PDA

View Full Version : Hobgoblins, Kobolds, and Bears! HELL YES! [3.5]

Kuma Kode
2009-09-19, 11:07 PM
This is for the same campaign world project that the archer base class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125374) is for. However, these are some revamps of some monster races and a few custom that I would like your opinions on. They are largely fluffless because I don't have enough world info to start doing fully-fledge writeups, so currently just the stats are awaiting your critique. So get out your chaotic evil red pens :roach:.

Hobgoblin
Hobgoblins in Aether have the same general feel that the standard hobgoblins do, except that they are a world power and have their own empire. It bugged me that hobgoblins were arbitrarily meaningless in the world despite being as smart as humans, being innately more powerful, and being heavily Lawful, which would make them better at forming a complex society than humans!

So, I redid them for my world to be a player race.
Hobgoblin Racial Traits

+2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom. Hobgoblins are tough, but are focused and accustomed to taking orders.
Medium: As medium creatures, Hobgoblins have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.
Hobgoblin base land speed is 30 feet.
+3 racial bonus on saving throws against Fear.
+2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
+2 racial bonus on Pilot checks.
Weapon Familiarity: Hobgoblins may treat the bastard sword and spiked chain as martial weapons.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against Kobolds. Hobgoblins frequently meet these creatures in battle and have learned special tricks for fighting them.
Automatic Languages: Common and Hobgoblin.
Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass hobgoblin's fighter class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Kobold
Same deal with the hobgoblins. Just as smart as humans, lawfully aligned, but arbitrarily less advanced. Because I am sick of elves, kobolds stepped up and took the "ancient magical race" slot. They are related to dragons, after all. So I have a kobold kingdom, as well.
Kobold Racial Traits

-4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma. Kobolds are small and physically weak, but they're quick and possess mental faculties reminiscent of dragons.
Small: As small creatures, kobolds gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, and take a -4 penalty to grapple checks. They must use smaller weapons, however, and their lifting and carrying capacity is three-quarters that of a medium character.
Kobold base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision: Kobolds possess the ability to see in absolute darkness, out to a range of 60 feet.
+1 natural armor bonus.
-2 penalty to saves against fear: Kobolds are cautious and easily spooked.
Light Sensitivity: Kobolds are dazzled in bright sunlight or in the area of a daylight spell.
Slender Form: Kobolds are considered Tiny for purposes of skill or ability checks in which it would be beneficial to them (Acrobatics and Stealth, for instance).
+2 racial bonus on one Craft skill and one Knowledge skill (both chosen at character creation). Kobolds are the keepers of knowledge both arcane and mundane.
Automatic Languages: Common and Draconic.
Favored Class: Wizard. A multiclass kobold's wizard class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Saimiran
These creatures are small, monkey-like creatures who live in tribal societies, clinging to the vines hanging in the jungles of Aether. While they are just as smart as humans, their technological advancement has been stunted by their emphasis on familial ties and small tribes as opposed to larger, less connected groups.
Saimiran Racial Traits

-2 Strength, +2 Dexterity
Small: As small creatures, saimirans gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, and take a -4 penalty to grapple checks. They must use smaller weapons, however, and their lifting and carrying capacity is three-quarters that of a medium character.
Saimirans base land speed is 30 feet. They also have a climb speed equal to their base land speed.
Low-Light Vision: Saimirans can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
+4 racial bonus on Athletics and Acrobatics checks. Additionally, saimirans use their Dexterity modifier on Athletics checks instead of their Strength.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons.
+2 racial bonus on Knowledge (Nature) and Survival checks.
Saimirans can automatically gauge the vertical distance between two points. This ability is accurate to the nearest foot if the distance is 50 ft. or less, the nearest 5 ft. if the distance is between 50 ft. and 100 ft., or the nearest 10 ft. if the distance is greater than 100 ft.
Automatic Languages: Common and Saimiran.
Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass saimiran's rogue class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Yeenash
The Yeenash are completely custom. They are shapeshifters who have been charged with guardianship of the Tree of Life. They look rather normal in their human forms, but retain tails, wings, and other features that indicate that they are not, in fact, humans.

Making a shapeshifter race, two of which can fly, is tricky. Flying is a big bonus anyways, and it's even bigger in Aether. Soo... would anyone even play these creatures? Note that they are attached to classes that I have yet to submit to your eyes, so just try to judge them based on the race itself, since they don't have to take their shifter class.

Chiroptic Yeenash
They change into bats.
Chiroptic Yeenash Racial Traits

-4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -4 Constitution
Medium: As medium creatures, yeenash have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.
Yeenash base land speed is 30 feet. They can also fly at their base land speed, with average maneuverability.
Shapechanger: All yeenash have the shapechanger subtype.
Blindsense: A chiroptic yeenash automatically senses the presence and location of any creature within 10 feet. This ability does not grant precise information, and so the yeenash still suffers the normal penalties for attacking a creature he cannot see. Blindsense is based on hearing, and is lost if the yeenash is deafened.
+2 racial bonus to Perception checks. This bonus is lost if Blindsense is lost.
Low-Light Vision: Yeenash can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Alternate Form: A chiroptic yeenash may assume the form of a small bat as a standard action. This is a supernatural ability. Unless the character has levels of the appropriate yeenash class (Bat, in the case of a chiroptic yeenash), changing shape does not grant any abilities of a bat beyond what the yeenash already possesses. It does grant a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to impersonate a bat, however. Because this ability is of limited use, most chiroptic yeenash choose to take levels of bat in order to gain the full abilities of their secondary form. Shifting back to human form is a standard action, and occurs automatically if the yeenash is slain.
Automatic Languages: Common and Yeenash.
Favored Class: Bat. A multiclass yeenash's bat class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Ursine Yeenash
They change into bears.
Ursine Yeenash Racial Traits
+4 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
Medium: As medium creatures, yeenash have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.
Yeenash base land speed is 30 feet.
+2 racial bonus on Athletics and Survival checks.
Ursine yeenash have Endurance and Track as bonus feats.
Low-Light Vision: Yeenash can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Alternate Form: An ursine yeenash may assume the form of a medium-sized brown bear as a standard action. This is a supernatural ability. Unless the character has levels of the appropriate yeenash class (Bear, in the case of an ursine yeenash), changing shape does not grant any abilities of a bear beyond what the yeenash already possesses. It does grant a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to impersonate a bear, however. Because this ability is of limited use, most ursine yeenash choose to take levels of bear in order to gain the full abilities of their secondary form. Shifting back to human form is a standard action, and occurs automatically if the yeenash is slain.
Favored Class: Bear. A multiclass yeenash's bear class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Tigrine Yeenash
They change into tigers. I am not happy with the ability adjustments, but I didn't want to drop their wisdom. Suggestions?
Tigrine Yeenash Racial Traits
+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -4 Intelligence, -4 Charisma
Yeenash base land speed is 30 feet.
+2 racial bonus on Acrobatics and Stealth checks.
Tigrine yeenash have Run as a bonus feat.
Alternate Form: A tigrine yeenash may assume the form of a medium-sized tiger as a standard action. This is a supernatural ability. Unless the character has levels of the appropriate yeenash class (Tiger, in the case of a tigrine yeenash), changing shape does not grant any abilities of a tiger beyond what the yeenash already possesses. It does grant a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to impersonate a tiger, however. Because this ability is of limited use, most tigrine yeenash choose to take levels of tiger in order to gain the full abilities of their secondary form. Shifting back to human form is a standard action, and occurs automatically if the yeenash is slain.
Favored Class: Tiger. A multiclass yeenash's tiger class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Falcine Yeenash
They change into falcons, because eagles are cliché and I would never be caught making one.
(Note: They were originally eagles.)
Falcine Yeenash Racial Traits

-2 Strength, -2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence
Yeenash base land speed is 30 feet. Falcine yeenash can also fly at their base land speed, but with poor maneuverability.
+4 racial bonus on Perception checks involving sight.
Falcine yeenash gain Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.
Alternate Form: A falcine yeenash may assume the form of a medium-sized falcon as a standard action. This is a supernatural ability. Unless the character has levels of the appropriate yeenash class (Falcon, in the case of an falcine yeenash), changing shape does not grant any abilities of a falcon beyond what the yeenash already possesses. It does grant a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to impersonate a falcon, however. Because this ability is of limited use, most falcine yeenash choose to take levels of falcon in order to gain the full abilities of their secondary form. Shifting back to human form is a standard action, and occurs automatically if the yeenash is slain.
Favored Class: Falcon. A multiclass yeenash's falcon class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

EDIT: I thought of a much better name for this thread. :)

Kuma Kode
2009-09-20, 12:49 PM
Uh, are they that bad?

Froogleyboy
2009-09-20, 01:03 PM
I love the idea of Kobolds replacing elves (they replace gnomes in mine)

Admiral Squish
2009-09-20, 01:06 PM
I think they're very nice. I'd need to see the race-classes for the Yeenash, though.

Kuma Kode
2009-09-20, 01:26 PM
I love the idea of Kobolds replacing elves (they replace gnomes in mine)I'm rather sick of the "Everything you can do, we can do better" style that elves seem to have in most published campaigns. So I decided to try something different, and then I ran across kobolds.

I think they're very nice. I'd need to see the race-classes for the Yeenash, though. Yeah, I figured those were necessary. Pretty much they grant ability boosts, improved natural weapon attacks, and increased racial abilities when in animal form, as well as animal hit die and what comes with that (saves/BAB, etc).

Kuma Kode
2009-09-20, 05:48 PM
Saimirans were added to the beginning post. I must have forgotten them.

Kredine
2009-09-21, 05:25 AM
I like the idea with kobolds but the stats seem a bit much. You've pretty much traded each of the kobold features for a similar feature, as well as adding 2 extra +2 stats. Maybe another flaw in the species?

Kuma Kode
2009-09-21, 08:26 AM
Well, in a game where NPC challenge ratings are calculated as Class Level -1, the kobold uses Class Level -3. So I figured adding abilities wouldn't really hurt because they were severely underpowered.

My thinking was that two bonuses to mental ability scores offsets a strength loss, like the half orc. This leaves them with a total -2, which equals out the ability penalty. Then they have light sensitivity and a few other miscellaneous bonuses.

At least, that was my line of thinking. It may not work out that way. What kind of flaw might you suggest?

lightningcat
2009-09-21, 05:15 PM
+2 racial bonus on Pilot checks.

I just had the sudden vision of Hobgoblin Communists. But then they always did have that feel to me.

lord of kobolds
2009-09-21, 07:19 PM
Well, in a game where NPC challenge ratings are calculated as Class Level -1, the kobold uses Class Level -3. So I figured adding abilities wouldn't really hurt because they were severely underpowered.

My thinking was that two bonuses to mental ability scores offsets a strength loss, like the half orc. This leaves them with a total -2, which equals out the ability penalty. Then they have light sensitivity and a few other miscellaneous bonuses.

At least, that was my line of thinking. It may not work out that way. What kind of flaw might you suggest?

Perhaps a penalty to will saves against fear effects? Kobolds are many things, but courageous is not one of them. Also, the speed should probably stay at 30 ft per round, because we are fast.

Love to see kobolds other than the classic cannon fodder thing. Kobolds are devious and cunning, we aren't just going to charge at you.

Kuma Kode
2009-09-21, 07:26 PM
Hmmm. I like the penalty to saves against fear, that fits them quite well.