PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have any luck with that Geek 2 Geek dating site? Any advice?

Pika...
2009-10-03, 07:04 PM
While I have always thought of the idea of dating sites somewhat pathetic, I think I qualify at this point. :smallsigh:

So at the advice of an older gaming friend of mine, who's in his 40s pimping out D&D gamer girls my age, to try that site out. I did last weekend, and I came across two profiles that interested me.

One turned out to be a girl from a local Gamestop I had met, but she is way to much for me to handle, way out of my league, and I did not meet her "requirements".

The other seemed more (calm?), nice looking, and based on her profile and wants more conservative and has more moral values. To boot all this, and she lists "other" as her religion (I am not Christian, yet like well brought up girls...). Problems are she is very pretty, and she says she wants someone she can take home to show her parents. I am neither good looking, now do I feel I am bringing to a family reunion material.

So, anyone used this site, or similar sites before that are willing to share their experiences?

Anyone got some other/misc. advice?

ps. Please note I have no dating experience, and it turned out the only girl who ever liked me got PO'd because I never noticed it (I just assumed she was a nice person who was willing to hang out with me, and I appreciated having a good friend...).

Dr. Bath
2009-10-03, 07:15 PM
'Take home to show the parents' doesn't necessarily mean underwear model. In fact it would normally be better to be 'homely' looking than supermodelish. I think she just means someone pleasant and likable without any obvious problems. :smalltongue: You'll be fine, just have a go at it. You never know, it might work out. Be positive about (not too positive 'and we will get married and have a house and 2.4 children and a dog called fido' that's a bit much) and it will at least be a fun and formitive experience.

Pika...
2009-10-03, 07:20 PM
...without any obvious problems...

Well, there is where a set of problems lie. I am bipolar, and have (now) mild OCD.

Serious issues be serious.

RS14
2009-10-03, 07:36 PM
Well, there is where a set of problems lie. I am bipolar, and have (now) mild OCD.

Serious issues be serious.

You can use that logic to justify not entering any relationship. Either resign yourself to being alone, or accept that you may be rejected for those reasons, and try anyway. I advocate the later.

Edit: And unless you've got a criminal record, drug addiction, or conspicuous body mods (no offense to those who have them, just how it is), you're probably presentable to her parents.

Dr. Bath
2009-10-03, 07:41 PM
You can use that logic to justify not entering any relationship. Either resign yourself to being alone, or accept that you may be rejected for those reasons, and try anyway. I advocate the later.

Edit: And unless you've got a criminal record, drug addiction, or conspicuous body mods (no offense to those who have them, just how it is), you're probably presentable to her parents.

See that's what I mean. Obvious things. Psychological things aren't a problem. My dad's bipolar, but that's not the reason my grandma hates him (she hates him because he's a different religion)

You'll be plenty presentable.

Pyrian
2009-10-03, 07:42 PM
Real geeks go to OkCupid. :smallwink:

RS14
2009-10-03, 07:54 PM

If he's having good results with this, does it matter?

Besides, he can still visit for the blog.

Felixaar
2009-10-03, 08:18 PM
If you give up before you even try, then you'll always fail :smallconfused:

What have you got to lose?

TheBST
2009-10-03, 08:22 PM

That's a damned lie. Real geeks get too nervous, and decide to watch Naruro and have a good cry instead.

Anyway yeah- screw it, take a chance.

averagejoe
2009-10-03, 08:31 PM
That's a damned lie. Real geeks get too nervous, and decide to watch Naruro and have a good cry instead.

Anyway yeah- screw it, take a chance.

Real geeks watch Babylon 5 while they're crying, not Naruto. :smalltongue:

But, yeah, same advice as everyone else.

Guinea Anubis
2009-10-03, 08:32 PM
man I feel old I used Love at AOL back when it was free to meet my wife.

Faulty
2009-10-03, 09:03 PM
Real geeks die alone.

oyhr
2009-10-03, 09:11 PM
Real geeks watch Babylon 5 while they're crying, not Naruto. :smalltongue:

But, yeah, same advice as everyone else.

Real geeks [insert pretentious activity here] when they're crying. You are small time.

Faulty
2009-10-03, 09:20 PM
Real geeks read the wikipedia pages of famous philosophers and then lecture people on how much more they know about the higher, intellectual spheres of knowledge.

EDIT: While crying inside.

TheBST
2009-10-03, 09:24 PM
Real geeks [insert pretentious activity here] when they're crying. You are small time.

Only if by 'pretentious activity' you mean 'two-handed self abuse'.

ghost_warlock
2009-10-03, 09:25 PM
Real geeks bite the heads off of chickens. :smallmad:

Edit: Note that this activity might very well disqualify you from family reunions if you don't at least change your clothes before attending.

Pyrian
2009-10-03, 09:27 PM
Wow. My half-joking aside either totally ruined or thoroughly improved this thread (depending on your perspective). :smallcool:

badam104172
2009-10-03, 09:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that sites a scam... I don't know though, good luck.

raitalin
2009-10-03, 09:45 PM
I've looked through the site, and it seems fine. Too pricey for me to actually sign up for, but it basically delivers what it claims (i.e. lots of girls that play WoW and/or read).

The best part about online dating is that rejection is actually pretty painless, so don't sweat it. Seriously, you get lots of time to think of clever things while your writing an e-mail/IM, and don't have to worry about triping over your tongue. So yeah, just go for it.

Personally I've had the best luck on plentyoffish.com, as its free. The amount of people on it is pretty overwhelming, but just make your search very specific and you'll get a reasonable selection.

Escef
2009-10-03, 11:56 PM
man I feel old I used Love at AOL back when it was free to meet my wife.

And how much does it cost to meet your wife now?

Ba-dum-TING!

Pika...
2009-10-05, 06:47 PM
I've looked through the site, and it seems fine. Too pricey for me to actually sign up for, but it basically delivers what it claims (i.e. lots of girls that play WoW and/or read).

The best part about online dating is that rejection is actually pretty painless, so don't sweat it. Seriously, you get lots of time to think of clever things while your writing an e-mail/IM, and don't have to worry about triping over your tongue. So yeah, just go for it.

Personally I've had the best luck on plentyoffish.com, as its free. The amount of people on it is pretty overwhelming, but just make your search very specific and you'll get a reasonable selection.

Online dating?

I thought that/those sites were merely to meet people, and then go out normally...

I do not have any off the later.

I guess I fear the eventual rejection more than the initial kind. Considering that 50% of people/marriages end up in divorce, and I am six times likelier than the average person to end in divorce I just know I will eventually push the person away with my issues.

See that's what I mean. Obvious things. Psychological things aren't a problem. My dad's bipolar, but that's not the reason my grandma hates him (she hates him because he's a different religion)

May I ask how long their marriage lasted?

Or if they managed to still be together, how does your mother deal with the problems?

RS14
2009-10-05, 08:32 PM
I guess I fear the eventual rejection more than the initial kind. Considering that 50% of people/marriages end up in divorce, and I am six times likelier than the average person to end in divorce I just know I will eventually push the person away with my issues.

Then either don't date, or accept the risk and enjoy your relationships while you can. Personally, I recommend the later. There is of course risk, but it sounds as if you do want a relationship. Take your time, and make sure you can handle one another.

For what it's worth, I dated a bipolar girl for several years. And though we did eventually break up (due to my issues, rather than hers), we've remained good friends.

Thajocoth
2009-10-05, 08:49 PM
You're rationalizing doing nothing. One of the biggest problems with dating sites is that you get so much information on the other person, that you're bound to find a problem, even in an absolutely perfect match. (The problem of having no problems, or being "too perfect".)

For this same reason, chance of rejection on a dating site is actually higher than meeting somebody IRL. They will also go through your profile and justify doing nothing by finding a problem, no matter how insignificant.

This is what keeps the dating sites well populated. Sure, some people do find people on them... But that's not the average case.

So send both of your matches a message. What have you got to lose? It's unlikely that both will respond favorably, and even on the off chance they do, after a few dates with each it should be pretty easy to decide what to do next.

At least you're in a datable position. Three months from now, I don't know where in the country I'll be living. I don't really want to hook up with someone then suddenly go "Ok, I'm off to California! Maybe we'll meet again some day!". That's my excuse for not pursuing the dating of anyone since early this passed May.

SoD
2009-10-06, 08:05 AM

May I ask how long their marriage lasted?

Important bits bolded. I should hope their marriage didn't actually happen...that could be as awkward as my spelling is.

And Pika...: remember this; yeah. You might give it a go, and there's a chance something will go horribly horribly wrong. Or, you two might get along brilliantly and end up being the best couple ever. There's always a chance you two are meant for each other. It might be a small chance. It might be a tiny chance. It might not. But the only way it'll be no chance, is if you don't take the chance.

Also, I used a similar speech to my girlfriend before she became my girlfriend. There were definatly feelings, but she'd recently had a sudden break-up and didn't want to commit yet in fear of getting hurt again. I like to think it was this speech that helped her get over it, although in actuality, it probably just confused her slightly.

Ooh, new OOTS comic!

Edit: Yes! Thri-keen!

Pika...
2009-10-16, 11:22 PM
So this has all been going through my head since I made this thread, and I have considered and looked at various options (my brother even suggested Craiglist, which I just surfed).

I guess you are all right, and thanks for that. I have decided it's time to go out and do something, but always make my problems clear up front.

I am just clueless as to where to start or what to do. Hence I am hoping for a wee bit more advice?

First of all, kinda broke at the moment helping out with family bills and a semester class I had to repeat. So I need to save up. What is the minimum I would need to have to begin dating, and the minimum I need to have at all times to keep a girl happy?

After that: ??????

ps. Somewhere on here I (I believe it was on my thread about becoming a single father) someone suggested perhaps looking for (when I finish my degree of course) a girl who is in the situation I am looking for already, but the responsible one...well you can guess. At first I was like "That is a insane idea. Adoption maybe, but this is a lot worse". But as time went on I kept remembering a story from an English class back in high school about a man in Asia who wa solder, single, and alone. One day a younger woman wondering alone passed by, and asked for a night's stay (my guess a runaway? or a "shamed" daughter?). The next day she said something on the lines of "You are lonely, and I am young and have no where to go. Why not just get married?". So the guy ended up happy (and it seemed the girl did too), so much so that the new wife had to get an artist to make a painting of herself to hang on a tree in the fields because the guy kept running back to check on her (basically, a sweet story Is till remember),.

I am remmbered of this topic because while looking through craigslist for the first time (admittedly a bit surprised) I just saw a post matching both the advice above and the story I remembered (the girl is 18, and if I was done with my degree I shamefully admit I'd be tempted).

Basically, my question is do stories like that actually workout? It is not a route I really want in life, but I have heard from a feminist professor that mail-order brides can work "if the guy is a good guy" (we were discussing "nice guys finishing last" after class), so I wonder about this.

However, I fully intend to try getting my confidence up and trying it the old-fashioned (dating) way thanks to you folks. :smallsmile:

Important bits bolded. I should hope their marriage didn't actually happen...that could be as awkward as my spelling is.

And Pika...: remember this; yeah. You might give it a go, and there's a chance something will go horribly horribly wrong. Or, you two might get along brilliantly and end up being the best couple ever. There's always a chance you two are meant for each other. It might be a small chance. It might be a tiny chance. It might not. But the only way it'll be no chance, is if you don't take the chance.

Also, I used a similar speech to my girlfriend before she became my girlfriend. There were definatly feelings, but she'd recently had a sudden break-up and didn't want to commit yet in fear of getting hurt again. I like to think it was this speech that helped her get over it, although in actuality, it probably just confused her slightly.

Ooh, new OOTS comic!

Edit: Yes! Thri-keen!

I meant his parents...

Anyway, thank you for the help. Much appreciate the speech. :smallsmile:

Faulty
2009-10-16, 11:41 PM
Basically, my question is do stories like that actually workout? It is not a route I really want in life, but I have heard from a feminist professor that mail-order brides can work "if the guy is a good guy" (we were discussing "nice guys finishing last" after class), so I wonder about this.

You should go to the Relationship Woes and Advice thread. Also, I really wouldn't suggest mail-order brides... it's ethically questionable and it doesn't matter if the guy is good if the girl is just interested in getting citizenship and then ditching.

Pika...
2009-10-16, 11:46 PM
Also, I really wouldn't suggest mail-order brides... it's ethically questionable and it doesn't matter if the guy is good if the girl is just interested in getting citizenship and then ditching.

Figured. But I still can't get past my college philosophy female feminist professor personally believing it can work. Sort of surprised me (and along with other conversations with her showed me true feminists are not man-hates like I was stupidly led to believe).

Death, your friend the Reaper
2009-10-16, 11:59 PM
(not too positive 'and we will get married and have a house and 2.4 children and a dog called fido' that's a bit much)

((Beginners mistake that Fido one, tell them you're planning on calling it DogMeat if it's a geek 2 geek site!))

Well, I know everyone is advocating going for it, but maybe go for it slowly if you can? Just "hey, saw your profile" and talk to her over that? Worse comes to worse it doesn't work out to start? And you may gain a new friend. If you see it as gaining a potential friend maybe into romance, if rejection comes it won't be to bad?

Faulty
2009-10-17, 12:08 AM
Figured. But I still can't get past my college philosophy female feminist professor personally believing it can work. Sort of surprised me (and along with other conversations with her showed me true feminists are not man-hates like I was stupidly led to believe).

I was surprised when you said it was a feminist philosophy professor. Didn't seem like something one would say. I'd still advise against it.

Pika...
2009-10-17, 12:13 AM
I was surprised when you said it was a feminist philosophy professor. Didn't seem like something one would say. I'd still advise against it.

My apologies! I mistyped. She is a psychology professor. I am not even sure how I messed that up...

And I agree. More so because there is no true love there, though.

Thajocoth
2009-10-17, 12:35 AM
What is the minimum I would need to have to begin dating, and the minimum I need to have at all times to keep a girl happy?

$0 for both if you find one that likes you for you. Infinity dollars if you find one who doesn't.

UserClone
2009-10-17, 01:42 AM
My advice is go to OkCupid.com. Geek2geek sucks. And no, I haven't read the rest of the thread.

Adlan
2009-10-17, 07:35 AM
My apologies! I mistyped. She is a psychology professor. I am not even sure how I messed that up...

And I agree. More so because there is no true love there, though.

True love isn't necessary to make a marriage work (Says the single 20 year old), and, depending on your view of love, it can grow over time with shared experience.

Faulty
2009-10-17, 11:46 AM
It's arguable whether true love exists. Either way, love really seems to come out of mutual experiences, and getting to know each other, and loving the parts of each other that you find. You can't really buy that.

loopy
2009-10-17, 12:08 PM
Not that I particularly need a date atm, but I created a profile, because one of the girls on Geek 2 Geek had a profile that intrigued me.

Schaffer1979
2009-10-17, 07:10 PM
I'm sure love does exist, not questioning that philosophical aspect.

As for love being necessary to make a marriage or a relationship work, it's not necessary. Love being the ideal basis for a marriage foundation is actually rather modern for the most part as it originated as a way for families to solidify unions and alliances for economical reasons.

I'm not saying one is better than the other.

Frankly, many relationships that don't start out with love but do start out with clear communication and an agreement of expectations and a willingness to work towards the same objective will work out though not always so passionately.

Relationships change over the years. And I agree also with the advice previously offered, nothing ventured nothing gained. But rejection hurts and makes one bitter and it's a scary process for some of us no matter how many times we have done it.

----
And just in case I draw some backlash because I mentioned love not being a basis for a relationship...I have experienced both types. My longest running relationship is currently active because we are friends, agree on the same moral and ethical values, and have the same economical goals as well as a desire to raise our child with the child as first priority. We recently took in a son of a friend in jail as well. The focus of our household is the children and our friendship.

I admit to sometimes wishing I had the more passionately satisfying relationship as the lovers united forever but reality frequently intrudes and I can live without the emotional roller coaster of a relationship built on attraction and infatuation but I couldn't live without the sense of stabilty and security we have built for our family. We have, at the end of the day, a home to come into that is cozy, safe, and a sanctuary against the real world troubles we face day to day.

Sometimes I do get lonely but then I talk to a friend or look at what I have. I do not have OCD or bipolarity though I suffer bouts of depression sometimes and I have problems with anxiety, which can cause me to have some of the same social issues as the original poster might experience.

My advice is to write down what you want out of a relationship and start those relationships with friendship and similiar interests. Finding a person who is already a gamer is fun, too. Our nearest friend recently brought his girlfriend into our gaming circle and when they married, there were a lot of inside jokes in their vows for us gamers; one of which was the bride saying she wanted to be his gaming partner for life. Totally, awesome and while I bet he was lonely at times, totally worth the wait, too.

They are both in their late 30's to early 40's.

In a rush to find something to cure the sense of aloneness, we can make hasty decisions that hurt us later but the others are right. You won't ever know until you try. Just don't look too hard that you envision what's there, but is really not.

And maybe try out some local gamer hangouts. My roommate/friend/companion and I met in 1997 at a DnD game and remained friends for about 6 years before we entered into a relationship. He was a sorcerer and I was a ranger with a cougar he admired. I dont' remember the game then but we still game now. And it's very nice having a companion with the same interests because it means no explanations if you blow off a chore now and then to game...though it does mean I get grouchy and nag when it's time to clean.

Pika...
2009-10-17, 09:53 PM
$0 for both if you find one that likes you for you. Infinity dollars if you find one who doesn't.

But then I can not take her out on dates and such.

My advice is go to OkCupid.com. Geek2geek sucks. And no, I haven't read the rest of the thread.

Eh, I have nothing to lose. Will do. Need to start getting active! :smallsmile:

True love isn't necessary to make a marriage work (Says the single 20 year old), and, depending on your view of love, it can grow over time with shared experience.

Isn't that the arranged marriage cultural view on the subject?

I'm sure love does exist, not questioning that philosophical aspect.

As for love being necessary to make a marriage or a relationship work, it's not necessary. Love being the ideal basis for a marriage foundation is actually rather modern for the most part as it originated as a way for families to solidify unions and alliances for economical reasons.

I'm not saying one is better than the other.

Frankly, many relationships that don't start out with love but do start out with clear communication and an agreement of expectations and a willingness to work towards the same objective will work out though not always so passionately.

Relationships change over the years. And I agree also with the advice previously offered, nothing ventured nothing gained. But rejection hurts and makes one bitter and it's a scary process for some of us no matter how many times we have done it.

----
And just in case I draw some backlash because I mentioned love not being a basis for a relationship...I have experienced both types. My longest running relationship is currently active because we are friends, agree on the same moral and ethical values, and have the same economical goals as well as a desire to raise our child with the child as first priority. We recently took in a son of a friend in jail as well. The focus of our household is the children and our friendship.

I admit to sometimes wishing I had the more passionately satisfying relationship as the lovers united forever but reality frequently intrudes and I can live without the emotional roller coaster of a relationship built on attraction and infatuation but I couldn't live without the sense of stabilty and security we have built for our family. We have, at the end of the day, a home to come into that is cozy, safe, and a sanctuary against the real world troubles we face day to day.

Sometimes I do get lonely but then I talk to a friend or look at what I have. I do not have OCD or bipolarity though I suffer bouts of depression sometimes and I have problems with anxiety, which can cause me to have some of the same social issues as the original poster might experience.

My advice is to write down what you want out of a relationship and start those relationships with friendship and similiar interests. Finding a person who is already a gamer is fun, too. Our nearest friend recently brought his girlfriend into our gaming circle and when they married, there were a lot of inside jokes in their vows for us gamers; one of which was the bride saying she wanted to be his gaming partner for life. Totally, awesome and while I bet he was lonely at times, totally worth the wait, too.

They are both in their late 30's to early 40's.

In a rush to find something to cure the sense of aloneness, we can make hasty decisions that hurt us later but the others are right. You won't ever know until you try. Just don't look too hard that you envision what's there, but is really not.

And maybe try out some local gamer hangouts. My roommate/friend/companion and I met in 1997 at a DnD game and remained friends for about 6 years before we entered into a relationship. He was a sorcerer and I was a ranger with a cougar he admired. I dont' remember the game then but we still game now. And it's very nice having a companion with the same interests because it means no explanations if you blow off a chore now and then to game...though it does mean I get grouchy and nag when it's time to clean.

Thank you for the advice, and for sharing your own personal experience. very kind of you.

I see there are two viewpoints on this, yours and Faulty's. Being completely unexperienced I guess I will have to learn the hard way which is true/right.

However, I do (or at least would like to) believe in love. I am not sure if that makes me bias, but I would not like to end up with a mere "companion" where I feel lonely at times (to each his/her own of course! it is just not what I would desire for myself).

I like your righting down what I want out of a relationship idea The only thing is I am not sure who you mean to " and start those relationships with friendship and similiar interests". As a gamer girl/woman I imagine you already know you are not exactly easy to find, and the few out there have their pick of the "geek litter" as Triumph said. Hence usually only games tore employees, the most charismatic of gamers (usually the best of the best DMs by no surprise), and/or gamers who are attractive to the point you would never think of them as gamers get them.

Any way, may I please ask if you feel this list is acceptable?
1. Someone.
2. Someone to obey.
3. Someone to serve.
4. Someone to try to make happy.

I am clear that I am aiming at making the relationship completely about the other person, which I like the thought of.

Prak
2009-10-18, 07:48 PM

you'd be surprised the number of good nerd chicks there are that don't want someone presentable, and would much rather have someone with which to "tick off daddy."

valadil
2009-10-18, 10:16 PM
Never heard of Geek 2 Geek. Had some luck with okCupid though.

Yeah, I can understand why it's pathetic. I started using it after college. Half my friends moved away and all my social life was back on campus. To put it simply I didn't know how to be social after college. I was meeting nobody. Using a dating site may be pathetic, but meeting no girls is even more pathetic. So I went on okCupid.

Dated around for a year. Had some hookups, but no good dates. Most of the time I'd meet someone interesting, but we'd have no chemistry whatsoever. All in all, it was a good way to practice for job interviews. Then I met a girl on it, stuck with her, deleted the account, and 2 years later we're engaged. Even if I didn't meet her online, okC set up some good practice dates.

Here's some of what I learned about the online dating experience:

Men are creeps. If you don't act like a creep you'll be ahead of 95% of the men online.
Low ratings are usually accurate. High ratings are about 50% accurate. At least with okCupid.
There is a lot of polyamoury on okC. Look it up if you're not familiar with it. If you're not comfortable with that, say so in your profile. For whatever reason, poly girls really like me. While I found them interesting, I couldn't date them seriously.

Tharivol123
2009-10-19, 02:32 AM
But then I can not take her out on dates and such.

Number one mistake us guys typically make in regards to relationships. Throughout the many relationships I've gone through, it is typically the cheaper more honest dates that are the best. Think of all the free or cheap things in your area, get a good list of them. Any one of these things, or any combination of them that can be done in a day in any order, can be a good date. Having extra cash is nice in terms of gifts, etc., but you can be broke and still do a good job on the date front.

Pika...
2009-10-20, 11:22 AM
Number one mistake us guys typically make in regards to relationships. Throughout the many relationships I've gone through, it is typically the cheaper more honest dates that are the best. Think of all the free or cheap things in your area, get a good list of them. Any one of these things, or any combination of them that can be done in a day in any order, can be a good date. Having extra cash is nice in terms of gifts, etc., but you can be broke and still do a good job on the date front.

Hmm.

Thanks for the information. I will give it a try.

However, I just got paid and have around $180 disposable income.

Would trying to get Paramount (sp?) to offer a girl/friend I know LOVES them for a local upcoming concert be too expensive?

Sipex
2009-10-20, 11:51 AM
you'd be surprised the number of good nerd chicks there are that don't want someone presentable, and would much rather have someone with which to "tick off daddy."

This is a bad assumption to go in with, in fact, any assumption is a bad assumption to go in with. I had assumptions like this all the time and know how many dates I got with it? ZERO.

You assume they won't like you because you assume they want a stereotypical bad boy, maybe their profile even says that but that could also be a good indicator that they don't actually know what they want and are going with stereo types.

Best advice in this situation? If you like a girl then talk to her.

Pika...
2009-11-11, 03:29 AM
OK, I finally got the nerve to fill out my profile on OkCupid.com.

Here's hoping, but I made it clear not to make lite my "issues". I wish to be very upfront about that.

stickplayer
2013-07-25, 12:18 PM
While I have always thought of the idea of dating sites somewhat pathetic, I think I qualify at this point. :smallsigh:

So at the advice of an older gaming friend of mine, who's in his 40s pimping out D&D gamer girls my age, to try that site out. I did last weekend, and I came across two profiles that interested me.

One turned out to be a girl from a local Gamestop I had met, but she is way to much for me to handle, way out of my league, and I did not meet her "requirements".

The other seemed more (calm?), nice looking, and based on her profile and wants more conservative and has more moral values. To boot all this, and she lists "other" as her religion (I am not Christian, yet like well brought up girls...). Problems are she is very pretty, and she says she wants someone she can take home to show her parents. I am neither good looking, now do I feel I am bringing to a family reunion material.

So, anyone used this site, or similar sites before that are willing to share their experiences?

Anyone got some other/misc. advice?

ps. Please note I have no dating experience, and it turned out the only girl who ever liked me got PO'd because I never noticed it (I just assumed she was a nice person who was willing to hang out with me, and I appreciated having a good friend...).

I'd stay away from Geek2Geek. After about 9 months there, I can say they have VERY few people, scattered all over the world. The site works ok, but has bugs which they will never fix. There hasn't been a content update the entire time I've been there. Customer support is desultory and self-righteous, and there are many reports of unauthorized credit card charges.

I did meet one girl. She had failed to mention her multiple drug addictions (current) and intense psychological disorders (diagnosed).

Jon_Dahl
2013-07-28, 02:21 AM
I don't know about Geek 2 Geek, but I've used Plenty of Fish. It took me about hmmm four days to find my current girlfriend. That site's been #1 in a handful of countries over the past few years.

Originally I went there to find some Eastern European girl, but I found a Brazilian instead. From what I can see, lots of Americans and Canadians use that site too.

POF is not that convenient if you're not willing to relocate or date through Skype/instant messenger at first. But that's geeky, isn't it?

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-29, 12:09 AM
I'd stay away from Geek2Geek. After about 9 months there, I can say they have VERY few people, scattered all over the world. The site works ok, but has bugs which they will never fix. There hasn't been a content update the entire time I've been there. Customer support is desultory and self-righteous, and there are many reports of unauthorized credit card charges.

I did meet one girl. She had failed to mention her multiple drug addictions (current) and intense psychological disorders (diagnosed).
Sheriff: Thread necromancy.