PDA

View Full Version : Tutors in the Playground?

The Neoclassic
2009-09-30, 07:00 PM
I occasionally see threads here about people looking for help with some subject or another... Do you think it might be useful to have one thread where folks can ask for help or list themselves as being willing to assist with certain subjects.

I, for one, can help with most things economics related (though more the conceptual parts and graphs than the math itself).

Anyway, let me know what you think of this.

thubby
2009-09-30, 08:29 PM
sounds like a good idea

I'm pretty good with math up to calculus and a little trig

TheBibliophile
2009-09-30, 08:32 PM
Um, I'm good at, um, Mandarin Chinese (sorta), Latin (not very much), French (not very much at all), Biology (at IGCSE level), maybe History (depends on the time period) and playing the recorder.

Also, I may not be available during most of the week, but shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Em Blackleaf
2009-09-30, 08:57 PM
I'm kinda smart-ish.

Math-wise, I can help with Algebra a little bit. That's Algebra I and II. So, basic algebra, systems of equations, etc. Matrices (adding, subtracting, multiplying, finding Identity Matrices sort of, and finding inverse Matrices) even though I hate matrices.
But I'm not in Pre-Calculus or Calculus yet.
Don't ask me about geometry. It won't help. I probably know less about it than you. :smalltongue:

I can help with really really simple French. So little, that you probably wouldn't need help with it. But, I'd like to help if I could and I totally understand the numbers, the alphabet, subject pronouns, a few verbs (to go, to love, to sing, to dance, etc.) and how to conjugate them. I also know negatives. I can't say any particularly complex sentences yet.

I can help with questions you might have about grammar (in English or in French). :smalltongue:

I know a little bit about Chemistry and Biology. Almost nothing about Physics, though.
Hm... That's about it, I think. You can PM me if you need help with something, and I'll try to help you out! :smallsmile:

DISCLAIMER: All of this is at an American high school level, except math, which I am told is a college-level class.

TheBibliophile
2009-09-30, 09:00 PM
Oh, yeah, should have added:

DISCLAIMER: All of this is at around S1 level (Scottish grade system) except the Biology and the Chinese. I say around because I'm home-educated, and am told that I'm ahead of my grade in some things. :smallcool:

Crimmy
2009-09-30, 09:18 PM
Well, my help can come for two things:

1.- Anathomy, Biology and Physiology. I am currently studying my senior year with speciality in those areas, and am also in a knowledge olympic for anathomy and physiology.

2.- Anybody willing to learn Spanish in citizen level (meaning, speaking fluently, with no mistakes in genders.)

DISCLAIMER:
Biology, anathomy, and physiology is senior knowledge, not higher.
Help with spanish is not professional spanish, but more like casual spanish.

Trai
2009-09-30, 09:22 PM
I'm willing to help with English. I'm good with editing papers.

Lioness
2009-10-03, 06:36 AM
I'm good with Japanese up to about Aussie grade 11. General grammar and vocab, etc.

I am also good with English, so if anyone needs help with grammar issues or whatnot, I'll be all too willing to help.

That being said, don't ask me for help with maths of physics, you will likely get a very nonsensical answer.

Edit: Also good for matters of classical music, theory, musicianship, etc.

SDF
2009-10-03, 06:43 AM
Sometimes I can help if I see the thread in time (Usually someone is good enough to answer before I get there) I have taken high level uni science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math) As well as some anthro, comm, and second year Arabic. I actually worked as a grade school tutor for a while, helping him with any subject he had trouble with. (I was even really good at helping him with Theology, but we can't really do that here) Oh, also, if you need music theory I'm your man =D.

Shoot me a PM if you feel like. I might not be the most timely responding, but I'll do my best.

Adlan
2009-10-03, 08:11 AM
I'm a 2nd year chemistry student. I'd be willing to be on a PM list if people need help.

Catch
2009-10-03, 08:18 AM
I'm working toward becoming a full-time-ish tutor in the Fiction Writing department at my college, so I can help you turn your stories around, or figure out how to start one.

raitalin
2009-10-03, 08:24 AM
I'm good with just about any sort of history, though Ancient History is probably my weak point (weak as in I've only taken 2 300-400 level college courses in it and aced them) all the way up to Post-colonial U.S. History, which I'm a graduate student in. I've also got an in-depth understanding of economics and civics (which, on principle, I don't refer to as "political science") at the senior college level.

I'm also pretty well-versed in ecology and environmental policy, which is what I went to school for the first time.

I can edit English papers, though I tend to ignore things like passive voice (unless it really feels weak). Mostly I can tell when something's written poorly and tell you how to fix it, but I might not be able to tell you *why* its wrong.

All in all, I'm good at stuff people rarely need help with. Believe me, I looked for tutoring jobs before I started teaching, and there's a flood of math/science, a lot of foreign languages, a few English and almost no Social Studies positions.

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-03, 08:44 AM
I'm good at German, but there are native speakers on these boards who I'm sure can help you with that.

Serpentine
2009-10-03, 09:06 AM
Lots of helpers, few helpees :smalltongue:

I'm a bit of a jack-of-all-trades. Got my Bachelor in Arts and Science, during which I studied history, ancient history, ancient literature, some communications/gender studies, evolution, ecology, animal behaviour, comparative physiology, zoology, systematics, statistics, and so on. I also think I'm pretty good at editing and critiquing, research, and literature in general.

Eon
2009-10-03, 10:01 AM
man, i wish i could help but i'm not in high school yet... so i have basic information...

Yora
2009-10-03, 10:37 AM
I'm good at German, but there are native speakers on these boards who I'm sure can help you with that.

Me, for example. Though I don't think it's a skill, that is very high in demand.
But if you do want to know something, feel free to ask. Even if it's just about the spelling of your cool Nietzsche quote for your sig. :smallbiggrin:
I'm also a Religion major at University, though that does not imply encyclopedic knowledge in all branches of this massive field. But when it is about explaining something instead of describing something specific, I might be a bit of help.

Froogleyboy
2009-10-03, 10:46 AM
Okay, if someone posted it already, I'm sorry. But, I'm looking for help learning Japanese

Knaight
2009-10-03, 10:50 AM
I can help with Algebra and Geometry up to a highschool level, some basic calculus, chem up to an early college level, basic bio, and stuff relating to some religions.

SensFan
2009-10-04, 11:54 AM
I'm a 2nd year math major. I can help with questions about most math subjects.

daggaz
2009-10-04, 12:00 PM
lmao, and this just turned into a thread of "I'm good at X, Y, and a bit of Z" what are you good at?