
Indeed. That seems to be a dangerous bra shortage. :smalleek: I mean, one wrong move with some scissors or while moving furniture...

You should be able to find some reasonably comfortable ones, just, y'know, with sifting.

Pika...
2009-09-14, 11:08 PM
Actually I just shop when they're on sale and make sure to buy ones that actually fit me. In reality they're more comfortable than similar un-padded cotton bras for me as long as, again, I pick one that actually fits. The real hassle is going to the fitting rooms and sifting through them. After that they're no problem and are very comfortable.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

I was under the impression that they were like high-heels; self-torture women put themselves through to fit the concept of beauty in our society.

Dragonrider
2009-09-14, 11:12 PM
Indeed. That seems to be a dangerous bra shortage. :smalleek: I mean, one wrong move with some scissors or while moving furniture...

You should be able to find some reasonably comfortable ones, just, y'know, with sifting.

Money. :smallsigh: 11 dollars for the cheapest Wal-Mart brand; looking at at least 40 for a good one, probably closer to 60. And I needz good ones because I haz teh boobies. :smallannoyed:

Pika...
2009-09-14, 11:14 PM
Makeup usually just enhances someone who's already pretty. Or, in some cases, makes them look worse, but that's usually the Clods of Black Eyeliner look.

I see. I guess you would know best on the subject.

I guess I just prefer girls who don't use it? I know I have always been a pretty face guy (I rather look at a girl's pretty face than at her cleavage).

However, I will admit I have always been attracted to the goth and similar (such as many anime girls...) makeup look on girls. Does that make me a hypocrite?

Coidzor
2009-09-14, 11:15 PM
^: Depends on how alienating you are with your comments, I imagine whether it's more negative or just more chatter.

Ahh. My exes could use the wal-mart ones to increase the lifespan of their favorites due to being only about 34Bs or so. Hmm... I guess that's incentive to see if you can handle job juggling?

Or getting your parents to give you cash due to you being woefully short on underwear. That's generally something that guilt-trips them...

Pika...
2009-09-14, 11:15 PM
Money. :smallsigh: 11 dollars for the cheapest Wal-Mart brand; looking at at least 40 for a good one, probably closer to 60. And I needz good ones because I haz teh boobies. :smallannoyed:

You can always do what the women during the 60s and 70s did.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-09-14, 11:18 PM
No different than wearing clothes because you know they flatter you particularly.

Finally, someone else who knows what I'm saying.
Its nothing more than an accessory, like a pair of shoes or a necklace, and, I'll tell you, saying "I don't like girls who only look good in makeup" is ridiculous.
I'm going to be mean and shallow, as a fellow appreciator of women, and say that if a girl doesn't look good without makeup, there's no way applying eyeliner, mascara, lipstick, foundation, eyeshadow, and whatever else will make a woman look good.
Shooping and editing can, though, and I feel like a lot of the time people who make comments like Pika are blaming the pretty-in-magazines-but-not-real-life spiel on makeup, when its simply just not the case.

Pika...
2009-09-14, 11:20 PM
Ahh. My exes could use the wal-mart ones to increase the lifespan of their favorites due to being only about 34Bs or so. Hmm... I guess that's incentive to see if you can handle job juggling?

Or getting your parents to give you cash due to you being woefully short on underwear. That's generally something that guilt-trips them...

Didn't she recently turn 18?

She should probably ask her mom.

If I was a dad, and my recently turned 18 year old daughter started asking for money to buy new lingerie I would become a little worried.

Hell Puppi
2009-09-14, 11:20 PM
However, I will admit I have always been attracted to the goth and similar (such as many anime girls...) makeup look on girls. Does that make me a hypocrite?

You like well done make-up. Nothing really wrong with that. :smalltongue:

'I like a girl without make-up' seems to be the default setting for most guys, but when it comes down to it, they either don't notice if you are/are not wearing it, or like obvious but well-done make-up.
It's okay to say it looks decent as long as you do it right. :smalltongue:

You can always do what the women during the 60s and 70s did.
Yeah but sometimes it hurts to not wear a bra (for some woman, myself included), so going free isn't the best option....and again gravity: the eternal enemy.

Man one thing I miss about my old job: $50-$60 bras for free.

Dragonrider
2009-09-14, 11:25 PM
Yeah but sometimes it hurts to not wear a bra (for some woman, myself included), so going free isn't the best option....and again gravity: the eternal enemy.

I SLEEP in one. I realize this makes me weird. However, I'm just not comfortable without one. :smalltongue: Also not wearing it LOOKS awful.

And yeah, I DID tell my mum, but then we never got around to shopping for one. Part of the problem is that in my hometown we have three options: Wal-Mart, J.C. Penny, or the internet. And while my current bras are internet-bought (title nine) I'm not doing that again because they fit OKAY but not great.

Pika...
2009-09-14, 11:26 PM
Finally, someone else who knows what I'm saying.
Its nothing more than an accessory, like a pair of shoes or a necklace, and, I'll tell you, saying "I don't like girls who only look good in makeup" is ridiculous.
I'm going to be mean and shallow, as a fellow appreciator of women, and say that if a girl doesn't look good without makeup, there's no way applying eyeliner, mascara, lipstick, foundation, eyeshadow, and whatever else will make a woman look good.
Shooping and editing can, though, and I feel like a lot of the time people who make comments like Pika are blaming the pretty-in-magazines-but-not-real-life spiel on makeup, when its simply just not the case.

My apologies. Maybe that is the case. Maybe I am wrong (probably am).

I just have many female relatives around my age. Not the best lookers normally, but they always manage to make themselves a few folds prettier when at social events. I always saw it largely due to makeup, but I could be wrong.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-09-14, 11:30 PM
My apologies. Maybe that is the case. Maybe I am wrong (probably am).

I just have many female relatives around my age. Not the best lookers normally, but they always manage to make themselves a few folds prettier when at social events. I always saw it largely due to makeup, but I could be wrong.

Some women look prettier in some kinds of clothes, don't they?
Eyeliner and eye shadow's purpose is to make eyes pop. Mascara darkens eyelashes so its possible to see just how long your natural eye lashes are.
Lipgloss and lipstick brings attention to how plump lips are.

The only thing I can't understand is blush. An artificial pinkness to the cheeks just isn't attractive to me.
I'd rather make someone blush on my own.

Bras. Ugh, bras. Can't live without them, cause its just too uncomfortable. But, damn, they're all so expensive, and, unlike any other garment of clothing, I don't think you can just make one.
Its frustrating =/

Pika...
2009-09-14, 11:32 PM
You like well done make-up. Nothing really wrong with that. :smalltongue:

'I like a girl without make-up' seems to be the default setting for most guys, but when it comes down to it, they either don't notice if you are/are not wearing it, or like obvious but well-done make-up.
It's okay to say it looks decent as long as you do it right. :smalltongue:

Thanks. :smallsmile:

I guess there is nothing wrong with liking both sides/extremes.

YYeah but sometimes it hurts to not wear a bra (for some woman, myself included), so going free isn't the best option....and again gravity: the eternal enemy.

Man one thing I miss about my old job: $50-$60 bras for free.

Really?

Wow. That is news to me. I always figured it'd be more comfortable, since it is the "natural"/"normal" way humans were intended to be.

Then again, I never accounted for clothes, so that probably was stupid of me...

And well, yeah. I guess if there was something for guys to keep their family jewels from sagging we'd probably wear it. So I can see the logic there.

Trog
2009-09-14, 11:33 PM
>.>
<.<

*steps into the emasculizing chamber to remover gender for a moment. steps out*

To a certain extent I envy women for being able to wear makeup without there being some sort of stigma attached to it. I've seen a great many women do a few simple tricks (big one that comes to mind is applying makeup to remove simple blemishes or dark circles under the eyes) to improve their appearance. Guys really can't do that. Sure we can shave and wash our face and exfoliate with... er... like a bar of Lava soap or... uh... a belt sander... or um something similarly manly... but we can't cover up lack of sleep or a zit or things like that. Anyway, there you go for what it's worth.

*steps back into the chamber and restores gender. Steps out*

WHoo-AA!! *beats chest, scratches like a major league baseball player and heads off to chug a beer and pee standing up somewhere*

Dragonrider
2009-09-14, 11:40 PM
Wow. That is news to me. I always figured it'd be more comfortable, since it is the "natural"/"normal" way humans were intended to be.

Maybe for women with less there, no bra or a shelf bra (compressing elasticky thing built into a shirt, usually a tank top) works okay. But for me, anyway, not only do I need a bra, but I need one with an underwire. Just one of those things.

Pika...
2009-09-14, 11:42 PM
>.>
<.<

*steps into the emasculizing chamber to remover gender for a moment. steps out*

To a certain extent I envy women for being able to wear makeup without there being some sort of stigma attached to it. I've seen a great many women do a few simple tricks (big one that comes to mind is applying makeup to remove simple blemishes or dark circles under the eyes) to improve their appearance. Guys really can't do that. Sure we can shave and wash our face and exfoliate with... er... like a bar of Lava soap or... uh... a belt sander... or um something similarly manly... but we can't cover up lack of sleep or a zit or things like that. Anyway, there you go for what it's worth.

*steps back into the chamber and restores gender. Steps out*

WHoo-AA!! *beats chest, scratches like a major league baseball player and heads off to chug a beer and pee standing up somewhere*

You do know that those movies stars you see on every "100 Most Attractive Men" lists on magazines regularly wear more makeup than the average woman? I remember Jay Leno talking about this very thing, and how one of the top (5?) men from that years list (forgot from where) was a guest, and that he saw a huge flake of makeup just break off from his face and land on his desk. He said something like "I was wondering if the cameras caught that".

Anuan
2009-09-14, 11:43 PM

How on earth does this happen outside of a very cheesy porn flick?

Pika...
2009-09-14, 11:45 PM
Maybe for women with less there, no bra or a shelf bra (compressing elasticky thing built into a shirt, usually a tank top) works okay. But for me, anyway, not only do I need a bra, but I need one with an underwire. Just one of those things.

I see. And here I thought women who get boob jobs were only getting back problems due to their vanity.

Pika...
2009-09-14, 11:47 PM

The internets?

RabbitHoleLost
2009-09-14, 11:47 PM
I see. And here I thought women who get boob jobs were only getting back problems due to their vanity.

I have no idea why, but once again you make a statement that offends some part of me..

Pika...
2009-09-14, 11:54 PM
I have no idea why, but once again you make a statement that offends some part of me..

Well, have you seen some of those things? For some women it's like they go in there, lay on the table, and say "Doc, fill them up until they are just short of bursting".

And yes, I find boob jobs to usually be a sign of vanity or low self-esteem. Ones for medical reasons, like those unfortunate women who need to get them removed due to things like cancer, I completely understand. But have you ever seen a plastic surgery and/or boob job operation on one of the medical channels? I mean, it simply shocks me that anyone would do something like that to their bodies just low self-esteem, or vanity.

Ichneumon
2009-09-15, 12:30 AM
I'm not trying to insult anyone, but just wondering, given that most girls I know like to buy clothes together with others. How easily do you tell your own sizes to other people?

Ravens_cry
2009-09-15, 12:31 AM
While not transsexual, more transvestite, I too wonder what it would like to be pregnant. Nine months being carrying another life, that is part you, and part someone else, and someone new entirely. Oh,I know it wouldn't exactly be a barrel of laughs, but I do wonder. . .
Make up, it can be hot, it can be not. Sometimes an unnatural look can be exotic, look at geisha and the eighties. I have tried putting it on myself but so far I just look like a clumsy clown. That makes me sad.:smallfrown: I think I looked OK when I had help though. Unfortunatly, the mascara I was using made my eyes very, very red. To quote Golem, it buuurns!
I love skirts, even as a male. They are just so. . .free.

cycoris
2009-09-15, 12:47 AM
I'm not trying to insult anyone, but just wondering, given that most girls I know like to buy clothes together with others. How easily do you tell your own sizes to other people?

Hmm, well I never like to go shopping with anyone else, but I'll tell my size/weight/height to anyone who asks.

Height: 5'7 1/2"
Weight: 110 pounds (50 kilos)
Size: 3/3T in pants, 2/small in shirts
chest-waist-hip measurements: 32:25:35

Nope, I'm not shy at all. I don't see the point, because anyone who sees me is going to at least have an idea of my size &c.

SMEE
2009-09-15, 12:57 AM
On bras... finding proper ones that fit well and are comfortable is really hard.

Especially around here, were they seem to only sell them by cup measure, without band measure as well...
And while I enjoy the appeal of going free, it ain't going to happen anymore when they reach B cups.
It works for someone who is flat chested like me because they are light and not very... movable.

Coidzor
2009-09-15, 01:15 AM

Well, I'm grasping here, but two bras and she sleeps in them and she's well endowed... Well, accidents happen, and an underwire can get bent, especially by sleeping in it. Or at least my ex always went on about how she wasn't supposed to sleep in her bras for fear of breaking 'em. Or possibly she broke one of her favorites once by tossing too much while sleeping in it.

Anuan
2009-09-15, 01:29 AM
Yes, but..scissors, or moving furniture? Come on, dude. You can even imagine the cheesey, cheesey dialogue that goes along with it.

Coidzor
2009-09-15, 01:33 AM
No, not really. I've had shirts ruined while lifting up heavy furniture with sharp edges. The scissors thing was really more thoughtless than anything and I don't think you really want to continue this train of thought in this thread.

Agamid
2009-09-15, 01:53 AM
Bras can be difficult to fit, especially when your are an odd size. my bras are all 10Bs but i've been told by more than one person that i'm probably more like an 8C, but it's very hard to find nice 8s, let along 8Cs.
I used to sleep in my bra, but then i got my back pierced and couldn't have anything slipping and sliding up or down my back - especially when i was a sleep as i almost don't feel pain when i'm asleep and could have done some nasty damage.
The most comfortable bra i've ever owned snapped the other day when i was getting ready to go out. it was padded and a push-up... have not replaced it with a similar one but it's not the same.
But i don't last more than 2 days without some kind of support, even just a tube bra or bikini top helps. I get serious aches.

Size? um.. i can tell whether or not something will fit me from just looking at it on the wrack, but couldn't even begin to guess what would fit my friends. Sizes don't mean anything to me really, i fit what fits regardless of what the tag says.
I usually go into a shop with other people but we split up as soon as we enter and only report back if we find something the other might like, need help deciding, or are ready to leave.

Thatguyoverther
2009-09-15, 02:57 AM

For what it's worth...I used to be staunchly anti-makeup. However, when I have self-esteem issues I find that it makes me feel better. Also it covers up acne. That's good. :smallbiggrin:

I usually wear clothes because they're comfortable, but I guess I can see your point. And I'll have to try that makeup thing, Thatguy want's to feel pretty.

That's unfortunate. I don't think I've ever spent more than $25 on a piece of clothing. Did you know for about 35 bucks you can afford to never have to wear the same shirt twice?

HellfireLover
2009-09-15, 02:57 AM
Bras are a nightmare to find - I think everyone has problems regardless of whether you're tiny (like a friend of mine, whose choice of words to describe her breasts was 'empty socks') or whether you've got serious Rack O' Doom going on. I usually go with mail order now because it is so impossible to find bras in my size which are not made from industrial scaffolding. I have a really wide back too, which doesn't help.

Clothes are also impossible, for much the same reason. I have to keep a stock of camis for wearing under tops because by the time I get to the right size to fit my shoulders and chest, they're too long and the necklines are cut too deep. My friends and family are all petite (under 5'2") which means I have to shop in a different section anyway, and then even if I do find something I like, nine times out of ten I need to go home and alter it in some way. :smallannoyed:

Trog
2009-09-15, 07:02 AM
You do know that those movies stars you see on every "100 Most Attractive Men" lists on magazines regularly wear more makeup than the average woman? I remember Jay Leno talking about this very thing, and how one of the top (5?) men from that years list (forgot from where) was a guest, and that he saw a huge flake of makeup just break off from his face and land on his desk. He said something like "I was wondering if the cameras caught that".
If they're in the top 100 they are likely famous and can get away with make up. Regular Joes typically can't. Also pretty much anyone that has ever appeared on the Tonight Show has worn makeup. You need to or all the lights make you look and shiny and stuff.

EDIT: Anyway it's not the actual make up I sort of envy it's the ability to correct flaws the make up conveys. It's like saying "Here guys you write a long letter with this pen. And you ladies write one as well here with this pen and this bottle of White-Out."

Dragonrider
2009-09-15, 08:12 AM
How easily do you tell your own sizes to other people?

I don't. :smalltongue:

Partly because I have a strict rule about not caring, and to not care I have to forget, or at least not let myself be reminded.

Which reminds me: One aspect of female culture I hate: FAT TALK. It's very unusual to get in a group of women and not have someone start on their weight, especially if you're at a meal - even "I'm so full" or some comment on something someone is eating always turns into "I wish I could eat whatever I want but I can't". It's very, very hard to avoid. It's like it's something people do to fill a lag in conversation. I wish it were ILLEGAL to comment on other people's portion sizes or use "you've lost weight" as a compliment. :smallsigh::smallannoyed:

Also: WHY ARE SO MANY OF THE PEOPLE IN THE GIRL THREAD MEN?

I'm not complaining, exactly, because it's probably a good thing that guys learn about some of this stuff. But.

The Rose Dragon
2009-09-15, 08:15 AM
I wish it were ILLEGAL to comment on other people's portion sizes or use "you've lost weight" as a compliment. :smallsigh::smallannoyed:

I'm one of the few people that used "you've gained weight" as a compliment and meant it, I guess.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-15, 08:16 AM
I've found that some bras are all about illusions. My sports bra I wear to be comfortable, and I look all but flat chested but with a padded push-up...well, it makes an interesting contrast behind the screen, or so I've been told.

And it so easy to get hung up on yourself when you compare to other people. A lot of the time I don't bother.

Also, naturally thin people find comments about their weight "or lack of it" as insulting as fat people do. Can you blame me if I'd like to hit you if you come up to me and ask "Do you eat?"

Destro_Yersul
2009-09-15, 08:16 AM

I'm not complaining, exactly, because it's probably a good thing that guys learn about some of this stuff. But.

I suspect it's because they wish to learn more about your mystifying species. :smalltongue:

Trog
2009-09-15, 08:22 AM

I'd say it's reflective of the male to female ratio of the boards in general. Plus, you know, guys as well as girls are free to post wherever they wish on the forums. :smallwink:

Dragonrider
2009-09-15, 08:26 AM
And it so easy to get hung up on yourself when you compare to other people. A lot of the time I don't bother.

Also, naturally thin people find comments about their weight "or lack of it" as insulting as fat people do. Can you blame me if I'd like to hit you if you come up to me and ask "Do you eat?"

Yeah, I know. Cycoris is my sister so I hear about that a lot. :smalltongue: Maybe I should revise my statement: I think it should be illegal to comment on other people's weight. No one walks up to me and says "Wow - you're so short!" and height isn't a physical feature you compliment unless you're talking to a kid, in which case he or she will probably roll his or her eyes and feel patronized. :smallamused:

Because, see, if we outlaw fat talk than we'll have to resort to something else - complimenting people on the job they got or the book they wrote. And if it has to be physical, perhaps it should be along the lines of, "You look so healthy!" because even though that has connotations of "thin" in our society, it shouldn't.

Edit: Trog: I know. But it still amuses me. :smallwink: When there was a Man Thread, I don't think I read more than one page, because I saw the title and thought, "Well, doesn't apply to me!" the same way I looked at the tattoo thread or the LGBT thread.

Trog
2009-09-15, 08:45 AM
Edit: Trog: I know. But it still amuses me. :smallwink: When there was a Man Thread, I don't think I read more than one page, because I saw the title and thought, "Well, doesn't apply to me!" the same way I looked at the tattoo thread or the LGBT thread.
Look at it this way. It's like "ladies night" at bars. They give a special to women so more women come in because women attract guys. If they had "guys night" no one would be there. Now I realize a bar and the forums are different... er... well... in MOST places *hides his Trog's Tavern uniform >.>* but the same principle applies.

Also as a side note I've noticed that in IM chat rooms full of forumites the same rule applies most of the time. If the chat room is full of guys it is (as a general rule) less lively than one full of guys and even one girl. Get a flirty girl in there and you can't even begin to keep up with the chat. It's like on the extras disk for Indiana Jones when an actor was talking about having tarantulas all over him and the director was upset that they weren't moving at all and looked fake. The spider wrangler said "Oh well that's because you have all males on there." He put a female on and all the male spiders started running around. Same thing. :smalltongue:

Ichneumon
2009-09-15, 08:54 AM

I get that a lot, really a lot. It's even more annoying when people, when dining, say stuff like "do take some more, you need the fat".:smallannoyed:

I read all kinds of threads and sometimes post in them, without them applying to me (like the LGBT-thread) and I know many people do the same. Many thread titles don't apply to people, but they go there to discuss said thing in the title. Just look at how the vegetarian/vegan thread of a month ago, many people posted in it and read it, without being part of the demography mentioned in the thread title, I guess that is normal.

The Rose Dragon
2009-09-15, 08:57 AM
true stuff

It's probably because of the evolution of the male of the species. The male is almost always more majestic in appearance and readily approachable. The female, however, is more mysterious and alluring. Therefore, females do not wish to learn about the males as much as males wish to learn about females - because they don't have to.

Dragonrider
2009-09-15, 09:02 AM
It's probably because of the evolution of the male of the species. The male is almost always more majestic in appearance and readily approachable. The female, however, is more mysterious and alluring. Therefore, females do not wish to learn about the males as much as males wish to learn about females - because they don't have to.

I'm not sure I buy that...but yeah, I get Trog's point.

For what it's worth, most of my friends are actually male.

Trobby
2009-09-15, 09:22 AM

Maybe we're just really nice guys who are concerned about the well-being of their girlfriends? o.o

Um...*cough* So yeah...about bra sizes...my girlfriend has a bit of trouble finding bras that are big enough to fit her at an affordable price. Do any of you know a good outlet for women with "gusto"? Preferably an actual store, and not an online vendor. She prefers to try a pair out before buying.

And going back to periods (Just for a second, I swear!), sometimes during a month (I find it's usually when she's under a lot of stress), it comes out for her in "spots". Am I right in thinking this is probably caused by stress, or could it be something dietary? And is there anything I can do to help her during "that time" if I'm not actually there? (This is a long-distance relationship...T_T So I can't actually be there for her.)

SMEE
2009-09-15, 09:36 AM
@Introbulus

Yes, stress can cause those spots to happen. Sadly, there's isn't much you can do by not being there, other than a few sweet words or a phone call.

Regarding bras, it depends on where she lives.
I know that if she were to live here in Brazil like me, she'd be very screwed in that regard.
Thank gods for the band extensors... stupid Brazilian bra size measurement system that doesn't take into account cups and band size. :smallmad:

Trobby
2009-09-15, 09:51 AM
@Introbulus
Regarding bras, it depends on where she lives.
I know that if she were to live here in Brazil like me, she'd be very screwed in that regard.
Thank gods for the band extensors... stupid Brazilian bra size measurement system that doesn't take into account cups and band size. :smallmad:

Ouch...:smallfrown: You have my deepest sympathy.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-15, 10:23 AM
Um...*cough* So yeah...about bra sizes...my girlfriend has a bit of trouble finding bras that are big enough to fit her at an affordable price. Do any of you know a good outlet for women with "gusto"? Preferably an actual store, and not an online vendor. She prefers to try a pair out before buying.

Actually, if you check at a place like Marshall's, they sometimes have unusual sizes (I've seen 32F and such there). However, for really odd sizes (I have one friend who wears a 30G), the internet is pretty much her only option. Said friend of mine has never, ever been able to find that size at a store. If you're just referring to big sizes (rather than less-common proportions), 40DD or whatever, she'd probably do fine in a store catering to larger women.

Dragonrider
2009-09-15, 10:23 AM
Maybe we're just really nice guys who are concerned about the well-being of their girlfriends? o.o

Sorry - didn't mean to be all aggressive. :smalltongue: We all could have predicted it, given what happened with the last girl threads. :smallamused:

Nameless
2009-09-15, 10:32 AM
Well, have you seen some of those things? For some women it's like they go in there, lay on the table, and say "Doc, fill them up until they are just short of bursting".

And yes, I find boob jobs to usually be a sign of vanity or low self-esteem. Ones for medical reasons, like those unfortunate women who need to get them removed due to things like cancer, I completely understand. But have you ever seen a plastic surgery and/or boob job operation on one of the medical channels? I mean, it simply shocks me that anyone would do something like that to their bodies just low self-esteem, or vanity.

I don’t understand why women who have work done on their breasts get such a hard time. It’s their bodies, they can do what ever the hell they wish with it. I actually can’t stand people who pass judgments like that on others, it’s childish. Everyone has the right to portray their own image and if it involves having larger breasts then I don’t think anyone has the right to judge them harshly for it. As long as they’re doing it out of their own will, I don't see why other people care so much.

Now, if you don't mind... *Pops back out in a puff of smoke*

Ichneumon
2009-09-15, 10:43 AM
I don’t understand why women who have work done on their breasts get such a hard time. It’s their bodies, they can do what ever the hell they wish with it. I actually can’t stand people who pass judgments like that on others, it’s childish. Everyone has the right to portray their own image and if it involves having larger breasts then I don’t think anyone has the right to judge them harshly for it. As long as they’re doing it out of their own will, I don't see why other people care so much.

Now, if you don't mind... *Pops back out in a puff of smoke*

I agree, although you (not Pika, but people in general) might view their motives as naive or superficial, it is their body and completely their choice to make.

Trobby
2009-09-15, 11:22 AM
Actually, if you check at a place like Marshall's, they sometimes have unusual sizes (I've seen 32F and such there). However, for really odd sizes (I have one friend who wears a 30G), the internet is pretty much her only option. Said friend of mine has never, ever been able to find that size at a store. If you're just referring to big sizes (rather than less-common proportions), 40DD or whatever, she'd probably do fine in a store catering to larger women.

...Triple D, actually. #<.<# She has a very hard time finding stores that cater to her needs.

Thank you for the help, though.

Sorry - didn't mean to be all aggressive. We all could have predicted it, given what happened with the last girl threads.

Oh, don't worry about that. ^^ You were perfectly fine. I'm just a rather meek boy. <.<;

thorgrim29
2009-09-15, 11:23 AM
I'm guessing a lot of us are also nice guys who are concerned about getting a girlfriend and want to get into your heads and observe you steve irwin style (minus the wrangling)

also, boob jobs.... From what I gathered (no girlfriend but a lot of girl friends) breast size is just about as sensitive to a lot of woman's self esteem as penis lenght is to guys, probably more so because, well, boobs are kinda easier to spot across the street. I'm guessing that if a relatively risk free and cheap procedure could make mister happy bigger, a lot of men would sign up. probably not as much as for boob jobs because, well, you don't exactly want people who are not sexy women without scalpels to play down there, but still I think the comparison stands. Now would those men be superficial and vain, probably on some level, to some people, but if it makes them feel better about themselves and carries no great risk, why not?

Nameless
2009-09-15, 11:31 AM
I'm guessing a lot of us are also nice guys who are concerned about getting a girlfriend and want to get into your heads and observe you steve irwin style (minus the wrangling)

also, boob jobs.... From what I gathered (no girlfriend but a lot of girl friends) breast size is just about as sensitive to a lot of woman's self esteem as penis lenght is to guys, probably more so because, well, boobs are kinda easier to spot across the street. I'm guessing that if a relatively risk free and cheap procedure could make mister happy bigger, a lot of men would sign up. probably not as much as for boob jobs because, well, you don't exactly want people who are not sexy women without scalpels to play down there, but still I think the comparison stands. Now would those men be superficial and vain, probably on some level, to some people, but if it makes them feel better about themselves and carries no great risk, why not?

Actually, you would be surprised how many men do actually get work done on their penis.

And I wasn't just referring about work done on the breast. I'm talking about cosmetic surgery in general. People seem to look down on it, especially when it comes to women. Why is cosmetic surgery any different from a piercing, or a tattoo or even a gender change? It's all a form of body modification, so what makes a boob or nose job any different?

SMEE
2009-09-15, 11:44 AM
Being on the gender change group, I can say that I'll have lots of cosmetic surgery done to my body so I can feel more comfortable with it.

From the GRS, to FFS and likely some minor breast augmentation surgery, as hormones might not give me breasts compatible with my body build.
And I am not ashamed of doing any of these procedures. :smallsmile:

Dragonrider
2009-09-15, 11:55 AM
also, boob jobs.... From what I gathered (no girlfriend but a lot of girl friends) breast size is just about as sensitive to a lot of woman's self esteem as penis lenght is to guys, probably more so because, well, boobs are kinda easier to spot across the street.

It's more of a "if you don't have it, you wish you did, and if you do, you wish you didn't" kind of thing. At least, in my experience. :smalltongue:

Jacklu
2009-09-15, 12:16 PM

Allow me to answer by quoting you:

I haz teh boobies.
:smalltongue:

But seriously, I dun think it is strange for guys to follow a thread like this. I mean, for one, it has girls in it. Such things are infinitely fascinating to the male mind. Besides, at least the guys are actively participating in the conversation, rather than lurking in those internet bushes over there. *points at lurkers* *waits for them to scatter* :smalltongue:

Nameless
2009-09-15, 12:19 PM
But seriously, I dun think it is strange for guys to follow a thread like this. I mean, for one, it has girls in it.

Hey! I find that mildly offensive!

:smalltongue:

Castaras
2009-09-15, 12:36 PM
Re: Bras

I haven't bought myself new ones in ages.... stayed with these B/A cups for a long time, and weight wise haven't changed much.

Re: Weight

I am one of those "lucky" individuals who can eat and eat and eat and not put on weight.

The problem with that is when stress/worry/depression makes me not so hungry... I very quickly get underweight. :smallsigh: Could really do with a little more body mass, so I can get to a (british) size 10 again... that was a nice, comfortable size. 8 (and 6s :smalleek:) just aren't so nice...

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-15, 12:45 PM
SO happy with the results of my diet. I WILL fit into a size 12 again!
I get my ginormous bras at Nordstrom.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 01:00 PM

I am one of those "lucky" individuals who can eat and eat and eat and not put on weight.

...*cue mass jealousy*...

I wish I had your metabolism.

Jacklu
2009-09-15, 01:03 PM
You know, this brings up another thing I dun understand. Women's clothing sizes? Is there a logic behind which number mean what size?

cycoris
2009-09-15, 01:06 PM
I get that a lot, really a lot. It's even more annoying when people, when dining, say stuff like "do take some more, you need the fat".:smallannoyed:

Oh, yes yes yes! It's one thing for me to want to gain weight (and people always give me 'you're crazy' looks when I say that), but when other people comment on it it makes me want to punch them. Hard.

The problem with that is when stress/worry/depression makes me not so hungry... I very quickly get underweight. :smallsigh: Could really do with a little more body mass, so I can get to a (british) size 10 again... that was a nice, comfortable size. 8 (and 6s :smalleek:) just aren't so nice...

Yeah, I'm trying to get to where I can fit into my junior size 3 pants better. Unfortunately, commercial clothing designers think that I should have smaller hips, bigger thighs, and shorter legs.

When I get depressed, I can go down to 95 pounds, which is Not Healthy to say the least. :smalleek:

THAC0
2009-09-15, 01:06 PM
You know, this brings up another thing I dun understand. Women's clothing sizes? Is there a logic behind which number mean what size?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Definitely not.

Trobby
2009-09-15, 01:09 PM
But seriously, I dun think it is strange for guys to follow a thread like this. I mean, for one, it has girls in it. Such things are infinitely fascinating to the male mind. Besides, at least the guys are actively participating in the conversation, rather than lurking in those internet bushes over there. *points at lurkers* *waits for them to scatter* :smalltongue:

:p Hey, maybe if you weren't all so pretty, we wouldn't be so interested in you. Ever think of that? :smalltongue:

Though I wonder...would a "Guy Thread" garner similar attention from girls? Or are we just not that mysterious?

cycoris
2009-09-15, 01:12 PM
:p Hey, maybe if you weren't all so pretty, we wouldn't be so interested in you. Ever think of that? :smalltongue:

Though I wonder...would a "Guy Thread" garner similar attention from girls? Or are we just not that mysterious?

Why do I have the feeling that the 'Guy Thread' would quickly degenerate into you guys saying things that would require large amounts of brain bleach?

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 01:13 PM
Oh, yes yes yes! It's one thing for me to want to gain weight (and people always give me 'you're crazy' looks when I say that), but when other people comment on it it makes me want to punch them. Hard.

Yeah, I'm trying to get to where I can fit into my junior size 3 pants better. Unfortunately, commercial clothing designers think that I should have smaller hips, bigger thighs, and shorter legs.

When I get depressed, I can go down to 95 pounds, which is Not Healthy to say the least. :smalleek:

*snuggles worriedly*

And we tried to have a man thread for a while. I remember much drinking, burping, and watching of sports. None of which the guys here actually pull off well. =P

cycoris
2009-09-15, 01:18 PM

*snuggles worriedly*

Aaaw, don't worry. At last check I was 111 pounds, and I'm trying to get up to 120. Was 95 for a while last year, but I got over myself.

In other news, I just realised that I was 100 pounds at the end of fifth grade, and here we are, 5 years later, and I've only gained 10 pounds. I never had a growth spurt. :smallconfused:

Ichneumon
2009-09-15, 01:22 PM

Same here. The thing that I find most annoying is when "normal" people are going to say things like "I wish I had your metabolism". I also have the same problem with buying jeans. Either my legs are two long or my hips are to small.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 01:22 PM
Aaaw, don't worry.

This is like telling the sun not to rise. Or me not to snuggle. It will happen anyway. =P

At last check I was 111 pounds, and I'm trying to get up to 120. Was 95 for a while last year, but I got over myself.

In other news, I just realised that I was 100 pounds at the end of fifth grade, and here we are, 5 years later, and I've only gained 10 pounds. I never had a growth spurt. :smallconfused:

Aww. *hugs*

Well, as long as you're healthy, I'm glad. Us playgrounders have to take care of ourselves. And each other, if we can. =)

Dragonrider
2009-09-15, 01:25 PM
Off-the-rack clothes actually fit very few people. Quincunx has at various times had quite a few words to say on the subject.

But...the average woman tries on 40 pairs of jeans before she finds one she really likes. That's why I keep sewing up holes in the four pairs I have - because there's nothing to replace them, and styles change so quickly.

Side note: I love low-waist flare jeans. I am severely ticked off that higher-waisted skinny jeans are coming back into style. I am NOT a fan of skinny jeans.

Ichneumon
2009-09-15, 01:26 PM
I have been around 105 pounds for almost 5 years now.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 01:30 PM
Same here. The thing that I find most annoying is when "normal" people are going to say things like "I wish I had your metabolism". I also have the same problem with buying jeans. Either my legs are two long or my hips are to small.

Mmm. Well, seeing as I just finished posting those words earlier...

...people who have struggled with being overweight ARE going to wish they had your metabolism. It's just how we work. =P

And I have problems finding jeans that fit comfortably, too. My solution was to buy oversized, baggy jeans and a good belt. It may not look the best, but at least it's comfortable. Why is it that fashion or just plain looking good seems to involve so much effort, discomfort, or pain?

Nameless
Re: Bras

I haven't bought myself new ones in ages.... stayed with these B/A cups for a long time, and weight wise haven't changed much.

Really? I'm quite comfortable with a size 8 actually.
Though... Maybe for women it's different. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, as long as your body is healthy, that's the main thing.

UncleWolf

Don't feel so bad about the growth spurt. My sister is actually shrinking now. She used to be 5'4" and two years after is now only 5ft.

The Rose Dragon
2009-09-15, 01:32 PM
Don't feel so bad about the growth spurt. My sister is actually shrinking now. She used to be 5'4" and two years after is now only 5ft.

What.

How does that happen? Does she have a skeletal system disorder?

UncleWolf
2009-09-15, 01:35 PM
What.

How does that happen? Does she have a skeletal system disorder?

We've checked. It just seems that after her spurt she was just settling. It doesn't help that she hardly eats though. :smallannoyed:

I'm nearly a foot taller, her age, and twice her weight. She is 100-110 max.

Ichneumon
2009-09-15, 01:36 PM
Mmm. Well, seeing as I just finished posting those words earlier...

...people who have struggled with being overweight ARE going to wish they had your metabolism. It's just how we work. =P

And I have problems finding jeans that fit comfortably, too. My solution was to buy oversized, baggy jeans and a good belt. It may not look the best, but at least it's comfortable. Why is it that fashion or just plain looking good seems to involve so much effort, discomfort, or pain?

I know, I agree. It's all the fault of the industries that try to label and fit people into size categories.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, as long as your body is healthy, that's the main thing.

Agreed for 100%.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 01:36 PM
My sisters are both around 95-100 lbs. They're also 5' and 4'10". >.>

I have no idea what "normal" weight is for any height. >.<

Dragonrider
2009-09-15, 01:38 PM
My sisters are both around 95-100 lbs. They're also 5' and 4'10". >.>

I have no idea what "normal" weight is for any height. >.<

That's because it is 100% dependent on your build and genetic predisposition to a specific weight. :smalltongue:

SMEE
2009-09-15, 01:38 PM

Nope. It's all about magical numbers.
The only one they try to make have any sense is bra sizes. Outside Brazil of course.

Crazy bra table in cm
{table]Size|Band|Cup
38 / PT|56 to 61|71 to 76
40 / P|62 to 67|77 to 82
42 / P|68 to 72|83 to 87
44 / M|73 to 77|88 to 92
46 / M|78 to 82|93 to 97
48 / G|83 to 87|98 to 102
50 / EG|88 to 92|103 to 107
52|93 to 97|108 to 112
54|98 to 102|113 to 117[/table]

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 01:42 PM
That's because it is 100% dependent on your build and genetic predisposition to a specific weight. :smalltongue:

Oh. That...

...makes me wonder very much how to tell if I'm a healthy weight or not. I mean, I always feel overweight...or rather (and I know this is idiotic of me), I always feel like I'm fat. >.<

...so, what am I supposed to do about that? I mean, at least if I had good idea of healthy number range, I could go by that...

UncleWolf
2009-09-15, 01:43 PM

Well, this is really odd since about half of our genetic make-up involves Vikings, Gauls, and over a half dozen of the larger peoples. No one else in out family, extended or otherwise is that short.

Ichneumon
2009-09-15, 01:45 PM
Oh. That...

...makes me wonder very much how to tell if I'm a healthy weight or not. I mean, I always feel overweight...or rather (and I know this is idiotic of me), I always feel like I'm fat. >.<

...so, what am I supposed to do about that? I mean, at least if I had good idea of healthy number range, I could go by that...

How "big" are you? Would other people perceive you as slender, skinny, powerful build or chubby? Don't really know how to help you, but that would be how I'd try to solve this problem.

Well, this is really odd since about half of our genetic make-up involves Vikings, Gauls, and over a half dozen of the larger peoples. No one else in out family, extended or otherwise is that short.

The ghouls from the more southern regions of france were quite small. I know, I am not helping.

Spiryt
2009-09-15, 01:50 PM
Oh. That...

"Healthy weight" seems like generally rubbish term.

You must tell by youself if you are decently muscled, if you don't have too much needless weight (fat, skin, stuuf in guts whatever :smalltongue:), what are your "athletic" capabilites, and how do you feel.

In other worlds, what is 'healthy weight' for one 180cm guy, may be not good for other 180 guy, who has different build, metabolism, and body in generall.

At least IMHO.

cycoris
2009-09-15, 01:51 PM
I also have the same problem with buying jeans. Either my legs are two long or my hips are to small.

Aaah, see, my hips are too BIG for most jeans that fit elsewhere.

And I don't feel bad about not having a growth spurt at all. 5'7" to 5'8" is plenty tall. In fact, I wish I were about 5'4". Just once in my life I'd like to feel dainty, feminine and petite.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 01:51 PM
How "big" are you? Would other people perceive you as slender, skinny, powerful build or chubby? Don't really know how to help you, but that would be how I'd try to solve this problem.

The ghouls from the more southern regions of france were quite small. I know, I am not helping.

I have no idea how others perceive me. I know how I perceive me. But I also know that that's influenced by general self-loathing and an intense fear of ending up like most members of my dad's side of the family: grossly overweight and with myriad health problems. >.<

Ghouls are not French. Gauls are French. Or...pre-French French. :smallwink:

UncleWolf
2009-09-15, 01:53 PM

Huh, I may have been thinking of another group, trust me, my heritage is quite complicated. After all, that is what happens when your family's name comes from a group of Mercenaries who decided to take the same name.

HellfireLover
2009-09-15, 01:53 PM
From what I remember of fashion history class, certainly in the UK, the basic dress sizes were based on surveys conducted in the Fifties, and hadn't been updated at the time I was studying (late Nineties... yes yes, I'm old, I know.) There was also a trend to 'saving' cloth, which resulted in the nipping of seam ease. Hence, ready to wear tends to be ill fitting and misshaped, although of course that's always going to be true for a majority as there is a vast diversity of body size.

Cobra: I get that too. I blame it on the repeated indoctrination I got from a young age. There's no healthy weight per se. Your weight doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your health. Particularly that crock that they call the BMI.

cycoris
2009-09-15, 01:54 PM
I have no idea how others perceive me. I know how I perceive me. But I also know that that's influenced by general self-loathing and an intense fear of ending up like most members of my dad's side of the family: grossly overweight and with myriad health problems. >.<

Post pictures. Now. Many of them. So that the Girls ITP community can collectively tell Cobsie how cute he is. Right? RIGHT?

Ichneumon
2009-09-15, 01:54 PM

Funny, it's my legs mostly that are to long when everything else fits.

And I don't feel bad about not having a growth spurt at all. 5'7" to 5'8" is plenty tall. In fact, I wish I were about 5'4". Just once in my life I'd like to feel dainty, feminine and petite.

I´m about 5'8" too,:smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 02:00 PM
Cycoris, I suppose you could always try to find jeans that fit your hips and hem them down in length. Don't know if that would work, though. *shrugs*

Again, I buy oversized clothes. If they're too long, my boots will eventually rip off the excess. >.>

Post pictures. Now. Many of them. So that the Girls ITP community can collectively tell Cobsie how cute he is. Right? RIGHT?

See, I have posted pictures. But I'm not cute. And I'm definitely not photogenic. Do you know how hard it is to find a picture where I'm not blinking and don't look 4 years old or stoned into a coma? >.<

*coughs*...but then, we could have an entire thread on Cobra's insecurities. Sorry about hijacking yours, ladies. >.<

blackfox
2009-09-15, 02:02 PM

The problem with that is when stress/worry/depression makes me not so hungry... I very quickly get underweight.Whee, join the club... I'm 5'2-3"ish and ~120-130 pounds, depending on whether or not it's summer and whether or not I'm depressed. My body fat is actually really really low, something like 15%, and if my weight is more towards 120, my (already low) blood pressure will asplode... :smallannoyed: Doctor said there's not much I can do about it except eat more sodium, and not drink anything with caffeine or alcohol in it.

re: 'Normal' weight: Average weight for 5' and 4'10" is around 100-110, Cobra. Average weight for 5'2-3"ish is around 120. I has teh muscles. :smalltongue:

re: Bras: My size is pretty much exactly average and I have the hardest ****ing time finding bras that fit. Grah.

re: Makeup: On actual special events I wear mascara, eyeshadow, concealer or foundation or something. Otherwise I'm way too lazy. I'm not interested in attracting people who like the way I look when I'm all made up. I'm interested in attracting people who like me. :smallyuk: Also, lipstick annoys the crap out of me.

re: Sizes: How different are British sizes from American sizes? I'm 34-27-37 and wear size 4 (short, 29" inseam) pants and size M tops, because America is screwy like that.

Raewyn
2009-09-15, 02:02 PM
I'm 5'5" and somewhere in the area of 180 lbs. I got really fat and lazy over the summer. :smallsigh:

To top it off, I'm pretty under-endowed when it comes to cleavage. It's nigh-impossible to find a 38A bra anywhere, so I'm wearing a 38B instead, which I fill out decently, but probably not to the point where I actually qualify as a B cup. Bah. Also humbug.

Navi_halfbeast
2009-09-15, 02:04 PM
Ugh...I do worry about my weight...or at least my healthy weight. Due to wonderful gastro-intestinal disorders I can eat just about anything I want and not gain weight...although I can lose it easily enough if I don't eat at all (which happens sometimes depending on how my stomach feels).

Being 5'3 and 115 lbs bothers me. I love my hips, although it's hard to find something that fits and isn't too long. And then I also often feel that my breasts are too small (34-36B).

But, meh, I'm healthy considering the amount of pills I take daily, and I feel pretty as long as I wear my mini-skirts, knee-high striped socks, hooker heels/boots, and a bit of make-up (eye-liner, maybe some eye shadow, and lipstick occasionally).

HellfireLover
2009-09-15, 02:08 PM
re: Sizes: How different are British sizes from American sizes? I'm 34-27-37 and wear size 4 (short, 29" inseam) pants and size M tops, because America is screwy like that.

General rule is add 4. So you would probably be a size 8UK, or an 8-10 - I used to wear a 10 when I had a 28" waist (alas, no longer). Of course, we also have the S-M-L system, which is not standardized and is completely arbitrary. The whim of certain manufacturers tells us ladies that a size 8 is a large now. Uh, no. and of course there's also sizes 1,2 & 3 in knitwear. I can't remember what kind of crazy system that adheres to. So Yeah.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 02:10 PM
I have a question. Why are there sizes 0 and 00? How does that even work? >.>

SMEE
2009-09-15, 02:10 PM
Being 6'1'' and at 130 lbs makes clothes shopping interesting for me. Everything is short...

But now my hips are getting wider. My tightest pants no longer fit! :smallannoyed:
I loved those pants... :smallsigh:

Ichneumon
2009-09-15, 02:14 PM
But now my hips are getting wider. My tightest pants no longer fit! :smallannoyed:
I loved those pants... :smallsigh:

I hope I'm not offending you, but I am just wondering. Please, don't feel offended, just curious. Do your actual hips change shape because of hormones or something (I don't know if that's possible) or are you only gaining more fat around those areas?:smallconfused:

cycoris
2009-09-15, 02:16 PM
Hmm, just to see, I re-measured myself.

So, June:

32-25-35

September:

33-24-35

How did this happen?!

Bras:

I have the most horrific time finding bras, because apparently it's impossible to find a 30BB anywhere in the US. So I buy 34B (!) and take 4 inches out of the band. It is a ginormous pain.

Also, every single bra I buy tends to be too roomy above and too small below, meaning I have no cleavage at all for my trouble. Curses on the clothing industry!

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 02:17 PM

That doesn't sound like a bad height at all. From what I remember from your pictures, you look plenty feminine and dainty. *huggles*

SMEE
Both, actually.

The hips shifts to a new angle and gets a bit wider. And then fat accumulates there.

Dragonrider
I have a question. Why are there sizes 0 and 00? How does that even work? >.>

women's clothes for ladies the size of 11-year-olds. :smalltongue:

No offense to anyone who wears those sizes, really.

Edit: I'm 5'2" and at my lowest adult weight was unhealthily thin at 120 pounds. Size 4. I remember when I had my wisdom teeth out they were perplexed at how low my heart rate was and the nurse told me I must be "really relaxed", but in actuality that had nothing to do with it. :smallsigh:

Now I have no idea what I weigh, vaguely aware that I'm somewhere in the 8-10-ish size range, and I liked how I LOOKED when I was skinny but my body hated at and it wasn't natural for me. So, Cobra...you may feel fat...but that may just be where you are. In that case, there's nothing you can "do" about it. Most people who try to lose weight off their natural set point end up gaining it all back plus extra, so they stair-step up to a higher weight than before. Not recommended.

Ichneumon
2009-09-15, 02:18 PM
That's quite cool actually.

Thatguyoverther
2009-09-15, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post

Allow me to answer by quoting you:

Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
I haz teh boobies.

I'm not going to lie. That's why I'm here.

That and my conservative Midwestern sex education class consisted of "If you have sex, you'll get an STD and die. Even if you use protection." followed by twelve hours of pictures of STDs. What's more horrifying is they always seemed to serve hot dogs with sauerkraut for lunch afterward.

Jacklu
2009-09-15, 02:41 PM
Thanks for confirming my assumptions about the number scheme behind women's clothes.

Ichneumon
2009-09-15, 02:50 PM
Thanks for confirming my assumptions about the number scheme behind women's clothes.

So... how does the number scheme work behind men's clothing?

UncleWolf
2009-09-15, 02:52 PM

Inches I believe.

Nameless
2009-09-15, 02:55 PM
Mens clothes are made out of tougher and less soft material for some reason. :smallannoyed:

Ichneumon
2009-09-15, 03:01 PM
Inches I believe.

Really? Is it that simple?:smallsigh:

UncleWolf
2009-09-15, 03:04 PM
Really? Is it that simple?:smallsigh:

I believe so. I don't know why women's sizes are measured differently though.

Dragonrider
2009-09-15, 03:06 PM
I believe so. I don't know why women's sizes are measured differently though.

Because women wouldn't buy clothes if it meant openly acknowledging their measurements. :smallwink:

Also, it's more complicated with women, because of waist and hip differences.

Ichneumon
2009-09-15, 03:09 PM
Because women wouldn't buy clothes if it meant openly acknowledging their measurements. :smallwink:

Also, it's more complicated with women, because of waist and hip differences.

Also, don't underestimate our irrational tendency to prefer things needlessly complicated.:smallamused:

Trobby
2009-09-15, 03:59 PM

Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, and Extra Extra Large. For shirts and underwear. And for pants, two numbers: Waist size and leg length.

It's actually embarassingly simple. #<.<# Unless, of course, you ask us to wear a suit. Then you have to add the inseam and the sleeve length and probably a couple other things. There really isn't much to "Measure" for a guy.

And incidentally, there IS a way to tell if you're the proper weight for your height. It's called BMI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index), and while it admittably isn't perfect, it's better than no gauge at all.

But seriously, as long as you don't eat fast food every day and do a bit of exercise every week or so, you're doing fine. Trust me.

Besides, I can already tell that you are all beautiful, just by talking to you. ^^ Nobody so nice could be anything else. You've got nothing to worry about at all. :smallwink:

Dragonrider
2009-09-15, 04:06 PM
And incidentally, there IS a way to tell if you're the proper weight for your height. It's called BMI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index), and while it admittably isn't perfect, it's better than no gauge at all.

Well...I wouldn't see that...I don't think our need to formulise that sort of thing is necessarily a positive. :smallsigh: This (http://www.flickr.com/photos/77367764@N00/sets/72157602199008819/) puts an interesting spin on it...two people with the same BMI can look totally different, and two people with BMIs in completely different ranges can be equally healthy or unhealthy.

Yes, it is a measurement; no, I'm not sure it's an especially useful one.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-09-15, 04:08 PM
Re: periods: I have never had period pain, and the periods are very light and irregular. This is pleasing, but naturally very worrying also.

Re: makeup: I have worn it four times in my life. I'm more of a chapstick wearer myself. Makeup actually worries me deeply, especially eye makeup. Why would anyone poke brushes and pencils so close to their sensitive jelly filled eyeballs?! Blush annoys me, as does lipstick.

Re: bras: I have synergy of the breasts, so buying any bras is annoying, uncomfortable and they never fit very well. They're too small and too big at the same time. Also very expensive. Also very embarrassing, so getting measured is a no - no.
Luckily (or worryingly) my last blood tests have come back, but they took three weeks so i'm worried. I should be able to get something done maybe.

Re: clothing: I have an awkwardly shaped body. Regular clothing has a leg length of 29", but I have 27" legs so I either have to get Small (S) or petite. However, most clothing in shops is R. This means I have take two or so inches off the bottom of my clothes, and I'm not good at sewing or hemming.
My hips are clearly a 14 at the moment because my size 16 jeans that setted around the hips fall off me; but my waist is a 16. My top's an 18/20 because of the boob problem.
And I'm short, so my tops are also very big on me arm and lengthwise.

Ah, but speaking of that, I mostly buy on my mum's catalogue and they're good for clothing. I just got a fair bit yesterday actually for university. A posh suit and long jacket - it's practically a long coat and I can do the swoopy swirly thing with it! - and some other things too.
And they all fit wonderfully. And I look elegant and smart in them! I haven't even been exerting myself to lose weight, just doing what I normally do.

Re: weight: If it's comfortable and healthy for you, then screw society. I dont know my height or weight, but I'm mostly happy with my image aside from my little tummy bulge which I'm determined to lose simply because I want to wear some nice jeans without a belt.

Nameless
2009-09-15, 04:08 PM
I don't get that bmi chart thing. try searching "bmi chart for men" in google and they're all useless.

Spiryt
2009-09-15, 04:10 PM
BMI is simple weight : height ratio, and it's really too simple and unrelated to anything.

Percentage of body fat is much more useful, it actually at least tells you something.

Although calculating it correctly takes some effort.

HellfireLover
2009-09-15, 04:11 PM
Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, and Extra Extra Large. For shirts and underwear. And for pants, two numbers: Waist size and leg length.

It's actually embarassingly simple. #<.<# Unless, of course, you ask us to wear a suit. Then you have to add the inseam and the sleeve length and probably a couple other things. There really isn't much to "Measure" for a guy.

I can tell you've never had to draft a basic body block or trouser block from scratch, then. :smallbiggrin:

BMI's pretty hopeless as an indicator for individuals, though. Waist-to-hip ratio is a much more accurate indicator of predisposition to certain health issues than BMI.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-15, 04:15 PM
I hate. Hate. Hate. Buying clothes. And they never fit. I have a couple of shirts and a couple of pants that are good but.... Grah.

Stupid stores which think all men are tall and slim:smallfurious:

Re: bras: I have synergy of the breasts, so buying any bras is annoying, uncomfortable and they never fit very well. They're too small and too big at the same time. Also very expensive. Also very embarrassing, so getting measured is a no - no.
Luckily (or worryingly) my last blood tests have come back, but they took three weeks so i'm worried. I should be able to get something done maybe.

Since when do bra sizes have anything to do with blood tests?:smallconfused:

Nameless
2009-09-15, 04:19 PM
I hate. Hate. Hate. Buying clothes. And they never fit. I have a couple of shirts and a couple of pants that are good but.... Grah.

What? I can hardly ever find a pair of trousers that are smaller the size 30 (UK), it's so annoying. :smallannoyed:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-09-15, 04:23 PM
Since when do bra sizes have anything to do with blood tests?:smallconfused:

Breast synergy: the boobs are of a different size. Mine are . . . very different, so a hormone problem is suspected. So blood was taken to see whether or not I have a hormone imbalance.
Depending on the results I'll get pills or surgery or something to reduce the size of one of them. Hopefully.

Trobby
2009-09-15, 04:27 PM
Well...I wouldn't see that...I don't think our need to formulise that sort of thing is necessarily a positive. :smallsigh: This (http://www.flickr.com/photos/77367764@N00/sets/72157602199008819/) puts an interesting spin on it...two people with the same BMI can look totally different, and two people with BMIs in completely different ranges can be equally healthy or unhealthy.

Yes, it is a measurement; no, I'm not sure it's an especially useful one.

There really isn't any perfect formula for measuring health by weight, because it really doesn't make sense to do so. Body Fat percentage is a more accurate measure of a "good" body, but difficult to take.

But ultimately, the more important thing is feeling comfortable with your body, above feeling comfortable with the numbers. You're right, it really isn't necessary to assign a number to this sort of thing (though it can help to set a goal, if you're aiming for one), and I'm sorry if it sounded like I was trying to force a system on you.

Little Bo Peep
2009-09-15, 04:28 PM
The thing with weight loss is, if you're loosing it and toning up at the same time you tend to build up muscle.

And muscle weighs more than fat. So the scales don't appear to change much. BMI doesn't take into account muscle either.

I don't tend to bother weighing myself anymore. I can run to catch a bus when I'm late without killing myself and that's good enough for me. :smallbiggrin:

Destro_Yersul
2009-09-15, 04:28 PM

Stupid stores which think all men are tall and slim:smallfurious:

Apparently I fall into the 'tall and slim' category, because I've never had that problem. It's easy for me to just walk into a store, buy something that fits, and leave. Any clothes buying expeditions of mine are rare and take maybe 5-10 minutes once I reach the store, unless I am looking for something specific (ie: trenchcoat) and have to look around to find one.

blackfox
2009-09-15, 04:41 PM
Haha, I like how people are pointing out that muscle weighs more than fat... My body fat percentage (inaccurate, 'cause they were measuring with calipers and it was for a study and not a medical thing) is really low but my BMI is anywhere from 21.9-23.9, which is "normal," but more than you'd expect for someone who's stupidly skinny. It's mostly due to muscle I built up from rock climbing.

EDIT@v: My hair is about shoulder-length now, which is pretty long for me. I'm used to having my hair in a sort of pixie cut. It looks a lot nicer at this length but it's a huge pain in the butt to deal with. *has no right to complain, what with everyone with waist-length hair...* It's usually in a ponytail, because it's really hot otherwise, and BlackFox does not deal well with heat.

Jacklu
2009-09-15, 04:59 PM
Clothes buying is very difficult for Jacklu. *is short and fat* I generally buy clothes, then go home and hem a good four or five inches out of the legs. Or, because I is lazy and doesn't understand clothing and fashion, just roll the legs up. <.< >.>

Girl thread! Not clothing thread!

How about them... hairs... long, short, braided?

CurlyKitGirl
2009-09-15, 05:04 PM
Clothes buying is very difficult for Jacklu. *is short and fat* I generally buy clothes, then go home and hem a good four or five inches out of the legs. Or, because I is lazy and doesn't understand clothing and fashion, just roll the legs up. <.< >.>

Girl thread! Not clothing thread!

Ditto. Generally it's two to three inche, but sometimes it's more. Once it was five inches.

How about them... hairs... long, short, braided?[/QUOTE]

Long hair. I like long hair a lot.
Mine's long and King Charles - y ringlet - y, so it goes down to the bottom of my shoulder blades, but pulling the curls out it's maybe two and a half inches longer. I tend to leave it loose though because it's less hassle, though I do plait it or rarely pony tail it.

Perenelle
2009-09-15, 05:20 PM
My hair is kind of medium length. I's like it to be longer though, maybe 4 inches below my shoulder-ish? Not sure yet.
My hair naturally falls into spiral-like curls when I let it dry after getting it wet, but I tend to straighten it a lot since I'm too lazy to get up early in the morning and take a shower before school. So I take showers at night and end up having to straighten my hair in the morning to make it look at least semi-decent. :smallannoyed:

Raewyn
2009-09-15, 05:53 PM
My hair was long for years until I decided to get it cut short a year ago. I love it - my showers have gone from 30 minutes to about 10 and I don't have to buy a bajillion scrunchies a month. :smallsmile:

Here's the best picture I've managed to take of me and my short hair thus far (I dyed it brown again, so it's not quite so orangey).

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/sarcausticmaster/Photo37.jpg
Managed to cut out all of the ugly fat bits for that one. *sagenod*

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-15, 06:02 PM
My hair's longer than it's been since 2005. It's bizarre. In some ways I preferred my short hair, 10-minute showers for example. But enough people have told me my hair looks good this length that I'll be keeping it for a while. I think when it's long enough to be cut to chin-length and still be donated, I'll cut it.

Dragonrider
2009-09-15, 06:03 PM
My hair was long for years until I decided to get it cut short a year ago. I love it - my showers have gone from 30 minutes to about 10 and I don't have to buy a bajillion scrunchies a month. :smallsmile:

I did the same thing in August, going from this
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/My%20hair/100_8043.jpg

To this
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/My%20hair/100_8171.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/100_8276.jpg

And I thought I would miss having super-long hair, but I really don't. It's cool enough now that I don't feel the need to put it up all the time, and I love it at this length with this cut.

At some point I am going to dig up my How To Care For Curly Hair rant again (I think I've posted it twice). I need to start saving it so that I can copy and paste whenever it comes up. :smalltongue:

Jacklu
2009-09-15, 06:03 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/sarcausticmaster/Photo37.jpg

O_o =3 <3333 I have long been a fan of shorter hair. Very nice.

cycoris
2009-09-15, 06:09 PM
I got my hair cut to chin-length in August, and it's okay, but I miss my longer hair. (Previously, it was about to the top of my bra band.) I'm growing it out again, as long as it'll go and still be healthy.

I've found that long hair isn't nearly as much trouble as short hair is, at least for me. Though that may have something to do with the fact that my hair goes quite straight when it's short, and I don't know what to do with it. And I miss my waves/curls.

EDIT:

Hah, I found pictos!

Before:
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv279/soggyspaghetti/Photo105.jpg

After:
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv279/soggyspaghetti/IMG_0046-1.jpg

Nameless
2009-09-15, 06:09 PM
Ironically, I think that in a lot (not all, not most, but a lot) of cases, girls look better with short hair while guys look better with long hair, rather the social norm. By short I mean shoulder length and above.
And DeeRee, I luuurrrrvvve your hair. <3

Dragonrider
2009-09-15, 06:10 PM
I found my curly hair post! It's here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6725071&postcount=33).

Boycott the shampoo and hairbrushes, curlies of the Playground. :smallbiggrin:

:smalleek: How many of you did I just scare away?

Trobby
2009-09-15, 06:14 PM
Well, I have short hair myself because my scalp would get itchy otherwise, but I LOVE long hair. Especially soft hair...I just love to run it through my fingers and curl it around, feel it fall into my hand and brush it softly...

...Yeah, I kinda have a big thing for hair. #<.<#

Incidentally, looking at those pictures you posted, you girls really are pretty cute. :smallredface:

cycoris
2009-09-15, 06:20 PM
I found my curly hair post! It's here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6725071&postcount=33).

:smalleek: How many of you did I just scare away?

Didn't scare me!

...Oh, wait, that's because I already don't use shampoo and nasty stuffses. :smalltongue:

BTW, works great for wavy hair too. It makes it look curlier, healthier and less frizzy, especially if you have thick hair like I.

And one of the good things about getting my hair cut is that now I have 100% healthy hair on my head that has not been corrupted by shampoo or a hairbrush. (MUAHAHAHA, mine is an evil laugh!)

Jacklu
2009-09-15, 06:26 PM
>.< Too much cute...

X_x

But seriously, I looooooooooooves short hair. ^_^ Oddly, I do take great pleasure in braiding hair. It is very relaxing for me. But only other people's hair. Mah hair is... very short. Like, close to a buzz cut short. I can't have it longer at all or else mah head starts to get itchy and mah hair does bad things. =/

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-15, 06:31 PM
But plain conditioner won't get the oil out of my hair....

Trobby
2009-09-15, 06:32 PM
>.< Too much cute...

:smallconfused: I don't understand...what is this "Too much cute" you speak of? :smalltongue:

SMEE
2009-09-15, 06:36 PM
But plain conditioner won't get the oil out of my hair....

*pats*

I feel your pain.
But my hair is very frizzly and in need of some trimming soon. >.>
Blasted split ends.

Nameless
2009-09-15, 06:45 PM
*pats*

I feel your pain.
But my hair is very frizzly and in need of some trimming soon. >.>
Blasted split ends.

*Waves my long straight hair in your face* :3

Mando Knight
2009-09-15, 06:51 PM

If that's the factor that made your hair like that, then I agree. In 4 years you went from "Girl who looks like she came from a '90s kid's drama" to "Awesome levels of curly-pretty."

...:smallsigh: That probably sounds kinda creepy...

Trobby
2009-09-15, 06:59 PM
*Waves my long straight hair in your face* :3

#o.o# Handsome~...

I mean...<.<; *Coughs, belches, drinks a gallon of beer and-* Wait, I've mistaken myself for someone who's not secure in their sexuality. :smallredface: Silly me.

Dragonrider
2009-09-15, 07:00 PM
If that's the factor that made your hair like that, then I agree. In 4 years you went from "Girl who looks like she came from a '90s kid's drama" to "Awesome levels of curly-pretty."

...:smallsigh: That probably sounds kinda creepy...

But accurate. :smalltongue: It wasn't all the hair, of course - it also has to do with the fact that I went from awkwardly fourteen to a more confident eighteen.

On oil: It depends on your hair type. I'm not necessarily for eschewing shampoo entirely if you desperately need it, but it's best to do it as infrequently as possible and to choose a mild/low-lather shampoo. My hair was pretty greasy once upon a time. It went through a nasty transition phase and now is okay.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 07:06 PM
Wait...what's wrong with shampoo, now? *probably washes his hair WAY too much* >.>

And I'm jealous of you long-haired ladies. I mean, at least your hair grows. Mine gets to a certain length, and then...just...does nothing. >.<

...not that I want long hair, but the OPTION would be nice. Especially since so many girls nowadays seem to like long hair on guys. >.>

Oh, and...*insert obligatory swooning over pictures of our pretty playgrounders*...

...*and obligatory snuggles, flirting, and asking-outs*... :smallwink:

cycoris
2009-09-15, 07:13 PM
...not that I want long hair, but the OPTION would be nice. Especially since so many girls nowadays seem to like long hair on guys. >.>

Oh, and...*insert obligatory swooning over pictures of our pretty playgrounders*...

...*and obligatory snuggles, flirting, and asking-outs*... :smallwink:

Rissy likes long hair on guys.

...Is that incentive? :smalltongue:

Flirting, what's that?!:smallbiggrin:

But snuggles are nice. *snuggles*

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 07:16 PM
Rissy likes long hair on guys.

...Is that incentive? :smalltongue:

No. It just makes me depressed. And curse my hair for not wanting to grow longer.

Grow, damn you, so the cute girl will think I'm cute! *shakes fist at...own head >.>*

Flirting, what's that?!:smallbiggrin:

But snuggles are nice. *snuggles*

*snuggles* ^_^

*claims as snugglebuddy* =3

cycoris
2009-09-15, 07:22 PM
No. It just makes me depressed. And curse my hair for not wanting to grow longer.

Grow, damn you, so the cute girl will think I'm cute! *shakes fist at...own head >.>*

*snuggles* ^_^

*claims as snugglebuddy* =3

Aaaw, just PM me a picture, and we'll talk about whether I think you're cute or not. :smallamused:

*smothers in snuggles*

Coidzor
2009-09-15, 07:26 PM
But accurate. :smalltongue: It wasn't all the hair, of course - it also has to do with the fact that I went from awkwardly fourteen to a more confident eighteen.

Thats what they refer to as, er... Blossoming into womanhood, I believe.

Recaiden
2009-09-15, 07:27 PM
Aaaw, just PM me a picture, and we'll talk about whether I think you're cute or not. :smallamused:

*smothers in snuggles*

Oh! Use the photoshopped monster picture.:smalltongue:

And my hair just looks sillier the longer it gets, it's so curly.:smallsigh:

Nameless
2009-09-15, 07:29 PM

*smothers in snuggles*

He posted one on the YOU Thread. :3

zeratul
2009-09-15, 07:29 PM
Hey girls of the playground, I had a question for you. Would any of you have recommendations for hair gel, for someone with curly hair? This is mostly for the unlikely event that I can;t get around to washing it and I can just gel it back. A friend of mine uses pomade mostly but hes said it can have a tendency to be too strong, any recommendations?

Anuan
2009-09-15, 07:35 PM
On that note, what's the general consensus on hair-length for attractiveness? I've had long (for my area) hair since I was about thirteen. Once it got past chin length it was 'long' to most people. It's now...a lot longer than I usually think. About the end of my shoulderblades, actually ._.

*Is thinking about a haircut to about shoulderlength for the rear and tapering from about cheek or chin-length from the front.* Any playground girls have a suggestion on anything better? ...Or volunteering to cut it? :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 07:46 PM

*smothers in snuggles*

*points to You thread, snuggles*

How 'bout you discuss whether I'm cute and I discuss whether you're cute? :smallwink:

Oh! Use the photoshopped monster picture.:smalltongue:

And my hair just looks sillier the longer it gets, it's so curly.:smallsigh:

That thing would give her nightmares! It gives ME nightmares! D=

See, mine just gets thicker. In some places. So the rest of it looks funny until I cut it again.

I've posted, like, a million there. I need to reindex myself someday, since half were lost in the purge, and the other half to Ego no longer indexing. =P

cycoris
2009-09-15, 07:54 PM

Aaah, now I see it.

Definitely kyoot. Much the way I imagined Cobra looking.

...He looks like a tickle-hug-snuggle monster of the most fearsome sort. :smallsmile:

Hey girls of the playground, I had a question for you. Would any of you have recommendations for hair gel, for someone with curly hair? This is mostly for the unlikely event that I can;t get around to washing it and I can just gel it back. A friend of mine uses pomade mostly but hes said it can have a tendency to be too strong, any recommendations?

I use the Herbal Essance stuff that comes in the purple squeeze bottle, and it seems to work for me. I think that's also what DeeRee uses.

Nameless
2009-09-15, 08:19 PM
I've posted, like, a million there. I need to reindex myself someday, since half were lost in the purge, and the other half to Ego no longer indexing. =P

What?! I demand to see these! :smalleek:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 08:23 PM
Aaah, now I see it.

Definitely kyoot. Much the way I imagined Cobra looking.

...He looks like a tickle-hug-snuggle monster of the most fearsome sort. :smallsmile:

Aww. Thanks, hun. You're pretty adorable, yourself. *huggles*

Nameless, go to the last updated index. There's, like, 3 or 4 still up there.

Nameless
2009-09-15, 08:28 PM
Aww. Thanks, hun. You're pretty adorable, yourself. *huggles*

Nameless, go to the last updated index. There's, like, 3 or 4 still up there.

D'AWWW! (http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s38/Cobra_Ikari/sleeps.jpg) *snuggles*

cycoris
2009-09-15, 08:42 PM
D'AWWW! (http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s38/Cobra_Ikari/sleeps.jpg) *snuggles*

*absolutely smothers in hugs*

Adowable. <3

There's something about guys sleeping, or just waking up...

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 08:45 PM

Adowable. <3

Aww, thanks, hun! *snuggles* :smallsmile:

Really? >.>...*hops into the top bunk, snoozes adorably* =3

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-15, 08:46 PM
Also rambling goofily before collapsing of tiredness.

Nameless
2009-09-15, 08:48 PM

Adowable. <3

Then you haven't seen me in the morning. :smalltongue:

cycoris
2009-09-15, 08:49 PM
Aww, thanks, hun! *snuggles* :smallsmile:

Really? >.>...*hops into the top bunk, snoozes adorably* =3

:smallsigh::smallredface::smallbiggrin:

Definitely adorable. For some reason you remind me of a kitty-cat in that picture.

Yes, I can't believe that I forgot that!

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 08:51 PM
:smallsigh::smallredface::smallbiggrin:

Definitely adorable. For some reason you remind me of a kitty-cat in that picture.

Yes, I can't believe that I forgot that!

*curls up in lap, purrs, demands ear-scritches* =3

...hmm. By your logic, I should be adorable always. So...why do I have so much trouble finding people who like me? :smallconfused:

Thatguyoverther
2009-09-15, 08:52 PM

Ha! I knew my lack of sleep would pay dividends eventually.

Mando Knight
2009-09-15, 09:11 PM

Funny... I've got a similar sentiment about girls doing so...

Trobby
2009-09-15, 09:14 PM

I second that D'aww. *Joins the pile of snuggles*

Now, this might be the wrong thread for this question, but I guess it's as good a topic as any to ask. Girls, how would you feel comfortable if your boyfriend admitted to liking other guys? In a "You know, I think X is kinda handsome..." Sorta way?

Dragonrider
2009-09-15, 09:14 PM
Alright, enough kitty snuggles. :smallbiggrin:

A GIRL THING:

I get BABY WANT. :smallsigh: I saw someone walking through the campus with her baby in a stroller today and went OOH OOH WANT! Or rather, "I wish I were at a stage in life where I could haz kids." Because I <3 them and I can't explain why.

I'm going to try and get a nannying job for an infant over the summer.

Edit: @^: Depends. If it were in a sexual way, I would probably be uncomfortable (hypothetical, as I don't have a boyfriend). If it was an empirical statement of good looks, I wouldn't mind.

cycoris
2009-09-15, 09:18 PM
A GIRL THING:

I get BABY WANT. :smallsigh: I saw someone walking through the campus with her baby in a stroller today and went OOH OOH WANT! Or rather, "I wish I were at a stage in life where I could haz kids." Because I <3 them and I can't explain why.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one.

Except that my reaction is more like "WANT! WANT! Don't care that I'm fifteen, want!"

...Sometimes my hormones scare me.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-15, 09:20 PM

Except that my reaction is more like "WANT! WANT! Don't care that I'm fifteen, want!"

...Sometimes my hormones scare me.

...I'm a guy, and I get that sometimes. Not from babies, from, like, 3-5 year olds, when they're all sweet and adorable. At the "run up and hug strangers' knees" stage. =3

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-15, 09:22 PM
In Psycholinguistics we're reading a book about language development in children, and it's so cheery and there are so many "Do this with your kid!" sections that I just want to have one.
Not anytime soon though.

Mando Knight
2009-09-15, 09:23 PM

...I know what you mean... except for me, it's like "WANT... Oh, right. Need to get a girl first..."

...This is why I don't talk about this kind of stuff IRL...

Dragonrider
2009-09-15, 09:23 PM

You already knew you weren't the only one, because we've had this conversation like six times. :smallbiggrin:

@Cobra...yeah...that's pretty cute, too.