PDA

View Full Version : Erudite and learning discipline

Godna
2009-09-23, 12:47 PM
How do they learn discipline power?

At first it says he can only learn it from another's repertoire of powers, but in the section where it says how to do that it says that they automatically fail the check if its a discipline power.

so... if they cant do it why do they mention it or how do they learn them?

Yora
2009-09-23, 12:53 PM
They could have said "all powers except for domain powers", that would probably have been simpler.

Godna
2009-09-23, 12:59 PM
I just found a link on wizards so i think i can post the sections in question without any legal hastle (hopefully)
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060406b
I know its just a preview but the text was in dragon magazine and complete psionic.

Learning Discipline Powers: An erudite can learn discipline powers only by directly learning a power from another's repertoire, learning it from a power stone, or taking the Expanded Knowledge feat (EPH 46). In any case, an erudite can learn a discipline-only power only if it is up to 1 level lower than the highest level power he can manifest.

No matter what the power's source, the character must first make mental contact (a process similar to addressing a power stone, requiring a Psicraft check against a DC of 15 + the highest-level power contained in the stone or the repertoire). He can make mental contact only with a willing psionic character or creature (unconscious creatures are considered willing, but not psionic characters under the effects of other immobilizing conditions). Mental contact requires 1 round of physical contact. Once mental contact is achieved, the erudite becomes aware of all the powers stored in the power stone or all the powers known by the target up to the highest level of power the erudite knows himself (if the powers' host fails a Will save [DC 13 + erudite's Int bonus]).

Next, the erudite must make a Psicraft check (DC 15 + power's level) for each power he is trying to learn to see if he understands that power. If the selected power is not on his class list or on any of the select discipline lists, he automatically fails this check.

So apart from the Expanded Knowledge feat how do they learn them?

Thalnawr
2009-09-23, 01:23 PM
Looking down a little further, you should see this:

Next, the erudite must make a Psicraft check (DC 15 + power's level) for each power he is trying to learn to see if he understands that power. If the selected power is not on his class list or on any of the select discipline lists, he automatically fails this check.
So they can learn any power that's on the discipline lists or the psion/wilder lists. Just follow the "Committing the Power to Repertoire" section's rules for learning them.

Douglas
2009-09-23, 01:39 PM
The automatic fail clause you quoted is not for discipline powers, but for powers not on either the class or discipline lists. An Erudite can learn psion/wilder powers and discipline specific powers but not, for example, psychic warrior powers.

An Erudite can learn Dispel Psionics because it is on the psion/wilder general list. An Erudite can learn Energy Missile because it is on the Psychokinesis restricted list, though he has to be higher level than a Kineticist would. An Erudite cannot learn Strength of My Enemy because it is only on the Psychic Warrior list.

Godna
2009-09-23, 02:01 PM
I see the source of my confusion i initially posted this after reading the version in dragon magazine where its written

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e175/godna_1/a.jpg

I interpreted it as if the power is (not on his class list) or (is a discipline power).
hence the confusion upon reading the example i was able to post then i was able to understand thank you