Level: Rng 4, Drd 4
Components: S, M
Casting Time: One standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Personal
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

The caster instinctively knows the direction towards the precise location where they cast the Safe Return spell. The direction is a straight line from the caster's current position, whether or not that is the ideal path to follow. If a caster keeps track of which direction they travel, Safe Return can also give them an idea of where north lies by providing a reference point. Safe Return only functions on planes where Know Direction would also work, and cannot operate across planes.

Material
No material is needed to cast the spell, but by burning a rare incense that costs 50gp during the casting its duration is lengthened to 1/week level. Casting the spell with incense requires 10 minutes of meditation.

arguskos
2009-10-05, 09:31 AM
Eh... the duration is actually too low. Consider, for serious "deep in the wilds" travel, 1 day/level isn't that much. Maybe make it 1 week/level, and let it show the distance in miles to the location you cast it. These changes would let it be more of a "hey guys, we've gone 275 miles in these 4 weeks, we might wanna start moving back at some point now before we get totally lost..."

Just a thought. I do love the idea though.

Lysander
2009-10-05, 09:42 AM
Eh... the duration is actually too low. Consider, for serious "deep in the wilds" travel, 1 day/level isn't that much.

I added a way of extending the spell by burning an expensive incense while casting it.

Cieyrin
2009-10-05, 11:20 AM
I kinda have to agree with arguskos on the duration. It starts at a week from sheer CL but it's only useful for short journeys, it seems, going 3 days out and 3 days back, with a day to spare for whatever.

I also agree with the optional component to extend duration but why not just make the incense burning a fixed cost that changes the duration to 1 week/CL, say 50 gp of incense. Seems reasonable to me.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Lysander
2009-10-05, 11:55 AM
I kinda have to agree with arguskos on the duration. It starts at a week from sheer CL but it's only useful for short journeys, it seems, going 3 days out and 3 days back, with a day to spare for whatever.

I also agree with the optional component to extend duration but why not just make the incense burning a fixed cost that changes the duration to 1 week/CL, say 50 gp of incense. Seems reasonable to me.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Good advice. I've made the change.

deuxhero
2009-10-05, 01:03 PM
I would have made a bunch of breadcrumbs a mandatory component.

Lysander
2009-10-05, 03:39 PM
I would have made a bunch of breadcrumbs a mandatory component.

Hehe. How about this spell for that?

Backtrack
Divination
Level: Bard 1, Ranger 1, Druid 1
Components: V, S, M
Target: Personal
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: No

The caster sees every footstep they made over the past thirty days as a glowing outline on the floor. More recent footsteps appear brighter than older ones. This image only exists in the caster's own mind. Flying or swimming leaves no trail.

Material
A handful of breadcrumbs dropped on the floor

deuxhero
2009-10-06, 08:50 AM
So you see steps you made before you cast the spell of is the duration wacked? I like it though.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-06, 09:25 AM
Backtrack seems spot on to me, but Safe Return definitely doesn't feel like a level 4 spell. I'd consider it roughly equivalent in utility to a level 2 (or maybe even 1) to be honest. It certainly isn't in line with say Scrying in usefulness (particularly not by that level).

Lysander
2009-10-06, 09:30 AM
So you see steps you made before you cast the spell of is the duration wacked? I like it though.

Yeah, it shows footsteps you made before casting the spell (as well as any new ones you make I suppose). I figure it needs to be an hour a level to have use out in the wild when you'd be traveling back after your footsteps for a great distance.

How about this spell:

Starsight
Divination
Level: Bard 1, Ranger 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Ranger: Touch
Target: One person
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (Harmless)

A person under the effects of Starsight can see overhead stars through any obstacle that obstructs them as an overlay on their own vision. Heavy clouds, being indoors, underground, or even being blind does not stop the spell. If cast during the day the target will not see stars but can tell where the sun is through obstacles. No illumination is created by the spell, instead it is used to aid in navigation or recreational stargazing.