PDA

View Full Version : odd...problem. Medical/physical.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-04, 01:08 AM
Edit:I'm a lot better now. Marks are still there but they're not red they've pretty much healed up. No infection. Thanks everyone who's helped by giving advice.(leaving post up for record so i don't have to re-explain self >.>

First of all. i want you all to know I'm fine ...mostly. Nothing hazardous or bad happening.

Due to recent events involving me duking it out with a few nice chaps carrying blades of sorts, i find myself in a predicament.

I didn't get stabbed... i wouldn't be on if i did. I didnt even bleed. The two guys are arrested and the girl is safe. What happened though...is a bit of the knife connected to my back a few times and scratched it up. I'm not in pain, but my back is extremely itchy and i have to lay on my back to sleep (can't lay on side and sleep, messes with airway uncomfortably. so does anyone know anything i can do to solve the scratched up back itchyness problem? I dont really have any supplies on hand but I'd really love to hear a solution. otherwise it looks like another night i stay up till 5 or 6.

<3 all you playgrounders :smallbiggrin:

-Wrath

Innis Cabal
2009-10-04, 01:13 AM
Ice helps. Bandage up your back with an icy hot patch. That should get rid of the issue.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-04, 01:14 AM
Ice helps. Bandage up your back with an icy hot patch. That should get rid of the issue.

Thanks! i was actually getting ice when I came back to check this :smallbiggrin:.

Lorien077
2009-10-04, 01:15 AM
How long ago did this happen? Their knives may not have been clean, so look out for infection.

What it probably is is your skin drying out around the scratches as it heals. Applying some sort of gel, preferably with antibiotics in it, might help. If you have some neosporin I'd apply that, and throw some bandages on top to keep the gel on your skin rather than on your clothes/sheets.

And it sounds like you were defending someone, despite you not giving any details. So kudos to you for being a nice guy. :)

Mando Knight
2009-10-04, 01:18 AM
Must've been some pretty bad knife fighters, if you managed to escape Rule 1 of knife fighting...

Moonshadow
2009-10-04, 01:26 AM
Must've been some pretty bad knife fighters, if you managed to escape Rule 1 of knife fighting...

Bring a gun? o.o

EndlessWrath
2009-10-04, 01:31 AM
How long ago did this happen? Their knives may not have been clean, so look out for infection.

What it probably is is your skin drying out around the scratches as it heals. Applying some sort of gel, preferably with antibiotics in it, might help. If you have some neosporin I'd apply that, and throw some bandages on top to keep the gel on your skin rather than on your clothes/sheets.

And it sounds like you were defending someone, despite you not giving any details. So kudos to you for being a nice guy. :)

This happened today a few hours ago. I cleaned up the scrapes..but they weren't that bad.

Good to know. I'll get neosporin but I have no bandages >.<

Yes. I was defending someone. Yes I am nice. I gave lack of details to avoid playgrounders worrying about me too much >.<. I <3 you guys too much, and it really isn't as bad as it sounds.

Rule 1 of knife fighting? They weren't bad. I just stopped them pretty quick. The martial arts and fighting tactics I've learned I don't spar with..because they're moves that have a chance to do permanent damage. So basically emergency only karate. This was an emergency. They didn't see me at first. I stopped them. Still wanna hear what rule 1 is o.O

-Wrath

edit:

Bring a gun? o.o

no... no gun. :smallfrown:

_Zoot_
2009-10-04, 01:34 AM
They didn't see me at first. I stopped them. Still wanna hear what rule 1 is

Isn't it "you will get cut"?

Also, your very modest, your talking about an injury (of sorts) that you got when defending some one from two knife wielding attackers like its nothing...

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-04, 02:01 AM
The itchiness is probably from dryness/healing and the fact that since it's on your back the skin is going to get stretched. Try aloe, or stretch mark cream.

Ichneumon
2009-10-04, 02:07 AM
Best advice: be easy on yourself and go see a doctor as soon as possible.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-04, 02:16 AM
Best advice: be easy on yourself and go see a doctor as soon as possible.

Thanks for worrying, but in all honesty, I'm fine. I get worse marks from my dog scratching me. I'm a tough kid and i know its not that bad (have first aid training.) I thank you for worrying about me, but in current financial bankruptcy I can't spend trips to doctor on things this little. <3

-Wrath

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-10-04, 04:49 AM
This happened today a few hours ago. I cleaned up the scrapes..but they weren't that bad.

Good to know. I'll get neosporin but I have no bandages >.<

Yes. I was defending someone. Yes I am nice. I gave lack of details to avoid playgrounders worrying about me too much >.<. I <3 you guys too much, and it really isn't as bad as it sounds.

Rule 1 of knife fighting? They weren't bad. I just stopped them pretty quick. The martial arts and fighting tactics I've learned I don't spar with..because they're moves that have a chance to do permanent damage. So basically emergency only karate. This was an emergency. They didn't see me at first. I stopped them. Still wanna hear what rule 1 is o.O

-Wrath

edit:

no... no gun. :smallfrown:
Rule Number 1 of a knife fight? If you let your opponent hit back, you're doing it wrong! Good thing those other guys didn't know that rule. :smallamused:

How's the back?

thubby
2009-10-04, 12:05 PM
i would be inclined to see a doctor, just to be safe. it's not like you get knifed on a regular basis.

Flickerdart
2009-10-04, 12:11 PM
Isn't it "you will get cut"?

Also, your very modest, your talking about an injury (of sorts) that you got when defending some one from two knife wielding attackers like its nothing...
He did get cut though. Rule 1 is, I believe, you will get stabbed.

SurlySeraph
2009-10-04, 12:17 PM
Rule 1 is "You will get cut." Rule 2 is "On a good day, you get to decide where." You seem to have had a very good day.

With that said, infection sounds like a pretty likely cause for what you're feeling. I recommend you go to a doctor, and soon; waiting around will only make it worse. If you don't want to go see a doctor unless absolutely necessary, have someone take a look at your back. Pus, redness, swelling, and (especially bad) little red lines spreading out from the scratches are all signs to look for.

Jacklu
2009-10-04, 12:48 PM
Yeah. The itchiness is from the skin healing. But seeing a doctor just to be careful is always a good idea. Thin cuts are notorious for generating very bad infections, specifically because they don't bleed. Bleeding is the bodies way of flushing the wound out and sterilizing it.

Trog
2009-10-04, 01:44 PM
The first rule about Knife Club is you do not talk about Knife Club! :smallmad:

Though seriously, glad to hear you and the girl are, for the most part, okay Wrathy. Well done. :smallsmile:

>.>
<.<
Psst.... did you get any loot from that encounter?

blackfox
2009-10-04, 01:54 PM
I thought Rule 1 of knife fighting was "Don't."

Keld Denar
2009-10-04, 02:13 PM
If you do choose to seek medical attention, consult with some type of lawyer type person to see if you can seek financial recourse from the attackers to cover the expenses. I can't see it being very difficult to win a civil lawsuit as long as you are mearly trying to recoup your medical expenses + legal fees. Might take a bit to get the money, but you could probably contract your lawyer to hold legal fees until judgement is passed.

Honestly, though, it doesn't sound like infection. Infections typically take a bit longer than a few hours to start causing inflamation as they attempt to overpower your local immune system. Still, Neosporin is NEVER a bad idea, if only for the fact that it minimizes permanent scarring. If it kills some bad bugs too, bonus, IMO. Avoid bending at the waist at all possible, as this stretches the skin throughout your whole back and could cause uncomfortable pulling on the wounds. Other than that, ice, and lots of it, in a plastic bag and then wrapped in a towel will difuse nicely and pull heat away from the wound to numb any discomfort. Change about every 2 hours, or as melting occurs.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-05, 12:36 AM
Thanks for a lot of the help everybody. The marks are pretty much gone, no redness at all. It's healed up quite nicely.

back being cut? Yeah.. i don't like it either. but it was that or face or her. So... I'd rather take it to the back. Good thing these guys were fail.

No more itchyness or other problems. so its all good really. Thanks guys :smallbiggrin:.

-Wrath

P.S. I think rule 1 of knifefight should be "don't"...as in "don't have a knife fight" XD

GoC
2009-10-05, 02:32 PM
I have to wonder... how in the world did you fight two guys with knives but only gets light cuts to the back?!:smallconfused::smallconfused::smallconfused :
Turning your back to two men with knives sounds like an extremely permanent mistake.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-10-05, 02:42 PM
I can imagine how. So, he says they didn't see him at first. He takes down one with a blow to the neck/shoulder joint area, the other one turns, and panics, and instead of stabbing, throws his arm wide. Wraith steps in close, inside of man 2's arm, and takes him out there, but man 2's knife-arm manages to scrape his back.

Make sense?

Linkavitch
2009-10-05, 02:44 PM
I thought Rule 1 of knife fighting was "Don't."

That would seem like the smart thing to do to me...

Congrats on the protecting helpless female thing. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DistressedDamsel)

RandomNPC
2009-10-05, 09:45 PM
its irritation from the unusual attention (unless you get a massage with knives on a weekly basis.) again with the neosporin.

also, kuddos on being another good person in the world, they're to few and much to far between.

HereticNox
2009-10-05, 10:18 PM
I would be worried about the knife being clean. You never know what that knife could have been used for, and the fact that it broke skin. You might want to get checked when you can afford it. Though the chances are low, but still best to be safe than sorry.

Though I must say kudos to you sir. You stepped up, and did what had to be done.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-06, 12:36 AM
I have to wonder... how in the world did you fight two guys with knives but only gets light cuts to the back?!:smallconfused::smallconfused::smallconfused :
Turning your back to two men with knives sounds like an extremely permanent mistake.

Weeeelllllll.... I was defending a girls..."honor" *ahem* from 3 people. The karate i know is for emergency use only, since its usually permanent damage. I broke one guy's leg immediately, turn, broke the second guys hand and took the knife away. I was wearing a hoodie at the time. 3rd guy (very big fail) swings at my back. my hoodie (poor thing :smallfrown:) was pretty thick and caught most of the knife. It hurt, but nothing too serious. I turned and put him down... rather harshly.. as in... nose breaking on asphalt harshly. Danger was gone. Last guy (one with broken hand) had turned and ran. Police haven't found him yet. The broken leg and the now prone / unconscious men were caught and arrested.

-Wrath

Khanderas
2009-10-06, 01:16 AM
The itchiness is probably from dryness/healing and the fact that since it's on your back the skin is going to get stretched. Try aloe, or stretch mark cream.
Quoted for truth.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-06, 01:35 AM
It's not infection. Sepsis would take AT LEAST three or so days to set in. And it wouldn't feel itchy... it would feel more like super soft skin (possibly a bump) with pus in it. Get two mirrors and look at the scratches. If they look dark red (like dried blood), you're safe. You only need to worry if you see either white or blackish pus.

Itching is just clotted blood sticking to non-damaged skin and pulling on it (kinda like tape).

Also, with a normal immune system you usually don't even need to worry about cuts or even stabs (tissue damage aside) as long as the knives weren't covered in feces or whatnot.

Some antiseptic cream to be safe is nice but you don't really need to worry.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-06, 01:40 AM
a sedative might help. I constantly use melatonin although I've been doing fine without it for a while.

GoC
2009-10-06, 07:06 AM
Weeeelllllll.... I was defending a girls..."honor" *ahem* from 3 people. The karate i know is for emergency use only, since its usually permanent damage. I broke one guy's leg immediately, turn, broke the second guys hand and took the knife away. I was wearing a hoodie at the time. 3rd guy (very big fail) swings at my back. my hoodie (poor thing :smallfrown:) was pretty thick and caught most of the knife. It hurt, but nothing too serious. I turned and put him down... rather harshly.. as in... nose breaking on asphalt harshly. Danger was gone. Last guy (one with broken hand) had turned and ran. Police haven't found him yet. The broken leg and the now prone / unconscious men were caught and arrested.

-Wrath

You're either insanely awesome or a good lier. In order to determine which I request you got into detail on the breaking of Thug 2's leg.:smallbiggrin:

EndlessWrath
2009-10-06, 11:12 PM
You're either insanely awesome or a good lier. In order to determine which I request you got into detail on the breaking of Thug 2's leg.:smallbiggrin:
Honestly.. I'm sad you don't believe me. And that you feel you'd have to test me on it. :smallfrown:

but if you insist and explanation: I side kicked into his knee. Kicking into the knee with enough force breaks the knee. Its not suppose to move side to side and it usually causes some sort of irreversible damage if pushed far enough.. I took several forms of martial arts before I found my niche. My niche just so happens to be the scary don't mess with kind.

-Wrath