PDA

View Full Version : Youtube + Songs =?

Lord Loss
2009-09-27, 02:40 PM
My friends and I are creating a Video Webseries that we Intend on Posting on youtube. We intend on including music. Music not written by us. Is there any way to do this without risking having it taken down? Like giving credit to the creators or something?

The Demented One
2009-09-27, 02:44 PM
No clue as to the actual legality of it, but it seems to be pretty common practice on Youtube. Odds are you'll be in the clear.

Prak
2009-09-27, 02:51 PM
here's what you do, in order:
1- Try to use artists who are against the RIAA (currently, that is. some of them flip flop a bit)
2- Give credit to the artists.
3- Don't try to make money off the video without the express permission of the artists. I don't think this includes merch, if you, for some reason, start selling merch based on the videos, you're likely in the clear, just don't sell the videos themselves.

This won't guarantee someone won't try to take you down, but it's the safest way to play it.

Athaniar
2009-09-27, 03:02 PM
Lots of videos use music. It should be OK, as long as you give credit.

TheBST
2009-09-27, 03:11 PM
Youtube can't even police people posting the actual music videos, let alone webseries that use the music. There's safety in numbers.

Prak
2009-09-27, 03:18 PM
There's also...

Refuge in audacity. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RefugeInAudacity)
*puts on sunglasses*
(yeaahh!!!!!)

(sorry, I couldn't resist.)

TheBST
2009-09-27, 03:25 PM
God damn it, Prak.

Nameless
2009-09-27, 03:34 PM
Youtube has lately been disabling the sound of a lot of video’s with music on them, so I would be careful.

Cruxador
2009-09-27, 03:34 PM
Not only will you not get in trouble, if you limit the music to some short amount of time, it's not even illegal! Believe that amount is 30 seconds at the moment, but I could be wrong.

Lupy
2009-09-27, 03:54 PM
Not only will you not get in trouble, if you limit the music to some short amount of time, it's not even illegal! Believe that amount is 30 seconds at the moment, but I could be wrong.

It is 30 seconds. It's called Fair Use.

Seonor
2009-09-27, 05:18 PM
Or you could use music that is released under a creative commons license.

This (http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2009/04/30/30-creative-commons-sources/) is a short list of the best sites and should have all you need: music, sounds, images, whatever.

A really long list of sources is here (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Content_Directories), but is probably too much if you just need a few songs.

Just make sure you know under what license the music is released and give credit (in most cases a simple link is enough).

Jimor
2009-09-27, 08:19 PM
If it's music from an artist signed to the Warner Music Group, the sound will be deleted from your entire file every time.

If it's music from an artist signed to one of the record companies that have an agreement with YouTube, like Universal or Sony, then when they come across your file, they will put up an ad on the side, link to the itunes store inside the video with the annotate function, disable embedding, then turn over all the ad revenue to the record company.

There's no such thing as a "30 second" Fair Use rule. In some cases, 30 secs of music would be fine, in other cases, it would be a copyright violation. It depends on a number of factors, and you never know if it's OK until a judge or jury actually makes a decision on that particular case.

Jack Squat
2009-09-27, 08:58 PM
Youtube has lately been disabling the sound of a lot of video’s with music on them, so I would be careful.

Far as I know (meaning what I've read), that's only happening in the UK, and is the result of some sort of agreement between Google and the government. Dunno how it'll affect Lord Loss, as I'm not sure where he's from.

Jimor
2009-09-27, 10:29 PM
No, it's because YouTube and Warner Music Group failed to come to a revenue sharing agreement, so any video with any bit of music from a Warner artist gets its sound turned off. Even the artists themselves can't put their videos on YouTube without this happening.

RS14
2009-09-27, 10:33 PM
There's no such thing as a "30 second" Fair Use rule. In some cases, 30 secs of music would be fine, in other cases, it would be a copyright violation. It depends on a number of factors, and you never know if it's OK until a judge or jury actually makes a decision on that particular case.

And even if it were a clear cut case of Fair Use, Youtube won't care. They have no obligation to host your video, regardless of how legal it may be to distribute. They'll take it down if asked rather than dealing with the legal hassle of passing it off for you to defend in court.

Lord Loss
2009-10-01, 05:17 AM
Thanks for all the help guys! I appreciate it (god, I sound like a greetings card...)