PDA

View Full Version : No sheaths in DND?

Silentlee
2009-10-01, 01:47 PM
Where would i locate sheaths at?

Zeta Kai
2009-10-01, 01:50 PM
The Vote-Up-A-Campaign-Setting project in the Homebrew forum has a new item slot for magical scabbards [/plug], but I've never seen such a thing in published material. It's a shame, because it seems like such a logical thing to make. Non-magical sheathes are probably ignored because they don't provide any easily-ascertained mechanical benefit.

jokey665
2009-10-01, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it's assumed they come with the weapon, and provide no stats/bonuses worth noting.

Silentlee
2009-10-01, 01:52 PM
time for custom item making in PCGEN!

Worira
2009-10-01, 01:55 PM
A sheath would imply that there are times you are not slaying your foes.

SurlySeraph
2009-10-01, 01:56 PM
Well, there's the Scabbard of Keen Edges.

Silentlee
2009-10-01, 01:56 PM
if i don't sheath my swords how do i use my bow?!

CheshireCatAW
2009-10-01, 01:58 PM
There is a shield-sheath that you can add to your Shield. I believe drawing your weapon from there becomes a free action, though I cannot recall at this moment.

I think it's in Races of Stone.

Telonius
2009-10-01, 01:58 PM
Generally I try to create my own sheathe using the nearest enemy's stomach.

Silentlee
2009-10-01, 01:59 PM
Generally I try to create my own sheathe using the nearest enemy's stomach.

what is the weight and cost of such a sheath?

::readies his pencil::

Blackfang108
2009-10-01, 02:01 PM
what is the weight and cost of such a sheath?

::readies his pencil::

0 gp, but the weight WILL put you at a Heavy Load, unless you're Huge or larger.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-01, 02:05 PM
0 gp, but the weight WILL put you at a Heavy Load, unless you're Huge or larger.

Well, obviously it will if you don't bother to cut the sheath down to a manageable size! Honestly, you don't need both lungs...or the arms...or the legs...or the head, do you?

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-01, 02:07 PM
Well, obviously it will if you don't bother to cut the sheath down to a manageable size! Honestly, you don't need both lungs...or the arms...or the legs...or the head, do you?

Just don't touch the liver. You wouldn't like the gooey filling.

kamikasei
2009-10-01, 02:09 PM
It's assumed that a sheath comes with / has a negligible cost relative to the weapon, along with anything else you might need to harness your gear.

Mr.Bookworm
2009-10-01, 02:14 PM
The Vote-Up-A-Campaign-Setting project in the Homebrew forum has a new item slot for magical scabbards [/plug], but I've never seen such a thing in published material. It's a shame, because it seems like such a logical thing to make. Non-magical sheathes are probably ignored because they don't provide any easily-ascertained mechanical benefit.

I mean, hell, one of the most famous swords of all time was only worth much because of the sheath. Excalibur was a very, very well-done sword (admittedly, some versions do attribute magical powers to the sword itself, but I'm making a point gosh darn it), but a regular weapon. The sheath, however, either stopped your wounds from bleeding entirely or kept you from dying from blood loss (depending on the version).

JeenLeen
2009-10-01, 02:15 PM
Well, there's the Scabbard of Keen Edges.

I believe there's also a Sacred Scabbard (MiC) and there are possibly other items. Otherwise, I imagine it's assumed that it's on your person but not taking up a body slot. Just like, IIRC, the Scabbard or Ehlonna's Quiver do not take up a slot.

I do think there are suprisingly few such magical items, but the lack of a slot could be why. By RAW, I imagine no reason you can't have two magic scabbards and rotate which one you use for the desired magical effect.

Bayar
2009-10-01, 02:15 PM
Quick draw sheath would be awesome.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-01, 02:33 PM
Just don't touch the liver. You wouldn't like the gooey filling.

"Elf?"

"I...I touched the liver...*BLARGHARGHARGH*"

Prime32
2009-10-01, 02:38 PM
Races of Stone also has a sheath you can build into a shield to draw your weapon faster.

deuxhero
2009-10-01, 02:45 PM
The sheath, however, either stopped your wounds from bleeding entirely or kept you from dying from blood loss (depending on the version).

Hmm, how would you stats that? I think there was a level 0 spell (or level 1?) spell from a web article that stopped bleeding effects, so... 4000 (2000 if you consider sheath a proper item slot).

CrazySopher
2009-10-01, 02:49 PM
I know that 4th Ed's Adventurer's Vault 1 and 2 have special sheathes that imbue a bonus upon the weapon most recently drawn from it. Can automatically resize to fit any light or heavy blade. But except for the specific items mentioned above by other posters, I don't know of any specific sheathes not mentioned above...

ashmanonar
2009-10-01, 02:52 PM
A sheath would imply that there are times you are not slaying your foes.

This.

Why would you ever need a sheath, anyways? I've never seen adventurers without their weapons in hand.

sofawall
2009-10-01, 03:13 PM
There is a shield-sheath that you can add to your Shield. I believe drawing your weapon from there becomes a free action, though I cannot recall at this moment.

I think it's in Races of Stone.

Races of Stone also has a sheath you can build into a shield to draw your weapon faster.

More confirming instances of my hypothesis: Nobody reads on GitP, just posts.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-01, 03:27 PM
More confirming instances of my hypothesis: Nobody reads on GitP, just posts.

Now now, that's unfair. People read plenty on GitP. I do, for example.

Also, did somebody mention the shield scabbard thing in Races of Stone? :smalltongue:

Prime32
2009-10-01, 03:39 PM
...I normally read, I'd just read the lower posts and forgot about it. :smalleek:

taltamir
2009-10-01, 09:10 PM
only shortswords and longswords use a sheath.

ericgrau
2009-10-01, 09:13 PM
Your sheathe is next to the bottle of oil you wipe your sword with daily, the rag you use with said oil and the whetstone with which you sharpen your sword. Otherwise it'd be dull and rusty, and no fighter would ever let that happen. i.e., usually this stuff is not on your character sheet but you in fact have one already.

Lunawarrior0
2009-10-01, 10:17 PM
Your sheathe is next to the bottle of oil you wipe your sword with daily, the rag you use with said oil and the whetstone with which you sharpen your sword. Otherwise it'd be dull and rusty, and no fighter would ever let that happen. i.e., usually this stuff is not on your character sheet but you in fact have one already.

is my mind in the gutter? or did that sound dirty to other people?

arguskos
2009-10-01, 10:20 PM
Respectively, yes and no.

Zeta, you and da 'fro have made a new body slot for magical sheaths? Excellent... I may actually have to read ya'lls setting for something now. :smallwink:

taltamir
2009-10-01, 10:21 PM

well... a part of the female anatomy that starts with a V is latin for "sheath"... yea... cause you put your "sword" in it... oiling and rubbing optional.

Zeful
2009-10-01, 10:24 PM

No, "Sheathing the Sword" is a common euphemism for sex (or at the very least the initial act of penetration). It probably sounded dirty to others too.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-10-01, 10:26 PM
Also for putting on a condom, which seems odd because that means you're sheathing your sword before you use i *is banned*.

Aaaanyway, they come included with the appropriate weapons, in my mind, along with basic maintenance equipment.

daggaz
2009-10-01, 11:44 PM
As said above, there are at least two valid examples of magical sheathes in DnD, one of them core. It is also kinda assumed you have one for mundane things as well, considering you have the quick draw feat... just where are you quick drawing that greatsword or those twin scimitars from anyhow?? :smallsmile:

Want more sheaths? Then just follow the same kinda "guideline" used in the other two. Scabbard of Keen edges is casting a 3rd lvl spell three times a day on command for... zomg 16,000 gp. LAUGH. Use the MIC pricing guidelines at any rate, as most of the core wonderous junk is priced into the stratosphere..

Grumman
2009-10-02, 12:04 AM
Why would you ever need a sheath, anyways? I've never seen adventurers without their weapons in hand.
Because you're an Iaijutsu Master and you want that extra 100 points of damage per hit?

Cicciograna
2009-10-02, 04:53 AM
I think that the sheath should play some role in D&D, but not beneficial one. I don't think running is easy with a 3ft pipe hanging from your belt, bouncing all in the way: Murphy's Law would surely dictate that said pipe would end between your legs, making you stumble in your flight from the red dragon...
Things go even worse if you are a melee ranger.

More, having a long sheath strapped on your back should greatly impair your ability duck and dodge, thus lessening your efficience in combat (this is why a Fighter/Rogue with a Fullblade would be highly improbable).
And remember, Leonardo had a carapace: he didn't even feel the katanas on his back...
http://www.derekwalden.com/images/blog/characters/leonardo.jpg

daggaz
2009-10-02, 05:23 AM
And remember, Leonardo had a carapace: he didn't even feel the katanas on his back...

Lmao... using a cartoon ninja turtle in connection with a "real world" argument for how sheathes would affect a character in a high-fantasy role-playing game. Ohmygod man, ... I... I just dont know what to say. :smallbiggrin:

Cicciograna
2009-10-02, 05:25 AM
Lmao... using a cartoon ninja turtle in connection with a "real world" argument for how sheathes would affect a character in a high-fantasy role-playing game. Ohmygod man, ... I... I just dont know what to say. :smallbiggrin:

Obviously a joke :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Sliver
2009-10-02, 05:43 AM
Well, someone could come up with the argument that Leo had swords strapped on his back, so it was just smart to counter such argument before it even came up..

Radiun
2009-10-02, 06:10 AM
[...]Honestly, you don't need both lungs...or the arms[...]

Picture it: A man in a bar insults you, you unfasten your sheath and slap them with it,the preserved hand of your macabre arm-sheath making a satisfying smacking sound before sliding off from centrifugal force and freaking out the patrons.
"Looks like I need a new sheath, and you look just the right size"

Reaper_Monkey
2009-10-02, 06:24 AM
The logical answer, as posted by others, is that the sheath simply comes with the item and costs no more nor weighs anything. If you want it to look fancy I'm sure you could throw a few gold at it and have it look a little nicer... but all in all its an insignificant item.

However, when I find an sword still sticking out of a dead body, or in a pile of "junk" because no-one thought to detect magic each item and it look mundane, or from the competitor who just dropped it and ran away rather than being killed... then I don't have a sheath for it. What then?

In these situations we employ the use of Schrödinger's sheath, in that, so long as you are not looking at your weapon, it is both sheathed and unsheathed at the same time. Thus allowing you to not worry about it until you get back to town and have time to buy a free sheath. :smallbiggrin:

Sliver
2009-10-02, 06:37 AM
However, when I find an sword still sticking out of a dead body, or in a pile of "junk" because no-one thought to detect magic each item and it look mundane, or from the competitor who just dropped it and ran away rather than being killed... then I don't have a sheath for it. What then?

You find the sheath right next to it, obv. Anyone nice enough to keep his sword in the dead body you just found, is also nice enough to drop his sheath next to it.

Thurbane
2009-10-02, 07:04 AM
Hmm, how would you stats that? I think there was a level 0 spell (or level 1?) spell from a web article that stopped bleeding effects, so... 4000 (2000 if you consider sheath a proper item slot).
Periapt of Wound Closure (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsWI.html#periapt-of-wound-closure)

ericgrau
2009-10-02, 07:37 AM

Wow, that interpretation never occured to me.:smalleek: I'm gonna say anything you could do with a sword could be interpreted that way. Just normally you're busy stabbing others rather than handling it by yourself.

As said above, there are at least two valid examples of magical sheathes in DnD, one of them core. It is also kinda assumed you have one for mundane things as well, considering you have the quick draw feat... just where are you quick drawing that greatsword or those twin scimitars from anyhow?? :smallsmile:

Want more sheaths? Then just follow the same kinda "guideline" used in the other two. Scabbard of Keen edges is casting a 3rd lvl spell three times a day on command for... zomg 16,000 gp. LAUGH. Use the MIC pricing guidelines at any rate, as most of the core wonderous junk is priced into the stratosphere..
Actually the pricing guidelines would put it at 16,200 gp (3 x 5 x 1800 x 3/5), and compared to the keen enchantment it gets cheaper at higher levels. So if all wondrous items are "overpriced", then they're on par with it. The weapons are on par with it. The rings, rods, etc. use the same pricing guidelines. So you're saying everything in core is overpriced. But overpriced compared to what? Well, core is the baseline, so it's overpriced compared to itself? Or you're really saying we need more wealth, 'cuz that's the same thing as making everything cost less.

But I'm gonna take a wild guess that the MIC pricing guidelines are copied from the DMG pricing guidelines, so the scabbard is 200 gp underpriced either way.

If you want to invent similar scabbards, then spell level x caster level x 1800 x uses per day / 5 seems like a good starting point.

Zovc
2009-10-02, 08:52 AM
I think they don't have magical sheaths because, for the most part, only swords use them. Seriously, it wouldn't be fair for the guy using an axe to get one less magical item.

BRC
2009-10-02, 09:05 AM
I think they don't have magical sheaths because, for the most part, only swords use them. Seriously, it wouldn't be fair for the guy using an axe to get one less magical item.

Magical axe cozy?

Sliver
2009-10-02, 09:15 AM

They could ask for a magical item that, as the weapon is pushed into a sheath, it transforms into a sword, and back when you draw it.. the bonuses won't apply if the new form can't hold them.. so no keen hammers I guess..
Want to draw a lance from your sheath? sure.

How much would you price such an item (slotless probably. unless you make a sheath slot, and a sheath ring (or crystal?) slot, and this is a ring (or crystal?) that you put on your sheath..)

Reaper_Monkey
2009-10-02, 09:28 AM
They could ask for a magical item that, as the weapon is pushed into a sheath, it transforms into a sword, and back when you draw it.. the bonuses won't apply if the new form can't hold them.. so no keen hammers I guess..
Want to draw a lance from your sheath? sure.

This really isn't necessary, Axes and Maces and Hammers all have sheaths in the form of angled loops and partial leather sheathing over the edges (in the form of axes) to hold them on your belt.
As for Daggers, Kukri, and other smaller blades, they just have smaller sheaths which are identical to those used for swords.
Fails and other "separated" weapons have loops to hold the handle and a flap with ties/buttons to hold the weapons business end firmly so its no longer mobile.
Even scythes have a "drop in" sheath to hold the blade and then fold over loops to keep it firm against your back. And bows have special slid in flaps with padding to stop them getting damaged.

I admit that lances have no sheaths (unless your on a warhorse, in which case you can have a short lance places along side the saddle, but it wouldn't be able to be quickly drawn, especially when riding). But almost all weapons have a form of sheath where they can be held about your person safely. So any bonus you want form having an appropriate magical sheath is find for any weapon so long as the bonus granted applies to the weapon (no keening hammers as you've said).

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-02, 09:33 AM
There are sheathes but typically, they aren't worth noting. If you wanted a special one, you could just ask your DM about it. Like if you want it to be diamond-encrusted or something but your average sheathe wouldn't provide any mechanical effect so there's no reason to deal with it.

Though one cool idea would be to draw a katana and off-hand the scabbard as a club.

Zovc
2009-10-02, 09:41 AM
But almost all weapons have a form of sheath where they can be held about your person safely. So any bonus you want form having an appropriate magical sheath is find for any weapon so long as the bonus granted applies to the weapon (no keening hammers as you've said).

Sheaths that simply consist of a loop aren't really "sheaths" to me. You put a sword into its sheath blade first, you pull the weapon out by the area you wield it by (the handle) and can do so in one fluid motion. Let's say I have a loop on my belt I drop my axe into, the blade is what keeps it from falling straight through, right? In other words, I drop the bottom of the axe (opposite of the blade, the end of the "handle") into the loop. I want to draw that axe now, I first have to pull the axe up by the blade, then I can grab the handle and pull the axe out--I may have not gripped the axe the way I want to fight with it yet. You can't really argue that a "loop" sheath is anywhere near as convenient as the sheath on your belt you'd put a sword in.

In the same vein, you need to allow a player to carry at least two sheaths, otherwise you favor one weapon (sword & board or two-hander) over two-weapon fighting.* Then, you still favor a character who uses one weapon at a time, almost, because I might want to have a Greatsword and a Longsword and Shield... or I could want a sheath for my bow/crossbow.

Let's think about trying to pull out two axes at once from loops; the fastest way I can think of doing that is "pinching" the blades and "tossing" the axes up, then grabbing the shafts and pulling them out of the loops totally. I still think grabbing the handles of swords and whipping them out is much more fluid and practical.

Reaper_Monkey
2009-10-02, 09:41 AM
Though one cool idea would be to draw a katana and off-hand the scabbard as a club.

Or use the scabbard for 90% of the fight, and then land the final killing blow with the katana. Because some films are just too cool not to emulate.

Sheaths that simply consist of a loop aren't really "sheaths" to me. You put a sword into its sheath blade first, you pull the weapon out by the area you wield it by (the handle) and can do so in one fluid motion. Let's say I have a loop on my belt I drop my axe into, the blade is what keeps it from falling straight through, right? In other words, I drop the bottom of the axe (opposite of the blade, the end of the "handle") into the loop. I want to draw that axe now, I first have to pull the axe up by the blade, then I can grab the handle and pull the axe out--I may have not gripped the axe the way I want to fight with it yet. You can't really argue that a "loop" sheath is anywhere near as convenient as the sheath on your belt you'd put a sword in.

No, you can have sheaths designed for quicker drawing with axe. Picture the axe head down, but the axe itself at a 30ish degree angle, as if you were still holding it by the handle down by you side. If you now picture the axe head having a corner of leather to hold the top of its head and the blade, which is attached at an angle to your belt. Then a small piece of leather or string to loop or button over the axe to stop it bouncing out when you move (so across the back of the axe head/ slightly over the handle if the strip is large enough) then the axe handle points up towards your armpit but slightly backwards.
This allows you to quickly unclip the loop (with your first finger) and draw the axe (with your other three fingers and thumb) in one swift motion with no stalling or having to handle the head of the axe. It's less conventional but most people use an axe as a tool rather than a weapon (unless they're throwing them, but throwing axe are shaped differently and are smaller).

Hope that all made sense.

BritishBill
2009-10-02, 04:15 PM
Where would i locate sheaths at?

im assuming any weapon you find or purchase during a game that can be placed in a sheath would come with one. unless otherwise stated by the dungeon master.

BritishBill
2009-10-02, 04:19 PM
Or use the scabbard for 90% of the fight, and then land the final killing blow with the katana. Because some films are just too cool not to emulate.

No, you can have sheaths designed for quicker drawing with axe. Picture the axe head down, but the axe itself at a 30ish degree angle, as if you were still holding it by the handle down by you side. If you now picture the axe head having a corner of leather to hold the top of its head and the blade, which is attached at an angle to your belt. Then a small piece of leather or string to loop or button over the axe to stop it bouncing out when you move (so across the back of the axe head/ slightly over the handle if the strip is large enough) then the axe handle points up towards your armpit but slightly backwards.
This allows you to quickly unclip the loop (with your first finger) and draw the axe (with your other three fingers and thumb) in one swift motion with no stalling or having to handle the head of the axe. It's less conventional but most people use an axe as a tool rather than a weapon (unless they're throwing them, but throwing axe are shaped differently and are smaller).

Hope that all made sense.

I think this is the most absurd thing i heard all day. You are insane, an axe cannot be sheathed. My head hurts. I prefer to sheath my axe in the heads of my enemies. Brb tylenol run. :smallfurious:

BritishBill
2009-10-02, 04:22 PM
I think that the sheath should play some role in D&D, but not beneficial one. I don't think running is easy with a 3ft pipe hanging from your belt, bouncing all in the way: Murphy's Law would surely dictate that said pipe would end between your legs, making you stumble in your flight from the red dragon...
Things go even worse if you are a melee ranger.

More, having a long sheath strapped on your back should greatly impair your ability duck and dodge, thus lessening your efficience in combat (this is why a Fighter/Rogue with a Fullblade would be highly improbable).

its a shell not an exoskeleton. how does a sheth hinder your ability to duck and dodge?

Cicciograna
2009-10-02, 04:49 PM
its a shell not an exoskeleton. how does a sheth hinder your ability to duck and dodge?

Try to duck with a rigid pipe on your backbone, securely tied to your shoulders: I tried, it was not easy.

Spiryt
2009-10-02, 05:10 PM
Try to duck with a rigid pipe on your backbone, securely tied to your shoulders: I tried, it was not easy.

:smallsigh:

If you want to pick on such details, note that most probably no one was ever carrying scabbard on his back (except Geralt of Rivia, of course) - it's even in Wikipedia.

Cicciograna
2009-10-02, 05:25 PM
:smallsigh:

If you want to pick on such details, note that most probably no one was ever carrying scabbard on his back (except Geralt of Rivia, of course) - it's even in Wikipedia.

And probably nobody either used to go around in full plate, running and slaying dragons...

I didn't mean to pick details, since it's a game that we're talking about, a game and the consequences of having or not having a sheath. As in D&D images abound of fighters with blades sheathed on their back (the first that comes to my mind is Regdar (http://www.consupport.com/genconindy2004/images/marshal_regdar.jpg)), I was simply noting some of the possible derivations of such a disposition.

Starscream
2009-10-02, 05:28 PM
Hey, serendipity! I was just coming here to ask a question about a scabbard, and there's a thread discussing them. I was feeling awkward about starting a thread for such a little question.

Here goes. In the campaign I'm DMing, the players are all fond of using a special poison I've allowed them to homebrew. It's basically a more expensive version of Drow poison with a higher DC which allows them to take enemies alive, and has become a sort of trademark of the party.

However, not everyone in the party has Poison Use, so those members don't get to use the stuff and are getting a little left out (many missions involve capturing live monsters, making the poison borderline necessary).

So I've designed a special scabbard for these characters. You can load it with doses of a poison (up to three at a time), and push a hidden button (a free action) while drawing your sword, dosing it with the poison at no risk to yourself.

This seems like a generally handy item for any character to have, and will remain useful at higher levels due to better poisons becoming available, and there not being any other special scabbards to speak of anyway. So what do you think it should cost?

Spiryt
2009-10-02, 05:38 PM
And probably nobody either used to go around in full plate, running and slaying dragons...

I didn't mean to pick details, since it's a game that we're talking about, a game and the consequences of having or not having a sheath. As in D&D images abound of fighters with blades sheathed on their back (the first that comes to my mind is Regdar (http://www.consupport.com/genconindy2004/images/marshal_regdar.jpg)), I was simply noting some of the possible derivations of such a disposition.

But in game we're talking about people ARE running away and slaying dragons, are able to sprint really fast carrying bow on their "backs", and to chaning weapons from the sword to this bow as a move and standard action. And that bow never interferes with anything. Never catches on something. And many other things.

If we want "realistic" game - which is fine although D&D probably isn't best for it - then scabbards aren't really the first problem to deal with.

For the sake of the game one can assume that if sword has scabbard, bearer can fasten it properly, so it's not a burden - beacuse why not?

tyckspoon
2009-10-02, 05:43 PM
However, not everyone in the party has Poison Use, so those members don't get to use the stuff and are getting a little left out (many missions involve capturing live monsters, making the poison borderline necessary).

So I've designed a special scabbard for these characters. You can load it with doses of a poison (up to three at a time), and push a hidden button (a free action) while drawing your sword, dosing it with the poison at no risk to yourself.

This seems like a generally handy item for any character to have, and will remain useful at higher levels due to better poisons becoming available, and there not being any other special scabbards to speak of anyway. So what do you think it should cost?

Pretty cheap; it should be an easy modification to actually build, and the cost of poison (and magic oils, which it should probably also be able to apply) is in the poison itself. Somewhere between the cost of masterworking a weapon and.. oh, 1000 gp or so, as per the general cost range of really minor magic. I'd make it a swift action to use, tho.

But if you're DMing, it'd probably be simpler to rule that applying poison does not in fact have a 1 in 20 risk of poisoning yourself unless specially trained. It's a dumb rule to start with.

Knaight
2009-10-02, 06:04 PM
Wow, that interpretation never occured to me.:smalleek: I'm gonna say anything you could do with a sword could be interpreted that way. Just normally you're busy stabbing others rather than handling it by yourself.

That one was deliberate. Admit it.

On another note, poison giving sheaths are brilliant. Magic or mundane.

ericgrau
2009-10-02, 09:17 PM
Mindsets like that are why we don't get any magic pants. 2 out of 3 people would crack jokes.

taltamir
2009-10-02, 09:48 PM

are we still being Freudian?

Yucca
2009-10-02, 10:05 PM
I always saw weapon augment crystals as basically the same effect as a magic sheath but without the need for a bizarre "one sheath to fit them all" explanation.

Think about it: only one at a time, can be attached to any weapon that meets the prerequisites, bestows magical abilities to the item/wielder.

It would be almost trivially easy to re-flavor them as magic sheaths or as enchantments on sheaths.

taltamir
2009-10-02, 10:26 PM
I always saw weapon augment crystals as basically the same effect as a magic sheath but without the need for a bizarre "one sheath to fit them all" explanation.

Think about it: only one at a time, can be attached to any weapon that meets the prerequisites, bestows magical abilities to the item/wielder.

It would be almost trivially easy to re-flavor them as magic sheaths or as enchantments on sheaths.

it would be stupid of a wizard to enchant a sheath when he can make a crystal that does the same and DOES fit them all... you could just say it is possible, but nobody bothers because it makes more sense to put it on a crystal, that can then be tied to a sheath. Want to change the item getting the bonus? move the crystal from the longsword sheath to another weapon's

but you could rule that those don't exist, and thus enchanted sheathes must do instead

Knaight
2009-10-02, 11:30 PM
I could at the very least see enchanting some sort of stitching that gets attached and removed from sheath to sheath. Lets not take this one in the Freudian sense.

Faulty
2009-10-02, 11:43 PM
You know what I never got?

How you "sheath"/draw a spiked chain. Where the Hell does that thing go when you're not wielding it?

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-02, 11:57 PM

That depends.

If you coat the inside of the sheathe with poison, then it would be mundane.

If it magically makes the weapon poisoned...well, i guess you can tell.

How you "sheath"/draw a spiked chain. Where the Hell does that thing go when you're not wielding it?

Most likely wrapped around the waist or over the shoulder.

Cicciograna
2009-10-03, 03:43 AM
But in game we're talking about people ARE running away and slaying dragons, are able to sprint really fast carrying bow on their "backs", and to chaning weapons from the sword to this bow as a move and standard action. And that bow never interferes with anything. Never catches on something. And many other things.

If we want "realistic" game - which is fine although D&D probably isn't best for it - then scabbards aren't really the first problem to deal with.

For the sake of the game one can assume that if sword has scabbard, bearer can fasten it properly, so it's not a burden - beacuse why not?

But we are saying the same thing! The complexity of D&D is far too low to consider the encumbrance of a scabbard (lest that of a bow!), it's a game, not a perfect modelization of reality, so it's perfectly fine for me to neglect scabbards' weight and bulk. What I was saying in my previous posts is that: if we had to consider their existence, and we would give them some mechanical aspects, we should take in consideration the effects of a scabbard fastened to the shoulders on the back, or at the belt, judging its effects on running, ducking and tumbling. This argument stems solely from the hypothetical assumption that sheaths could have some effect on the game: it's mere speculation.

Starscream
2009-10-03, 06:10 AM

Maybe you hang it on a hook on your belt...? Y'know, sort of like a whip?

Come to think of it, it's kind of hard to imagine "sheathing" a lot of weapons. A pole-arm for instance. It's long enough that if you strap it to your back it's either dragging on the floor, or sticking up a couple of feet above your head and forcing you to duck through doors.

Yuki Akuma
2009-10-03, 06:30 AM
Hey, serendipity! I was just coming here to ask a question about a scabbard, and there's a thread discussing them. I was feeling awkward about starting a thread for such a little question.

Here goes. In the campaign I'm DMing, the players are all fond of using a special poison I've allowed them to homebrew. It's basically a more expensive version of Drow poison with a higher DC which allows them to take enemies alive, and has become a sort of trademark of the party.

Sounds like one of those alchemical 'thongs' from Complete Adventurer. Which, as a bonus, don't require you to sheathe your weapon to use...

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-03, 06:42 AM
Hey, I remember in Forgotten realms there's the whole Peacebound weapons thing, that depends on sheaths, right?

SinsI
2009-10-03, 11:29 AM
There's an Assassin spell that allows you to use your body as the sheath for your secret weapon.

Faulty
2009-10-03, 12:11 PM
Maybe you hang it on a hook on your belt...? Y'know, sort of like a whip?

Those things are LONG. And spiky.

Most likely wrapped around the waist or over the shoulder.

Who would wrap a long barbed chain around their waist? Like, that is a total health hazard. And wouldn't "drawing" that be a pain? Like, you try to draw it and two of the barbs get stuck and you're uselessly pulling at it while the orc you're fighting shanks you.

only1doug
2009-10-03, 04:15 PM
well... a part of the female anatomy that starts with a V is latin for "sheath"... yea... cause you put your "sword" in it... oiling and rubbing optional.

It's entirely possible that the naming was done the other way around, the female anatomy named after the sheath in the crude venacular of the soldiers at the time. This has occured with farm workers, the sharpening stone for a sythe starts with a P (4 other letters, now a slang term for male generative organ) and its sheath is a C (3 more letters, now a slang term for female generative organ).

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-04, 12:07 AM
Sheath is also another name for a condom. :smalltongue:

Knaight
2009-10-04, 12:43 AM
Hence my mention earlier of not taking things in that sense when things went from sheath to sheath without actually being stored within.

Shadow_Elf
2009-10-04, 10:39 AM
tl;dr but, in 4e, there are about four or five magical sheaths in the Adventurer's Vault. 4e is D&D, though maybe not what you were looking for.

paddyfool
2009-10-04, 11:35 AM

Have you never read "Ghost Rider"? Someone wearing full body armour, especially full plate, could easily wrap one of these over his shoulder and around like Johnny Blaze or Danny Ketch.

random11
2009-10-04, 04:57 PM
Of course there are sheaths in D&D!

What do you think makes the cool ssssth sound when you draw your pretend sword?

imp_fireball
2009-10-04, 05:21 PM

Which comes to figure... in a world so blanketed by magic, why does the sword even exist to begin with?

Who would wrap a long barbed chain around their waist? Like, that is a total health hazard. And wouldn't "drawing" that be a pain? Like, you try to draw it and two of the barbs get stuck and you're uselessly pulling at it while the orc you're fighting shanks you.

What if you are a demon of pain (wrapped in spiky chains to eternally damn mortals), or say... you're wearing a special cloth covering (no AC/max dex penalty) to prevent the barbs from piercing you? It's all fluff really.

I think that the sheath should play some role in D&D, but not beneficial one.

So why even carry a weapon at all? A mace can bruise the legs, an axe can be painful to stub your toe on (never mind that stubbing the toe doesn't even deal so much as 1 point of damage whether you sheer a toenail or not).

Everyone should just be wizards and then the game will be called Wizards & Wizards by Wizards of the Coast. :smallbiggrin:

im assuming any weapon you find or purchase during a game that can be placed in a sheath would come with one. unless otherwise stated by the dungeon master.

It's all assumed, because in the real world there was probably a million different variations on the same type of mundane sword (assuming 'type' began to have any meaning at a relative period in time; there were probably faceless smiths in small hamlets whom tried to invent their own swords).