PDA

View Full Version : Cleric PrC Help

The White Knight
2009-09-17, 07:09 AM
I'm playing a melee cleric (Cleric 4/Prestige Paladin 3/Ordained Champion 3) in a campaign, and I'm looking for 10 levels with which to finish my pre-epic career. Due to Ordained Champion's smite ability I'm looking to preserve as much undead turning levels as possible, and due to my two lost caster levels I would like to preserve as many caster levels as possible.

My first inclination was to just take 10 straight levels of Cleric -- I'd end with 9th level spells, 4 iterative attacks, and full turn undead progression (Sacred Exorcist would have similar results as well). However, in the last session, I was just granted an axe that exudes what is basically a permanent Divine Power effect (!?), making BaB a non-issue. This opens up low-BaB caster-oriented PrC's for consideration, which I am somewhat less familiar with.

So, playground, if you have any fantastic ideas, please do tell.

PS: For feats, I'm currently working with the following:
Power Attack
Divine Spell Power
Divine Might
Awesome Smite
Holy Warrior

And a smattering of other feats, either as bonuses from class or gear, or wonky house rulings (my DM likes to hand out power and money haphazardly...):
Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Improved Disarm
Domain Spontaneity (Strength)
Weapon Focus (Battleaxe)
Diehard
Endurance
Leadership (this one is new, so no cohort just yet)

Eldariel
2009-09-17, 07:39 AM
Contemplative is good, though misses out on Turn Undead. Still, if looking for a 10-level PrC for Clerics from 11 on, it's a solid pick. Really, Turn Undead isn't granted by nearly all of the Cleric PrCs; Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) crosscheck reveals the following full casting PrCs that stack for Turn Undead:

Sacred Exorcist
Radiant Servant (of Pelor)
Paragnostic Apostle (5 levels only)

...and that's about it. The following lose a level of casting:
Eye of Horus-Re [PGtF]
Knight of the Raven [Expedition to Castle Ravenloft]
Ordained Champion (well, finishing it)
Master of Radiance [Libris Mortis; 5 levels]

Sophismata
2009-09-17, 07:56 AM
I'd suggest Ruby Knight Windicator, but it loses two caster levels and you may not be able to make the prereqs in time.

On the plus side, you could probably aim for the first 7 levels only, which gives you some (more) nice things to do with your Turn Undead attempts.

You'd need either two feats, another caster level lost to Crusader, or (arguably) a feat and a magic item.

You'd get 7th level manoeuvres, and 8th level spells. It's also a lot of fun.

Godskook
2009-09-17, 08:05 AM
Before you plan your build around a magic item that your DM gave you, I've got to ask. How break/steal/disjunction/etc-happy is your DM?

The White Knight
2009-09-17, 08:36 AM
Before you plan your build around a magic item that your DM gave you, I've got to ask. How break/steal/disjunction/etc-happy is your DM?

He wrecked my adamantine full plate and battleaxe once with a custom rust monster/monstrous scorpion hybrid he threw at us once, so he's not entirely against the practice. That said, this is part of some sort of equipment set that he seems to have spent a great deal of effort on, so I highly suspect he'd be less likely to trash this one. He also said it was given to me based on how "behind the curve" my character was (he's allowed a lot of broken stuff for some other players that I've refused to mercilessly break so far, and I missed a few sessions that ended up putting me way behind the wealth level of the rest of the party), so as long as I don't abuse it to any extreme levels, I'll probably be able to hang on to it.

I'd suggest Ruby Knight Windicator, but it loses two caster levels and you may not be able to make the prereqs in time.

On the plus side, you could probably aim for the first 7 levels only, which gives you some (more) nice things to do with your Turn Undead attempts.

You'd need either two feats, another caster level lost to Crusader, or (arguably) a feat and a magic item.

You'd get 7th level manoeuvres, and 8th level spells. It's also a lot of fun.

This was one of my first thoughts earlier on, except that my DM is unfortunately largely unfamiliar with ToB. Great suggestion, though; there's always a chance that it's not entirely out of the question.

EDIT:

Paragnostic Apostle

Wow, how'd I miss out on that little gem? Strongly considering this one. My DM's pretty lax on a lot of the RP-based prerequisites for PrC's.

Keld Denar
2009-09-17, 10:42 AM
No Fist of Raz? Thats a class with a goodly amount of smite versatility. Loses 1 CL, but vastly augements all your smitatude. Since technically a smite is a smite is a smite, all of its class features would apply to your PrPally smites and OC smites as well, along with your Awesome Smites.

The White Knight
2009-09-17, 12:15 PM
Since technically a smite is a smite is a smite, all of its class features would apply to your PrPally smites and OC smites as well, along with your Awesome Smites.

Sadly, the power of OC Smites are specifically based on your effective Turn Undead level, which is the only reason I mentioned wanting to preserve turning progression. It otherwise functions like the paladin's smite evil ability, but does not stack with any other sort of smiting progression.