PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Another Take on The Ogre Mage (P.E.A.C.H.)

Jergmo
2009-09-19, 04:15 PM
I came up with these changes via a comparison to an Efreeti (also CR 8) and reading more into the folklore of Oni. Please let me know what you think.

Ogre Mage
Size/Type: Large Outsider (Native)
Hit Dice: 7d8+21 (52 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 40 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 19 (-1 size, +6 natural, +4 masterwork chain shirt)
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+16
Attack: Large masterwork morningstar +12 melee (2d6+5) or slam +12 melee (1d4+5)
Full Attack: Large masterwork morningstar +12 melee (2d6+5) or 2 slams +12 melee (1d4+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Change shape, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, regeneration 5, spell resistance 21, Immunity to cold or fire, vulnerability to cold or fire
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +7
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 17
Skills: Bluff +13, Concentration +13, Diplomacy +13, Intimidate +13, Knowledge (any two) +12, Listen +12, Sense Motive +12, Spellcraft +12, Spot +12
Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Initiative, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (scorching/chilling ray)
Environment: Cold or Warm Hills
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Usually lawful evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: —

Blue Ogre Magi have Cold abilities, and Red Ogre Magi have Fire abilities, respectively.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will—scorching/chilling ray (1 ray only); 3/day—charm person (DC 14), contagion (DC 17), invisibility; 1/day—cone of cold/fire (DC 18), gaseous form. Caster level 9th. The save DC's are Charisma-based.

sonofzeal
2009-09-19, 04:46 PM
More flavourful, and slightly better overall. Still really squishy, and can't do a whole lot after the one Cone of Whatever. Quicken Scorching/Chilling Ray helps a lot though. I'd give him some better armor, perhaps +1 Splint or Half-plate just for giggles?

Darcand
2009-09-20, 08:38 PM
I like to just take the standard oger mage, stack on an extra hit die, then trade his SLAs for casting as a sixth level sorcerer.

Jergmo
2009-09-20, 08:45 PM
I like to just take the standard oger mage, stack on an extra hit die, then trade his SLAs for casting as a sixth level sorcerer.

You know, I was considering something like that, but I wasn't sure if that would make it a higher CR. The Rakshasa has 7 HD and 7th level casting, and it's CR 10. I might make it more like that, though, I'm not sure.

boomwolf
2009-09-21, 04:08 AM
I rather take an ogre and give him caster levels, feels more natural then a "class in race"...

But your variation looks pretty good. the quicken casting of the ray allows it to do some work.

Naturally more useful with normal ogres around to shield him while he drops down some rays...but that's how casters should be anyways.

Shpadoinkle
2009-09-21, 04:42 AM
I rather take an ogre and give him caster levels, feels more natural then a "class in race"...

But your variation looks pretty good. the quicken casting of the ray allows it to do some work.

Naturally more useful with normal ogres around to shield him while he drops down some rays...but that's how casters should be anyways.

Ogre magi, as the OP mentioned, actually creatures from Asian folklore that were included in the Monster Manual and for some reason instead of listing them by thier real name, they got shoehorned in with normal ogres. "Ogre magi" really only have the "bigger than humans" part in common with normal ogres and this evidently makes them an offshoot species for some reason, according to the person who renamed them.