PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Restoring ki points

Domigorgon
2009-09-18, 02:37 PM
Is it possible to restore ki points in ways other than through resting?

I'm talking a lvl 10 ninja here, whose ki powers are quite useful, but fast depleted, and he's facing a major battle with little chance of retreat.

So, are there any potions or cleric spells or whatnot?

Zaq
2009-09-18, 02:58 PM
Best that I can think of is the Fortifying Bedroll (which I'm about 85% sure is in Complete Mage.) Once every two days, spending an hour in it is as good as spending eight hours sleeping. Yes, including for spell prep. I see no reason why it wouldn't also refresh ki.

Other than that, I can't think of anything. The ninja class really didn't get a lot of love.

Person_Man
2009-09-18, 03:26 PM
Not that I'm aware of, and I know most of the odd tricks out there.

Also, by that ECL a Rogue would have access to cheap magic items that duplicate all of the Ninja's special abilities, plus UMD, a Special ability, and the easier to trigger Sneak Attack. You may wish to consider another build.

quick_comment
2009-09-18, 03:36 PM
Get your GM to let you take a feat similar to font of inspiration for factotums, but with ki instead of inspiration.

Frosty
2009-09-18, 03:39 PM
Hoow about we change Ki points to refresh after 5 minutes of rest?

Person_Man
2009-09-18, 03:52 PM

I'd allow it. Though it's basically giving the Ninja Swift Action Invisibility every turn of every combat. That's not particularly unbalanced, it's just annoying, as then the DM needs to throw in a bunch of enemies with See Invisibility or Blindsense (or whatever) and/or a bunch of area of effect abilities with high Save DCs, so that the Ninja isn't immune to being attacked every combat. It's the same as a Rogue who abuses his Wand of Greater Invisibility, or a Batman Wizard who can't be touched.

quick_comment
2009-09-18, 03:53 PM
I'd allow it. Though it's basically giving the Ninja Swift Action Invisibility every turn of every combat. That's not particularly unbalanced, it's just annoying, as then the DM needs to throw in a bunch of enemies with See Invisibility or Blindsense (or whatever) and/or a bunch of area of effect abilities with high Save DCs, so that the Ninja isn't immune to being attacked every combat. It's the same as a Rogue who abuses his Wand of Greater Invisibility, or a Batman Wizard who can't be touched.

There is a shadow hand boost that does the same thing, usable every other round. Having it as the main feature of a class usable twice as often is fine.

Mongoose87
2009-09-18, 04:00 PM

You know, what, let's allow the a few more abilities, but make them only prepare and handful, and they can refresh them with a standard action, but spend five minutes to change the prepared ones. And let's give them Wis to AC.

Glimbur
2009-09-18, 05:24 PM
You know, what, let's allow the a few more abilities, but make them only prepare and handful, and they can refresh them with a standard action, but spend five minutes to change the prepared ones. And let's give them Wis to AC.

Ninja is kind of a restrictive name though, some of the members of the class might be classier. Let's play off of the Wis focus... sages need wisdom. These guys will probably use swords. Call it the Swordsage?

FMArthur
2009-09-18, 09:18 PM
Ninjas have Wis to AC already. It's not like it's the worst possible class out there, guys. A thrower/archer makes no distinction between Sneak Attack and Sudden Strike, Expanded Ki Pool can give you more uses and eventually sustain you all day, and yeah, a Swordsage dip or Martial Study can give you some cool Shadow Hand stuff that augments (but can't really replace) the ninja class.

KellKheraptis
2009-09-18, 09:29 PM
Ninjas have Wis to AC already. It's not like it's the worst possible class out there, guys. A thrower/archer makes no distinction between Sneak Attack and Sudden Strike, Expanded Ki Pool can give you more uses and eventually sustain you all day, and yeah, a Swordsage dip or Martial Study can give you some cool Shadow Hand stuff that augments (but can't really replace) the ninja class.

An archer with Sudden Strike and a flanker is looking at -4 to hit. An archer with Sneak Attack and Precise Shot is looking at a boatload of d6's to roll with the arrow ;) As for Swordsage ninja, two words that make the Assassin obsolete as well : Feral Deathblow.

FMArthur
2009-09-18, 09:34 PM
You cannot flank at range. Sneak Attack and Sudden Strike are identical other than SA triggering on a flank.

KellKheraptis
2009-09-18, 09:37 PM
You cannot flank at range. Sneak Attack and Sudden Strike are identical other than SA triggering on a flank.

Read that post again ;) I said "and a flanker." The condition "flanked" functions independently of attacking at range. You aren't the one causing the condition, but you can take advantage of it.

FMArthur
2009-09-18, 09:41 PM
Read that post again ;) I said "and a flanker." The condition "flanked" functions independently of attacking at range. You aren't the one causing the condition, but you can take advantage of it.

You really can't. :smallconfused:

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-18, 10:14 PM
You really can't. :smallconfused:

Isn't there a ranger ACF that lets you flank by hitting someone? I think that's the only "ranged flank" I've ever heard of.

FMArthur
2009-09-18, 10:17 PM
The one from PHII? It only lets you count as flanking for your allies' sake and not yours. :smallfrown:

olelia
2009-09-19, 06:27 PM
Clarion Commander tactile feat from TOB lets you treat an opponent as flanked once you hit them with a melee attack. Which...makes the game mechanics cry.