2009-09-29, 12:17 AM
Is it pronounced val-knut or valk-nut?

CrimsonAngel
2009-09-29, 03:17 PM
Is what pronounced what or what?

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-29, 06:05 PM
Is it pronounced val-knut or valk-nut?

Valr-knut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valknut). First line.

Zeb The Troll
2009-09-30, 01:28 AM
Valr-knut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valknut). First line.That first line is an etymology, not a pronunciation guide. However, based on said etymology, my guess would be val'knut. My google-fu has failed me in finding an official pronunciation for this word. No surprise there. I can't find one for Drow (does it rhyme with brow or crow?) or Dweomer (I've heard dwee' mer, dwee' uh mer, dweh' mer, and dwee oh' mer) either. :smallsigh:

Yora
2009-09-30, 08:06 AM
Val-knut is most probably right. Valk would be a very uncommon syllable in northern european languages.
But unlike english, the k is pronounced.

Totally Guy
2009-09-30, 11:03 AM
I can't find one for Drow (does it rhyme with brow or crow?)

Drow rhymes with Bow. Everyone knows that.:smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-30, 11:41 AM
That first line is an etymology, not a pronunciation guide. However, based on said etymology, my guess would be val'knut. My google-fu has failed me in finding an official pronunciation for this word. No surprise there. I can't find one for Drow (does it rhyme with brow or crow?) or Dweomer (I've heard dwee' mer, dwee' uh mer, dweh' mer, and dwee oh' mer) either. :smallsigh:

See this is why I don't give advice :smallredface:

As for Drow my only knowledge of it is from the second D&D movie, where it did indeed rhyme with brow.

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-30, 11:50 AM

now you're just being cheeky ;)

although the easiest way to ruin someones entire weekend of larp is telling them they're a drow when they think they're a deamon

"what on earth are you... some sort of drow"
"NO! im a deamon!"
"No.. you're a drow"
"im not"
"yes you are... drow are like coal.... only good for burning. GET HIM"

Keld Denar
2009-09-30, 12:32 PM
Of course, after you get that arguement resolved, you could ask them for help slaying an evil lich (pronouced leesh).

Cause you know...sometimes fires don't go out...when you're playing with them.

Jacklu
2009-09-30, 12:34 PM

Pronouncing Drow like that puts it only one letter away from Bro. The only thing worse than a drow is a bro. >.>

Kaelaroth
2009-09-30, 12:45 PM

Drow rhymes with cow, no? :smallconfused::smalleek:

Calamity
2009-09-30, 02:20 PM
Pronouncing Drow like that puts it only one letter away from Bro. The only thing worse than a drow is a bro. >.>

What are you talking about? Bow rhymes with cow!
Unless you're shooting arrows out of it, I suppose.

Yora
2009-09-30, 02:29 PM
There's bow and there's bow. :smallbiggrin:
But there's only one cow and Drow sounds like it.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-01, 12:05 AM
You know what's even more irritating about the Drow pronunciation discussion? Even the Drow of the Underdark sourcebook (2E), which has a language guide in it, doesn't give an official answer to this oft debated topic.

skywalker
2009-10-01, 01:29 AM

Drows before hos?

Athaniar
2009-10-01, 01:30 AM
Didn't Salvatore himself say that it rhymes with cow? Probably. But I still say it rhymes with "moose".

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-01, 01:34 AM
Didn't Salvatore himself say that it rhymes with cow? Probably.For the love of all that is sacred, please, point me to this source.

Athaniar
2009-10-01, 01:55 AM
For the love of all that is sacred, please, point me to this source.

I think it's one of the Drizzt book compilations, I will see if I can find it when I come home.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-01, 02:53 AM
I think it's one of the Drizzt book compilations, I will see if I can find it when I come home.I don't care what those other guys say, you, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. :smallcool:
Assuming you can find it for me. Otherwise you're just like the rest of them. :smalltongue:

I FOUND IT, I FOUND IT!! (http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wizards.com%2Fdnd%2FDnD Archives_FAQ.asp&date=2008-10-03)

It's an archive of an old WotC FAQ page, but it's on there!

Officially...
Drow - "DRAU (as in drowsy; rhymes with now and how)"
Dweomer - "DWEH-mer (rhymes with "hem her"), or DWIH-mer; sometimes DWEE-mer"

Oh joyous day!

*dances around the office*
*gets funny looks from coworkers*