PDA

View Full Version : Civilization like RPG/Strategy?

Talking Donkey
2009-09-27, 07:58 PM
Does anyone know if their is a a ruleset to adapt Civilization IV to a RP/Nations type game? A game where you are the ruler, invested with the power, at an early age, to bring your people to greatness. Maybe even a game where you aren't so much a single leader but whichever leader is currently in power so you can expand you empire?

I guess maybe a mix of worldbuilding, roleplaying, strategy?

Kizara
2009-09-27, 08:18 PM
Civ 4 aside (that game could've been so great if they didn't trim so much off), I'd love something like this as well, but I've yet to find anything decent.

Closest I can do for you is point you at the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook (3e DnD), and if you are interested and send me your e-mail I'll send you my half-done houserules for medival city advancement and governance. Even half-done, they are pretty decent. I never finished them because the campaign fell apart because we couldn't play it for 3 months and forgot all the details. Too bad though, it was a great campaign...

Gnaeus
2009-09-27, 08:25 PM
Birthright. It was a 2nd Ed D&D game, with a fan created 3.5 update. It had rules for Magical, Church, Political and Guild holdings, with lots of strategic actions characters could take. Just google birthright D&D.

Talking Donkey
2009-09-27, 09:13 PM
Thanks. I have The Stronghold Builders guide, but was looking for something a little more complete. I would like to see what you have as far as house-rules for it.

I've looked over Birthright but its not quite what I'm looking for either. Honestly I am hoping for something that doesn't use 3.5 rules.

Kiaran
2009-09-27, 09:21 PM
There's also an old game called "Aria" where one of the levels of play was RPing as a Nation. The specific sourcebook was "Aria Worlds"

That said, it was a cool idea, but extremely western-centric (I can't think of how to use it to make even an Eastern European style nation) and rather dense to read.

Kizara
2009-09-27, 10:18 PM
Thanks. I have The Stronghold Builders guide, but was looking for something a little more complete. I would like to see what you have as far as house-rules for it.

I've looked over Birthright but its not quite what I'm looking for either. Honestly I am hoping for something that doesn't use 3.5 rules.

Send me your e-mail (or IM info if you want to chat about it) via PM and I'll give it to you.

I regret not finishing it now, as it was some of my better homebrewing.