PDA

View Full Version : Celebrities as DMs & Players (Non-Political Edition!)

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-09-17, 11:17 PM
OK, here's the background on this: A few weeks ago, someone started a thread titled "Celebrities as DMs & Players." A harmless enough sounding topic, except the OP wasn't interested in discussing either Celebs who play or Celebs who DM. What he wanted to do was slam on two of Fox's political commetrians, specifically Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck. So of course, Roland St. Jude came along and locked the thread.

But I like the idea of discussing which celebs might might make good players and DMs, and which ones might not. Without regard to their political leanings or opinions! So without further ado:

Billy West: Either DM or player. Billy has such a broad range of voices he seems like he might be a natural as a DM. You instantly know when you are talking to the Hobgoblin King, and when you are talking to Little Timmy. Or either of their moms!

Vin Diesel: Well known D&D geek, he seems like a guy who would play and host very fast action games. Lots of over the top violence, lots of interesting, if overly testosterone, characters.

Anybody else?

FoE
2009-09-17, 11:20 PM
Diesel: Well known D&D geek, he seems like a guy who would play and host very fast action games. Lots of over the top violence, lots of interesting, if overly testosterone, characters.

Actually, if you watch an interview with him on the topic, it's clear that he liked the roleplaying. Actors, you know?

Kevin Smith would have an extremely raunchy campaign with lots of discussion about sex but little actual sex. If you ever had questions concerning troll genitalia, you would get your answer here.

On a related topic, producer Jon Peters would have a lot of giant spiders. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk) Fiercest killers in the insect kingdom, you know.

Mando Knight
2009-09-17, 11:40 PM
William... Shatner. Would be a very interesting DM, with... custom grappling rules that he. Uses all the time. Even when playing, he will... tend towards grappling builds with. High Charisma. Unless, of course, he is a shaman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyUNDbo2KMU), a conduit... of the forces of nature.

Dragonus45
2009-09-18, 07:55 AM
If William Shatner could make grappling make sense than i would let. Him talk. All he could. Ever want.

Leonard Nemoy: DM Has good directing experience and knows how to make a story work.

Muz
2009-09-18, 10:20 AM
I'm pretty sure Roger Moore played D&D. (Or at least I remember someone telling me about a convention game he DMed that involved a paladin climbing up the back of a demon and stabbing it through the neck. I can't vouch for the validity of the story, though.) :smallsmile:

FoE
2009-09-18, 11:36 AM
Leonard Nimoy: DM Has good directing experience and knows how to make a story work.

But he would hate being DM and eventually deny eve having played it.

Stephen Colbert would make a terrific paladin. :smalltongue:

Dragonus45
2009-09-18, 11:58 AM
John Stewart could do a good bard.

Willis888
2009-09-18, 02:12 PM
Borat as a low level rogue in a campaign with Capitan Jack Sparrow (mid-level fighter/rogue?), with Robin Williams as DM. Christopher Walken plays the Pale Master antagonist.

scsimodem
2009-09-18, 04:24 PM
I'd take Nathan Fillion any day of the week on either side of the screen. Now, most of the time, I take care to separate characters from the actors who play them, but Nathan Fillion is so good with his characters that he sometimes helps write the script (there are parts of the script for the movie Serenity where Joss Whedon couldn't think of a good line and just told Fillion to 'say something Mal would say.')

Rhydeble
2009-09-18, 04:28 PM
Michael bay as DM

there will be explosions.....IN AMERICA

Otogi
2009-09-18, 04:58 PM
Whil Wheaton would also make a great paladin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4pod/20090918). :smallwink:

Soras Teva Gee
2009-09-18, 07:02 PM
Quentin Taratino: DM. Begin play at Lvl 10 then enter an extended series of interspersed flashbacks of you playing at level 4, 6, and 1. Every combat and dungeon will be taken from obscure 3rd party splatbooks you've never read and include liberal flavor descriptions of the intricate violence.

Tharivol123
2009-09-18, 07:07 PM
Peter Jackson as a DM could be a fun experience. So would George Lucas, thirty years ago at least.

Golden-Esque
2009-09-18, 07:24 PM
I'm sure someone else has said it, but I think that Kayne West would make a real good Wizard.

Pat: "I use the Radiant Charge maneuver on the kolbod . . ."
Kayne: "Now Patrick, I know you're a real good Paladin, and I'mma let you finish your maneuver, but I'm gonna cast Finger of Death on the kolbod first."

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-09-18, 07:28 PM
Billy West: Either DM or player. Billy has such a broad range of voices he seems like he might be a natural as a DM. You instantly know when you are talking to the Hobgoblin King, and when you are talking to Little Timmy. Or either of their moms!
Been reading Darths and Droids (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0307.html) lately? :smallbiggrin:

I'd love to see Orlando Bloom as a player, in another group. "The red sun rises...I roll an Elven Premonition check. What does it tell me?"

And I don't know if fictional characters count, but The Joker as DM, and Batman as PC. Using 3.5 rules.

lisiecki
2009-09-18, 07:35 PM
Natalie Tran has the short attention span that I need in a DM.

Of corse, she would be afraid of the giant spiders in her own game

dmmaus
2009-09-18, 08:22 PM
I'm pretty sure Roger Moore played D&D. (Or at least I remember someone telling me about a convention game he DMed that involved a paladin climbing up the back of a demon and stabbing it through the neck. I can't vouch for the validity of the story, though.)
They were probably referring to this Roger Moore (http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showcreator&creatorid=411), not the actor. At least, I don't think they're the same person.

Kumo
2009-09-18, 08:31 PM
Placing Glenn Beck and Jay Leno as characters in the same party.

I'm not saying this is a good idea. But i think it'd be funny.

Setra
2009-09-18, 08:37 PM
But he would hate being DM and eventually deny eve having played it.

Stephen Colbert would make a terrific paladin. :smalltongue:
For some reason Stephen Colbert strikes me as a Rules Lawyer.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-09-18, 09:02 PM
Been reading Darths and Droids (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0307.html) lately? :smallbiggrin:

YEP! It reminded me of the locked thread, so I got permission from RSJ to start the thread again, but without the attacks on the individuals.

I actually think Glenn Beck would make one heck of a DM. I never listened to Talk Radio, but one day when I was living in Hawaii, one of my favorite rock&roll stations switched to ukulele music. So I started scanning the dials, and came across Glenn talking about himself as a kid sneaking out of bed to listen to the World Series game, and getting caught by his dad. Real heartwarming stuff, but ultimately just an April Fool's joke by Glenn. The man is a gifted oral storyteller!

On the flip side of the political coin, I think Randi Rhodes would also make for a good DM, but I think her games would be more "gritty" in nature. I don't know about the rest, but if you think some political personage would make a good player or DM, just remember to leave their politics out while telling about your perceptions of their gaming styles.

Leliel
2009-09-18, 09:11 PM
Must...Resist...Inevitable...Chuck Norris...Joke...

Screw it.

Chuck Norris: DM, PC, Munchkin, RPer....Whatever he is, he's awesome at it.

hanzo66
2009-09-18, 10:11 PM
William... Shatner. Would be a very interesting DM, with... custom grappling rules that he. Uses all the time. Even when playing, he will... tend towards grappling builds with. High Charisma. Unless, of course, he is a shaman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyUNDbo2KMU), a conduit... of the forces of nature.

I'd assume that he'd make a Gary Stu GMPC of some sorts.

I do know that apparently both Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are actually D&D players of some sorts. Stephen would make the ideal Paladin (he's got Captain America's shield and Anduril, after all).

pita
2009-09-19, 03:55 AM
I heard that Robin Williams plays GURPS. I'd love to have him as my DM, with Vin Diesel and Kate Beckinsale (Also, I understand, a complete nerd. I know she wrote an award winning short story) as other players.

Ganurath
2009-09-19, 04:02 AM
Harrison Ford, playing a Rogue.

Kulture
2009-09-19, 09:34 AM
Vincent Price as the dirge singer.
Kane Hodder (longest running Jason Voorhees) as the Ghost faced killer.
Arnie as the Barbarian (I liked the conan films, what can I say?).
Tiny Tim (the horrendous singer) as the nightmare spinner/bard.
The late MJ as a Necropolitan bard/necromancer.
Vladamir Putin as the Dread commando.
Jason Statham as (The) Monk.

Mercenary Pen
2009-09-19, 09:54 AM
Alan Tudyk DMing a humourous campaign with dinosaurs.

JabberwockySupafly
2009-09-19, 10:16 AM
Can't believe this hasn't been said yet, considering what forum we're on but... Rich Burlew as DM... anyone?

Haven
2009-09-19, 10:45 AM
Quentin Taratino: DM. Begin play at Lvl 10 then enter an extended series of interspersed flashbacks of you playing at level 4, 6, and 1. Every combat and dungeon will be taken from obscure 3rd party splatbooks you've never read and include liberal flavor descriptions of the intricate violence.

I chuckled. Spot on.

FoE
2009-09-20, 01:21 AM
For some reason Stephen Colbert strikes me as a Rules Lawyer.

And therefore, a great Paladin. :smalltongue:

George Lucas would be a great first-time DM. His opening campaign would be fantastic. However, his follow-up campaign, which he promised would build on the first one, would have a lot of inconsistencies with his previous effort and delve into some areas that weren't really his strong suit, like slapstick comedy and romance. And phew! the man just would not know to use a good DMPC. (Jar Jar Binks is totally the annoying DMPC of George Lucas' Star Wars campaign.)

Soras Teva Gee
2009-09-20, 12:44 PM
George Lucas would be a great first-time DM. His opening campaign would be fantastic. However, his follow-up campaign, which he promised would build on the first one, would have a lot of inconsistencies with his previous effort and delve into some areas that weren't really his strong suit, like slapstick comedy and romance. And phew! the man just would not know to use a good DMPC. (Jar Jar Binks is totally the annoying DMPC of George Lucas' Star Wars campaign.)

You're doing it wrong....

DM Lucas: The quality of play is inversely proportional to the amount of prep time put in. When the DM is too busy then shows up with a blank notebook, screen, and a couple of book marks in the MM while, the quality of play rises. When the DM finally finds the time to "do it right" well.... :smallbiggrin:

Night Monkey
2009-09-25, 01:27 PM
You're doing it wrong....

DM Lucas: The quality of play is inversely proportional to the amount of prep time put in. When the DM is too busy then shows up with a blank notebook, screen, and a couple of book marks in the MM while, the quality of play rises. When the DM finally finds the time to "do it right" well.... :smallbiggrin:

Is it wrong that I DM -exactly- like this?

Simon Pegg as DM: Funniest game ever, probably with zombies/mean spirited supermarket employees. Animated trolleys perhaps?

Bill Bailey as player: Bard/Druid combo (Fochluchan Lyrist?). Would spend most of game befriending woodland creatures and using Perform (Comedy) to inspire party with Bardic abilities, generally very chilled out.

Matt Bellamy as DM: Plot would involve PCs uncovering an elaborate government conspiracy, before leading the populace in a rebellion against the corrupt leadership. May be set in space.