PDA

View Full Version : Help learning japanese

Froogleyboy
2009-10-03, 10:55 AM
Okay, I'm looking to learn a second language and I want to learn Japanese, can someone teach me? I'll give you a cookie :smallbiggrin:

Dogmantra
2009-10-03, 10:57 AM
I can't teach you, but I know the first thing you'll want to do: learn the Hirigana. Make flash cards or something. It's basically the alphabet.

SDF
2009-10-03, 11:07 AM
Then katakana, then sentence structure and words with interspersed kanji in the mix.

I hear the Rosetta Stone program is pretty good if they don't offer classes in your area. You will want some kind of teacher/aid if you plan to take it seriously, as self taught is a rough way to do it and you can learn bad habits and misinformation.

Yora
2009-10-03, 11:10 AM
There are two options to start, I'd say.
- Get a teacher.
- Get a book.

At our University, students can take classes in languages for free, and I hope I can get into Japanese this semester. I don't know about other countries, but in Germany there's a huge network of people teaching about everything to adults on evenings. I'd start looking for something like that in your area first.
There are also a number of good, and probably a much larger number of bad books that can teach you the basics of a language. But without a techer, I don't think it will ever get you really far.

And to master a language, there's only ONE way! Or three ways if you want: Practice, practice, and practice! :smallyuk:
But speaking a language is not the only type of practice you can get. Reading books and watching movies can also help a lot. I got the basics of my english from 7 years at school (most people I know are still really bad after 9) and have never been to an english speaking country. It's all from reading books and watching movies in english.
With Japanese, this gets you in a quite good position. There are tonnes of mangas, that have little text and lots of pictures, that help you understand what's going on. And it's very wasy to get japanese movies on DVD with english subtitles.
I could not ask a persons name in japanese, but I think I know about 300 japanese words, all almost exclusively from wathing subed animes. :smallbiggrin:

littlequietguy
2009-10-03, 11:56 AM
Okay, I'm looking to learn a second language and I want to learn Japanese, can someone teach me? I'll give you a cookie :smallbiggrin:

Who on this forum would really take months of time and PMing to teach you a new language? That seems near impossible and unrealistic. Google a language teacher thingy.

potatocubed
2009-10-03, 12:14 PM
I made pretty good progress with My Japanese Coach on the DS. Combined with other techniques (especially someone to have conversations with) it makes for a decent learning tool.

Galileo
2009-10-03, 04:15 PM
I agree with the complementary technique of watching a lot of subbed anime. I know more Japanese from watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann than French from three years of study.

Dogmantra
2009-10-03, 07:01 PM
I hear the Rosetta Stone program is pretty good

If that's the same one I'm thinking of, don't bother. My brother got it for Japanese, and it was terrible. It uses photos rather than translations, which is fine when you're doing basic things like "cat" and "mother", but later on you get pictures like a businessman jumping off a table: is that table, jumping, businessman, jumping businessman, jumping off a table or some other combination?

Icewalker
2009-10-03, 07:05 PM
I agree with the complementary technique of watching a lot of subbed anime. I know more Japanese from watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann than French from three years of study.

Of course, this only applies if you really focus on the speech and the subtitles, and is definitely a complementary action, not an initial one.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-03, 07:10 PM
If you're serious, I've had a few decent books reccomended to me, most commonly "Genki" and "Japanese for Busy People", both of which have self-study versions.
Without serious study and schooling, for a language such as Japanese, you cannot be expect to so much as pass the Level 4 JLPT.
I can get the names of a few good books from a couple of JLPT 3s (Currently studying for 2) I know, and possibly information from any 2s or 1s they know.
(I am unable to pass JLPT 4.), if you desire and are, of course, serious.

Froogleyboy
2009-10-03, 07:13 PM
What is JLPT?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-03, 07:40 PM
JLPT stands for Japanese Language Proficency Test.
It is a (Semi?) annual test administered by the government of Japan to judge your fluency with the language. I'm pretty sure theres some offical reason for it like determining what jobs you may be allowed to be hired for or Japanese citizenship. there are four levels, with 4 being the lowest and 1 being the highest and practically synonymous with fluent.
supposedly, the biggest knowledge gap exists between levels 2 and 3.

Xallace
2009-10-03, 07:42 PM
The Genki textbook is very good, I'd suggest getting your hands on it if you can. Smart.fm (http://smart.fm/) is a great site for vocab, Japanese or otherwise.

littlebottom
2009-10-03, 08:29 PM
having recently began learning japanese myself (as in started a couple months back) i advise you to get some one who knows the language fluently to help you from time to time, otherwise it will be extreamly hard... and learn your kana! no really, learn them!

あえいおう = AEIOU (alphabetical for us)

あいうえお = AIUEO (the order they generally use)

(and just a note, that was hirigana, not katakana, which are the 2 types of kana, learn both)

Lioness
2009-10-03, 09:09 PM
I'm probably not so good with actually teaching it, but if you have questions my PM box is open.

I second what others have said. Learn hiragana (first and foremost). find the symbols (there are some good charts on deviantart) and make up pictures that correspond to the sound! It sounds stupid, but to this day I still remember あ as a fish being stabbed with a sword, and then saying 'ah'