PDA

View Full Version : The Circle of Assassins [Game started!]

Kensen
2009-09-15, 10:03 AM
You're one of the top 13 assassins working in the city of Redrum. Due to the recession, it's harder and harder to find jobs, and therefore, it's time to eliminate competition. Will you be the best assassin in Redrum or will you die trying?

Rules:

1. Character creation

You need an alias. An alias is simply [last name, first name], for example: Smith, Anna.

You also need a favored weapon or method of killing. You may add as many details as you like. This is for flavor only.

Send me this information in a PM. For example:

Smith, Anna
Anna kills her victims with a katana or shuriken. She always leaves a red rose at the crime scene.

Also, post a new message in this thread and say something like "I'm in" so that everyone else knows how many players have joined the game.

2. Gameplay

To kill another character, you must guess correctly which alias belongs to which player. You may make one guess per round. Send your guess to me in a PM. For example:

Arthur Bennington is Kensen.

If you guess right, the targeted character dies at the end of the round, and the player is out of the game. Simultaneous kills are possible. I announce (and narrate) any deaths and assassination attempts.

This is repeated round after round until there's only one assassin left. If there are two assassins left at the end of a round, the one with more kills wins.

Bored
2009-10-02, 04:34 AM
I'm in. (10char)

Mordokai
2009-10-02, 04:48 AM
I shall try this :smallsmile: Expect my PM in next few hours.

Zar Peter
2009-10-02, 04:49 AM
This sounds good. I'm in, just thinking of an Alias.

Oh, and how long does a round last?

Another question: What happens if you get 10 PMs with "Smith, Anna" as alias? :smallwink:

Wizibirb
2009-10-02, 04:50 AM
I shall be in! let it be known your death's shall be slow and painful!

smuchmuch
2009-10-02, 05:07 AM
Interested. Alias send.

Trixie
2009-10-02, 05:51 AM
In. :smalltongue:

banjo1985
2009-10-02, 05:57 AM
In, PM coming up.

Irbis
2009-10-02, 06:08 AM
In, please :smalltongue:

Jontom Xire
2009-10-02, 06:22 AM
Hmm, not quite sure I see how this can work, but ok.

In.

The Bookworm
2009-10-02, 06:31 AM
In. PMIng later.

Oddity
2009-10-02, 07:53 AM
IN, this is going to be fun
PM sending now.

so will there be a list of players alias's posted? I assume we would be able to RP in this (or another) thread

Fleeing Coward
2009-10-02, 08:20 AM
In, PMing soon.

Freshmeat
2009-10-02, 08:30 AM
Definitely in.

Trixie
2009-10-02, 08:57 AM
So... that makes thirteen?

Kensen
2009-10-02, 03:04 PM
One of the thirteen hasn't sent me a PM yet. Since this is basically a first come, first served type of recruitment, I'll take the first thirteen players to both post here and send me a PM.

A few rules clarifications:

If a player is idle for two consecutive rounds, he's out.
A round ends when 72 hours (3 days) have passed from my post that announces the beginning of the round, or when all remaining players have sent me their PMs, whichever comes first.
EDIT: In the end of round reports it is mentioned who (alias) tried to kill whom, for example: "John Doe said: Anna Smith is Mordokai".

Kensen
2009-10-02, 03:48 PM
This sounds good. I'm in, just thinking of an Alias.

Oh, and how long does a round last?

Another question: What happens if you get 10 PMs with "Smith, Anna" as alias? :smallwink:

Haha, it will make guessing a whole lot easier. :smallwink:

1 round = 3 days

Murska
2009-10-02, 04:14 PM
Posting here in case I beat the thirteenth then. :smallbiggrin:

Kensen
2009-10-02, 04:39 PM
Alright, we have a thirteenth player!

Round 1 begins!

It's time to shoot, stab, maim, poison and strangle!

Round 1 ends in 72 hours, or when all players have sent me their PMs, whichever comes first.

The Players:

banjo1985
Bored
Fleeing Coward
Freshmeat
Irbis
Jontom Xire
Mordokai
Murska
Oddity
Sanity702
smuchmuch
Trixie
Zar Peter

The Assassins:

Anderson, Johann
Bennet, Sam
Bond, James
Cotton, Mary Ann
Hirusake, Toby
Jaspers, Anthony
Jirrix
Kitchingham, Philander
Meat, Fresh
Nightingale, Doran
Ratzenberg, Roland
Roamo, Kid
Stark, George

But who is who? o.O

Note: You're allowed to discuss the characters and your theories regarding their identities in this thread but be careful not to reveal anything that will get your own character killed!

Wizibirb
2009-10-02, 05:17 PM
And so the slaughter begins,

Murska
2009-10-02, 05:32 PM
Okay, Mordokai is so Meat, Fresh. :smallbiggrin:

Oddity
2009-10-02, 06:51 PM
Jirrix? we were allowed to have one name? *giggles*

Kensen
2009-10-03, 12:18 AM
The idea was to have a first name and a last name because it looks nicer in the list, buuuuut absolutely no harm done. :smallbiggrin:

UPDATE: Alright, three nine eleven people have sent me their guesses. Two more people to go and round 1 ends! :smallsmile:

Kensen
2009-10-05, 01:05 PM
Closing round one in about three hours. One of the players hasn't sent me a PM yet...

I'm thinking I might shorten the round. Most of you sent me your PMs within 24 hours and nearly everybody had done that within 48 hours, so I'm thinking maybe 48 hours would be enough. I'm an impatient person. :smalltongue: Let me know if you object to this rules change.

Mordokai
2009-10-05, 01:08 PM
I'm fine with that and am supporting it.

Trixie
2009-10-05, 01:11 PM
Even 36 hours will be fine :smalltongue:

Zar Peter
2009-10-05, 01:54 PM
Closing round one in about three hours. One of the players hasn't sent me a PM yet...

I'm thinking I might shorten the round. Most of you sent me your PMs within 24 hours and nearly everybody had done that within 48 hours, so I'm thinking maybe 48 hours would be enough. I'm an impatient person. :smalltongue: Let me know if you object to this rules change.

Fine for me, too.

smuchmuch
2009-10-05, 02:01 PM
48 hours is fine.

Kensen
2009-10-05, 03:12 PM
Round 1 ends!

Mr. Meat had been shadowing an Asian looking guy for hours. "Hirusake, Toby... you'll be the first to die." Mr. Meat was observing Toby's eating habits: where he had lunch, did he eat meat or was he one of those blasted vegetarians.. or *gasp* vegans! Mr. Meat got lost in his thoughts for a moment and lost sight of his mark. "Where did he go..."

Toby pulled his machete from under his trenchcoat and waited... he knew he was being followed and he had set a trap for Mr. Meat and waited for him to walk right into it. But Mr. Meat was cautious and decided it was better to stop shadowing Toby for today and continue another day. A moment later he spotted someone crouching on a rooftop, holding something in his hands - a rifle.. or maybe a crossbow. Mr. Meat ducked into a nearby alley and started running. "Drat, someone's after me..."

He caught a glimpse of some androgynous looking person with purple hair wearing red robes and waving a wand in his hand. "What the...? This is getting weird!" Before the elf finished casting his/her spell (or whatever he/she was doing), Mr. Meat had made his way inside a nearby building and entered a secret passage that led into the city's sewer network. *sighing* "I gotta take a shower once I get back home, so I'll smell fresh again..."

---

Meanwhile, Roland Ratzenberg was reading a secret file he had obtained by hacking the Redrum Police Department's main server. "Dammit, the stupid cops have no useful info on this Jirrix..." He was upset because he had not gotten anything useful on his mark, and he hit his desk with his fist. A box of cookies he had just opened and placed onto the desk fell onto the floor. His cat, Mew Mew, started eating the cookies that now lay scattered on the floor.

---

Mary Ann Cotton was in her kitchen, cooking and humming the melody of a song that had been popular in the 1800s. She had just sent all three Roland Ratzenbergs living in Redrum a nice little present. Special cookies with some... extra ingredients.

Someone was watching her from afar, waiting. "The next time you come outside, old hag..."

Sam Bennet was driving his van and whistling some tune that he couldn't remember where he had heard it. He parked the van near Mr. Nightingale's house. After spending some time at the house, he returned to the van and drove home. "This concludes our broadcast day. Click."

---

An old Scottish man was standing in front of a mirror, putting on a tuxedo. "The name is Bond, James Bond. And you, Kid Roamo---" He shook his head, and said to himself "You're getting old, James."

Meanwhile, Johann Anderson was watching Goldfinger and planning his next move. He frowned when Goldfinger turned off the laser just before it could obliterate Mr. Bond's family jewels. "I'm not gonna make the same mistake..."

Round 1: hits and misses

Fresh Meat said: Hirusake, Toby is Fleeing Coward (miss!)
Toby Hirusake said: Fresh Meat is Murska (miss!)
Anthony Jaspers said: Fresh Meat is Murska (miss!)
Jirrix said: Fresh Meat is Mordokai (miss!)
Roland Ratzenberg said: Jirrix is Oddity (miss!)
Mary Ann Cotton said: Roland Ratzenberg is Fleeing Coward (miss!)
Doran Nightingale said: Mary Ann Cotton is Trixie (miss!)
Sam Bennet said: Doran Nightingale is Zar Peter (miss!)
James Bond said: Kid Roamo is banjo1985 (miss!)
Johann Anderson said: James Bond is Freshmeat (miss!)
Philander Kitchingham was idle.
Kid Roamo was idle.
George Stark's target was invalid.

Round 2 begins and ends in 48 hours!

Players and assassins:

Since nobody died, use the same lists as on round 1. Bang bang!

Trixie
2009-10-05, 04:49 PM
So... A few wild shots: Murska is Jirrix, and two absent people (Jontom and Bored) are Kitchingham and Roamo, eh? :smalltongue:

[rolls dice as clairvoyance experiment]:

banjo1985 = Meat, Fresh
Bored = Roamo, Kid
Fleeing Coward = Ratzenberg, Roland
Freshmeat = Stark, George
Irbis = Bennet, Sam
Jontom Xire = Kitchingham, Philander
Mordokai = Bond, James
Murska = Jirrix
Oddity = Jaspers, Anthony
Sanity702 = Nightingale, Doran
smuchmuch = Hirusake, Toby
Trixie = Anderson, Johann
Zar Peter = Cotton, Mary Ann

Huh, I wonder how many are right :smalltongue:

Murska
2009-10-05, 06:00 PM
None as far as I know. :smallbiggrin:

smuchmuch
2009-10-05, 06:03 PM
Well look ,like that was only misses for today.

@ Kensen:
Just a little rule clarrification:
What happens if two or more players happen to target rightfully the same victim the same night ? Soes the kill tentative cancels each other ? And if they doesn't, who get the kill ?

Kensen
2009-10-06, 12:42 AM
smuchmuch: Ah, that's a good question and the only thing I mentioned about it was "simultaneous kills are possible". What this really means is that if player A hits (guesses correctly) player B, and player B hits player A, both players die.

This is why the game ends if there are only two players remaining. There simply is no chance of guessing incorrectly, so many games would probably end with no winner. That's why the number of kills functions as a tie breaker.

It's also possible that player A and player B hit player C on the same round. Both players get a kill, and player C is very much dead.

If it so happens that there are two players left and they have the same number of kills, the number of "unassisted" kills determines the winner. If it's still a tie, I guess I'll let other players vote.

Kensen
2009-10-06, 01:01 AM
Roughly one half of the players have sent me their guesses and guess what!

We got our first winner! By "winner" of course I mean we got our first "stiff". By which I mean there's at least one CONFIRMED CASUALTY ON ROUND 2!!! :smallbiggrin:

Oh and one more rule. It hasn't really been a problem so far, but from now on, once you've sent your PM, cannot change your guess. Once you pull the trigger, so to say, it's too late to change your mind.

The only exception to this rule is that if your target is invalid (e.g. a dead character or your own character) I'll notify you about it and let you change the target if there's still time. Note however that targeting yourself (your user name) is ok, you just cannot target your own character.

This is ok:

Arthur Bennington [Kensen's character] says: Anna Smith is Kensen

but this is not ok:

Arthur Bennington [Kensen's character] says: Arthur Bennington is Murska

Kensen out.

Trixie
2009-10-06, 11:44 AM
Um, and what's exactly the logic in that? :smallconfused:

By pointing at yourself, you only take away one possibility from your alias, while that does not sufficiently deceive others to be worth it, unless I missed something :smallconfused:

Zar Peter
2009-10-06, 12:04 PM
Um, and what's exactly the logic in that? :smallconfused:

By pointing at yourself, you only take away one possibility from your alias, while that does not sufficiently deceive others to be worth it, unless I missed something :smallconfused:

Well, it could be used to distract others from your trace. Arthur Bennington tried to kill Kensen ergo Arthur Bennington can't be Kensen.

Trixie
2009-10-06, 12:25 PM
Um, that doesn't work. We know who pointed on who.

In fact, as described, DM is blocking the less damaging variant, I think.

A question for DM - was that invalid vote yesterday an attempt of such a vote? If you cannot say, was that rule in force yesterday?

Zar Peter
2009-10-06, 01:07 PM

A question for DM - was that invalid vote yesterday an attempt of such a vote? If you cannot say, was that rule in force yesterday?

How do you know who pointed at whom????

We only know which alias tried to kill which player. And it's possible that the alias of one player tries to kill his player. And yes, since I asked before the game started I know the rule was in force yesterday :smallwink:

Kensen
2009-10-06, 03:40 PM

Zar Peter is right. If you look at the end of round report, three things are mentioned about each assassination attempt: The name of the character who attempts to assassinate another character, the name of the targeted character and the name of the targeted player. If you target your own character, you'll get a line like this in the report:

Anna Smith said: Anna Smith is Kensen.

If Anna Smith is Kensen, you're trying to kill yourself. If Anna Smith isn't Kensen, you're telling everyone else that Anna Smith is not Kensen (thus making it easier for other players to guess who is who). Either way, you cannot possibly benefit from targeting your own character.

It wasn't mentioned in the rules that you cannot target your own character, but no-one in their right mind would do that unless they've misunderstood something about the rules. My job as the GM is to make sure that the players understand the rules and clarify the rules if this is not the case. This time I added a new rule that in fact just clarifies the intent of the existing rules. I'm sorry if it seems unfair that I'm adding new rules on the fly, but I really do that only to make the game better and more enjoyable for everyone.

I didn't mention it before, but this is the first time I'm running Circle of Assassins, so please bear with me, the game is not perfect. (yet! :smalltongue:)

Zar Peter
2009-10-06, 04:00 PM
Zar Peter is right. If you look at the end of round report, three things are mentioned about each assassination attempt: The name of the character who attempts to assassinate another character, the name of the targeted character and the name of the targeted player. If you target your own character, you'll get a line like this in the report:

Anna Smith said: Anna Smith is Kensen.

If Anna Smith is Kensen, you're trying to kill yourself. If Anna Smith isn't Kensen, you're telling everyone else that Anna Smith is not Kensen (thus making it easier for other players to guess who is who). Either way, you cannot possibly benefit from targeting your own character.

It wasn't mentioned in the rules that you cannot target your own character, but no-one in their right mind would do that unless they've misunderstood something about the rules. My job as the GM is to make sure that the players understand the rules and clarify the rules if this is not the case. This time I added a new rule that in fact just clarifies the intent of the existing rules. I'm sorry if it seems unfair that I'm adding new rules on the fly, but I really do that only to make the game better and more enjoyable for everyone.

I didn't mention it before, but this is the first time I'm running Circle of Assassins, so please bear with me, the game is not perfect. (yet! :smalltongue:)

I don't think so much of a rule change than a rule clarification and that's perfectly ok in these games.

And I'm really curious how this concept works out in the end.

Kensen
2009-10-06, 04:04 PM
Alright, I think I'm closing round 2 in a bit. One of the players hasn't sent me a PM yet, but then again, he hasn't sent me any PMs since he joined the game though he's been posting on the forums today and yesterday, so it's reasonable to assume he's withdrawn from the game.

I'll be back soon. :smallsmile:

Bwahahahah, who'll die first? :smallbiggrin:

Zar Peter
2009-10-06, 04:06 PM
Alright, I think I'm closing round 2 in a bit. One of the players hasn't sent me a PM yet, but then again, he hasn't sent me any PMs since he joined the game though he's been posting on the forums today and yesterday, so it's reasonable to assume he's withdrawn from the game.

I'll be back soon. :smallsmile:

Bwahahahah, who'll die first? :smallbiggrin:

There's someone who enjoys being narrator a bit too much... next time I'll kill Kensen :smallbiggrin:

Kensen
2009-10-06, 04:18 PM
Hahah, you can try. I'll just make a new rule that makes me invulnerable. :smalltongue:

Seriously though, it would be interesting to play the game myself, but well it's too early to talk about that yet.

Mordokai
2009-10-06, 04:21 PM
There's someone who enjoys being narrator a bit too much... next time I'll kill Kensen :smallbiggrin:

You watch yourself, your majesty :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin: Assassins pick royal targets quite often, you know :smallamused:

Kensen
2009-10-06, 05:38 PM
Round 2 endeth and round 3 beginneth!

Damn it, he fled, Toby Hirusake thought. Well I better get going. He noticed an Aston Martin on the other side of the street. Its engine was running, and an elderly gentleman was sitting behind the wheel, eyeing passers-by nervously. Toby walked on, trying not to draw any attention to himself. As soon as he was sure the driver or anyone else could no longer see him, he changed his disguise and went home.

Roland Ratzenberg was lying on a rooftop, spying on a middle-aged fellow called George Stark. I'm still not sure if he's the George Stark I'm looking for... Then his thoughts went back to Mew Mew, his cute little cat who had fallen sick. I hope Mew Mew will get better...

Meanwhile, a middle-aged man, also named George Stark entered an apartment owned by Kid Roamo. He opened the door, but he had to close it quickly because the stench in the apartment was so revolting. He felt a little nauseous and almost threw up. He took a deep breath and entered the apartment. A grisly sight greeted him: a partially decomposed Kid Roamo was sitting on a couch. George quickly inspected the body and found out he had probably died of natural causes. George was angry - he was supposed to kill Kid Roamo! He quickly left the apartment, fearing that someone might call the cops if the stench alarmed people living next door.

Mr. Meat emerged from the sewer system through a manhole. He wiped muck off his clothes, and looked around. Where the heck am I? He had been pursued by the purple haired elf in the sewers and it had been devilishly difficult to lose the tail. He noticed a restaurant just across the street and realized how hungry he was. He went it and the waiter showed him to the furthest corner booth. After a few minutes, Mr. Meat was ready to order and the waiter came back and placed eating utensils on the table. To Mr. Meat's horror, the utensils were curved like spoons but also had tines on them, like forks! "This is WRONG! How am I supposed to eat with these?"

"You're mistaken, Mr. Meat," the waiter said, "you're not here to eat. You're here to die."

With that, the waiter stabbed Mr. Meat in the throat with a spork. Mr. Meat tried to scream, but the brutal implement of death - spork - had punctured and crushed his windpipe. The waiter stabbed him a few more times for good measure.

Mr. Meat is dead meat.

(Sorry, today's narrative doesn't include all characters >.< )

hits and misses:

James Bond said: Toby Hirusake is Oddity (miss!)
Fresh Meat said: Toby Hirusake is Trixie (miss!)
Roland Ratzenberg said: George Stark is smuchmuch (miss!)
Philander Kitchingham said: Fresh Meat is Fleeing Coward (HIT!)
Mary Ann Cotton said: Fresh Meat is Jontom Xire (miss!)
Jirrix said: Fresh Meat is Freshmeat (miss!)
Toby Hirusake said: Jirrix is Trixie (miss!)
Doran Nightingale said: Jirrix is Sanity702 (miss!)
Johann Anderson said: Jirrix is Murska (miss!)
George Stark said: Kid Roamo is Bored (miss!)
Sam Bennet said: Roland Ratzenberg is Trixie (miss!)
Anthony Jaspers: James Bond is Bored (miss!)
Kid Roamo was idle (killed by idling)

Players and assassins:

Players
banjo1985
Bored
Freshmeat
Irbis
Mordokai
Murska
Oddity
Sanity702
smuchmuch
Trixie
Zar Peter

Assassins
Anderson, Johann
Bennet, Sam
Bond, James
Cotton, Mary Ann
Hirusake, Toby
Jaspers, Anthony
Jirrix
Kitchingham, Philander
Nightingale, Doran
Ratzenberg, Roland
Stark, George

Trixie
2009-10-06, 05:47 PM
So, FC tried to kill me once again? :smallamused:

Huh, I feel it will not be 20 games, but 50 :smallbiggrin:

Trixie
2009-10-06, 05:50 PM
So... [cut] Jontom [cut] Roamo.

Huh, dead on - in your face :smalltongue:

Fleeing Coward
2009-10-06, 07:12 PM
So, FC tried to kill me once again? :smallamused:

Huh, I feel it will not be 20 games, but 50 :smallbiggrin:

Might as well make it 100. The point of most of these game are to kill people after all :smallbiggrin:

Trixie
2009-10-06, 07:23 PM
Bez Kozery powiem pińćset! :smallamused:

Kensen
2009-10-07, 04:31 PM
Five people have sent me their guesses this round... and there's roughly 24 hours left.

Send send send, kill kill kill! :smalltongue:

Jontom Xire
2009-10-08, 02:31 AM

Ok, I am officially bowing out of this game. I had NOT withdrawn from the game, I simply hadn't been told or noticed that it had started! I am Kid Roama which is an anagram of Mordokai, the same thing as FC being Fresh Meat, but no-one noticed.

The reason I was inactive as Trixie so easily spotted is because:

1) I got NO notification that this game had started.
2) The game thread did not appear as a new post in the forum list.

So I missed out on TWO WHOLE ROUNDS!! FFS that's ridiculous.

Kensen, the game seems quite cool, but as a narrator you suck. You REALLY need to send reminders to people for a game like this, AND you need to allow longer for each round, and you need to allow a little longer on day one for people to even notice that the thread is there!! Secondly, I and others too, log on from work. We don't work weekends, so...at weekends we don't read threads or post. When I was playing Diplomacy in another thread, the GM was quite aware of this, particularly since I posted in thread saying so, and was very understanding when orders were due in at weekends. In turn I tried to get orders in early before weekends where possible.

I have been online on this forum every day since 8am UK time on Monday for 8 hours, checking every hour or two for any new posts and I didn't see this thread. So what happened? Did the title still say recruiting and not make it obvious that the game had started? Maybe new posts didn't get marked as new posts? Actually recently every morning that I come in, all posts are marked as already read so I check the threads for all games that I know have started, but since I didn't know this game had started...

So two whole rounds went by without me, allowing Trixie to guess who I was simply by my absence. In case you hadn't guessed I'm really very annoyed by this.

I think I would have done really well at this game too.

When you were asking people if it would be ok to end the round early as only one person hadn't sent in a kill, did it not occur to you to PM that person to give them (me) a poke that the game was active and they ought to PM you with a kill? If you had PMed me when the game started I would have PMed you back as promptly as possible, although you did start the game on a Friday so I might have gone home from work already.

Kensen
2009-10-08, 03:21 AM
Apologies, Jontom Xire. This is my first structured game, so yeah I probably suck as a narrator. :smalleek:

The thread should have appeared as a new post in the list and I did change the thread name to indicate the game had started, though.

If the game plays well and stays interesting until the end, I'll run a second CoA, and you're welcome to join if you're still interested. Thanks for your advice on running this kind of games. :smallsmile:

Trixie
2009-10-08, 04:07 AM
Ok, I am officially bowing out of this game. I had NOT withdrawn from the game, I simply hadn't been told or noticed that it had started! I am Kid Roama which is an anagram of Mordokai, the same thing as FC being Fresh Meat, but no-one noticed.

Um, I spotted it, but I initially thought you were James Bond. You know, initials and that whole Brit pride thing :smalltongue:

Jontom, to be fair - narrator really did changed the title of the thread, and the fact you've managed to spot the start only after six days is a bit... strange. Sorry, two and a half days passed, with entire new page and it never registered? And did you told him you'll be absent for a weekend? :smallconfused:

And I haven't spotted you, I've only made the circle of suspects smaller :smalltongue:

To be fair, perhaps Kensen should have consulted you - but I don't remember any WW narrator doing this. Even Irbis, who (as I understand) was autolynched recently got only one warning, and it was from his teammate, not from narrator. Plus, I support the decision to make days shorter. This, unlike WW games, had almost no discussion and making days longer than 48 hours is really overkill. All this does is slowing the game and making the players forget that they're in it :smalltongue:

Jontom Xire
2009-10-08, 04:29 AM
Usually when most WW games start you get a role PM.

Recently there was a game where the narrator in the rules said "if you don't get a PM you're a villager" and there was general outrage, both from people who missed the post and were asking how come the game had started without being told their role, and also from people like me who didn't realise the game had started until and entire day/night phase had passed.

This game doesn't have roles. And you're right, more than 48 hours is kinda overkill for a turn. It is bizarre that I missed it for 6 days straight, but perhaps the fact that the game is mostly played by PM and not by posting in thread may have something to do with it. Add in the fact that the forum marks all posts as read when I first log in in the morning, and this is a very low profile thread.

---

Game problems/fixes:

1) PM players when the game starts. It might be an idea to remind them of their code name if the recruitment phase was quite long. A bit of welcoming flavour text is always nice too.

2) Everyone uses the thread search to find inactive players. If a player misses a turn due to, e.g. being in hospital, it being a weekend, losing internet connectivity perhaps due to a hurricane, then that makes it easy for people to see who didn't attempt a kill and which player hasn't been online and figure out an identity. Perhaps it would be good to NOT say who tried what kill, only what combinations were attempted. People can see that someone was inactive, but not who.

3) Attempting to kill yourself: When I set up my code name as an anagram of Mordokai, the first thing I was going to do was go "Hey look, Kid Roamo is an anagram of Mordokai" and then try and do a kill using that pairing. Everyone would see that I was trying to get Kid Roamo killed and assume that I wasn't Kid Roamo. It seems a valid tactic to me. Like staging a fake murder attempt to make it seem like you are a victim rather than the murderer (I read too much Agatha Christie).

4) I also thought all kill attempts would be in thread, rather than private. Apart from the fact that you report which code name attempted each kill, why do it by PM? I think you could solve 2, and possibly the problem of an inactive thread by doing it this way. Games played purely by PM often don't do well at all - I've tried it and it turned out to be a popular game with some but mostly unpopular. Then people can see who is inactive by who doesn't post a kill attempt, but it doesn't matter because they still don't know which code name didn't post. You would also need to add an auto-lynch feature I think.

Kensen
2009-10-08, 04:33 AM
On a side note, you are allowed to make pacts with other players by sending PMs, for example:

"Hi Trixie, I suggest we make a deal: I won't attack you [Trixie] in the next three rounds and you won't attack me [Kensen] in the next three rounds. What do you think?"

Of course, you can deceive the other player, but then again, if you weren't going to attack him/her anyway, you're not really losing anything if you do accept the deal and abide by it.

EDIT: Thanks for the ideas on improving the game, Jontom. :smallsmile:

8 players have sent me their PMs, 3 more to go.

Fleeing Coward
2009-10-08, 05:18 AM
3) Attempting to kill yourself: When I set up my code name as an anagram of Mordokai, the first thing I was going to do was go "Hey look, Kid Roamo is an anagram of Mordokai" and then try and do a kill using that pairing. Everyone would see that I was trying to get Kid Roamo killed and assume that I wasn't Kid Roamo. It seems a valid tactic to me. Like staging a fake murder attempt to make it seem like you are a victim rather than the murderer (I read too much Agatha Christie).

I tried that, look where it got me :smalltongue:

Trixie
2009-10-08, 05:23 AM
This game doesn't have roles. And you're right, more than 48 hours is kinda overkill for a turn. It is bizarre that I missed it for 6 days straight, but perhaps the fact that the game is mostly played by PM and not by posting in thread may have something to do with it. Add in the fact that the forum marks all posts as read when I first log in in the morning, and this is a very low profile thread.

Use Firefox :smalltongue:

And yes, I see your point. If I had missed something, I'd be probably angry, too.

Which game it was?

2) Everyone uses the thread search to find inactive players. If a player misses a turn due to, e.g. being in hospital, it being a weekend, losing internet connectivity perhaps due to a hurricane, then that makes it easy for people to see who didn't attempt a kill and which player hasn't been online and figure out an identity. Perhaps it would be good to NOT say who tried what kill, only what combinations were attempted. People can see that someone was inactive, but not who.

4) I also thought all kill attempts would be in thread, rather than private. Apart from the fact that you report which code name attempted each kill, why do it by PM? I think you could solve 2, and possibly the problem of an inactive thread by doing it this way. Games played purely by PM often don't do well at all - I've tried it and it turned out to be a popular game with some but mostly unpopular. Then people can see who is inactive by who doesn't post a kill attempt, but it doesn't matter because they still don't know which code name didn't post.

Hmm, you might have a point about kills being made in the thread. Perhaps this can be tried in the next game? :ike a point in regular WW game?

Mmmm, Agatha Christie.

Out of curiosity, which game was that?

You would also need to add an auto-lynch feature I think.

Um... weren't you autolynched? :smallconfused:

Kensen
2009-10-08, 05:43 AM
Hmm, you might have a point about kills being made in the thread. Perhaps this can be tried in the next game? :ike a point in regular WW game?

Actually, in the first draft of the rules, the guesses were made publicly. But I discarded the idea because in CoA, one hit kills, and thus you'd know right away if your character had been killed. In my opinion, it's more fun to wait... wait... and wait... and then read the narrative and see if your character survived.

EDIT: 10 guesses made, 1 more to go!

Oddity
2009-10-08, 05:54 AM
It also means it is harder for people to coordinate a kill of someone (eg: trying every combination left) because no one knows (via PM) if others have fulfilled their side of an agreement.

Makes for fun killing :smallbiggrin:

Jontom Xire
2009-10-08, 06:22 AM
Use Firefox :smalltongue:

I do. And when work forces me to use IE to view an intranet website, I just use IETab add-on instead!

Which game it was?

Which game what was?

Mmmm, Agatha Christie.

Out of curiosity, which game was that?

Again, which game was what?

Um... weren't you autolynched? :smallconfused:

Nah. I quit. Seeing as you had guessed that I was one of two possibilities, it wouldn't be long before both were tried and I died.

Kensen: I think you missed a trick there. Firstly it's more fun making the player squirm waiting until his death scene arrives, and even more fun to see what tricks they try to get the person to change their kill attempt (you would have to allow people to change their "point"). Then if they did survive other people might notice that their actions were designed to make someone change their point and re-point the same combination. So when tryign to save your own life you would have to be REALLY subtle. And therein lies skill and intrigue and all sorts of other fun stuff. Thanks for pointing out that people can see they are about to die, but in my opinion that makes the game more active, less passive, and a whole lot more fun. It also massively increases in-thread activity, which again makes the game more fun. At the moment it's a bit linear and shallow - players send PMs then wait for the results to arrive. A bit boring. Yes you can try and analyse who pointed at who to work stuff out, but you can add an extra dimension of interactivity if points are public. In fact the idea is so exciting I'd like to run another game like that in parallel to this one - or preferably get someone else to so I can play it :)

Oddity: Good point, but you could always make it so that players could over-ride their in thread point with a point by PM. And then report the correct point in the summary.

Oddity
2009-10-08, 06:36 AM
Kensen: I think you missed a trick there. Firstly it's more fun making the player squirm waiting until his death scene arrives, and even more fun to see what tricks they try to get the person to change their kill attempt (you would have to allow people to change their "point"). Then if they did survive other people might notice that their actions were designed to make someone change their point and re-point the same combination. So when tryign to save your own life you would have to be REALLY subtle. And therein lies skill and intrigue and all sorts of other fun stuff. Thanks for pointing out that people can see they are about to die, but in my opinion that makes the game more active, less passive, and a whole lot more fun. It also massively increases in-thread activity, which again makes the game more fun. At the moment it's a bit linear and shallow - players send PMs then wait for the results to arrive. A bit boring. Yes you can try and analyse who pointed at who to work stuff out, but you can add an extra dimension of interactivity if points are public. In fact the idea is so exciting I'd like to run another game like that in parallel to this one - or preferably get someone else to so I can play it :)

Oddity: Good point, but you could always make it so that players could over-ride their in thread point with a point by PM. And then report the correct point in the summary.

I agree with having a more active tread because of public points (I would be able to roleplay without looking so suspicious), but it also means that others can clearly see where you have changed your point. (what you did is publicly declared), whereas in WW games when you change your action via PM (in allowing games) it is far less obvious. Having points publicly declared definitely has its advantages but I think maybe Kensen wanted to keep the tactics available with secret points.

Jontom Xire
2009-10-08, 06:47 AM
I agree with having a more active tread because of public points (I would be able to roleplay without looking so suspicious), but it also means that others can clearly see where you have changed your point. (what you did is publicly declared), whereas in WW games when you change your action via PM (in allowing games) it is far less obvious. Having points publicly declared definitely has its advantages but I think maybe Kensen wanted to keep the tactics available with secret points.

Yeah and like I said in the bit you quoted, you could have it so that a PM'ed action over-rode all in-thread actions, so you could point your head off in thread to no effect while using PM for your actual action and no-one would know until the end of the round.

Kensen
2009-10-08, 07:32 AM
Jontom: If you decide to run a game parallel to this one with the rules changes you suggested, count me in. :smallsmile:

It's true that public guessing would make the game more active and increase in-thread activity. However, I like the secretive nature of CoA.

Maybe... each player should get two actions per round. One public action, one secret action. The secret action would be the assassination attempt, while the public action would be something else.. hmmm. :smallconfused:

Oddity
2009-10-08, 07:49 AM
Yeah and like I said in the bit you quoted, you could have it so that a PM'ed action over-rode all in-thread actions, so you could point your head off in thread to no effect while using PM for your actual action and no-one would know until the end of the round.

By change points I meant by PM not publicly. If you change your point in thread everyone sees, yes?. But if you change your point via PM everyone sees the change in the next round.
You may be able to trick someone and get them killed with the 'change of accusation PM' but you would surely be pulled up the next round by the surviving players who know you changed your point. (and will be interrogating you as to why)

I heartily support a version with public accusations, but I think that Kensen's version might benefit to stay with secretive PMs.

Another type of 'day' action could be very interesting. But it's too late for me to come up with suggestions now. I'm off to sleep.

To be continued tomorrow... Or while I sleep... who knows... :smallamused:

Kensen
2009-10-08, 02:03 PM
I'm closing round 3 in a few hours... one of the players hasn't sent me a PM yet...

Next round will be different. I've got a little surprise for you.

Kensen
2009-10-08, 03:02 PM
Round 3 ends and round 4 begins!

Jirrix felt cornered. Hunted, lonely, uncertain. He ditched the Vaarsuvius disguise in a dumpster and ran. He noticed a restaurant down the street and went inside thinking he might be able to lose the assassins on his trail if he had time to put on a new disguise in the bathroom. He also ordered a meal and was about to start eating as the waiter attacked, lunging at him with a spork in hand. Jirrix dodged and threw the plate at the waiter, distracting him momentarily. It was enough for him to run away. Jirrix didn't know that the waiter had just saved his life. Someone else had poisoned the dish with cyanide.

As luck would have it, Jirrix ran into the machete man - Toby Hirusake on the street. "Hey you! You tried to kill MY mark!" He swung his machete but just before it could hit Jirrix's head, a black, silver-tipped crossbow bolt hit the machete and ruined the attack. Jirrix ran as fast as he could.

They were all after him - the murderous waiter, the machete man, the crossbow sniper, the poison granny... great! He ran to his car and opened the door... but decided not to go inside. I'm sure they've tampered with my car too...

He headed for his hideout. Still alive... but how long will his luck last?

Hits and misses:

Jirrix was idle
Doran Nightingale: Mary Ann Cotton is Irbis (miss!)
Johann Anderson: Mary Ann Cotton is Irbis (miss!)
George Stark: Toby Hirusake is Irbis (miss!)
James Bond: Toby Hirusake is Murska (miss!)
Toby Hirusake: Jirrix is Irbis (miss!)
Philander Kitchingham: Jirrix is Oddity (miss!)
Sam Bennet: Jirrix is Mordokai (miss!)
Mary Ann Cotton: Jirrix is Zar Peter (miss!)
Anthony Jaspers: Jirrix is Freshmeat (miss!)
Roland Ratzenberg: Anthony Jaspers is Murska (miss!)

And here's the surprise for round 4: You get two guesses instead of one! However, you may not target the same player twice. Also, you may not target the same character twice.

I want more corpses! :smallbiggrin: Let the slaughter commence!

Kensen
2009-10-08, 04:33 PM
We're gonna get heaps of corpses this round! Bwahahahahah! :smallbiggrin:

Oddity
2009-10-08, 10:59 PM
Just to let you know Kensen (and others) i will be away for 24 hours but that shouldn't matter.

Kensen
2009-10-09, 12:46 AM
Alright, shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to be away all Saturday myself, but that shouldn't be a problem either.

Five players have sent me their guesses... and at least four assassins are going to die this round!!! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Irbis
2009-10-09, 04:15 AM
Awww :smallfrown:

Don't tell me you don't want me in the game :(

Kensen
2009-10-09, 05:06 AM
Wow, this round is going to be a real slaughterfest! I'm sure most of you are dying to see the results! :smallbiggrin:

Mordokai
2009-10-09, 05:41 AM
Permission to stab the narrator? Reason? Bad puns! :smalltongue:

Kensen
2009-10-09, 06:13 AM
Heheh :smalltongue: this round will be remembered as the round of bad puns!

Murska
2009-10-09, 06:50 AM
Permission granted, Mordy.

smuchmuch
2009-10-09, 03:58 PM
Another type of 'day' action could be very interesting. ...

I agree with taht as i don't think this game would profit much from public accusing.

Instead I suggest:

The betting system.

Every round a player can publicly points either at a player or an alias and bet he/she will die this round.
(example:
"I believe Kensen will be staabed this round with a rusty spork for his godawfull puns"
or
"Anna Smith will be the next to die."
A player can only point at one player/alias per round. You can bet against your own alias to throw off the other players (although winning that bet will bring little happyness as ,y'know, you will be dead.)

Every time a player get three (maybe four ?, number subject to change) bets right, he gains a hide.

A Hide is a private action that you can use in the same time as your normal pointing. It's a combinaison of a bane and a void. You can target it on any character, this alias will be unkillable for this round but will also be unable to kill, himself (any atempts against him will come as a miss but so will any pointing he does.). You can only get one Hide at a time (so even if you get your sixth bet right, if you didn't use your Hide, you don't get a new one.).

The possible uses of Hide are multiple :

Protect yourself if you believe you will be targeted this round at the cost of your attack for this round, protect someone else if you believe he will be succesfully targeted this round and you want to denny the kill to the others or simply block another player from killing anyone and simply throw everyone off by screwing up previsions and making peoples miss when they shouldn't.

Since the bets are public, players know who has a hide but they doesn't know when, if and on whom he/she will use it.

Wwhat do you think ?

Kensen
2009-10-10, 02:09 AM
Thanks smuchmuch! I like your idea, but it may be a bit complicated considering that the rules are otherwise very straightforward. Here's my version:

Public action (guessing who'll die next)

Each round, you try to predict who'll die next. You may target a player or a character. If you're right, you gain immunity for the next round. However, the following conditions must be met:

No-one else chose the same target.
At the beginning of the next round, there are at least five players left.

Immunity means that you cannot be targeted. So, for example if Kensen wins immunity, he's not a valid target on the round he has immunity.

It's possible for several characters to gain immunity on the same round as long as the targets are unique.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I may not be able to post an end of round report on Saturday because I'll be away for the most part of the day.

Kensen
2009-10-10, 02:34 AM
Alright, ten players have sent me their actions. The one that hasn't probably has dropped out as he hasn't replied to the PM I sent him last round. (Yes, I send PMs nowadays :smallwink:) However, I have no time to write the report now, so there's still a chance for him to send his actions.

Well, here's a teaser: 6 assassins are going to die this round. Yes, SIX killers are going SIX feet under. :smallbiggrin: In other words, on round FIVE, FIVE players are still in the running towards becoming Redrum's next top assassin!

Will Murska be crushed?
Has Trixie played her last trick?
Will there be much left of smuchmuch?
Has Banjo played his last solo?

Stay tuned for more bad puns! The endgame is about to begin!!!!!

Zar Peter
2009-10-10, 04:05 AM
Will Zar Peter stab the narrator finally?

*stab*

At least one question answered in time :smallbiggrin:

Oddity
2009-10-10, 04:06 AM

*stab*

Will Oddity act suspiciously odd?

Heck yea.

Murska
2009-10-10, 04:08 AM
The narrator knows finnish? Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Mordokai
2009-10-10, 04:13 AM

*stab*

Will Mordokai steal Empress's crown?

*steals*

Yes. Yes, he will :smallbiggrin:

The Bookworm
2009-10-10, 05:17 AM
Did Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Game mysteriously appear and make a random comment on a theme?

Yes, yes he did. :smalltongue:

Trixie
2009-10-11, 03:51 AM
[pokes thread with a stick] :smallconfused:

Kensen
2009-10-11, 03:57 AM
Yarr, I'm back! End of round report will be posted sometime soon!

Kensen
2009-10-11, 06:44 AM
Philander Kitchingham wipes spaghetti off his face. Wait... the sauce has a funny taste... bitter almonds... cyanide!!! Someone tried to poison my mark!

Seeing that Jirrix got away, Philander decided to find out who had tried to poison Jirrix instead. Probably one of the thirteen...

_/_/_/

Meanwhile, an angry Toby Hirusake picked up his machete and looked up to the rooftop where the crossbow bolt had come from.

I've never missed before! Anthony Jaspers thought, looking down to Toby Hirusake who had ruined his shot. He loaded another ebony-shafted bolt in his crossbow and took aim. Stop bolting around, machete man... *click*

_/_/_/

Mary Ann Cotton got back home and started making delicious but oh so deadly pastries. What she didn't know was that "Magic Sam" had rigged all her electrical appliances while she had been away...

_/_/_/

Anthony's bolt pierced Toby's left eye and entered his brain. Toby slumped onto the ground, squirming for a few agonizing seconds before he died. Anthony's expression remained stone-hard despite the gruesome sight. But a second later, a .50 BMG round entered his head and splattered bits of his brain and fragments of his skull onto the roof.

(heh heh, what a scatterbrain :smallbiggrin:)

_/_/_/

Jirrix made it to his secret hideout. He needed to use the bathroom and so he walked up to the door and turned the door knob. The moment the touched the knob, he got zapped by a massive jolt of electricity. The whites of his eyes glowed for a moment, his body shook and spasmed, and little puffs of smoke came from his ears. He fell to the floor, dead.

(no, I won't make a pun that involves the word "knob" :smallwink:)

_/_/_/

Roland Ratzenberg watched Johann Anderson through the scope of his sniper rifle. Mr. Anderson was crouching in the shadows with a garrote in his hands. He was probably planning to kill someone but Roland didn't care. He squeezed the trigger and Mr. Anderson's body jerked and then went limp. Half of his head was missing.

Five seconds later, Philander Kitchingham walked past the body. Philander realized that the man had been sniped and sought cover. But Roland had already left, pleased with his successful take-downs of two rival assassins.

_/_/_/

James Bond entered Mary Ann Cotton's apartment. He found the old lady. She was wearing an apron with hearts and the text "cooked with love" on it. Her gray hair had been straightened by an electric shock and her skin had been blackened. Mr. Bond frowned. "Shocking."

"Fascinating," said someone behind Mr. Bond's back. "Fascinating? Who are you, Spock?" Mr. Bond replied.

"Wrong. Spork."

"Kur- aarrgghh!!"

_/_/_/

hits and misses:

James Bond said: Murska is Nightingale, Doran (miss!). Cotton, Mary Ann is Oddity (miss!)
Mary Ann Cotton said: Jirrix is Murska said (miss!) Doran Nightingale is Irbis (miss!)
George Stark said: Zar Peter is Roland Ratzenberg (miss!) Oddity is Jirrix (miss!)
Toby Hirusake said: Jirrix is Banjo (miss!) George Stark is Mordokai (miss!)
Anthony Jaspers said: Jirrix is Banjo. (miss!) Toby Hirusake is Freshmeat (HIT!)
Philander Kitchingham said: Jirrix is smuchmuch (miss!) James Bond is Trixie (HIT!)
Sam Bennet said: Jirrix is Bored (HIT!). Mary Ann Cotton is Sanity702 (HIT!)
Roland Ratzenberg said: Anderson, Johann is Mordokai (HIT!). Jaspers, Anthony is Zar Peter. (HIT!)
Doran Nightingale said: Jirrix is smuchmuch (miss!). James Bond is Sanity702 (miss!)
Johann Anderson said: Kitchingham, Philander is Sanity702 (miss!). Nightingale, Doran is banjo1985 (miss!)

Kensen
2009-10-11, 07:03 AM
Round 4 ends and round 5 begins!!!

Only five players are left! It is possible though unlikely that this is the last round. Play smart, this round your guess will matter more than ever before!

Players and assassins

Players
banjo1985
Irbis
Murska
Oddity
smuchmuch

Assassins
Bennet, Sam (2 kills)
Kitchingham, Philander (2 kills)
Nightingale, Doran (no kills)
Ratzenberg, Roland (2 kills)
Stark, George (no kills)

Good luck!

Zar Peter
2009-10-11, 07:43 AM
I think it's only fair that Mordy and I died simutanously. :smallbiggrin:

Kensen
2009-10-11, 08:24 AM
I've been thinking about running a second CoA after this one's finished. I think I'll use a different theme this time. Here are a few ideas:

Menzoberranzan: The assassins are drow, half-drow, illithids, etc. and use weapons, poison, magic, psionics, etc. to kill each other.
Superhumans: The characters are superheroes and villains and try to find out about each other's weaknesses.
Highlander: You are immortal swordsmen (and women) trying to lop off each other's heads.
Senators: You are Roman senators backstabbing each other. Who will be the emperor of Rome?

Thoughts?

The Bookworm
2009-10-11, 08:40 AM
I've been thinking about running a second CoA after this one's finished. I think I'll use a different theme this time. Here are a few ideas:

Menzoberranzan: The assassins are drow, half-drow, illithids, etc. and use weapons, poison, magic, psionics, etc. to kill each other.
Superhumans: The characters are superheroes and villains and try to find out about each other's weaknesses.
Highlander: You are immortal swordsmen (and women) trying to lop off each other's heads.
Senators: You are Roman senators backstabbing each other. Who will be the emperor of Rome?

Thoughts?
Lowest to Highest:
Highlander (boring theme)
Senators (we have Rome WW going on right now w/ the same theme)
Superhumans (FUN!)
Menzoberranzan (AWESOME! FUNFUNFUN! Pwease can we play this?)

smuchmuch
2009-10-11, 08:58 AM
Well that was an.. interesting round to say the least. (I'm pretty sure i won't survive to see the next one, though.)

Thanks smuchmuch!

You're welcome. all I ask in return is a PM telling me who is who. :smalltongue:

I like your idea, but it may be a bit complicated considering that the rules are otherwise very straightforward. Here's my version:

Public action (guessing who'll die next)

*snip*

It's possible for several characters to gain immunity on the same round as long as the targets are unique.

It's certainly simpler wich is a good thing.
But I fear that it makes immunity a little to easy to get.
I'm not to fond of this rule, too:

No-one else chose the same target. as I fear it might dicouraged people from betting since it's to easy to have another player pointing at the target you did, just to annoy you. (wich would be a fine tactic at first but might get frustrating for the on who'll see it's immunity constantly denied and might dicouraged from using his day action.)
In my opinion, it's important to make sure day action is fun and easy to use for two reason:
-People posting often keep the thread regulary bumped (avoiding accidents like the one with Jantom Xire)
-It allow people to roleply (werewolf style that is: Pointing sneakily at peoples while keeping a plausible deniability about your own role, all of this wraped in somme flavor text.)

Instead I think:

People can bet on the same target but Immunity is only awarded after two correct guesses (rather than one).

would be better. That way it avoid a lucky player to gain to much of an advantage early in the game and it limits the number of time soemeone gets immunity (since you can get it only every two round or so at best)
After, It's up to you to see what makes the most balanced/fun game

* Menzoberranzan: The assassins are drow, half-drow, illithids, etc. and use weapons, poison, magic, psionics, etc. to kill each other.
* Superhumans: The characters are superheroes and villains and try to find out about each other's weaknesses.
* Highlander: You are immortal swordsmen (and women) trying to lop off each other's heads.
* Senators: You are Roman senators backstabbing each other. Who will be the emperor of Rome?

All of those themes sounds good to me. I'm particulary interested in the "Superhumans" and "Rome" settings. (and I'm totaly reserving a place in the next game if possible.)

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-10-11, 09:15 AM

Thoughts?

Menzoberranzan.
And if you do run anothe, pre-in me please?
Or at least make it bigger.

banjo1985
2009-10-11, 09:22 AM
I still liiive! :smalltongue:

Kensen
2009-10-11, 09:55 AM
Menzoberranzan is also my favorite, but I thought I'd give you a few options. :smallwink:

Death Note would also be pretty cool I think, but it would not be plausible for there to be so many notebooks around.

Kensen
2009-10-11, 11:08 AM
A solution to the problem of low in-thread activity might also be being able to roleplay your character. Within the current rules it's next to impossible, because you cannot mention your character's name and you have to be really careful about giving away information about your character.

However, if the characters' names were not secret, there would not be such a problem. For example, if the theme of the game is Superhumans, each of the characters would have a secret weakness that other characters are trying to discover.

If you wanted, you could reveal in your narrative who you're trying to kill next, but the actual target would be sent in a PM (much like what Jontom suggested).

What do you think?

Wizibirb
2009-10-11, 02:17 PM
Sure lets RP!
oh wait checks,
Thats right im dead :smallmad:
grumble grumble

Trixie
2009-10-11, 03:16 PM
Join the club :smallsigh:

smuchmuch
2009-10-11, 03:17 PM
Sure lets RP!
oh wait checks,
Thats right im dead
grumble grumble

I could be wrong but in the werewolf games, it's possible to roleplay , even dead or not part of the game, as long as you don't influence the game, so the same rule could apply here.

Freshmeat
2009-10-11, 07:45 PM
Superheroes sounds good. Something like Machiavellian Venice or steampunky London would be interesting too.

Incidentally, Kensen - would you mind if I made a semi-loosely based variant of this game and threw some Ready Aim Fire, Ultimate Kaos and Paranoia into the mix?

Kensen
2009-10-12, 12:51 AM
Freshmeat: No, I most certainly would not mind. Spin-offs, variants and sister games are most welcome.

My comment on rp was about the upcoming game, not this one. :smalltongue:

I think the theme's going to be either Menzoberranzan or Superhumans. If you haven't voiced your opinion yet, please do so. :smallsmile:

Three players have sent me their actions.

Wizibirb
2009-10-12, 01:56 AM
Join the club :smallsigh:
:smallsigh:
Are you kidding I love this club its amazing!

just out of curiosity what gave me away as the little old woman who loved poison?
Just pm me what it was, because saying in thread would be a death wish. just saying :smalltongue:

Kensen
2009-10-12, 02:55 AM

Dead Assassins Society?

"Carpe diem!"

"O Captain! My Captain!"

Uhh on a second thought, let's not go there. :smalltongue:

Jontom Xire
2009-10-12, 02:59 AM
Go with superhumans. I have no idea what Menzobareersaererfdsdrdfxvsev is all about. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Aaahh, Paranoia. Not a hugely successful game, but one that continues to influence the boards even now, years later.

Also, I think I missed the post where the rules changed so everyone got two guesses. I think that's not such a good idea, especially in the end game.

Kensen
2009-10-12, 03:35 AM
It wasn't a rules change per se, just a special round to make things go faster.

Menzoberranzan is a fictional city-state in the Underdark of Faerūn (i.e. in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting). More info (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menzoberranzan).

Mordokai
2009-10-12, 06:44 AM
Menzoberranzan for me.

And I'm totally calling Drizzt Do'Urden as my character :smalltongue:

Murska
2009-10-12, 08:58 AM

just out of curiosity what gave me away as the little old woman who loved poison?
Just pm me what it was, because saying in thread would be a death wish. just saying :smalltongue:

I think it was mainly the very little-old-womany attitude and the bottles of poison I found in your apartment.

Wizibirb
2009-10-12, 12:44 PM
damn Alzheimer's I knew I forgot those bottles somewhere. :smallwink::smalltongue:

Kensen
2009-10-12, 04:18 PM
Hmm hmm hmm, one of the five hasn't sent me a PM yet, but I sent him a reminder about it. Round 5 ends in about 12 hours if I remember correctly. :smallsmile:

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-10-12, 09:53 PM
Menzoberranzan for me.

And I'm totally calling Drizzt Do'Urden as my character :smalltongue:

Darn you!

*arglhblargh10charactersgrumblegrumble*

Kensen
2009-10-13, 12:55 AM
Hehheh, I think Drizzit Dudden would get killed first. :smallbiggrin:

smuchmuch
2009-10-13, 01:31 AM
As he should. I have alway found a little ridiculous in the book how the combined force of thze whole Menzoberranzan couldn't birng down just one drow.

If we have to take somme already existing characters from the Menzoberranzan setting , I totaly claim Jaraxle.

Kensen
2009-10-13, 02:26 AM
Nah, I would rather see new, original characters in the Menzo game (same with Superhumans). That said, I'm not going to disallow Drizzt or other popular characters.

Kensen
2009-10-13, 05:05 AM
Round 5 ends and round 6 begins!

Roland got Magic Sam in his sniper rifle sights. "Rigging a car with explosives, huh?" He couldn't get a clear aim, though, for Sam was inside the car. Suddenly, he heard noises coming from the direction of the fire escape. "Gah, no time to hesitate." Roland aimed at the fuel tank of the car and squeezed the trigger. A split second later, the car exploded, killing Sam.

"So it really works..."

Doran, whose car Sam had been tampering with, was running up the fire escape with his composite bow in hand. He heard the explosion and saw that it was his car that had been blown up. "Crap... well I'm lucky I wasn't in the car..." He continued running up towards the rooftop, hoping to get a clear shot at Roland.

Roland was hiding behind a ventilation unit, waiting for Doran to come into view so he could shoot him. A second later he spotted Doran... but something was wrong with him. Doran's gait was uneven and erratic, and his bow had fallen from his hands. Doran fell over, and Roland noticed what was wrong with Doran: he had been sporked in the back!

Meanwhile, George Stark made it to the rooftop as well, and spotted Doran's dead body. He sought cover, knowing that Roland Ratzenberg and Philander Kitchingham were near...

hits and misses:

Doran: Roland Ratzenberg is Murska (miss!)
George: Roland Ratzenberg is Murska (miss!)
Roland: Sam Bennet is smuchmuch (HIT!)
Sam: Doran Nightingale is Banjo1985 (miss!)
Philander: Doran Nightingale is Oddity (HIT!)

remaining players and assassins:

banjo1985
Irbis
Murska

George Stark (no kills)
Philander Kitchingham (3 kills)
Roland Ratzenberg (3 kills)

Oh yes, this one will be the last round (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1qcEYwRMIM&feature=related)! :smallbiggrin:

smuchmuch
2009-10-13, 08:08 AM
Awww. You didn't even let me kill the bookworm as a collateral damage before I died like I asked. You're no fun.

If you want to know it was that post:

I shall be in! let it be known your death's shall be slow and painful!
For somme reason that just screamed at me: "Sophisticated killing method".

Trixie
2009-10-13, 11:00 AM
At least you got to use it, my beautiful way of killing never got to the screen :smallfrown:

smuchmuch
2009-10-13, 12:34 PM
At least you got to use it, my beautiful way of killing never got to the screen :smallfrown:

What was it ? Just out of curiosity.

(In fact if the players are okay with it, once the game is finished, maybe the narrator could post the recruitement Pms ? Just to see what everyone wrote as fluff with their alias.)

Kensen
2009-10-13, 12:51 PM
I deleted the PMs. :smalleek: I have the relevant info in a file, but it doesn't include all the details.

Trixie
2009-10-13, 01:00 PM
Well, I was hoping to use it (upadated) in the second edition...

Oh, well, I have nothing against your proposal. After all, that would be a bit too strong clue to my character :smalltongue:

Trixie
2009-10-13, 01:16 PM
Huh. I think it was something like: "He fashions (out of fresh meat of the victim) a figurine of winged, cowardly demon with two knives, banjo and green eye, who looks like he was using a trick to flee from the odd, bored-looking insane snow leopard munching on books" :smalltongue:

Bonus point to anyone who can find 13 names in that description :smallamused:

Kensen
2009-10-13, 02:20 PM
Hmm so, since Menzoberranzan and Superhumans were the most popular choices for the second game, I think I'll first run a Menzoberranzan game, and if there's still interest for a third game, it'll be about super heroes and villains.

I think I'll recruit 11 players this time. I'll post instructions for joining the game in a separate thread.

banjo1985
2009-10-13, 02:44 PM
I seriously don't believe I've survived until the last round :smalltongue:

I'll definitely be playing this again, no matter what happens, and I'll be a bit more on time with my actions too. :smallredface:

Oddity
2009-10-13, 10:50 PM
Weell. Can't say I didn't suspect that. My spreadsheet told me Doran could be one of two people. Me and smuchie. All other alias' had at least 3 possibilities :smalleek:

Kensen
2009-10-14, 03:46 AM
I just posted the recruitment thread for CoA II: Menzoberranzan. It'll probably take a day or two for it to appear on the thread list.

1 slot is reserved for the winner of the first game.
5 slots are reserved for new players if there are that many new players.
The rest of the players are chosen on a first come first served basis.

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-10-14, 07:01 PM
I am a new player! Is my spot reserved?

Kensen
2009-10-15, 01:06 AM
Round 6 ends in 4 hours! Who will win the first Circle of Assassins? :smallbiggrin:

Shadowhisper: Well, alright you're in. You've already PM'd me about it and expressed interest in this thread on a number of occasions, so yes, you've deserved a spot in the game. :smallsmile:

Recruitment for CoA II: Menzoberranzan begins as soon as the mods have checked out the thread...

Zar Peter
2009-10-15, 02:00 AM
Round 6 ends in 4 hours! Who will win the first Circle of Assassins? :smallbiggrin:

Shadowhisper: Well, alright you're in. You've already PM'd me about it and expressed interest in this thread on a number of occasions, so yes, you've deserved a spot in the game. :smallsmile:

Recruitment for CoA II: Menzoberranzan begins as soon as the mods have checked out the thread...

As Alarra wrote in the WW Central thread: For faster Mod acknowledging post in WW Central that your thread is sent.

Kensen
2009-10-15, 02:26 AM
Well, it's not a WW game so I'm not sure if that's ok. But I sent the mods a PM with a request to have a look at the thread.

Kensen
2009-10-15, 06:01 AM
Roland kept his eyes peeled for any movement on the rooftop. He heard someone moving behind large plantpots and aimed the rifle at the direction of the sound. Holding his breath, he squeezed the trigger. One of the plantpots shattered, sending plant parts and dirt flying around.

_/ _/ _/

Philander winced. A bullet had hit him in the side and he was bleeding copiously from the wound. He tried to stay still, hoping that Roland thought he was dead.

_/ _/ _/

Roland kept his aim steady, ready to shoot again if he noticed any movement. He heard a sound from behind his back and quickly turned around. George Stark had managed to sneak behind him and was just about to attack. Roland had no time to fire his sniper rifle at him, so he tried to hit George in the face with the butt of the rifle instead. George grabbed Roland's wrist and twisted. The rifle fell from his hands, but George also had to drop his own weapon.

_/ _/ _/

Philander reached inside his jacket and pulled another spork from the bandolier across his chest. "It's not over yet..."

_/ _/ _/

George had gained the upper hand; he was on top of Roland, strangling him with both hands. Philander crawled closer to the two struggling men, too weak to stand up. Roland hit George repeatedly in the chest and sides with his fists, but his strength was waning. After minutes of intense struggle, Roland's body finally went limp; he was dead.

George got up. "So it's just you and me, Philander. Look at yourself, you look like a mess! That gotta hurt!"

Philander said nothing. He coughed blood and crawled closer to George.

"It's over, Phil. I won."

Philander sent the spork in his hand flying with a flick of his wrist. The spork caught George in the groin and he doubled over, wailing in pain.

That gotta hurt.

"You bastard!"

Philander said nothing. He pulled yet another spork from the bandolier and threw it at George. The spork pierced his eyeball. George fell to his knees, screaming in pain.

Patienly, Philander crawled closer. He pulled another spork from the bandolier and sank it in George's heart, killing him.

So, I won? I won! Philander thought.

"Not so fast, Philander," a dark-robed figure standing next to him said. Philander looked up to the person and realized that the voice belonged to a skeletal figure dressed in a dark robe and carrying a huge, silvery spork.

"See that bright light over there?"

So, the first CoA game is over! The last three assassins managed to kill each other, so there is no winner! :smallbiggrin: Better luck next time!

banjo1985
2009-10-15, 06:10 AM
Welll....bugger. From that it seems Murska killed me, I killed Irbis, and Irbis killed Murska?

If so, that's it Mr Green-Eye, now it gets serious. I won't believe you next time you play the friend card. :smalltongue:

Good game guys, glad you killed more than I did.

Kensen
2009-10-15, 06:20 AM
Welll....bugger. From that it seems Murska killed me, I killed Irbis, and Irbis killed Murska?

Yes, that's what happened. You know, there's a saying about trusting Murska. :smallwink:

Murska
2009-10-15, 07:04 AM
Hey, I was hoping Irbis'd buy the 'I'm George Stark' card. It didn't work, but oh well. :smalltongue:

EDIT: I count this as a win, however. For I killed both Fleeing Coward and Trixie. :smallbiggrin:

Trixie
2009-10-15, 02:55 PM
This... setback will be short lived indeed, I'm afraid :smallamused:

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-10-15, 08:49 PM
Roland kept his eyes peeled for any movement on the rooftop. He heard someone moving behind large plantpots and aimed the rifle at the direction of the sound. Holding his breath, he squeezed the trigger. One of the plantpots shattered, sending plant parts and dirt flying around.

_/ _/ _/

Philander winced. A bullet had hit him in the side and he was bleeding copiously from the wound. He tried to stay still, hoping that Roland thought he was dead.

_/ _/ _/

Roland kept his aim steady, ready to shoot again if he noticed any movement. He heard a sound from behind his back and quickly turned around. George Stark had managed to sneak behind him and was just about to attack. Roland had no time to fire his sniper rifle at him, so he tried to hit George in the face with the butt of the rifle instead. George grabbed Roland's wrist and twisted. The rifle fell from his hands, but George also had to drop his own weapon.

_/ _/ _/

Philander reached inside his jacket and pulled another spork from the bandolier across his chest. "It's not over yet..."

_/ _/ _/

George had gained the upper hand; he was on top of Roland, strangling him with both hands. Philander crawled closer to the two struggling men, too weak to stand up. Roland hit George repeatedly in the chest and sides with his fists, but his strength was waning. After minutes of intense struggle, Roland's body finally went limp; he was dead.

George got up. "So it's just you and me, Philander. Look at yourself, you look like a mess! That gotta hurt!"

Philander said nothing. He coughed blood and crawled closer to George.

"It's over, Phil. I won."

Philander sent the spork in his hand flying with a flick of his wrist. The spork caught George in the groin and he doubled over, wailing in pain.

That gotta hurt.

"You bastard!"

Philander said nothing. He pulled yet another spork from the bandolier and threw it at George. The spork pierced his eyeball. George fell to his knees, screaming in pain.

Patienly, Philander crawled closer. He pulled another spork from the bandolier and sank it in George's heart, killing him.

So, I won? I won! Philander thought.

"Not so fast, Philander," a dark-robed figure standing next to him said. Philander looked up to the person and realized that the voice belonged to a skeletal figure dressed in a dark robe and carrying a huge, silvery spork.

"See that bright light over there?"

So, the first CoA game is over! The last three assassins managed to kill each other, so there is no winner! :smallbiggrin: Better luck next time!

Who's who?

billtodamax
2009-10-16, 04:08 PM
Who was Philander? They get a high-five! *fives*

Also, so does George Stark, cause this was the only round he made a kill in. *fives*

Murska
2009-10-17, 05:12 PM
I was Philander Kitchingham, which is the steampunk name of one of my friends. *hi5*

George Stark was Banjo1985.