PDA

View Full Version : Cleric/Undead Help

Foryn Gilnith
2009-09-27, 07:20 PM
I'm making a high-level cleric, and I have a few questions for y'all.

In MM1 (core), what are good targets for Animate Dead? I'm using Plague of Undead (SC) for the effect, but the end result is practically identical. Just costs less and maximizes HD free.

Do you folks know where I can find a citation for the Phylactery of Undead Turning

Kylarra
2009-09-27, 07:23 PM
Phylactery of Undead Turning

This item is a boon to any character able to turn undead, allowing him to do so as if his class level were four levels higher than it actually is.

Moderate necromancy [good]; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, 10th-level cleric; Price 11,000 gp.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#phylacteryofUndeadTurning

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-27, 07:26 PM
Hydras make great Zombies, since they overcome the action limitation somewhat. Some outsiders retain some nice special attacks and SQ. I think Remorhazes keep their heat ability, and they can be very good tunnelers.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-09-27, 07:26 PM
Oh, wow, the important part of that sentence got cut off...

Do you folks know where I can find a citation for the Phylactery of Undead Turning affecting rebuking as well as turning? Several threads I found said it worked like that RAW, but it's a bit unclear.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-27, 07:32 PM
An evil cleric makes the equivalent of a turning check. Undead that would be turned are rebuked instead, and those that would be destroyed are commanded.

Rebuking is the same ability, only with a different effect on undead.

Kylarra
2009-09-27, 07:37 PM
I don't think you'll find a direct ruling on it. Most of the DMs I've played with would probably allow you to make an [evil] one that functioned for rebuke attempts at the same price though.

Keld Denar
2009-09-27, 07:50 PM
Look up K's guide to necromancy on the forum-formally-known-as-gleemax. Hes got some good suggestions in there for practical reannimation. For standard stuff, a flying zombie mount (wyvern or dragon) is useful, zombie hydras are pretty amazing, and very large things like giants tend to make decent zombies. Pretty much everything else should be a skeleton, especially at higher levels, due to iterative attacks.

Animate Dread Warrior is nice, because they keep their feats and stuff, so you can have like, a Skeleton Fighter spiked chain tripper to defend you...or 5.

PinkysBrain
2009-09-27, 08:01 PM
The only animate spell I know which lets them keep class features is animate dreadwarrior from LEoF.

Anything which lets you pick up every high level NPC on your way and turn him into a near incorruptible slave is hopelessly broken of course ...