PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday [PEACH]

Belial_the_Leveler
2009-09-23, 02:24 AM
The following creature comes from taking a Tarrasque, using advancement rules and applying one template and appropriate "items" for an Epic BBEG. The extent of the homebrew is removing the spell-like abilities that didn't fit with the flavor and applying a few changes/additions to its special attacks. Changing the shape from an ugly lizard-thing to an uglier man-thing is purely flavor and has no effect on the stats. Tell me what you think;

Doomsday
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7103/doomsday3bc5572gq7.jpg
(phrenic, elite, advanced tarrasque with items)
Size/Type: Huge Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 54d10+1620 (1917 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 100 ft. (20 squares)
Armor Class: 75 (-2 size, +6 Dex, +35 natural or deflection, +16 armor, +9 shield), touch 43, flat-footed 70
Base Attack/Grapple: +54/+103
Attack: Slam +90 melee (4d8+50 +1 constitution damage, 15-20/2x, fort save DC 21 or die) OR Head Butt +88 melee (2d8+35 +1 constitution damage, 15-20/2x, fort save DC 21 or die) OR foot stomp +88 melee (4d6+35 +1 constitution damage, 15-20/2x, fort save DC 21 or die)
Full Attack: 2 slams +90/+90/+85/+80/+75 melee and Head Butt +86/+86 melee and Foot Stomp +86/+86 melee
Space/Reach: 10 ft./20 ft. (22 ft tall)
Special Attacks and Qualities: Trememdous Blows, Frightful Presence, Improved Grab, Pounce, Regeneration, Power Cosmic, immunity to fire, cold, vacuum, poison, disease, energy drain, and ability damage, regeneration 40, scent, spell resistance 64, DR 30/-
Saves: Fort +71, Ref +48, Will +59
Abilities: Str 69, Dex 24, Con 70, Int 12, Wis 22, Cha 21
Skills: Concentration 57 ranks, Spot 57 ranks, Listen 57 ranks, Jump 57 ranks, Balance 57 ranks, Climb 57 ranks, Swim 57 ranks.
Feats: Weapon Focus: Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Sunder, Toughness, Steadfast Determination, Combat Brute, Powerful Charge, Imroved Bull Rush, Shock Trooper, Leap Attack, Rapidstrike, Improved Rapidstrike.
Flaws: Bloodlust, Inattentive, Feeble Mind, Weak Will
Epic Feats: Epic Weapon Focus: Unarmed Strike, Shattering Strike, Damage Reduction 10x
Environment: Metropolis
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 25
Treasure: None. The DM should reward PCs with extraneous treasure as per a BBEG of this CR to make up for it.
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Doomsday is 22 ft tall but despite his size he weighs 550 tons (as if he was made of a very dense metal). He does not speak-whether he can is unknown.

Doomsday's natural weapons are treated as epic, chaotic and evil for all purposes.

Tremedous Blows (Ex)
Doomsday's slams threaten a critical on a roll of 18-20 (15-20 with improved critical) and on a critical threat Doomsday and a corporeal victim make opposed strength checks; if Doomsday wins he knocks the victim backwards a number of squares equal to twice the margin of victory plus twice his Power Attack penalty for that attack (if any). If the victim falls on any physical obstacles in its path, those obstacles break as if Doomsday has used Shattering Strike on them (make a separate check for each obstacle) and the victim takes an additional 5d6 damage per obstacle.

Frightful Presence (Su)
Doomsday can inspire terror by charging or attacking. Affected creatures must succeed on a DC 42 Will save or become shaken, remaining in that condition as long as they remain with 60 feet of Doomsday. The save DC is Charisma-based.
If Doomsday kills a creature, other living creatures witnessing the event must make a save vs his frightful presence or flee in terror for 1 minute.

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, Doomsday must hit a Huge or smaller opponent with its slam attack and forego the normal slam damage. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, Doomsday may immediately slam the creature against an object or creature within reach at the same attack bonus, doing slam damage both to the grappled opponent and the target object or creature. While grappling a single creature of large size or smaller, Doomsday is not considered grapping.

Pounce (Ex)
Doomsday gets a full attack at the end of each charge. In addition, when making a full attack he may move up to 50 feet between attacks.

Regeneration (Ex)
No form of attack deals lethal damage to Doomsday. It regenerates even if it fails a saving throw against a disintegrate spell or a death effect. If it fails its save against a spell or effect that would kill it instantly (such as those mentioned above), the spell or effect instead deals nonlethal damage equal to the creature’s full normal hit points +10. Doomsday is immune to effects that produce incurable or bleeding wounds, such as mummy rot, a sword with the wounding special ability, or a clay golem’s cursed wound ability.
It can be slain only by raising its nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points +10 and using a wish or miracle spell to keep it dead OR by a cosmic or divine creature with 40 HD or more reducing it to negative HP equal to its full HP total (1917 HP)
If Doomsday loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 1d6 minutes (the detached piece dies and decays normally). The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Skills
Doomsday has a +8 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

POWER COSMIC:
Doomsday wears no magic items but, being a cosmic being, it has various innate powers that mimick the effects of items. All the following powers are cosmic (treat as the divine powers of deities) and the parentheses beneath indicate what item or effect they most closely resemble.

Awesome Strike (Co)
Doomsday's natural attacks are treated as +5 wounding, speed weapons of slaying. In addition, Doomsday may shatter magical barriers such as wall of force and prismatic sphere that would normally be immune to physical attacks with its slam as a standard action. Finally, damage dealt by Doomsday cannot be healed or restored in any way for 17 days or until a successful remove curse cl DC 31 is attempted.
(amulet of natural attacks, rod of cancellation, constant curse weapon)

Armor Spikes (Co)
Doomsday's spikes offer protection as good as the best armor most mortals can fashion; he gains a +16 Armor bonus to AC, a +9 shield bonus to AC and may block incoming ranged and ranged touch attacks with a reflex save DC 20+ the attack's level or enhancement bonus. He gains resistance 30 against all energy types and by crouching and blocking with his hands and feet he gains total cover as if covering behind a tower shield.
(+5 tower shield of exceptional deflection, +5 mountain plate, ring of greater universal energy resistance)

Dread Carapace (Co)
Doomsday's armorlike carapace is exceptionally tough and highly reflective, deflecting all rays, lines, cones, and even magic missile spells. There is a 30% chance of reflecting any such effect back at the caster; otherwise, it is merely negated. Check for reflection before rolling to overcome the creature’s spell resistance.
In addition, Doomsday gains a +5 bonus to his natural armor and that natural armor may count as deflection, if that would be beneficial.
Finally, Doomsday can withstand attacks similar to a rogue with evasion only instead of rolling aside or taking cover, he blocks the worst of the burst with his heavy armor plates.
(tarrasque carapace plus +5 amulet of NA, permanent sinctillating scales, ring of evasion)

Fortifying Plates (Co)
Doomsday's head and other vulnerable areas are covered in heavy bone plates that are almost impenetrable. Doomsday ignores extra damage from critical hits and the plates covering his head are too thick and dense for mind-affecting effects to pass through thus he's immune to them.
(third eye conceal, gem of fortification)

Cosmic Enhancement
Doomsday has +5 inherent bonus to all ability scores and a +12 resistance bonus to all saving throws.
(tomes, vest of resistance)

Superstrength (Co)
Due to his density and great strength, Doomsday gains all the bonuses of being Titanic despite actually being huge, except for increased reach.
In addition, he gains a +16 enhancement bonus to strength, a +12 enhancement bonus to constitution and is too strong to be restrained by mundane or magical means; he automatically makes grapple checks to escape or avoid a grapple except when grappled by enemies with an equal or higher strength score than his own and is unaffected by any effects that restrict movement. Finally, he's immune to nonmagical attacks-mundane weapons and projectiles shatter against him-and even magical weapons must make a DC 20 fortitude save or shatter. Even if they don't, Doomsday still only takes half damage.
(+12 belt/boots, clawed hand graft, continious Righteous Might, ring of free action and weaponbreaking, starmantle cloak. It should be noted that tarrasque actual size is colossal, not huge)

Superspeed (Co)
Once per round as an immediate action, Doomsday can either move or jump up to 2740 feet. He moves so fast he barely seems to cross the intervening distance at all. When moving in this way, Doomsday can attempt a shattering strike at any physical barrier that bars his passage to break it and continue through without stopping.
(intelligent magic item with dimension door and passwall powers)

nysisobli
2009-09-23, 03:50 AM
I believe you should rename the ability power cosmic, as power cosmic is a marvel term for the ability Galactus and his heralds use.

Cieyrin
2009-09-23, 11:36 AM
I find it odd that he has WF(Unarmed Strike) and EWF(Unarmed Strike), given he doesn't make unarmed strikes. I suppose it's for Shattering Strike, though I don't see the monstrosity having that much of an issue breaking most things, really. +29 is probably enough, as +87 is definitely overkill with Shattering Strike. On the other hand, now that I actually look at the break DCs, he'd need the feat to break an average stone wall, as his +29 won't break a DC 50.

Also speaking of Shattering Strike, he doesn't actually qualify, as his attacks don't count as adamantine or does he have Ki Strike in any flavor.

Belial_the_Leveler
2009-09-24, 04:46 AM
Well, he's a cosmic entity whose innate powers replace treasure. What other name should I give?

As for the feats, many bonus feats do not have to follow perequisites. And his attacks are not just magic as Ki Strike is, they are Epic (which is an improvement). I suppose he could simply power attack his way through barriers (he has enough damage potential to flatten a battleship) but that isn't nearly as cool as breaking a 10-ft wall with a full-round action headbutt.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-24, 05:23 AM
His speed is listed as 100' (10 squares), which is incorrect. It should either be 100' (20 squares) or 50' (10 squares). Also, it looks like ol' DD would still be vulnerable to the same tactics that easily fell the Big T: fly out of range & pelt him with ranged attacks or spells that don't have a save or SR. I recommend spell immunity for the latter, like a golem.

Belial_the_Leveler
2009-09-24, 09:54 AM
Fixed the speed. As for the ranged tactics, Doomsday is smarter than the tarrasque and alot more perceptive. This means he has a few tactics up his sleeve;

1) Superjump Shocktrooper Attack. He can jump 2740 feet and smash your face in with 20d6+356 damage at +90 attack. This might not kill you immediately if you have the right defences but neither can you ignore him.

2) Defeat illusion. He automatically sees through pesky stuff like superior invisibility or major images if you get close enough due to his epic spot check. So you can't really hide.

3) Crazy castle attack. You know, pick up a castle as a move action and throw it at you as a projectile. The typical castle is lighter than his light load so he can use it as an improvised weapon.

Cieyrin
2009-09-24, 11:00 AM
I suppose we'll just apply the Rule of Cool here, then. Just thought I'd bring it up. :smalltongue:

Belial_the_Leveler
2009-09-24, 11:12 AM
No prob. A couple of things were based on that rule more than the normal rules anyway.
Like the change in the snatch ability. The tarrasque normally grabs you and swallows you. Doomsday grabs you and smashes you against the floor instead.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-24, 01:10 PM
Crazy castle attack. You know, pick up a castle as a move action and throw it at you as a projectile. The typical castle is lighter than his light load so he can use it as an improvised weapon.

Well, according to this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm), a Huge creature with a Strength score of 69 has a light load of up to 477,184 lbs. (238.6 tons), a medium load of up to 955,392 lbs. (477.7 tons), & a heavy load of up to 1,433,600 lbs. (716.8 tons). Most true castles contain literally kilotons of stone, so Doomsday isn't gonna be tossing castles about, even if it were possible to lift such a thing & launch it intact.

arguskos
2009-09-24, 01:30 PM
Could be a small castle? :smalltongue:

Who REALLY cares if he can do it anyways? He's a super-tarrasque who just THREW A CASTLE at you!! That's pretty damn awesome, right? I'd just dig it. :smallcool:

BabyPukeAttack
2009-09-24, 01:36 PM
wouldn't he be able to lift closer to 477,184? For close to 217 tons.

466 for base, X4 for 39, X4 again for 49, X4 yet again for 59, X4 once more 69, and a final X4 for being huge?

correct me if my wong please, but yea.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-24, 01:50 PM
wouldn't he be able to lift closer to 477,184? For close to 217 tons.

466 for base, X4 for 39, X4 again for 49, X4 yet again for 59, X4 once more 69, and a final X4 for being huge?

correct me if my wong please, but yea.

You're right; I forgot to factor in the size modifier. Fixed.

Belial_the_Leveler
2009-09-25, 02:18 AM
You are forgetting that Doomsday counts as titanic rather than huge if it would be beneficial and, since changing his shape to humanoid is only a flavor-change, also counts as a quarduped because original tarrasque was quarduped.

So, light load of 466 lbs for 29 strength.
256x for 69 strength.
32x for titanic.
1.5x for stabler than normal (essentially quarduped)
Final light load of 5.726.208 lbs or rougly 2790 tons.

So he can use as a projectile a solid cube of stone 35 feet across or, assuming that it doesn't break apart, a fair-sized medieval keep.

readsaboutd&d
2009-09-25, 02:40 PM
I get the impression that you created this not planning on making doomsday but rather on modifying a Tarrasque so this probably wont count , but in the comics everyone time he regenenarates back, he gets a new power to counter his death happening the same way.

Belial_the_Leveler
2009-09-25, 02:44 PM
I didn't need to do that. No attack whatsoever can permanently kill Doomsday as he is unless you are a true deity (no one in DC is) or you can cast Wish and penetrate his SR.

As for using the tarrasque as base, it was the closest thing rules-wise that I could work into Doomsday. I've tried to replicate just about anything he did in the comics/animations.