PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Assassin Class

RdMarquis
2009-09-20, 10:01 PM
The information on the Fourth Edition Assassin came out pretty recently, so I thought it would be cool to design one (It was kind of inevitable, considering my avatar :smallwink:). This is the first character I've created without my friends holding my hand, so I'd like to ask you guys if I did this right (and that the stats are okay for the Assassin).

Here is the character sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153289

Thanks in advance.

Gralamin
2009-09-20, 10:09 PM
The information on the Fourth Edition Assassin came out pretty recently, so I thought it would be cool to design one (It was kind of inevitable, considering my avatar :smallwink:). This is the first character I've created without my friends holding my hand, so I'd like to ask you guys if I did this right (and that the stats are okay for the Assassin).

Here is the character sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153289

Thanks in advance.

Theres another thread about them somewhere, and we're eagerly awaiting epic assassin in an hour.

Feat wise, Melee Training Dex is only a good idea if you know you will make A LOT of MBAs (Such as if you have a warlord in your group). It might be better, instead, to grab Focused Expertise [From Monk article] (Short Sword). Looks good though.

dragoonsgone
2009-09-20, 11:27 PM
I would change up stats a bit. I would go only 10 Wis unless you have it for RP reasons.

RdMarquis
2009-09-20, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll put the Wis points into Con, but the Int score is there for RP reasons. Also, what's the difference between focused expertise and weapon expertise?

warrl
2009-09-21, 01:18 AM
Also, what's the difference between focused expertise and weapon expertise?

It's pretty simple. Forget about Weapon Expertise and Implement Expertise. Never take either one. Focused Expertise is it.

All three powers give you +1 untyped bonus to hit (+2 at L15, +3 at L25) when wielding the specified item and using a power with the appropriate keyword.

Weapon Expertise: Weapon powers only. Useful for purely martial characters.

Implement Expertise: Implement powers only. Useful for purely non-martial characters. But heck, a wizard has a martial basic melee attack.

Focused Expertise: Both Weapon and Implement powers. Useful for everyone. Same prerequisites (namely, none). Same cost (one feat).

Focused Expertise explicitly, as an exception to the general rule on untyped bonuses, does NOT stack with either of the others.

There is NEVER a reason NOT to take Focused Expertise. If you ever might possibly decide to multiclass your character so that it has both Weapon and Implement powers, or it already has both, you have a good reason TO take Focused Expertise. But if you take Focused Expertise, the others are useless.

(I think they should revise this: dump the Arcane Implement Proficiency feat and replace it with Implement Proficiency: pick one weapon or implement, prerequisite is at least one class that grants an implement proficiency; make weapon proficiency a prerequisite for weapon expertise, weapon focus, or focused expertise with the same weapon; make implement proficiency a prerequisite for implement or focused expertise with the same object. Then there would be a reason for the three separate feats. And why should my fighter/ranger, with no implement powers or proficiencies, be able to become expert in the use of his sword as a magical implement?)

RdMarquis
2009-09-21, 01:31 AM
I see. This character will likely be using powers more than melee basic, so I probably will switch feats. Thanks for the advice.

warrl
2009-09-21, 01:52 AM
Actually, I did find a reason not to take Focused Expertise.

Weapon Expertise and Implement Expertise are in PHB2.

Focused Expertise is in Dragon #375. (It may be in PHB3, but that book isn't out yet.)

Some DMs won't allow stuff out of Dragon or are very selective in what they'll allow from it.

If your DM won't allow Focused Expertise, then you have a good reason not to take it. :frown:

Eirikr
2009-09-21, 02:16 AM
You forgot your racial bonuses to diplomacy and insight. They're listed in Race Features, but in your skill list, the bonus isn't there.